Presenting...the New Jersey Devils last 26 shootout attempts

'7'

lol i mean seriously, every time I mention something about Zach you get on my case whining about it that i'm beating a dead horse, yet every chances YOU get to bring it up quoting me even though i havent said a thing about it really, you'll go for it. You're really one of a kind.

Not even the first time i'm telling you this. YOU keep bringing up this conversation or stuff i said in the past. If you really want me to shut up about it stop poking.

You posted the link, I clicked on it and read it.  Based on things you've said previously, I wouldn't be surprised if your eyes happened to go to that part of the article first and foremost.

But anyway, I think what Pierre was going for is that there's no real answers.  Sure, they can practice, but it may not make any real difference.  I think what the Devils have on their side, more than anything, is the law of averages.  Even the teams who have sucked at shootouts since their implementation don't often lose them at this high of a rate. 

One thing that I think we can safely say won't be as good as it once was is the goaltending the Devils got in shootouts though the end of 2012.  Marty was a .710ish guy during that time, and they got decent shootout performance from other goalies too.  Cory's been a .630ish guy in his career, and soon someone not named Marty Brodeur will be the Devils' backup.  Maybe the Devils get lucky and that guy will be a good shootout performer (like Hedberg was).    

Andrei Loktionov unsuccessful attempt versus Ben Bishop

Travis Zajac unsuccessful attempt versus Mathieu Garon

Patrik Elias unsuccessful attempt versus Mathieu Garon

Steve Sullivan unsuccessful attempt versus Ryan Miller

Patrik Elias unsuccessful attempt versus Ryan Miller

Travis Zajac unsuccessful attempt versus Ryan Miller

Damien Brunner unsuccessful attempt versus Evgeni Nabokov

Ryane Clowe unsuccessful attempt versus Evgeni Nabokov

Patrik Elias unsuccessful attempt versus Evgeni Nabokov

Travis Zajac unsuccessful attempt versus Evgeni Nabokov

Michael Ryder unsuccessful attempt versus Evgeni Nabokov

Jaromir Jagr unsuccessful attempt versus Evgeni Nabokov

Damien Brunner unsuccessful attempt versus Jason LaBarbera

Ryane Clowe unsuccessful attempt versus Jason LaBarbera

Travis Zajac unsuccessful attempt versus Roberto Luongo

Adam Henrique unsuccessful attempt versus Roberto Luongo

Patrik Elias unsuccessful attempt versus Roberto Luongo

Michael Ryder unsuccessful attempt versus Jonathan Bernier

Travis Zajac unsuccessful attempt versus Jonathan Bernier

Adam Henrique unsuccessful attempt versus Jonathan Bernier

Reid Boucher successful attempt versus Peter Budaj

Travis Zajac unsuccessful attempt versus Peter Budaj

Patrik Elias unsuccessful attempt versus Peter Budaj

Jaromir Jagr unsuccessful attempt versus Curtis McElhinney

Ryan Clowe unsuccessful attempt versus Curtis McElhinney

Patrik Elias unsuccessful attempt versus Curtis McElhinney

Jaromir Jagr unsuccessful attempt versus Jonathan Bernier

Ryan Clowe unsuccessful attempt versus Jonathan Bernier

Patrik Elias unsuccessful attempt versus Semyon Varlamov

Adam Henrique unsuccessful attempt versus Semyon Varlamov

1-31 in shootout attempts. 0-12 (new NHL record)

this is all psychological

will it turn around one day? Sure it will, but it's not about turning it around...it's about turning it around before incredible damage to our playoff chances has been done. How long will they carry this on?

1-60 perhaps. Maybe lose every shootout until 2016?

What are the odds of even getting to this point? 1 in a million I'd guess. No exaggeration

Edited by '7'

if you're 50% to win every shootout, it'd be 1/(2^12) which is not close to a million.  (1/4096).  If you're 30% to win each one, it's 1.4%, so within 100.  Binomial theorem wise, if NJ's shooters are collectively 30% to score on a given shot, going 1/31 or worse is .02% likely.  

Edited by Triumph

The look of being defeated heading in to the shootout has led right in to uncreative and poor attempts. Even after the game the quotes are downtrodden and have an "we can't win them" feeling. Deboer needs to find a way to make this stupid thing fun again. I'd throw out Bouch first for his rookie enthusiasm/skill then throw out someone who the rest of the guys would enjoy seeing take an attempt like carter, zuby or even volch. At least we'd get some smiles on the bench out of it and anyone in the NHL has the ability to score a breakaway, so it's not like it'd be a total joke. Having a 'wildcard' type could bring some positive vibes to the shootout.  

In overtime?

Yeah, I guess they wanted to discourage that. I was pretty sure, but when I saw you suggest it, I checked to be sure

84.2 Overtime – Regular-season – Extra Attacker - A team shall be allowed to pull its goalkeeper in favor of an additional skater in the overtime period. However, should that team lose the game during the time in which the goalkeeper has been removed, it would forfeit the automatic point gained in the tie at the end of regulation play, except if the goalkeeper has been removed at the call of a delayed penalty against the other team. Should the goalkeeper proceed to his bench for an extra attacker due to a delayed penalty call against the opposing team, and should the non-offending team shoot the puck directly into their own goal, the game shall be over and the team that was to be penalized declared the winner.

Once the goalkeeper has been removed for an extra attacker in overtime during the regular-season, he must wait for the next stoppage of play before returning to his position. He cannot change “on the fly.” If he does, a bench minor penalty shall be assessed for having an ineligible player.

Yeah, I guess they wanted to discourage that. I was pretty sure, but when I saw you suggest it, I checked to be sure

I knew this rule existed but I'm still not quite sure the reasoning behind it. It seems like they want to dissuade teams from trying to win in OT and force more shootouts... but wouldn't it make for more exciting hockey to have an empty net in OT?

Not that it would happen very often (if ever), but I'm trying to think of the motivation behind preventing it.

Wow, thanks for the heads up DD56. I think that rule is rather ridiculous, what's the point? 

I remember when they put this rule into effect, it was before the shootout existed. Some of the discussion centered around odd playoff implications. I can't remember what they are, but there were some situations in which a team would have nothing to lose by pulling a goalie for the entire overtime. They did not want that.

The look of being defeated heading in to the shootout has led right in to uncreative and poor attempts. Even after the game the quotes are downtrodden and have an "we can't win them" feeling. Deboer needs to find a way to make this stupid thing fun again. I'd throw out Bouch first for his rookie enthusiasm/skill then throw out someone who the rest of the guys would enjoy seeing take an attempt like carter, zuby or even volch. At least we'd get some smiles on the bench out of it and anyone in the NHL has the ability to score a breakaway, so it's not like it'd be a total joke. Having a 'wildcard' type could bring some positive vibes to the shootout.  

Maybe DeBoer should just ask the players themselves which ones want to take a turn in the shootout. I gotta imagine at least one or two of those lower-rung guys must be itching to have at it, LOL.