All purpose Olympics thread

SterioDesign

So what are Russia's sports fans going to do now?  My guess would be that they do not pick a side in the remaining men's/women's hockey games but instead focus on other sports, but what's left for them?  I guess they have that girl in the figure skating.  I'm sure that entire country needs some sort of mood elevator and fast.

Finland isn't part of Scandinavia.

Technically Finland isn't part of Scandinavia..  From on historical point of view... But it's ok to call them scandinavian... (in a way)

It's Same Versus Viking on one side

and Cowboy Versus Trapper on the other one ! 

Would "Nordic" have been the proper term?

Edited by Devils Dose

Scandinavia vs North America is gonna be in the gold medal game.

Technically Finland isn't part of Scandinavia..  From on historical point of view... But it's ok to call them scandinavian... (in a way)

It's Same Versus Viking on one side

and Cowboy Versus Trapper on the other one ! 

Finland isn't part of Scandinavia. You are a mediocre poster at best.

Maybe according to the way you see the region. How a non-political area like that is defined is determined by cultural and individual perception. Finland is often included in "Scandinavia", as are Iceland and the Faroe Islands.

If you exclude Finland from a definition of Scandinavia, then it would either be on a basis of physical geography (i.e, not being on the Scandinavian Peninsula, in which case you must exclude Denmark, as well as Iceland and the Faroe Islands), or on a cultural basis, as Finnish is a non-"Scandinavian" (Northern Germanic) language (it's Uralic). In that case, you must also exclude Sami people that live in large parts of Sweden and Norway. 

Edit: I could never remember if "Sami" or "Lapp" was the derogatory term. Turns out it's the former.

I'd also be interested in hearing what people in that region have to say.

Edited by thecoffeecake

Maybe according to the way you see the region. How a non-political area like that is defined is determined by cultural and individual perception. Finland is often included in "Scandinavia", as are Iceland and the Faroe Islands.

If you exclude Finland from a definition of Scandinavia, then it would either be on a basis of physical geography (i.e, not being on the Scandinavian Peninsula, in which case you must exclude Denmark, as well as Iceland and the Faroe Islands), or on a cultural basis, as Finnish is a non-"Scandinavian" (Northern Germanic) language (it's Uralic). In that case, you must also exclude Lappish people that live in large parts of Sweden and Norway. 

I've always seen Scandanavia as separate from Finland.  As you pointed out both ethincally and geographically they are different.

Aren't Finnish people ethnically closer to Hungarians than Norwegians and the Swedes?  I have heard many times Hungarian is the only language that is remotely close to Finnish and I believe both originated in Asia (hence Uralic) and were chased out years ago by the Huns and Mongolian hordes.

I've always seen Scandanavia as separate from Finland.  As you pointed out both ethincally and geographically they are different.

Aren't Finnish people ethnically closer to Hungarians than Norwegians and the Swedes?  I have heard many times Hungarian is the only language that is remotely close to Finnish and I believe both originated in Asia (hence Uralic) and were chased out years ago by the Huns and Mongolian hordes.

Right, but if you exclude Finland on either of those bases, you must also exclude other peoples/countries commonly associated with the region. But like I also said, it's all based on worldview and perception.

If you consider language the single most important indicator of ethnicity, which a lot of people do (including me in some cases, and often ethnicity can be unclear and blurred), then yes, the Finns are more closely related to the Hungarians. And there are other Uralic languages throughout northern Eurasia, but Finnish and Hungarian are the two most widely spoken.

Edited by thecoffeecake

As far as the language similarity goes between Finnish and Hungarian, it's roughly on par with the relationship between English and German.  Finnish and Estonian languages are close enough where their speakers can understand each other to an extent. 

http://www.histdoc.net/sounds/hungary.html

As far as the language similarity goes between Finnish and Hungarian, it's roughly on par with the relationship between English and German.  Finnish and Estonian languages are close enough where their speakers can understand each other to an extent. 

That's true too I keep forgetting about Estonia and their close relationship to Finland.

However, I always thought Finnish and Hungarian were a little closer than that.  I guess the only language that is remotely close to Hungarian is Finnish, but not really the other way around.  Interesting to learn about all this lol.

That's interesting, I wasn't aware Estonian was also Uralic.

That's true too I keep forgetting about Estonia and their close relationship to Finland.

However, I always thought Finnish and Hungarian were a little closer than that.  I guess the only language that is remotely close to Hungarian is Finnish, but not really the other way around.  Interesting to learn about all this lol.

Just because they aren't mutually intelligible doesn't mean they aren't closely related. English and German are very similar structurally, but sound very different.

Just because they aren't mutually intelligible doesn't mean they aren't closely related. English and German are very similar structurally, but sound very different.

Oh definitely agree.  I mean I took German for 3 years in HS and 1 year in college lol.  I can still understand most of it but barely speak it these days.

Oh definitely agree.  I mean I took German for 3 years in HS and 1 year in college lol.  I can still understand most of it but barely speak it these days.

Pretty much this along with what thecoffeecake posted.  There's similarities between German and English (certain words are very close), but they're not readily apparent at quick glance, and some of the more similar words are synonyms of more commonly used English words.  But yeah, someone speaking only English and someone speaking only German aren't going to be able to carry on much of a conversation.  The Latin-based languages are a lot easier to cross. 

Pretty much this along with what thecoffeecake posted.  There's similarities between German and English (certain words are very close), but they're not readily apparent at quick glance, and some of the more similar words are synonyms of more commonly used English words.  But yeah, someone speaking only English and someone speaking only German aren't going to be able to carry on much of a conversation.  The Latin-based languages are a lot easier to cross. 

Especially Spanish and Italian, as far as I understand. I haven't studied much of either.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie:

Extent of John Tavares' Olympic-ending knee injury won't be known til MRI/re-evaluation on Thursday but sense out of Sochi is it's not good.

So Zetterberg, Tavares, Zuccarello (I'm sure I'm missing someone else as well)... Who sees the owners and GM's putting their foot down on NHL players participating in the olympics? I think there may be more resistance than ever before.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie:Extent of John Tavares' Olympic-ending knee injury won't be known til MRI/re-evaluation on Thursday but sense out of Sochi is it's not good.So Zetterberg, Tavares, Zuccarello (I'm sure I'm missing someone else as well)... Who sees the owners and GM's putting their foot down on NHL players participating in the olympics? I think there may be more resistance than ever before.

barkov as well I think. Is olympic participation not collectively bargained? I remember at the end of the lockout last year it wasn't completely decided before the season started but I would think it's something the players demanded in the cba. If so, the owners need to determine what if any concessions they need to continue to allow it. Maybe it costs the players an extra cut of the HRR next time around...