Presenting...the New Jersey Devils last 26 shootout attempts

'7'

Wanna know something funny?  The Devils actually have the 2nd highest shootout shooting percentage in NHL history.  I'm gonna assume that prior to these past 2 seasons, they actually had the best shooting percentage.

They were awesome at it for a long time.  It remains amazing how much it's gone the other way.  It's like going from being a 110-point team one season to a 60-point team the next.  That jarring and that sudden.

Mother of God this is so disappointing...freaking put out greene, zidlicky, and gelinas as the anchor so he can blast a hole through the goalies chest.

i just dont understand after all of those attempts how not one single person (other than boucher once) has scored one single shoot out goal... i mean when we go to a shoot out the other teams must be laughing at us

i just dont understand after all of those attempts how not one single person (other than boucher once) has scored one single shoot out goal... i mean when we go to a shoot out the other teams must be laughing at us

It's psychological now, as '7' said above. It's in their heads that they can't score. All they can do is fight through it

No one has any good dekes or come wide enough to pull the goalie away from the post.

Those are pretty and make highlight reels, but most goals are just straight shots, and our guys just don't have the confidence to beat a goalie flat out. Look at the shooters against us. Most of them aren't doing anything amazing.

Edited by Devil Dan 56

And PDB still refuses to practice shootouts/breakways/finishing on a regular basis!

i mean who really knows what they are practicing.. but i think it should definently be something that should be focused on a little more. This team goes to over time constantly which leads to shoot outs which is an automatic loss

i mean who really knows what they are practicing.. but i think it should definently be something that should be focused on a little more. This team goes to over time constantly which leads to shoot outs which is an automatic loss

No, PDB has said as much-that they rarely practice any of it. They're probably too busy practicing the ol' cycle the puck back to Salvador for a weak, inaccurate wrist shot from the point move.

And PDB still refuses to practice shootouts/breakways/finishing on a regular basis!

Yeah, I'm sure by practicing the shootout, these players who have spent their entire lives handling pucks, stickhandling, and thinking about how to deke out goalies will get much better at doing that.

The only reason to practice the shootout is to inform the coach who might be better at it than previously thought should he need to go looking for candidates.  

Edited by Triumph

We're lacking finesse players, I don't really know if wasting time at the end of practice is going to help the fact that we have a lot of one type of player and absolutely zero of another type of player on our roster.

Randy Miller was justified in asking DeBoer that type of question, and DeBoer was just fine by me in responding the way he did. Good to see some frustration and anger in him.

re:  shootouts...it will always be what it is. 

Detroit has always been a team that's had its share of skill players through the years.  Their lifetime shootout record?  39-48

Even with the Devils' recent suckage (2-14 in shootouts the last two years), they're still 56-43 in shootouts overall.  Just makes one realize how absurdly awesome they were in them for a while.  54-29 through the end of the 2011-12 season.  Great when you have both shooters and goalies who excel in them.  But even if the Devils start finding the back of the net, Schneider's been more of a .600 guy than the .700+ Marty's been.  And like shooters, goalies can unexpectedly be great at these things too...MAF is 42-17 with a .777 save% in SOs.  A lot of luck involved.     

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Schneider's been more of a .600 guy than the .700+ Marty's been.  And like shooters, goalies can unexpectedly be great at these things too...MAF is 42-17 with a .777 save% in SOs.  A lot of luck involved.     

Yeah it's kind of crazy. It's like, Schneider will stop that breakaway situation with a minute left in regulation time, but doesn't seem too solid on it during the shootout. Not a testament to his skill or whatever, but an intangible, one of those things we'll never understand. There are 4th liners that some teams throw on the shootout because they are randomly skilled at it...(???)

Yeah, I'm sure by practicing the shootout, these players who have spent their entire lives handling pucks, stickhandling, and thinking about how to deke out goalies will get much better at doing that.

The only reason to practice the shootout is to inform the coach who might be better at it than previously thought should he need to go looking for candidates.  

Not quite true. Firstly, practicing the shootout can keep the breakaway situation fresh in players minds. Players aren't necessarily prepared for shootouts and practicing them allows players to develop moves and better learn how NHL goalies react one on one. Many players get so focused on the team game because of how much work they put into to being NHL caliber, that the more individual aspects of their game suffer. Better yet, if your coaching staff is aware of the tendencies of the upcoming team's goalie, replicating that in a shootout could do wonders for the players' preparation. It's naive to think that NHL players cannot improve their shootout skills just because they have been playing hockey for their whole lives. 

