Presenting...the New Jersey Devils last 26 shootout attempts

'7'

Why the fvck can't we make Jags bite the bullet and play the shootout. He's our most skilled player for God's sake, so what if he doesn't "like it" doesn't he "not like" losing every shootout this year too?? Hell even get Gelly in there and let him start slapping them, he can't do any worse than Patty Trav and Henrique

Boucher played like he's the one who was out for 3 months.  I'm sure that offensive ability and shootout ability just go hand in hand - that's why Matt Hendricks is lighting it up for Nashville.

Did you see Clowe's first two attempts this season?  They were awful.  He was 0-3 last year too.  People talk about his career shootout record but the last time Clowe was any good in the shootout was 2011, which coincidentally was the last time he was a legit offensive player.  He's older and whatever step(s) he's lost has really hurt his offensive game on the whole - standard and shootouts.

Why the fvck can't we make Jags bite the bullet and play the shootout. He's our most skilled player for God's sake, so what if he doesn't "like it" doesn't he "not like" losing every shootout this year too?? Hell even get Gelly in there and let him start slapping them, he can't do any worse than Patty Trav and Henrique

Did you not notice he was shooting first last night?  He's 0-2 this year himself.

Did you see Clowe's first two attempts this season?  They were awful.  He was 0-3 last year too.  People talk about his career shootout record but the last time Clowe was any good in the shootout was 2011, which coincidentally was the last time he was a legit offensive player.  He's older and whatever step(s) he's lost has really hurt his offensive game on the whole - standard and shootouts.

Wow, 0-3 - well, that settles it, guess he is bad now.  Hmm, unrelated, but this coin came up heads 5 times in a row, it's my new lucky coin.

Did you not notice he was shooting first last night?  He's 0-2 this year himself.

I didn't get to watch last night, are you talking about Jagr or Gelinas?

The shootout is one area of the game that I think Teddy can excel in. Just bench him all game and if it comes down to the shootout, throw him in haha. But I honestly would of went with Teddy last night. He probably has the best set of hands and moves on the team. It could only help his confidence.

Other than that, people who complain are stupid. Do we see who has the best shootout moves in practice? No. Pete gets to see that kind of stuff. I wouldn't argue with many of the choices... more so bad luck if anything. I agree he should mix it up a bit more, especially with recent results.

Edited by Jerseydevils0324

i know zajac plays well but when he rings one off the pipe and in postgame comments how they need to win the shootout i get riled.

last game i listed to myself who should shootout beforehand and i had elias and clowe on that list. who would argue jagr besides himself.

i had ryder and boucher on that list as well, but game play does factor into who i want on shootout, which also means that you dont automatically go to the same 2 or 3 guys everytime either.

in other words my list was wrong however agreed with debo :idea:

Edited by lazer

Its not really about luck its all about skills. Its not a coincidence that were in the bottom of the league in scoring and not scoring against a goalie by himself. Also not a coincidence that when kovalchuk was not scoring in the last 2 seasons that we were not winning in the shootouts. We were winning because of kovy and zach all the time, after them we had nothing.

In my mind brunner, boucher, jagr, teddy and elias should be the best we have based on their hands, they know how to undress a goalie. But apparently, not the case

Edited by SterioDesign

Its not really about luck its all about skills. Its not a coincidence that were in the bottom of the league in scoring and not scoring against a goalie by himself. Also not a coincidence that when kovalchuk was not scoring in the last 2 seasons that we were not winning in the shootouts. We were winning because of kovy and zach all the time, after them we had nothing.

In my mind brunner, boucher, jagr, teddy and elias should be the best we have based on their hands, they know how to undress a goalie. But apparently, not the case

'After them we had nothing' - Elias is a 36% lifetime shooter and was 6 for 12 that season, but yeah, I agree, nothing.  Clowe is also around that mark lifetime.  Hard to do significantly better than that - certainly Parise was better.  That's what I mean when I say luck - the Devils were 28 for 49 in 2011-12.  If the Devils were one person, that's better than any shooter in league history with more than 25 attempts.  Frans Nielsen is 53% in the shootout lifetime in 52 attempts.

