Gelinas to be sent to AHL when Volchenkov returns.

DevilMinder

@TGfireandice: Lamoriello on Gelinas: "We feel it’s the best thing for him right now. It could be short-term. It just depends upon on how he handles it.” @TGFireandice: Lamoriello stressed what's happened with Gelinas is "a normal process" with young defensemen. @TGfireandice: Lamoriello: "We’re trying to pro-act rather than see (his play) slip too much and (then) get him right back.”

Sounds like this could just be a short-term thing for confidence.

@TGfireandice: Lamoriello on Gelinas: "We feel it’s the best thing for him right now. It could be short-term. It just depends upon on how he handles it.” @TGFireandice: Lamoriello stressed what's happened with Gelinas is "a normal process" with young defensemen. @TGfireandice: Lamoriello: "We’re trying to pro-act rather than see (his play) slip too much and (then) get him right back.” Sounds like this could just be a short-term thing for confidence.

i dont think they will just leave him down there... especially for very long, he brings too much to the table with his offense

Confidence? Something tells me Gelinas is not lacking confidence. If he could speak freely, I believe he would say he is better than most of the D on the team.

I can't see anyway a trade isn't imminent, any chance Larsson and Fayne get dealt in a package(maybe Kinkaid ) for a middle six forward? Ladd? Somehow Kane? Moulson?

I don't think Lou ever wanted to send Gelinas down when he was healthy, but there really isn't a good option right now. Gelinas has been awful in his own end, and there hasn't been much offense from him either lately.

I saw some people commenting on TG's tweets saying it should be Merrill going down, but that's ridiculous. Merrill doesnt bring the offense Gelinas does, but he has been a lot better the last 8-9 games.

Everyone is excited about the potential for Gelinas, but the Gelinas of the last few weeks is not the one you want to see in the lineup.

I wish he got an opportunity on the first PP unit instead of Greene the last few weeks, but oh well.

TGfireandice: Lamoriello said Gelinas has been "pressing" the past few games and needs to go back to Albany and find his game.

sounds like Lou is pressing to make room for all his half-assed vets.  Cut bait dude -- just cut bate on the old farts.

My ENTIRE MO has been to support old farts and all that they have to offer.  Well seeing things from the same clear sideline - these vets blow.  Whatever <_<  It just looks a heck of a lot like mealy mouthed coaching giving old fvckers who kind of never could play top line hockey every freaking chance to ruin the dammteama&*(#%^&*)$%Y^@$%&*) -- that's just where I'm at now....  it's not easy to find my rose-coloreds  :rant:

Like i said i dont mind that move too much as long its short term but the roster management from Lou and Deboer has been horrible in the last few years. Obviously not as if everything they do is bad but theres moves they did that were clearly not the right thing to do.

Either messing up a players confidence, mishandling roster putting the team in trouble (have to play a game a man down, losing players through waivers for nothing, guys knowing a guy is getting traded once another one is coming off injury cause they are over limit, Burning a year a matteau's contract for nothing. Slapping the C on one of our worst player making him unbenchable Etc etc)

Of course every teams have to deal with these situation but seeing young players sitting who are cleaaaarrrrllllyyyy playing better than other vets getting away with murder is a regular thing in NJ now.

I simply feel bad for so many guys, fayne and larsson especially. It may not be a big deal but i really felt bad when deboer benched larsson when it was his one and only chance to play against Lidstrom and played a sh&#33;tty vet instead, larsson wasnt playing that bad either at that time.

They have too many defenseman, they had to send him down. As good as he played, he was only here because of injuries. The injuries having resolved, what are they supposed to do? I'm not a big Volchenkov fan but they aren't sending him down. Maybe Gelinas comes back up one day, maybe he becomes trade bait, I don't know. I sure hope he is part of our future.

I understand Gelinas has had a rough go in December, but he brings an element that this team desperately needs.  Offense.

Merriil should have been the one sent down imo.  I haven't been too impressed with him.

Merrill's Pete's golden child.  Everyone else under 25 can **** off.

Merrill's Pete's golden child.  Everyone else under 25 can **** off.

Merrill has the potential to be a star defenseman in this league.  I understand his ceiling is higher than Gelinas, but Gelinas was actually putting up points.  Merrill hasn't. I'm not trying to attack Merrill here either.  But Gelinas is being punished for basically a 7 or 8 game stretch even if punishment wasn't Pete's intention.

Gelinas has been playing like dogsh&#33;t and Merrill has been playing very well.  This is frankly, deserved - Gelinas's problem is not what he can do, but rather what he was doing - consistently blowing plays in the D zone and flubbing passes and shots too often.  One issue I do have is that it sure seems like when Gelinas was told to be more physical his game went into the toilet, and his physicality really hasn't helped much - too many hits thrown where the guy gets by anyway.

Gelinas has been playing like dogsh!t and Merrill has been playing very well.  This is frankly, deserved - Gelinas's problem is not what he can do, but rather what he was doing - consistently blowing plays in the D zone and flubbing passes and shots too often.  One issue I do have is that it sure seems like when Gelinas was told to be more physical his game went into the toilet, and his physicality really hasn't helped much - too many hits thrown where the guy gets by anyway.

This kind of mentality ruins young players.  He had a bad 7 game stretch.  Let him play through it.  

Merriill hasn't been bad.  But where is the dynamic offense he's supposed to have?  Merriil has made almost just as many mistakes as Gelinas has if not more.  He's also not nearly as disciplined as Gelinas.

This kind of mentality ruins young players.  He had a bad 7 game stretch.  Let him play through it.  

He wasn't getting better.  He was getting worse with each game.  He will be back on NJ's roster soon, provided he doesn't do poorly in Albany.

Merriill hasn't been bad.  But where is the dynamic offense he's supposed to have?  Merriil has made almost just as many mistakes as Gelinas has if not more.  He's also not nearly as disciplined as Gelinas.

Merrill went his first 15 games without a penalty.  His 'dynamic offense' doesn't exist.  He's going to contribute offensively, but not in the way that Gelinas and Zidlicky do.  He's much better at breaking the puck out of his own zone and he plays a smarter game overall.  

Edited by Triumph

Or you could end up with guys like Edmonton has where nobody learned jack squat and still plays like they're 18 and hate to play defense

Edited by DH26

Here's the thing of it - coaching has no issues fvcking around with younger players. Fine. But they just leave the old fvcks to hang with this bullsh&#33;t that they're doing their job ( or not). They need help though. They stink guys. Spit? Seriously? How about energy sink? That's what they bring. How does that work for you? It's what I keep bitching about. Capable is not acceptable. Get that whole notion out of your head. You don't understand hockey if you think this core is to be counted on. Blahblahblah. Sorry. This is not Devils hockey nor is it devils defense. All you board oldies sound like you're spanking it trying not to offend the spirit of devils past. It's all such unbearable ineffectuAl lip service. No one is just facing the truth of it is all. Coach the old fvcks or dump them. This is all just bullsh&#33;t unearned misplaced respect. Not even. It's like....submission to un talented overpaid vets sucking up with happy horsesh&#33;t :puke::argh: hey but whose watching... : yuck:

Edited by Pepperkorn

Gelinas has been playing like dogsh!t and Merrill has been playing very well.  This is frankly, deserved - Gelinas's problem is not what he can do, but rather what he was doing - consistently blowing plays in the D zone and flubbing passes and shots too often.  One issue I do have is that it sure seems like when Gelinas was told to be more physical his game went into the toilet, and his physicality really hasn't helped much - too many hits thrown where the guy gets by anyway.

This has always been the knock on gelinas since hes a kid that he wasnt physical enough, i dont think its gonna change much