Gelinas to be sent to AHL when Volchenkov returns.

DevilMinder

Gelinas is exactly what he was advertised to be.   It's a roster crunch move but it's going to look stupid in retrospect if it drags on through the Olympic break.  Of course, they could have just assigned him there for a few weeks right then, but hey, whatever works

When I was in hs I was playing varsity baseball as a soph, but started getting overwhelmed so I asked the coach if I could go play a few games at jv to get my confidence back. He f'n ripped me a new one. You never never ever ask to be sent down, no matter how logical it seems or comfortable it makes you feel. not saying gelinas asked to go to Albany, of course, but he should work his kinks out with the big squad. They know what he can do. The team is teetering on the brink as it is, and replacement (volch, sal?) clearly aren't the future (or the present).

These psychological, in the lineup, out of the lineup, up and down moves are bs. Put the best guys in there, let them learn, what have we got to lose? We lost to the sabres and only scored one f'n goal, so they send packing the best goal scoring defenseman? Good f'n plan. Maybe he'll learn his game and sign with Detroit or Chicago next contract time. No accountability on this team whatsoever. None.

Here's the thing of it - coaching has no issues fvcking around with younger players. Fine. But they just leave the old fvcks to hang with this bullsh!t that they're doing their job ( or not). They need help though. They stink guys. Spit? Seriously? How about energy sink? That's what they bring. How does that work for you? It's what I keep bitching about. Capable is not acceptable. Get that whole notion out of your head. You don't understand hockey if you think this core is to be counted on. Blahblahblah. Sorry. This is not Devils hockey nor is it devils defense. All you board oldies sound like you're spanking it trying not to offend the spirit of devils past. It's all such unbearable ineffectuAl lip service. No one is just facing the truth of it is all. Coach the old fvcks or dump them. This is all just bullsh!t unearned misplaced respect. Not even. It's like....submission to un talented overpaid vets sucking up with happy horsesh!t :puke::argh: hey but whose watching... : yuck:

Couldn't have said it better myself....no really, I could not have.

I really don't know what there is for him to learn down there. He is what he is, he'll dominate there offensively and play meh D against worse players as opposed to dodgy D against better players.

This is something that should be worked on at this level, but they have too many freaking players and it forces moves.

Absolutely agree. He's had enough time in Albany. Work on his game up here. We can sure use his shot and to replace him with Volch, Sal, or Merrill is not a move that improves our chances of winning. Merrill def needs to be sent down asap. Edited by devlman

Why is this hate for Merrill? he's been really good, realy good. Steady hand back there and he's been in the league for a month. 

I still want to see Gelly back up and paired with Larsson it was the best both of them played.

So do I, but then we end up praying for injuries.

Gelinas is exactly what he was advertised to be.   It's a roster crunch move but it's going to look stupid in retrospect if it drags on through the Olympic break.  Of course, they could have just assigned him there for a few weeks right then, but hey, whatever works

He's not though.  That's just it.  It's not a 'roster crunch' move - NJ could've waived Janssen.  They could trade Fayne in the next week, certainly.  But I don't think consistently flubbed passes and shots as well as constantly being beat wide were part of the Gelinas deal.  Poor D zone coverage, sure, that you can live with.  Other stuff, not really.

I'm really glad some of you guys aren't in charge of the roster. Not saying which ones.

Volchenkov is back, they needed to make room for a defenseman. It was either Gelinas or Merrill that had to go and they chose Gelinas. Had he been playing lights out, it would have been a tougher choice. But he wasn't and that made it easier.

BTW, here's Gelinas's last 9 games:

11 shots, 0 +/-. 46.7% shots %, 49.2% fenwick, 50.2% Corsi, zone start: 62.6% - that's unacceptable. if he's eating up a lot of NJ's offensive zone draws and breaking even with them, NJ can use someone else in that spot.

Who do you suggest outside of the slow D we do have?

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by Devlin

Why is this hate for Merrill? he's been really good, realy good. Steady hand back there and he's been in the league for a month. 

I still want to see Gelly back up and paired with Larsson it was the best both of them played.

merrill is looking better each game i think... a week or so ago he was making mistake after mistake

When I was in hs I was playing varsity baseball as a soph, but started getting overwhelmed so I asked the coach if I could go play a few games at jv to get my confidence back. He f'n ripped me a new one. You never never ever ask to be sent down, no matter how logical it seems or comfortable it makes you feel. not saying gelinas asked to go to Albany, of course, but he should work his kinks out with the big squad. They know what he can do. The team is teetering on the brink as it is, and replacement (volch, sal?) clearly aren't the future (or the present).

These psychological, in the lineup, out of the lineup, up and down moves are bs. Put the best guys in there, let them learn, what have we got to lose? We lost to the sabres and only scored one f'n goal, so they send packing the best goal scoring defenseman? Good f'n plan. Maybe he'll learn his game and sign with Detroit or Chicago next contract time. No accountability on this team whatsoever. None.

