Stadium Series: Are you going?   

94 members have voted

1. 1. Stadium Series: Are you going?

• Yes, I purchased a ticket(s)
    • Yes, I received tickets for free or they included with my season tickets
    • No, tickets are too expensive
    • No, sight-lines at Yankee stadium are poor, TV will be better
    • No (other)

Awesome for you, do what makes you happy, and others will do the same.  Just because people have reasons for not going (they've been stated several times in this thread) doesn't make those reasons wrong or invalid by default. 

Just a theory on my part, but I think part of why some of the "I'd kill to go to one of these if the Devils play" crowd may have lost its enthusiasm is that the novelty of the event itself has worn off a bit...especially with so many games being played outdoors this year.  If the Devils/Rangers game was THE Winter Classic, I think a lot more people would've said "Screw the cold/sightlines/cost, I'm going!"    

And you know how incredibly silly that is right?  I have seen a lot of that phrase from a lot of Devils fans not going, but any non-delusional Devils fan knows the Devils would never ever be in a Winter Classic and this literally is the only way they could ever get an outdoor game.  Not only that, but what really is the difference between the Winter Classic and these SS games?  They are both worth 2 points, both are in outdoor stadiums not meant for hockey, will be cold and will cost a lot of money to go.  If the logo is the main reason they are staying away then they should realize it's either SS game or nothing at this point in terms of outdoor games.

And you know how incredibly silly that is right?  I have seen a lot of that phrase from a lot of Devils fans not going, but any non-delusional Devils fan knows the Devils would never ever be in a Winter Classic and this literally is the only way they could ever get an outdoor game.  Not only that, but what really is the difference between the Winter Classic and these SS games?  They are both worth 2 points, both are in outdoor stadiums not meant for hockey, will be cold and will cost a lot of money to go.  If the logo is the main reason they are staying away then they should realize it's either SS game or nothing at this point in terms of outdoor games.

I agree.  Stadium Series/Winter Classic all the same thing

Unless people refuse to go to this game because they couldn't watch a 24/7 on HBO about it?!?

Makes no sense to me either.

I think some people (and I'm not passively aggressively targeting anyone here, I mean it in the completely general sense) are just complainers by nature.

"Such bullsh!t man, the Devils will never get an outdoor game.  So unfaIr"

and then, naturally

"Man forget that, why would I go to an outdoor game when I could stay in on my warm couch for free.  So not worth it"

Can't please everyone.

Conversely the people worrying and ***ching about other fans really aren't any better. Besides have people really changed their tune, or is it more a case of some people complaining when we didn't have one and then others complaining they don't want to go afterwards. It's a board, generally the negative POV is going to be highlighted. Doesn't mean it's the 'same' people doing an about face.

Personally I've always wanted to see the Devils in an outdoor game, doesn't mean I want to actually GO to it myself. Why anyone cares whether other fans flip flop or not is beyond me.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I'm not saying the "logo" is the main reason, but for some I think it's definitely factoring in (not for me...I'm more trying to account for other viewpoints).  Like I said, if the Devils/Rangers were playing on New Year's Day in the Winter Classic, I think there'd be more enthusiasm (and not implying that there isn't any...clearly there's a lot of fans both Devils and Rangers that are very much into this, and those who aren't going are going to be watching somewhere).  Even if the WC is no more "important" from a standings and worth standpoint, I think the fact that there are a total of six outdoor games made this event lose something for some fans.   

Agree, the only way the Devils were getting an outdoor game was with the Stadium Series...it seems the only teams that get into the WC are Original 6 teams, the Pens and Caps (for obvious reasons), or, for whatever the reason, the Flyers.  It's great that the Devils are in an outdoor game (especially for Marty...I'd always hoped he'd get to be in one...that's probably the most compelling argument for the Devils appearing in this game.  Would've been nice if Marty was younger and less of a wild-card, but that is what it is...and at least the game is against a bitter rival).      

Is the SS oversaturation of a good thing?  We probably won't know the answer to that until after all of this year's SS games are completed, or if the NHL keeps doing it in the seasons to come.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Regardless of what we think here, the Devils-Rangers game is going to be sold out and packed out, I think that much is clear at this point.