Not quite true. Firstly, practicing the shootout can keep the breakaway situation fresh in players minds. Players aren't necessarily prepared for shootouts and practicing them allows players to develop moves and better learn how NHL goalies react one on one. Many players get so focused on the team game because of how much work they put into to being NHL caliber, that the more individual aspects of their game suffer. Better yet, if your coaching staff is aware of the tendencies of the upcoming team's goalie, replicating that in a shootout could do wonders for the players' preparation. It's naive to think that NHL players cannot improve their shootout skills just because they have been playing hockey for their whole lives. 

right, for example Kovalchuk (who was already handling the puck and knew how to score obviously more than most guys in the NHL) was always struggling in SO, until Brodeur gave him a trick and then the fvcker couldnt stop scoring.

right, for example Kovalchuk (who was already handling the puck and knew how to score obviously more than most guys in the NHL) was always struggling in SO, until Brodeur gave him a trick and then the fvcker couldnt stop scoring.

More of an exception to the rule. 

What do people think...teams who have a lot of success in the shootout just work on them tirelessly?  Devils had an awesome awesome run.  It wasn't going to last forever.  Neither will the god-awful run they're on now. 

Want to practice it, sure, why not, but I don't think it will make that much difference. 

The shootout is totally random, and the stats back that up. As a goalie, I would say that confidence is one half and that luck is the other. The Devils are being plagued by both in this case I think. Yes its been a long stretch of suckage, but it wont last forever. Due to it being a confidence thing, its not something u can blame the coach for. His choices of shooters on the other hand is a different issue

Edited by RizzMB30

More of an exception to the rule. 

What do people think...teams who have a lot of success in the shootout just work on them tirelessly?  Devils had an awesome awesome run.  It wasn't going to last forever.  Neither will the god-awful run they're on now. 

Want to practice it, sure, why not, but I don't think it will make that much difference. 

While, I think what Sterio said is a simplification, it's not just a coincidence that we are failing on the shootout - but only that we are failing THIS bad. If you can couple a few coincidences with poor play then that is how you end up with the worst record in the league on the shootout. My previous points still stand though,over-practicing the shootout certainly won't help, as DeBoer rightly hinted at. Secondly, the argument you made ("What do people think...teams who have a lot of success in the shootout just work on them tirelessly?") is faulty because no one is saying that you HAVE to practice the shootout to perform well at it but that if you are failing at it, it should become are area to work on.

I'm guessing you probably focused on this part of the article:

There's no doubt part of the problem is that the Devils lost their two best offensive players during the last two offseasons.

In 2011-12, coach Pete DeBoer’s first season with the Devils, they were 12-4 in shootouts with Zach Parise and Ilya Kovalchuk combining for 19 goals on 30 shots.

Both are gone now

But this is also accurate:

"A lot of the teams practice it after every practice, some even practice it in the pregame skate,” McGuire said. “It’s hard to equate. The Detroit Red Wings have some of the best shootout players in the league in terms of skill and go check their record. They were 0-7 at one point and now they’re 1-7."

"You can practice it all you want,” McGuire said, “but if you’re not comfortable with it … It’s a different situation. That’s why it’s called a skilled competition. It’s just a weird kind of a deal."

The writer wonders why Brodeur isn't as good in shootouts as he once was.  Maybe because he's 41 and not what he was?  At any rate, 11 shots against is a pretty small sample.   

Schneider has faced the same number of shots this season, so trying to draw conclusions from those samples is probably futile. 

But yeah, if you're getting meh-ish goaltending in these things, and basically taking 0-fers in every shooting attempt, yeah, you're going to lose a lot. 

you seriously think they should waste time practicing the shootout??

They could sepnd all practice on the PP and it would not be enough for me!!

i think they should be practicing the shoot out regularly. ... at the end of every practice they should run through it. however if the players on the team(the majority of them) just arent talented in that department i dont think practicing it over and over will change all that much in the end

I'm guessing you probably focused on this part of the article:

There's no doubt part of the problem is that the Devils lost their two best offensive players during the last two offseasons.

In 2011-12, coach Pete DeBoer’s first season with the Devils, they were 12-4 in shootouts with Zach Parise and Ilya Kovalchuk combining for 19 goals on 30 shots.

Both are gone now

lol i mean seriously, every time I mention something about Zach you get on my case whining about it that i'm beating a dead horse, yet every chances YOU get to bring it up quoting me even though i havent said a thing about it really, you'll go for it. You're really one of a kind.

Not even the first time i'm telling you this. YOU keep bringing up this conversation or stuff i said in the past. If you really want me to shut up about it stop poking.

Yeah I'm sure confidence plays no factor. Yeah I'm also sure practicing skills doesn't apply to professional players, cuz you know, they never do drills which incorporate stick handling or skating or anything. Yeah I'm also sure we don't need to look for other shootout candidates because we are so great at shootouts. What drivel. Edited by devlman