All purpose Olympics thread

SterioDesign

Kovy skips practice to rest!  Hmmm.  wonder if his back is still not right?

it was his leg during the 2nd period yesterday He went down an another player fell on his leg. He stood up and then fell on the ice and limped off to dressing room and then he returned for th 3rd period.

Canada women are ahead 3-0 12 mins. into 1st period.

could be that, in either case I think he knew his age and injuries were catching up. his hands are still sweet though

Hell I'd still take him back for his hands alone. He'd be like a much better Ryder.

On a different contract though, obviously.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Women's hockey is a joke. No disrespect, but really- can the rest of the world get with it? Us and Canada for the gold again, shocking. These games suck, as usual.

16 years of women's olypmpic hockey, you'd think one of these other countries could field a team that could at least challenge the US or Canada. It's terrible hockey.

Seriously why bother with a tournament at all at this point? Just have the US and Canada play a best of 7 for the gold and call it a day.

Women's hockey is a joke. No disrespect, but really- can the rest of the world get with it? Us and Canada for the gold again, shocking. These games suck, as usual.

16 years of women's olypmpic hockey, you'd think one of these other countries could field a team that could at least challenge the US or Canada. It's terrible hockey.

Seriously why bother with a tournament at all at this point? Just have the US and Canada play a best of 7 for the gold and call it a day.

That why TVs have an on-off switch and channel changer.

Cause people wants to believe it cause it would make them feel better to believe that he's done.

It's a proven fact that certain back injuries never 100% heal.  That's why we pointed out the possibility of his lingering back injury.

Edited by Mike Brown

Cause people wants to believe it cause it would make them feel better to believe that he's done.

There is reason to believe he may be close to done. 2013 wasn't a great year for him, and he isn't lighting it up in the KHL either. There is definitely reason to believe that he may have some sort of issue. I'm not happy he's gone, I'm just happy we aren't giving him 11 million bucks right now.

Edited by Devil Dan 56

I don't agree with this because Finland and the Swiss have actually been legit opponents for US and Canada at least this year.  It's still a growing sport.

No.  Like DD56 pointed out, there's signs that point to him having physical issues that are affecting his play...not to the point of being finished, but definitely enough that he's probably not Kovy anymore.  As has been pointed out, for a guy who was considered to have top (but flawed) world talent, his KHL numbers really aren't very impressive at all...at the very least, he is not the offensive force he once was.     

He was smart to do what he did...he found a league where he could still make a boatload of money, play in 30 less regular season games a year, not have to deal with the grind of an NHL season (which was going to be even harder on him this season, with the compressed schedule) and go somewhere that's truly home to him.   

I don't agree with this because Finland and the Swiss have actually been legit opponents for US and Canada at least this year. It's still a growing sport.

And Finland and Switzerland were so good, they got picked off by teams the US and Canada would wipe the floor with. In 2018 if some of these other countries can't compete, just stay home. Of course I want our girls to win, but its not even fun to watch at this rate.

There was a time when men's hockey was the same. I think in 10 years or less, we'll at least see a legit 4 team race in women's hockey.

I'll bet someone said that after 2006 too.

And Finland and Switzerland were so good, they got picked off by teams the US and Canada would wipe the floor with. In 2018 if some of these other countries can't compete, just stay home. Of course I want our girls to win, but its not even fun to watch at this rate.

Canada just beat the Swiss 3-1.  How is that wiping the floor?  The goalies Finland and the Swiss have are probably both better than the goalies the US and Canada have alone.  Give it time.  16 years isn't that long.

Canada just beat the Swiss 3-1. How is that wiping the floor? The goalies Finland and the Swiss have are probably both better than the goalies the US and Canada have alone. Give it time. 16 years isn't that long.

3-1 is progress. But I figured the Scandinavian countries would be further along at this point. Sweden embarrassed themselves this morning.

True, perhaps that was a bit strong. I just figured 16 years into olympic competition, some of the other hockey countries would have been able to develop better women's talent to this point.

I understand what you're saying but honestly is the men's all that different? IMO there are 4 teams that have legit shot at gold compared to two for the women. Anyone outside of those 4 winning would be a big upset IMO. Sure a team like the Czechs or Swiss might go on a run and get to a bronze medal game but even that's unlikely.

Heck go back and look at the first 6 Olympic men's ice hockey tournaments- Canada won 5 of them and silver once, with the US getting silver 3 times. So it's not unusual for one or two teams to dominate early in international competitions.

True, perhaps that was a bit strong. I just figured 16 years into olympic competition, some of the other hockey countries would have been able to develop better women's talent to this point.

16 years isn't a lot of time.  Look how long it's taking US Men's hockey to just get on par with Canada.  And we're still not equal to them.

16 years isn't a lot of time.  Look how long it's taking US Men's hockey to just get on par with Canada.  And we're still not equal to them.

We were a goal away from beating them on their soil for a gold medal 4 years ago. I'd say we're on par.

I agree.  But my point was it took how many years to get there?  16 years isn't a lot of time to develop that much talent.

So which is it Mike?  Are we still not equal to them or are we on par?  Jesus Christ.

Anyway, two golds for Canada in the last four Olympics, two silvers for the US.  One-goal loss for the US the last time.  Pretty close. 

Glad I'm not the only one that just went on a mental rollercoaster with those posts there.

So which is it Mike? Are we still not equal to them or are we on par? Jesus Christ.

Anyway, two golds for Canada in the last four Olympics, two silvers for the US. One-goal loss for the US the last time. Pretty close.

Edited by CarterforPresident