All purpose Olympics thread

SterioDesign

Well you were proven wrong on that one. You're not really the clever wordsmith you'd like to think you are, and if you keep this schtick up, you're going to continue to bog down threads and generally get on people's nerves. It's kind of too bad, because behind all of this nonsense I do think there's a pretty good poster in there somewhere.

Anyway, I got what you were going for (competitive enough not to lose to them every time, but not good enough to beat them half of the time...basically, if the US and Canada could play each other 10 times, the US wins 3 or 4 games), but you just have to stop making your points in what seems to be the most aggravating way possible, with the semantic hair-splitting.

Back on topic: dr33 made a good post about some women's hockey teams making strides, which is good news. Hopefully one of two of them can at least give the US and Canada some scares in 2018.

I have no schtick. I don't argue for both sides. Way to completely ignore when I actually admitted my mistake in the other thread.

I already am a great poster. Problem is you people like to interpret my posts in your own way. I don't leave my posts open to interpretation. I post what I mean and mean what I post. Period.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

I have no schtick. I don't argue for both sides. Way to completely ignore when I actually admitted my mistake in the other thread.

I already am a great poster. Problem is you people like to interpret my posts in your own way. I don't leave my posts open to interpretation. I post what I mean and mean what I post. Period.

How long is this going to continue?

After 2,719 posts in a 4 1/2 month span that's certainly not subjective by a lack of practice.

MB, KoolKoreanKid, whatever, I'm done with this...you know what you're doing (and I'm sure you'll continue to do it) and lame sayings like "I already am a great poster" and "I post what I mean and I mean what I post" don't change that fact.  That's all there really is to say about it. 

3-0 Czech Republic. Looks like I'll have to root against our guys tomorrow...

How good of a chance do the Czechs have to knock off the US?  I've been so busy trying to keep my biz going with all of the lost days due to weather that I haven't watched much Olympic hockey.  All I really have to go by are standings. 

This whole argument is why I hate the NHL's involvement in the Olympics.  Everyone is making broad judgements of each country based on a "tournament" that doesn't even equate to a seven game playoff series, with no preparation.   It is not in the sport's nature to have an NCAA March Madness style tournament.  Too many puck bounces, breaks, etc. could happen when the top teams meet.

It obviously would never happen, but if you want a true testament to each country's standing, there would need to be a full SC playoff style, best-of-7 series tournament.  Good luck ever seeing that.

This whole argument is why I hate the NHL's involvement in the Olympics.  Everyone is making broad judgements of each country based on a "tournament" that doesn't even equate to a seven game playoff series, with no preparation.   It is not in the sport's nature to have an NCAA March Madness style tournament.  Too many puck bounces, breaks, etc. could happen when the top teams meet.

It obviously would never happen, but if you want a true testament to each country's standing, there would need to be a full SC playoff style, best-of-7 series tournament.  Good luck ever seeing that.

the majority of Olympic sports are based on two final heats. being the best in the world doesn't guarantee anything. skaters and alpine skiers fall once and are OUT!  you need to rise to the moment, which, imo , is exciting and unpredictable

• Like 1

the majority of Olympic sports are based on two final heats. being the best in the world doesn't guarantee anything. skaters and alpine skiers fall once and are OUT! you need to rise to the moment, which, imo , is exciting and unpredictable

right on, you're not necessarily determining the best at something- in the words of rick moranis as the immortal danny o'shea in the 1994 classic little giants- "the cowboys may beat you 99 times out of a hundred, but that still leaves one time."

The Olympics isn't really about determining the best (otherwise the soviets would have won in 1980) it's about seeing who can win on any given day in a short tournament. Heck you could go as far as saying that in the nhl the presidents trophy winner should be awarded the cup if you just want it to go to the best team.

• Like 1

MB, KoolKoreanKid, whatever, I'm done with this...you know what you're doing (and I'm sure you'll continue to do it) and lame sayings like "I already am a great poster" and "I post what I mean and I mean what I post" don't change that fact. That's all there really is to say about it.

How good of a chance do the Czechs have to knock off the US? I've been so busy trying to keep my biz going with all of the lost days due to weather that I haven't watched much Olympic hockey. All I really have to go by are standings.

I haven't watched them very much other than when I was home for lunch today, but the Czechs have a shot to knock us off. We better show up, that's for damn sure or we'll have problems.

I can't believe Latvia pulled it off. They stand no chance versus Canada, though. Also, being of Czech descent and loving our Czechs that the Devils sent, I was hoping they'd medal, but no longer. My love of country is too strong. They need to show up for sure, but we will handle them, I'm sure. USA 4, CZE 2, I'm thinking...

Wow, that Latvia score is surprising. Good for them. Feel really bad for the Swiss, I thought they'd have a shot at bronze coming in. The Czechs haven't looked great, but obviously they can be dangerous if their game is on. I love the Czech style, I feel like they know the game better than anyone. I've seen a lot of over passing the few games I've seen them play. Maybe a confidence issue.

It is not in the sport's nature to have an NCAA March Madness style tournament.  Too many puck bounces, breaks, etc. could happen when the top teams meet.

You could say that about every major non-US-market sport.

right on, you're not necessarily determining the best at something- in the words of rick moranis as the immortal danny o'shea in the 1994 classic little giants- "the cowboys may beat you 99 times out of a hundred, but that still leaves one time."

The Olympics isn't really about determining the best (otherwise the soviets would have won in 1980) it's about seeing who can win on any given day in a short tournament. Heck you could go as far as saying that in the nhl the presidents trophy winner should be awarded the cup if you just want it to go to the best team.

Does anybody really think the 1980 US team was truly better than the Russians?  If they played 10 times, the US would've been very lucky to win more than once.  I like that it comes down to one game in the Olympics, sure, hockey's a game of breaks at times, but you'd better bring your best that day...no mulligans.

If I want to see seven-game series to determine who's better, I'll watch the NHL playoffs.

Found this gem on another forum :)

Pretty sure I just threw up in my mouth a little. 

• Like 1

Does anybody really think the 1980 US team was truly better than the Russians?  If they played 10 times, the US would've been very lucky to win more than once.  I like that it comes down to one game in the Olympics, sure, hockey's a game of breaks at times, but you'd better bring your best that day...no mulligans.

You nailed it.

Does anybody really think the 1980 US team was truly better than the Russians? If they played 10 times, the US would've been very lucky to win more than once. I like that it comes down to one game in the Olympics, sure, hockey's a game of breaks at times, but you'd better bring your best that day...no mulligans.

If I want to see seven-game series to determine who's better, I'll watch the NHL playoffs.

right yeah I guess I didn't make it clear that I agree with this... I'm fine with the Olympics and enjoy them. Zman brought up how the tournament format is not an accurate test of the best countries, and I just responded that that's not what the Olympics try to measure.

Really in all honestly the European soccer leagues have the fairest format for determining "the best" - even schedule and best record wins, no tournament, no playoffs. But I'll take the entertainment and excitement of the Stanley cup playoffs anyday over such a format.

right yeah I guess I didn't make it clear that I agree with this... I'm fine with the Olympics and enjoy them. Zman brought up how the tournament format is not an accurate test of the best countries, and I just responded that that's not what the Olympics try to measure.

Really in all honestly the European soccer leagues have the fairest format for determining "the best" - even schedule and best record wins, no tournament, no playoffs. But I'll take the entertainment and excitement of the Stanley cup playoffs anyday over such a format.

I was piggybacking on to what you were saying...I agreed with it and expanded on it.  Your post was completely clear.