Gelinas to be sent to AHL when Volchenkov returns.

DevilMinder

BTW, here's Gelinas's last 9 games:

11 shots, 0 +/-. 46.7% shots %, 49.2% fenwick, 50.2% Corsi, zone start:  62.6% - that's unacceptable.  if he's eating up a lot of NJ's offensive zone draws and breaking even with them, NJ can use someone else in that spot.

I understand he hasn't been playing well.  But if the team wants to win, you let Gelinas try and battle through this.  He's been one of the best offensive players on the team, and the team hasn't been scoring a whole a lot of goals.  We need his offense in order to stay in the playoff race.  Offense is something Merrill hasn't shown at all.

Defensively no. Offensively yes but as of late. Again no his offensive spark has disappeared. Again. Wanna end up with one dimensional Edmonton talent. They can score. Can't plat d and get shut down easily. Lou has done this a hundred times over his duration. If sending gelly down was more of a liability to his development it wouldn't be happening.

But overall Gelinas has been better. And like I said, if we want to win, we need offense. And Gelinas has been far better offensively.

Edited by CarterforPresident

I understand he hasn't been playing well.  But if the team wants to win, you let Gelinas try and battle through this.  He's been one of the best offensive players on the team, and the team hasn't been scoring a whole a lot of goals.  We need his offense in order to stay in the playoff race.  Offense is something Merrill hasn't shown at all.

Merrill's been much better than Gelinas in the D zone and while he may not be a guy that puts up points, he moves the puck well to move play up ice. Devils tend to retain possession better on his zone exits too. He may not be a traditional numbers guy but I think he is a 2 way D who has a positive effect on the offense when he's out there.

Devils have been fortunate that Gelinas came up and put up points when Zidlicky went thru an extended dry spell and now they are fortunate Zidlicky has contributed offensively as of late when Gelinas went cold. I still think this is just a temporary thing for Gelinas to get back to playing his game and get some confidence.

They have.  Things have been getting worse, not better.  As Deboer said, it's hardest to be Gelinas's sort of defenseman in the NHL, so I have few doubts that he will get it.

Haha and as I write that, he gets recalled.  Guess that was a paper move, since he didn't play in Saturday's game.

i like gelinas he has a ton of potential i think he needs to stay up here.. oh yea and that shot he has my god

He's definitely got potential, but a lot of players yo-yo between the AHL and NHL before they stick for good. Even Elias took a year or two to cement a spot. One thing I like about the Devils organization is that they seem really intent on creating well-rounded players and properly developing them. Sometimes they seem a little too careful, like when they wouldn't give Kinkaid a start last season when Moose was on that terrible stretch, but for the most part, they don't flub a lot of top prospects. There aren't too many guys who go to another team and turn into a star after the Devils give up on them.

I sincerely think this means a trade is incoming, unless larsson's return is not as imminent as we've been told.

Agree... Larsson's saying he feels ready to play for 4-5 days now, but DeBoer and Lou shrugging it off as "Nahhh, not really..."

Wreaks of them working on moving someone imminently. We clearly have a logjam now with the veterans playing noticeably worse than the kids. Fayne looks great lately, wonder what his trade value is.

Edited by DJ Eco

Agree... Larsson's saying he feels ready to play for 4-5 days now, but DeBoer and Lou shrugging it off as "Nahhh, not really..."

Wreaks of them working on moving someone imminently. We clearly have a logjam now with the veterans playing noticeably worse than the kids. Fayne looks great lately, wonder what his trade value is.

Yeah if there is a move fayne is the most likely, not that I necessarily agree it should be him...It's so difficult to predict what Lou might do. Watch him just send gelinas down again on Wednesday lol.

Yeah if there is a move fayne is the most likely, not that I necessarily agree it should be him...It's so difficult to predict what Lou might do. Watch him just send gelinas down again on Wednesday lol.

If im Lou im really trying to see what i want on D next season and start preparing moves. 

1- Talk with the owners about a possible compliance buyout on Salvador or Volch

2- Talk with Fayne about his next contract expectations

3- Talk with Zids about his next contract expectations

4- Figure out stuff from there before the trade deadline

5- Be sure to get a return of any kind on what we'll likely lose

Personally i'd keep Fayne, he shouldn't be too expensive and he's reliable. 

Not possible but this is what i would shoot for next season and i'd fvcking live with it lol Sal and A-train may be better defensively but they are not worth their contracts. Plus he's younger. safe to say if the organization doesn't show any interest or show that they'll make room Fayne is absolutely gone at the second he can sign somewhere else. 

Green - Merrill

Larsson - Gelinas

Fayne - Zid

Sal/Volch - Harrold

also the owners would have to eat lots of salary with the buyouts but if we miss the playoffs they'll have to understand having that extra cap space and spending a little extra on forwards if we can could help a lot. 

Edited by SterioDesign

Gagner's been in and out of the rumor mill for some time now. I'd love to add him but I don't think they'd want Fayne since he's a UFA. Would probably take Josefson + one of Merrill or Gelinas since they are just about NHL ready and relatively cheap for the next few years and EDM could use some D. Don't know if Lou would be willing to give up one of the young D though.

Seems Like I'm in the minority here, but I'm pissed!  Gelly has thrown some life into the PP, and i do beleive he can learn on the job in the NHL, the speed of play in the AHL is too slow for him to learn, he needs to learn while playing the best in the world, just 1 man's opinion, but there comes a point where he eeds to play on this level, and learn on this level,.