As you said "put the best guys in". The issue is that Gelinas hasn't been one of the best guys in a few weeks. He needs to go back down and find his game. Confidence is huge and he seems to have lost his. His biggest asset is his offense, and he has 1 assist in the last 7 games while being real bad in his own end. Just throwing a bunch of young guys in to learn on the fly is how you get teams like Edmonton and the Islanders right now. 

No accountability on this team whatsoever. None.

This is accountability. They want him to get his game back. 

He's not though.  That's just it.  It's not a 'roster crunch' move - NJ could've waived Janssen.  They could trade Fayne in the next week, certainly.  But I don't think consistently flubbed passes and shots as well as constantly being beat wide were part of the Gelinas deal.  Poor D zone coverage, sure, that you can live with.  Other stuff, not really.

You and I both know they're not waiving Janssen, especially with him taking a paycut.   He's their mascot.    They had to send both Gelinas and Merill down pretty soon (barring yet another injury), and it was pretty likely Tedenby was going to get waived when Elias came back (so they got to it early).

He had hit a rough patch, so did Zidlicky before the last few games.   I just think they got a little out front on it, but if all of the "injured" players are going to start coming back, there's not much you can do

I love Merrill's potential but he makes too many mistakes, and isn't NHL ready. Give him some more time in Albany to gain pro experience.

we keep talking about the young guys mistakes... but seriously who was in front of the net not doing anything for the first goal yesterday after being pinned in their own zone for like a minute not able to get the puck out last night? Salvador and A-Train.

With their speed they get caught flat footed so often, at least the kids have the speed to at least try to correct their mistakes if they let a guy go, plus they can bring offence. Sal and Volch cant get the puck out other than if they have a straight skating line  to the red line then they'll slap it around the boards, or they'll ice it or bank it along the boards just to give it back to the other team.

PLUS, our system rely A LOT on getting the puck to the point, we all know that if the puck goes to the point to Volch or Sal... thats it. The play won't continue or have a high scoring chance there. At least again the kids can handle the puck, shoot a lot better or go back and forth between them and make good passes from time to time.

we keep talking about the young guys mistakes... but seriously who was in front of the net not doing anything for the first goal yesterday after being pinned in their own zone for like a minute not able to get the puck out last night? Salvador and A-Train.

With their speed they get caught flat footed so often, at least the kids have the speed to at least try to correct their mistakes if they let a guy go, plus they can bring offence. Sal and Volch cant get the puck out other than if they have a straight skating line  to the red line then they'll slap it around the boards, or they'll ice it or bank it along the boards just to give it back to the other team.

PLUS, our system rely A LOT on getting the puck to the point, we all know that if the puck goes to the point to Volch or Sal... thats it. The play won't continue or have a high scoring chance there. At least again the kids can handle the puck, shoot a lot better or go back and forth between them and make good passes from time to time.

You need your defenseman to play defense first. Zidlicky is already a liability on the blue line and we can't afford another. With gelinas in the lineup it means he or zidlicky would need to get significant pk time and that is unacceptable.

This was the best move for everyone, Gelinas can work some kinks out and will probably be back up at some point this season.

I will be surprised if they send Merrill down this week (or whenever larsson gets back). Pete has been trusting him a lot and despite a bad penalty late last night he has been pretty solid. If Lou can't swing a trade I think they'may use a 7 d rotation with Fayne doing some sitting in the press box.

Of course it's Lou though so you never know...

You and I both know they're not waiving Janssen, especially with him taking a paycut.   He's their mascot.    They had to send both Gelinas and Merill down pretty soon (barring yet another injury), and it was pretty likely Tedenby was going to get waived when Elias came back (so they got to it early).

He had hit a rough patch, so did Zidlicky before the last few games.   I just think they got a little out front on it, but if all of the "injured" players are going to start coming back, there's not much you can do

I don't know that.  Janssen spent almost all of last year in the minors and he's more than fungible if the GM decides he wants NHL players.  Furthermore, him taking a paycut - he was signed to a two-way deal for a reason, that's what two-way deals are there for.  So that the guy gets less money if he plays in the AHL - a designation which he received for almost all of last year and would've probably gotten most of this year, too, had things broken even slightly differently.

Gelinas might not have been sent down if the roster situation was different but he certainly would've earned a benching with his recent play.  I'm not convinced that Merrill goes down when Larsson returns - they could deal Fayne and trust that they have 8 guys (Zidlicky, Salvador, Volchenkov, Greene, Larsson, Gelinas, Merrill, Harrold) when the situation merits it.

Gelinas playing as he has would just flub the shot half the time.  He'll be back.  Also how's Urbom doing?

Eh, just to throw in a cheap shot.  Guess I could've just bumped the Urbom thread.

Sure bump it up. Want me to bump the one where you said we'd be perfectly fine without Zach and that he'll be watching us in the playoffs from his couch in minny? Lol kind of funny cause the opposite happened

Sure bump it up. Want me to bump the one where you said we'd be perfectly fine without Zach and that he'll be watching us in the playoffs from his couch in minny? Lol kind of funny cause the opposite happened

Sure, if you believe that happened, go ahead.  I probably did say that - 'course the Wild dominated their way into the playoffs and lost in 5 games and don't exactly look like they're playoff locks this year either, but hey.