What's up in the air is the Islanders-Rangers game. The Islanders and Rangers are playing each other 3 times in the span of 10 days. It's clear that giving them the second Yankee Stadium game was just an afterthought. Considering it's a Wednesday night, with Isles-Rangers at Madison Square Garden directly before AND after it makes it an almost impossible sell. We'll probably seeing giveaways to that game soon.

If the Devils/Rangers game was THE Winter Classic, I think a lot more people would've said "Screw the cold/sightlines/cost, I'm going!"    

I think that proves the validity of what I was saying. If it was the "Winter Classic" or the "Stadium Series" or whatever you want to call it, the weather is the weather. If people would go to the Winter Classic but not the Stadium Series with everything else being the same, that makes zero sense. Of course, we all know people will go to something just for the experience, how many people attend the Super Bowl or the Stanley Cup Finals despite not being big time fans?

Especially since you can't even say that the outdoor game concept has been overdone; you can maybe say that AFTER the Stadium Series, but at least here in the NY/NJ area, its still a novel concept (which you said in your subsequent post which I just read ). 

And I should add, if you don't want to go because its cold outside, hey that's a personal choice. But reference were made to the people who were "dying" to go to a Devils outdoor game, but now they say no, its too cold. They weren't going to do an outdoor game in the summer, so what did those people expect?

I think that proves the validity of what I was saying. If it was the "Winter Classic" or the "Stadium Series" or whatever you want to call it, the weather is the weather. If people would go to the Winter Classic but not the Stadium Series with everything else being the same, that makes zero sense. Of course, we all know people will go to something just for the experience, how many people attend the Super Bowl or the Stanley Cup Finals despite not being big time fans?

Especially since you can't even say that the outdoor game concept has been overdone; you can maybe say that AFTER the Stadium Series, but at least here in the NY/NJ area, its still a novel concept (which you said in your subsequent post which I just read ). 

And I should add, if you don't want to go because its cold outside, hey that's a personal choice. But reference were made to the people who were "dying" to go to a Devils outdoor game, but now they say no, its too cold. They weren't going to do an outdoor game in the summer, so what did those people expect?

Shhhh! Remember you're not supposed to make this an argument where one doesn't exist. There's no right or wrong choice here. <sarcasm>

• Like 1

Shhhh! Remember you're not supposed to make this an argument where one doesn't exist. There's no right or wrong choice here. <sarcasm>

It doesn't exist. I've yet to see one person pointed out who previously would 'definitely go no matter what' who is now complaining about the cold. In fact, only a handful of people even cited the weather as a reason not to go in this thread. And even if they changed their mind, who the hell cares why they don't want to go??

• Like 1

Could be worse, I could be posting nonsense and pretending to be a female.

It doesn't exist. I've yet to see one person pointed out who previously would 'definitely go no matter what' who is now complaining about the cold. In fact, only a handful of people even cited the weather as a reason not to go in this thread. And even if they changed their mind, who the hell cares why they don't want to go??

Logic is a beautiful thing.  Thread starter asked who was going, who wasn't, and for those who choose not to go, the reasons for the decision.  Apparently that means such fans and their reasons are open to criticism by those who are going.  If you dared to say "Yeah, I would kill to go to one of these some time, I wish the Devils would play in one of these!" in the past, then it's engraved in stone and changing your mind or feeling differently is a big problem.  Don't think that's really what the thread starter was looking for here.   

anyway to watch the winter classic game from yesterday?

Watched the last two periods.  Was pretty cool.  Kind of seemed slow at times, but there were definitely some nice rallies and pressure.   

This is a reflection on the fan base. This should be a hot ticket among Devils fans because they were bitching and moaning about never, ever getting a outdoor game. When the Devils finally get one of these games (to the surprise of 99.9% of the fanbase) in typical Devil fan fashion, there's always issues involved. The problem is these are issues that are intrinsic to the experience and these same people who bitched and moaned and said they'd go....aren't. 

If it's purely financial based not to go, of course that's an important decision and with the prices, you can't fault people for putting bills and everyday living over a hockey game (even though they had to know this wasn't a $50 ticket based on the WC). 

CR or anyone can be a conscience all they want, but that still does not change that people in this fan base (inclusively) turned their back on something that they all clamored for.

Edited by TheRedStorm
  • Like 1

Apparently Devil fans do.  We have what seems to me the most self-loathing fanbase out there.  Certain people just can't wait to jump on 'their own' fanbase for perceived immaturity and other crap like that, when it comes to supposedly flip-flopping on this, the goal song, or whatever other nonsense people can't wait to whine about.  I seriously don't think any other group of fans is as cannibalistic as Devil fans.

