New DeBoer thread

mouse

I personally think Rex Ryan is a good coach. The Jets just have a sh!tty front office. He's been given a bad hand here.

Regardless, my point was if the players believe in him, then what more can you ask for?

I agree with you on all these points. but motivation only goes so far, see one herman Edwards. Pete has motivation from his players AND is a good system tactician.

I agree with you on all these points. but motivation only goes so far, see one herman Edwards. Pete has motivation from his players AND is a good system tactician.

Yea.  I think his system is a system that many players love playing.  It's a good hard nosed system that drives defenses crazy.

The biggest thing to me about PDB is that a guy like Elias, given yet another opportunity to leave this team and try somewhere else... decided to stay with us again... and the thing that he harped on most was the benefit of having a head coach like PDB. The guys love him and his system. That's important.

Deboer has done a great job, with the hand he has been dealt. Making it to the Stanley Cup finals riding Gionta and Salvador was a miracle.

He has done a great job of getting the kids involved and being responsible.

Kudo to DeBoer

I love deboer and do give him credit for the finals team but don't act like kovy wasn't a big part of it. In the end you were still right all along, but kovy and some other high end players were a big part of that team too, not just giontas and Salvador's.

I'm sick of hearing everyone complain about the lineup, like they know any better than the guys putting it together. Would I like to see Jo more? Yes. Would I like to never see Peter Harrold again? Yes. But what the hell do I know that he doesn't?

He has a reputation of ruining young players.  That's the last thing we need when we have to rely heavily on young players.

He has a reputation of ruining young players.  That's the last thing we need when we have to rely heavily on young players.

That was my initial issue with him, but Josefson and Lokti have played fairly badly this year when given chances, and Teddy has been terrible. While it took DeBo a little time to figure out how to handle Larsson, he was looking like a stud before he got hurt, and Gelly, Merrill, and Boucher have had chances, which makes me think DeBo does know more about personnel than we do, something I doubted a couple months ago. We'll see what happens when Salvador and Larsson are healthy. I could see sending Merrill down, but Larsson and Gelly need minutes.

Jynx thread served it's purpose I think.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Forget everything I said before, fire DeBoer, the season's over.

I love deboer and do give him credit for the finals team but don't act like kovy wasn't a big part of it. In the end you were still right all along, but kovy and some other high end players were a big part of that team too, not just giontas and Salvador's.

I wasn't denying that Kovy, Parise, and Elias were not part of.  But expectation of high profile players are much higher.   It was not until an AHL player in Gionta came in and transformed the forth line out of nowhere and gave us the ability to roll four lines in the playoffs which is what successful teams need.   Salvador lead all NHL defensemen in points which was another miracle in my eyes.   That is not going to happen again.

The stars aligned for us that playoff run with a pretty average team.

I wasn't denying that Kovy, Parise, and Elias were not part of.  But expectation of high profile players are much higher.   It was not until an AHL player in Gionta came in and transformed the forth line out of nowhere and gave us the ability to roll four lines in the playoffs which is what successful teams need.   Salvador lead all NHL defensemen in points which was another miracle in my eyes.   That is not going to happen again.

The stars aligned for us that playoff run with a pretty average team.

You're correct it was an average team and the star aligned to help them get to the finals. Not happening this season. Didn't happen last season. Didn't happen the year before the final run either.

You're correct it was an average team and the star aligned to help them get to the finals. Not happening this season. Didn't happen last season. Didn't happen the year before the final run either.

I don't agree that the 2011-12 team was average.  They were definitely buoyed by shootout success in the regular season, especially early on (12-12-1 with 6 shootout wins to start, when they looked shaky for significant portions of those 25 games), but they played well for most of the rest of the regular season and playoffs, had three 30+ goal-scorers to boot (Elias scored 26 as well), and got very good goaltending from Marty for his last 50 games (reg season and playoffs combined). 

2010-11 was a classic case of everything possible going wrong.  Sometimes that happens.  That team probably makes the playoffs most seasons.       

I don't agree that the 2011-12 team was average.  They were definitely buoyed by shootout success in the regular season, especially early on (12-12-1 with 6 shootout wins to start, when they looked shaky for significant portions of those 25 games), but they played well for most of the rest of the regular season and playoffs, had three 30+ goal-scorers to boot (Elias scored 26 as well), and got very good goaltending from Marty for his last 50 games (reg season and playoffs combined). 

2010-11 was a classic case of everything possible going wrong.  Sometimes that happens.  That team probably makes the playoffs most seasons.

If you take away the shootout success would they have made the playoffs in 11/12 season? I can remember. That makes them average to me.

If you take away the shootout success would they have made the playoffs in 11/12 season? I can remember. That makes them average to me.

Apparently you can't remember.  The Devils finished 10 points ahead of the 7th and 8th place teams, and 13 points ahead of the 9th place team.  They went 12-4 in the shootout.  Even if they had been, say, 4-12 in the shootout, there's still a good chance they would have gotten in...it's not like they barely squeaked in on the strength of shootout points.  And the fact that the Devils did well in the shootout shouldn't really have come as a surprise...to that point, since their implementation, the Devils had been quite good in them, and two of the major players in the Devils' prior success (Parise and Brodeur) were on the team...at the very least, the Devils should've been expected to go at least 8-8 in their 16 shootouts that season, probably 7-9 at worst.  The big surprise performer that year was Kovalchuk (who suddenly became about three times as effective in SOs than he had been previously). 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

And not to forget the points that the other teams gained from the shootouts.

Yes, every team that made the EC playoffs that year had at least 4 extra points earned via shootout wins.  LD is acting like all 12 extra points the Devils "earned" in their shootout wins were bogus, as though the the Devils should've gone 0-16 in their shootouts and finished the season with 90 points (Boston and Pittsburgh went 9-3 in their shooouts...guess their extra SO points shouldn't count either). 

Yeah that team was a great one that was held back by goaltending during the regular season more than anything else. They had five 20 goal scoters plus henrique and zubrus with 16 and 17.

They were balanced offensively and played good team defense, the run they made was not a fluke, except for the fact that Marty played above average in the playoffs.

Yeah that team was a great one that was held back by goaltending during the regular season more than anything else. They had five 20 goal scoters plus henrique and zubrus with 16 and 17.

They were balanced offensively and played good team defense, the run they made was not a fluke, except for the fact that Marty played above average in the playoffs.

In fairness, Marty's improved play started earlier than the playoffs.  He had a .920 save% over his last 50 GP of that season (regular season and playoffs combined).  And the team WAS shaky as whole in their first 25 games...they were adjusting to not having Zajac, and DeBoer's system.  6 regulation wins in 25 games is pretty rough.   

Their power play was atrocious, that was really what was sinking them.  They also didn't have a 3rd line and the 4th line was a total black hole.  It was 7 forwards holding on for dear life a lot of nights.

Funny that the Capitals are (or were) in a similar boat - 9 regulation wins in 36 games