I don't care what team you are - an ECHL team would do better than 1 for 20 in the shootout against an NHL team.  NJ is a below average shootout team, that doesn't mean they should lose every one.  

Edited by Triumph

No, he didn't come close to that.

He actually looked like he tried against Lundqvist. His strategy from the start was to rip it glove side high goal or no goal. Against Columbus, he simply looked like he was going through the motions. Great he mentioned the Devils were terrible at the SO (duh), but he was the most embarrassing shooter of that loss.

He is speaking about Jagr who was first in the shootout last night.

Booze does make one speak without knowledge. Have a nice day. Be careful out there you could get hurt.

LD I don't know how I should take your me being an alcoholic jabs...should I be offended or is it you just being a little sh!t? 

LD I don't know how I should take your me being an alcoholic jabs...should I be offended or is it you just being a little sh!t?

You will have to decide. You were a day late with your Merry Christmas wish and you suggested that Jagr be used in the shootouts the day after he was used. I personally wouldn't think "it is me being a little sh!t" nor do I think you "should be offended" I might suggest help. Good luck with your selection. Think like DeBoer and you will get it wrong

You will have to decide. You were a day late with your Merry Christmas wish and you suggested that Jagr be used in the shootouts the day after he was used. I personally wouldn't think "it is me being a little sh!t" nor do I think you "should be offended" I might suggest help. Good luck with your selection. Think like DeBoer and you will get it wrong

Sorry, I can't really read what you just said. I'm entirely too drunk. I'll get back to you after a nice little nap.

• 2 weeks later...

Andrei Loktionov unsuccessful attempt versus Ben Bishop

Travis Zajac unsuccessful attempt versus Mathieu Garon

Patrik Elias unsuccessful attempt versus Mathieu Garon

Steve Sullivan unsuccessful attempt versus Ryan Miller

Patrik Elias unsuccessful attempt versus Ryan Miller

Travis Zajac unsuccessful attempt versus Ryan Miller

Damien Brunner unsuccessful attempt versus Evgeni Nabokov

Ryane Clowe unsuccessful attempt versus Evgeni Nabokov

Patrik Elias unsuccessful attempt versus Evgeni Nabokov

Travis Zajac unsuccessful attempt versus Evgeni Nabokov

Michael Ryder unsuccessful attempt versus Evgeni Nabokov

Jaromir Jagr unsuccessful attempt versus Evgeni Nabokov

Damien Brunner unsuccessful attempt versus Jason LaBarbera

Ryane Clowe unsuccessful attempt versus Jason LaBarbera

Travis Zajac unsuccessful attempt versus Roberto Luongo

Adam Henrique unsuccessful attempt versus Roberto Luongo

Patrik Elias unsuccessful attempt versus Roberto Luongo

Michael Ryder unsuccessful attempt versus Jonathan Bernier

Travis Zajac unsuccessful attempt versus Jonathan Bernier

Adam Henrique unsuccessful attempt versus Jonathan Bernier

Reid Boucher successful attempt versus Peter Budaj

Travis Zajac unsuccessful attempt versus Peter Budaj

Patrik Elias unsuccessful attempt versus Peter Budaj

Jaromir Jagr unsuccessful attempt versus Curtis McElhinney

Ryan Clowe unsuccessful attempt versus Curtis McElhinney

Patrik Elias unsuccessful attempt versus Curtis McElhinney

Jaromir Jagr unsuccessful attempt versus Jonathan Bernier

Ryan Clowe unsuccessful attempt versus Jonathan Bernier

Reid Boucher unsuccessful attempt versus Jonathan Bernier

the Devils are now 0-10 shootouts dating back to last season and an NHL record 1-29 in shootout attempts overall

this is not luck. This is psychological

Wanna know something funny?  The Devils actually have the 2nd highest shootout shooting percentage in NHL history.  I'm gonna assume that prior to these past 2 seasons, they actually had the best shooting percentage.

Well we had the player with the current best career shooting % from all active NHL players on our team, that should have helped a little.