And some people that have thought better of going to the Winter Classic I'm sure genuinely didn't understand just how much it would cost for seats (or how bad some of the views actually are) where you could actually see anything until they really had a reason to study it.  People aren't looking at prices and views when their team isn't in it, they just look at the majesty of it/atmosphere and want to go...I'm sure the idea of it trumps the reality of actually going in some cases.  I don't think people changed their minds about the weather aspect, you pretty much know whether you're willing to tolerate the cold or you aren't.

Edited by NJDevs4978

This is a reflection on the fan base. This should be a hot ticket among Devils fans because they were bitching and moaning about never, ever getting a outdoor game. When the Devils finally get one of these games (to the surprise of 99.9% of the fanbase) in typical Devil fan fashion, there's always issues involved. The problem is these are issues that are intrinsic to the experience and these same people who bitched and moaned and said they'd go....aren't. 

Again people keep claiming this, but it's a pretty tricky thing to actually prove without cutting and pasting posts from months/years ago and specifically calling out people.  Just because those things were both said on the board doesn't mean it was the same people that were saying them.

And again why should Devil fans care why other Devil fans don't want to go anyway?  It's not hurting anyone if you change your mind about wanting to go or didn't want to go to start with.  

Edited by NJDevs4978

Again people keep claiming this, but it's a pretty tricky thing to actually prove without cutting and pasting posts from months/years ago and specifically calling out people.  Just because those things were both said on the board doesn't mean it was the same people that were saying them.

And again why should Devil fans care why other Devil fans don't want to go anyway?  It's not hurting anyone if you change your mind about wanting to go or didn't want to go to start with.  

Why do you think it's limited to what people have said here? Maybe i am wrong and misunderstood but i thought the people claiming this were talking about the fanbase in a larger context.

I don't care as much as i feel it goes to show what threecups said. This fanbase has a ways to go yet. I guess if someone doesn't see it that way, it's hard to make them see it.

Edited by TheRedStorm

Why do you think it's only limited to what people have said here? Maybe i am wrong and misunderstood but i thought the people claiming this were talking about the fanbase in a larger context. 

I don't care as much as i feel it goes to show what threecups said. This fanbase has a ways to go yet. I guess if someone doesn't see it that way, it's hard to make them see it.

Because if you're not talking about specific people, it seems like you're the one whining. Not the one's who calmly explained that they don't think it's worth the time, effort and money to see a game where they might not actually get to see the game. Wanna go and you'll enjoy it? Great, I hope you do and I hope it's a great experience for you. I just don't care to go myself. I don't get why anyone gives a rat's ass about why someone doesn't want to go. And if you're surprised that people change their minds, you're gonna be in for a strange epiphany when you realize people do that all the time about everything... Nothing like complaining about how people don't stop complaining. The irony is strong with this one.

Because if you're not talking about specific people, it seems like you're the one whining. Not the one's who calmly explained that they don't think it's worth the time, effort and money to see a game where they might not actually get to see the game. Wanna go and you'll enjoy it? Great, I hope you do and I hope it's a great experience for you. I just don't care to go myself. I don't get why anyone gives a rat's ass about why someone doesn't want to go. And if you're surprised that people change their minds, you're gonna be in for a strange epiphany when you realize people do that all the time about everything... Nothing like complaining about how people don't stop complaining. The irony is strong with this one.

If you start naming specific posters and bring up their past posts, then imagine the sh&#33;tstorm that will follow when that happens here.  I purposefully didn't want to name names just for that reason alone but I do have a few names in mind.

People change their minds all the time so yes you are right about that.  However, I really can't imagine a fan base other than ours who keeps saying for years how much they want a WC and then when pretty much the only way we will get one through the SS, suddenly issues like prices, weather conditions, and the context of the game get called into question.  I really don't go on boards of other fan bases really, but just quickly looking I do not see this from the other teams.

If you start naming specific posters and bring up their past posts, then imagine the sh!tstorm that will follow when that happens here.  I purposefully didn't want to name names just for that reason alone but I do have a few names in mind.

