Presenting...the New Jersey Devils last 26 shootout attempts

'7'

Ryder has a shot, but he doesn't have the "hands".. You need someone with balls and finesse who is not afraid to miss. Don't know if we have anyone like that.. I thought maybe Brunner fit the bill but I guess not. At this point I'm sure the mental part has become very real as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like Zids to me.

PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE....if only to help with the mental state and confidence aspect! This is embarrassing.

And dont select a guy who missed three glorious chances during the game. Youre asking for bad confidence to snowball!!

Edited by devlman

PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE....if only to help with the mental state and confidence aspect! This is embarrassing.

And dont select a guy who missed three glorious chances during the game. Youre asking for bad confidence to snowball!!

The Devils practice the shootout a lot.  It doesn't have anything to do with practice.

The Devils practice the shootout a lot.  It doesn't have anything to do with practice.

if it's like what we saw at the end of the VIP practice, i wouldn't go too nuts with it. it was loosey goosey - only 5 guys went maybe 4 or 5 times each. and they hardly scored at all.

again, is what it is - its a big time mental thing as much as it's not being able to execute.

So if they practiced with taser shocks for the guys who didn't score, it'd work better?

Brunner had a chance and went in too deep - Clowe just barely missed - Elias, well the less said about that the better, Elias has to be taken off the shootout.

Really, i thought Elias made some nice moves? He had Greiss in knots, he just didnt elevate the shot.

Pete DeBoer clearly has never heard Einstein's quote about the definition of insanity. At this point I can't believe he hasn't tried Zids once. I mean, I watched him score a few at the practice the other day. Same with JJ and Ruutu. Literally saw them score with my own eyes. What's the worst that could happen? None of them score? Oh well, we're in the same position as before but at least a fvcking effort was made to break the trend. The Brunner, Clowe, Elias well has long been dry.

Pete DeBoer clearly has never heard Einstein's quote about the definition of insanity. At this point I can't believe he hasn't tried Zids once. I mean, I watched him score a few at the practice the other day. Same with JJ and Ruutu. Literally saw them score with my own eyes. What's the worst that could happen? None of them score? Oh well, we're in the same position as before but at least a fvcking effort was made to break the trend. The Brunner, Clowe, Elias well has long been dry.

He did use Zidlicky once, it's just that he didn't get to take his turn, so it's not like the idea hasn't occured to him.

The Devils have used 8 different shooters, 9 if you count Zidlicky.  Brunner only has 3 shootout attempts.  Personally I think the definition of insanity is closer to 'changing things around for no defensible reason', but that's me.

Edited by Triumph

He did use Zidlicky once, it's just that he didn't get to take his turn, so it's not like the idea hasn't occured to him.

The Devils have used 8 different shooters, 9 if you count Zidlicky.  Brunner only has 3 shootout attempts.  Personally I think the definition of insanity is closer to 'changing things around for no defensible reason', but that's me.

That's what's weird about DeBoer. He'll change the line-up after a win but will stick with the same guys in the shootout. I don't understand why he'll be so stubborn with some things and not with others.

That's what's weird about DeBoer. He'll change the line-up after a win but will stick with the same guys in the shootout. I don't understand why he'll be so stubborn with some things and not with others.

There have been 9 different guys to take the shootout.  I don't really understand why you think he is using the same guys.

There have been 9 different guys to take the shootout.  I don't really understand why you think he is using the same guys.

Elias and Clowe keep getting shots and have been unsuccessful all season. Henrique can't even put it on net. Boucher wasn't in the next shootout after scoring our only shootout goal of the season. I definitely exaggerated and it feels like it's been the same few guys when it really hasn't  but man, if NOTHING has worked, next in line. Half the time it feels like they're not even getting shots off for an entire shootout. After losing 9 straight how can you be against trying anything to break the mentality? Maybe the guys who haven't tried won't have the pressure or losing mindset. It can't possibly hurt.

Anyone still doesn't think this is mental?  I honestly think if we had 100 attempts we may score on one more at this rate.

And Cory's Yann Danis-type bad in the skills competition too.

it's 100% mental. This is the clutch/choke dynamic playing out in front of us. The statisticians says something like this will even out in time...well it should've happened months ago. This shootout streak how now reached lottery-type odds of impossibility

When the Devils are trying to score in the shootout...all they think about is past results...oh my god I have to score here we're 1-300 etc. Goalies thinking the same thing

They all need psychiatric counseling. That's the only way to beat this type of situational anxiety

