Shootout GOAL scored by Michael Cammalleri on Karri Ramo

Shootout attempt by Adam Henrique MISSES

Shootout attempt by Travis Zajac saved by Karri Ramo

Shootout attempt by Jacob Josefson saved by Petr Mrazek

Shootout attempt by Michael Cammalleri saved by Petr Mrazek

Shootout attempt by Michael Ryder saved by Petr Mrazek

Shootout attempt by Martin Havlat saved by Scott Darling

Shootout attempt by Jaromir Jagr saved by Scott Darling

Shootout attempt by Tuomo Ruutu saved by Jaroslav Halak(Backhand 10 ft)

Shootout GOAL scored by Scott Gomez on Jaroslav Halak(Backhand 8 ft)

Shootout attempt by Damon Severson saved by Jaroslav Halak(Backhand 10 ft)

Shootout attempt by Marek Zidlicky saved by Jaroslav Halak(Snap 16 ft)

Shootout attempt by Jacob Josefson MISSES Over Net(Wristshot 15 ft)

Congrats NJ Devils, you are now 1-22 in your last 23 shootouts

With an impossibly bad 7 goals in your last 69 attempts. Against future hall of famers Petr Mrazek and Scott Darling no less. Don't forget Nathan Lieuwen

of course this is all random don't you know. Like a coin flip. Because you know how often you flip a coin 23 times and it comes up heads 22

Edited by '7'

of course this is all random don't you know. Like a coin flip. Because you know how often you flip a coin 23 times and it comes up heads 22

The "this is all luck" people have been proven wrong, no doubt about it. These are the same people who claimed Marty was the reason we didn't make the playoffs last year and that all we need to make the playoffs this year, is for Cory to start some more games - also clearly proven wrong.

I don't fault DeBoer for his shootout picks. But the team is clearly convinced that they cannot win shootouts, just the same as us fans are. It takes a wise coach to get a team back in line mentally and DeBo just doesn't seem to have that ability.

The "this is all luck" people have been proven wrong, no doubt about it. These are the same people who claimed Marty was the reason we didn't make the playoffs last year and that all we need to make the playoffs this year, is for Cory to start some more games - also clearly proven wrong.

I don't fault DeBoer for his shootout picks. But the team is clearly convinced that they cannot win shootouts, just the same as us fans are. It takes a wise coach to get a team back in line mentally and DeBo just doesn't seem to have that ability.

Said it before, but the problem with shootouts is that there isn't always rhyme and reason as to who is good at it and who isn't.  You have to hope your goalies and some of your players are successful in them.  Right now, the Devils' #1 goalie is about average in his career in shootouts, and they simply don't have much in the way of successful shootout shooters.  You're never going to see a GM try to address shootout deficiencies over others.  That to me is where the "luck" factors in...not so much that guys who don't perform well in them will start to get breaks that go their way, but that so much of it rests on happening to have good shootout guys on your roster. 

The guys who insist on saying "See, starting Cory is making no difference, nyah nyah nyah" are ignoring one very obvious thing:  the team isn't playing nearly as "well" as it did last year.  It's not an apples-to-apples comparison.  I've already pointed this out in the CS Appreciation Thread...the Devils teams of the past two seasons were not very good, but they at least kept the opposing shot totals down and limited chances...like some have said, they were a low-event team in both ends of the ice.  Now they still don't score much in the offensive end, but they give up shots and chances galore in their own end.  Cory is facing 31.1 shots per 60 minutes this season...last season he was facing 24.8 per 60.  If the team was still only allowing 25 shots or so per 60 minutes and Cory had a save% around .900, then maybe you'd have a point.  And Marty did hurt the Devils last season...just look at Cory's GAA and save% and Marty's GAA and save% last season.  One guy was clearly a lot better.

Said it before, but the problem with shootouts is that there isn't always rhyme and reason as to who is good at it and who isn't.  You have to hope your goalies and some of your players are successful in them.  Right now, the Devils' #1 goalie is about average in his career in shootouts, and they simply don't have much in the way of successful shootout shooters.  You're never going to see a GM try to address shootout deficiencies over others.  That to me is where the "luck" factors in...not so much that guys who don't perform well in them will start to get breaks that go their way, but that so much of it rests on happening to have good shootout guys on your roster. 

The guys who insist on saying "See, starting Cory is making no difference, nyah nyah nyah" are ignoring one very obvious thing:  the team isn't playing nearly as "well" as it did last year.  It's not an apples-to-apples comparison.  I've already pointed this out in the CS Appreciation Thread...the Devils teams of the past two seasons were not very good, but they at least kept the opposing shot totals down and limited chances...like some have said, they were a low-event team in both ends of the ice.  Now they still don't score much in the offensive end, but they give up shots and chances galore in their own end.  Cory is facing 31.1 shots per 60 minutes this season...last season he was facing 24.8 per 60.  If the team was still only allowing 25 shots or so per 60 minutes and Cory had a save% around .900, then maybe you'd have a point.  And Marty did hurt the Devils last season...just look at Cory's GAA and save% and Marty's GAA and save% last season.  One guy was clearly a lot better.

This x1000.  This is what the Cory bashers are ignoring the most and they need to realize it.  The Devils are giving up tons of shots to the rate that as a Devils fan I have go 20 years to remember the last time they were giving up shots like this.