People change their minds all the time so yes you are right about that.  However, I really can't imagine a fan base other than ours who keeps saying for years how much they want a WC and then when pretty much the only way we will get one through the SS, suddenly issues like prices, weather conditions, and the context of the game get called into question.  I really don't go on boards of other fan bases really, but just quickly looking I do not see this from the other teams.

There's your answer as to why anyone thinks it's this fan base. It's not just this one, it's all fans. Sports especially can bring out the wavering back and forth out of people because sports matters, but it doesn't really, so wavering on opinions doesn't affect one's life much in that regard.

Apparently Devil fans do.  We have what seems to me the most self-loathing fanbase out there.  Certain people just can't wait to jump on 'their own' fanbase for perceived immaturity and other crap like that, when it comes to supposedly flip-flopping on this, the goal song, or whatever other nonsense people can't wait to whine about.  I seriously don't think any other group of fans is as cannibalistic as Devil fans.

And some people that have thought better of going to the Winter Classic I'm sure genuinely didn't understand just how much it would cost for seats (or how bad some of the views actually are) where you could actually see anything until they really had a reason to study it.  People aren't looking at prices and views when their team isn't in it, they just look at the majesty of it/atmosphere and want to go...I'm sure the idea of it trumps the reality of actually going in some cases.  I don't think people changed their minds about the weather aspect, you pretty much know whether you're willing to tolerate the cold or you aren't.

It could be a large percentage of the people were clueless/naive to the actual ticket prices for an event like this.  Then they got hit with a dose of reality when they saw the price tags for this.  With that being said, I believe all the other things being mentioned (cold weather, site lines, etc) are just excuses because people do not want to say they are too cheap to go/legitimately can't afford it.  If the tickets were magically $50, everyone and their mother is looking for tickets.

• Like 1

It could be a large percentage of the people were clueless/naive to the actual ticket prices for an event like this. Then they got hit with a dose of reality when they saw the price tags for this. With that being said, I believe all the other things being mentioned (cold weather, site lines, etc) are just excuses because people do not want to say they are too cheap to go/legitimately can't afford it. If the tickets were magically $50, everyone and their mother is looking for tickets.

Your fvckin' A right I'm "cheap"! I hand pick games because I live down the shore now and take my wife and 2 kids ;) I would much rather stick to getting them lounge seats like I usually do and spend the day down at ice level. I did say I will be enjoying this game on my big screen while having a cocktail though!

I don't think people who "thought" they were gonna go are clueless though...I was a bit shocked at the price for low end seats, was expecting (maybe hopeful) the price to be a bit lower but kinda knew they would be out of my range. I warned my wife when she started floating the idea around! I nodded and said ok, when the prices come out we'll take a peak. :)

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

Your fvckin' A right I'm "cheap"! I hand pick games because I live down the shore now and take my wife and 2 kids ;) I would much rather stick to getting them lounge seats like I usually do and spend the day down at ice level. I did say I will be enjoying this game on my big screen while having a cocktail though!

I don't think people who "thought" they were gonna go are clueless though...I was a bit shocked at the price for low end seats, was expecting (maybe hopeful) the price to be a bit lower but kinda knew they would be out of my range. I warned my wife when she started floating the idea around! I nodded and said ok, when the prices come out we'll take a peak. :)

If tickets are $50/each; you bring the familly, correct?

If tickets are $50/each; you bring the familly, correct?

I would :) I know my situation is a bit different since I moved from Belleville to the shore and I forget that sometimes especially after tolls (that Fn bridge toll to get into the city is BS too!), fuel for the truck etc...It's tough beating the lounge deal since I can take the family out and get the great view and food (it's like feeding a horse and his brother!) ;)

I would :) I know my situation is a bit different since I moved from Belleville to the shore and I forget that sometimes especially after tolls (that Fn bridge toll to get into the city is BS too!), fuel for the truck etc...It's tough beating the lounge deal since I can take the family out and get the great view and food (it's like feeding a horse and his brother!) ;)

Just thinking...what do you think the below would be around? I never thought in my life I would need to budget these things! Lol

- I didn't factor in the bridge toll

- food would cost more, I think?

- fuel to the city

I should move back up north!

Personally, I can care less if a Devils fan decides not go. Me and my friends are going and we could care less if we were the only devils fans there. We are gonna have a great time regardless. I wouldn't kill anyone for deciding they can't afford it. If you even have to think about whether or not you can afford it, you probably can't.