Andrei Loktionov unsuccessful attempt versus Ben Bishop

Travis Zajac unsuccessful attempt versus Mathieu Garon

Patrik Elias unsuccessful attempt versus Mathieu Garon

Steve Sullivan unsuccessful attempt versus Ryan Miller

Patrik Elias unsuccessful attempt versus Ryan Miller

Travis Zajac unsuccessful attempt versus Ryan Miller

Damien Brunner unsuccessful attempt versus Evgeni Nabokov

Ryane Clowe unsuccessful attempt versus Evgeni Nabokov

Patrik Elias unsuccessful attempt versus Evgeni Nabokov

Travis Zajac unsuccessful attempt versus Evgeni Nabokov

Michael Ryder unsuccessful attempt versus Evgeni Nabokov

Jaromir Jagr unsuccessful attempt versus Evgeni Nabokov

Damien Brunner unsuccessful attempt versus Jason LaBarbera

Ryane Clowe unsuccessful attempt versus Jason LaBarbera

Travis Zajac unsuccessful attempt versus Roberto Luongo

Adam Henrique unsuccessful attempt versus Roberto Luongo

Patrik Elias unsuccessful attempt versus Roberto Luongo

Michael Ryder unsuccessful attempt versus Jonathan Bernier

Travis Zajac unsuccessful attempt versus Jonathan Bernier

Adam Henrique unsuccessful attempt versus Jonathan Bernier

Reid Boucher successful attempt versus Peter Budaj

Travis Zajac unsuccessful attempt versus Peter Budaj

Patrik Elias unsuccessful attempt versus Peter Budaj

Jaromir Jagr unsuccessful attempt versus Curtis McElhinney

Ryan Clowe unsuccessful attempt versus Curtis McElhinney

Patrik Elias unsuccessful attempt versus Curtis McElhinney

Jaromir Jagr unsuccessful attempt versus Jonathan Bernier

Ryan Clowe unsuccessful attempt versus Jonathan Bernier

Patrik Elias unsuccessful attempt versus Semyon Varlamov

Adam Henrique unsuccessful attempt versus Semyon Varlamov

Damian Brunner unsuccessful attempt versus Greiss

Ryane Clowe unsuccessful attempt versus Greiss

Patrik Elias unsuccessful attempt versus Greiss

Adam Henrique unsuccessful attempt versus Nilsson

Patrik Elias unsuccessful attempt versus Nilsson

1-33 in shootout attempts dating back to last seaseon. 0-14 shootout streak (new NHL record) dating back to last season

The Devils now need just 6 more misses to tie their NHL record for consecutive shootout attempts missed 20, which they just set (they started on the record after the Boucher goal by missing the next 14 in a row)

it's 100% mental. This is the clutch/choke dynamic playing out in front of us. The statisticians says something like this will even out in time...well it should've happened months ago. This shootout streak how now reached lottery-type odds of impossibility

When the Devils are trying to score in the shootout...all they think about is past results...oh my god I have to score here we're 1-300 etc. Goalies thinking the same thing

They all need psychiatric counseling. That's the only way to beat this type of situational anxiety

Which is why I wanted them badly to go with Ruutu at SOME point in the last two, he's not bogged down by the team-wide failure and has a decent career record anyway.  Pete seems confused and equates actual hockey play with being worthy to be tabbed in the shootout, many times the best hockey players aren't the best shootout players.  Hell, even a guy like Zidlicky has experience and hasn't been personally part of any of the failures yet.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Which is why I wanted them badly to go with Ruutu at SOME point in the last two, he's not bogged down by the team-wide failure and has a decent career record anyway.  Pete seems confused and equates actual hockey play with being worthy to be tabbed in the shootout, many times the best hockey players aren't the best shootout players.  Hell, even a guy like Zidlicky has experience and hasn't been personally part of any of the failures yet.

Exactly, but at this point I think Pete is so dim that I'm not even upset at him not figuring this out. What do you expect from such a moron coach? Look at the way he's mismanaged the goaltending circus

Edited by '7'

Exactly, but at this point I think Pete is so dim that I'm not even upset at him not figuring this out. What do you expect from such a moron coach? Look at the way he's mismanaged the goaltending circus

I think it is time for Pete to be shown the door....

I would have liked to see 3 completely random guys tonight in the shootout....Harrold, Bernier and Zubrus woulda been fine with me.  ANYTHING FOR A CHANGE!!  The regulars have not got it done all season, so any 3 guys would have been a better selection tonight.

Thanks for the 2012 run Pete...your surely a dead man walking

Asking for random players is idiotic.  Would you do that normally?  'Well, we gave up 10 goals the last two games, so let's let our 4th line be our 1st line and vice versa today, because we have to do ANYTHING for a change!'

They've tried 8 guys.  They have to stop trying Henrique obviously, and probably Elias too, but hey.

Lottery odds of impossibility - people win the lottery.  Crazy streaks happen across sports.  This is one of them.

Edited by Triumph