Problem is while Cory stops the puck better it hasn't been better enough to make up for the puck handling deficiencies. You can only see so many 0-2 goal games with Cory/Kinkaid/Moose and the increased scoring with Marty and not see the difference at that end and keep dismissing it as coincidence.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Shoot outs are luck. Results are totally random. Say it enough times, people start to believe you.

It's not random when it's a prism for the lack of actual hockey talent on the roster. Or when it becomes mental. These are humans, not cyborgs. They're well aware of their own futility in the shootout.

To your first point I have no disagreements. I don't even fault DeBoer that much. I am simply saying that it clearly is not just luck...it must be a mental thing and DeBo surely hasn't been able to get them out of this mental funk. I'm not blaming him for getting them into it either.

To your second point, I don't want to rehash old arguments but Marty absolutely DID hurt the team last year, and I didn't say he didn't. And Cory WAS a lot better than Marty. The only point there is that the solution to our problems did not lie in starting Cory more, because we had and have a poor team that, as you have pointed out, is currently getting worse, even though Cory is starting every game (and playing very well). With Cory's level of play, it really sucks for him that he is under .500 in career winning percentage as a Devils' goaltender.

Edited by Neb00rs

Problem is while Cory stops the puck better it hasn't been better enough to make up for the puck handling deficiencies. You can only see so many 0-2 goal games with Cory/Kinkaid/Moose and the increased scoring with Marty and not see the difference at that end and keep dismissing it as coincidence.

Seriously? The Devils scored an abnormally high amount of goals for Brodeur last season, and only last season. That's it. If Brodeur played 100 more games as a Devil, you'd see that number drop, but he won't, so you won't see it. 

It is simply a coincidence over 38 games. You saw the Devils get shutout a few times with Brodeur in net late in the year, and you saw the Devils start to score more for Cory later in the season. 2.77 goals/game in his final 13 starts.

Edited by devilsrule33

This x1000.  This is what the Cory bashers are ignoring the most and they need to realize it.  The Devils are giving up tons of shots to the rate that as a Devils fan I have go 20 years to remember the last time they were giving up shots like this.

You do realize that you are the only one on this board to bring up "Cory bashers" right? This is because you unfortunately choose to continue to read that Devils FB group and repeat what they say back on this board. Please stop. You have in effect made us part of that silliness.

I certainly agree that Marty's puckhandling helps out any team's offense. However, if I am not going to fault Marty for being the main reason we missed the playoffs last year, I certainly am not going to fault Cory's puckhandling skills (or lack thereof) for having any negative effect on the team this year. Cory (and Kinkaid) has been a bright spot on an island of suckage.

It's not random when it's a prism for the lack of actual hockey talent on the roster. Or when it becomes mental. These are humans, not cyborgs. They're well aware of their own futility in the shootout.

I realize that.  There are some people though that seem to think that's not the case.

Seriously? The Devils scored an abnormally high amount of goals for Brodeur last season, and only last season. That's it. If Brodeur played 100 more games as a Devil, you'd see that number drop, but he won't, so you won't see it. 

It is simply a coincidence over 38 games. You saw the Devils get shutout a few times with Brodeur in net late in the year, and you saw the Devils start to score more for Cory later in the season. 2.77 goals/game in his final 13 starts.

Yep, the above is 100% spot-on.

Would love to see what the Devils' shooting% was with Marty in net.  I'm guessing it was a bit higher, which speaks to him reaping the benefits of good luck more than anything else.  Sometimes in any given season, one guy simply enjoys more luck than the other guy, and that luck is often completely out of that player's control (and can't always be explained away).  You see this in MLB all the time...the 20-game winner with meh-ish individual numbers and an ERA approaching 4.00, and the .500-ish guy who has better overall numbers and an ERA around 2.50.  Then some people will try to spin that as "Well, the first guy knows how to win."  Right. 

You do realize that you are the only one on this board to bring up "Cory bashers" right? This is because you unfortunately choose to continue to read that Devils FB group and repeat what they say back on this board. Please stop. You have in effect made us part of that silliness.

Internet Police strikes again.  You have become the forum nanny in pretty much every thread you are in from whining about GDT titles to telling us what we can and cannot say in our posts.

Please stop.

Edited by DevsMan84

Seriously? The Devils scored an abnormally high amount of goals for Brodeur last season, and only last season. That's it. If Brodeur played 100 more games as a Devil, you'd see that number drop, but he won't, so you won't see it.

It wasn't just last year, they scored like a half goal more per game the year before with Marty's starts compared to Moose's starts iirc. The only thing fluky about last year was the amount of difference. There's no way Marty's average should have been that high or Cory's that low but there is a difference.

Internet Police strikes again.  You have become the forum nanny in pretty much every thread you are in from whining about GDT titles to telling us what we can and cannot say in our posts.

Please stop.

I made one comment one time about a thread title. It was everyone else that was complaining, not me, so don't give me that garbage. Copying what other posters say won't get you anywhere. Anyway, I didn't get personal with you the way you just did with me. How very underhanded. Honestly, this was just a very weird reaction by you.

All I pointed out is that you constantly complain about the FB group and everyone else is just like 'Dude, don't read it.' If you hate it so much, why are you obsessively reporting on it?

Edited by Neb00rs

Why are we comparing this years team to last years team? They are not comparable. Last years team had a great defense and had great possession numbers. If Cory started more last year then maybe they would have made the postseason. This years team is a train wreck and thank god we have Cory because imagine any .905 goaltender facing this amount of shots per game along with this joke of an offense.

Edited by Zubie#8