Did I just hear Chico correctly?

Devils Pride 26

I didn't say he is the best in the league, but I'd rather be running a Brodeur-Schneider tandem than having Schneider as number one and an AHL goalie backing him up.

13 of 25 giving up 3 or more, they only won 3. Schneider has won zero in that situation. That's more a demonstration of the Devils scoring woes. If a team scores 3, it's almost a certain loss.

The Devils have won FOUR of those 13 Brodeur 3+ starts.  Yes, everyone knows the Devils have trouble scoring...so why would you want a goalie playing who gives up 3+ in half of his starts?

I don't think you realize how bad .901 and .902 save%s are these days.  There's a reason they rank in the bottom quarter of the league.   It's really not that hard for the Devils to improve on that, and there's also no guarantee that Marty can even maintain where he is right now...not at his age, and not with the amount of games he's played.

I didn't say he is the best in the league, but I'd rather be running a Brodeur-Schneider tandem than having Schneider as number one and an AHL goalie backing him up.

13 of 25 giving up 3 or more, they only won 3. Schneider has won zero in that situation. That's more a demonstration of the Devils scoring woes. If a team scores 3, it's almost a certain loss.

Damn right he isn't - his SV% is good for 56th in the league and that's with the PK bumping it up. Even strength, he is 65th out of 79. If that isn't horrible to you then I don't know what. Kinkaid would do a better job.

Edited by Marshall

Double checked the stats, you guys are right. Take him out back and shoot him.

No one is saying that, but you can only ignore this stuff for so long.  Here is the breakdown (goals allowed) in his last 11 games:

5 goals:  twice

4 goals:  twice

3 goals:  three times

2 goals:  once

1 goal:  twice

0 goals:  once

He has a save% less than .880 as well, to go with that.

It was one thing when Option #2 was a struggling Hedberg.  Option #2 is a hell of a lot more appealing this season. 

Personally I think Marty will be willing to come back as a backup. There are very few if any playoff caliber teams that will be willing to give him a starting role next year. I don't think he'd be willing to go to the panthers, and if he gets the same money for a backup role from a Chicago or Detroit I think he would just as rather lock his legacy up and finish here.

I sort of hope he does come back because i think it pushes Cory in a way. If Kinkaid is the backup next year Cory is guaranteed 65 starts no questions asked. If Marty comes back it might keep Cory looking over his shoulder a bit.

Of course the qualifier for this is that the coach gives Cory the games he earns (which hasn't happened so far but looks like it is now).

No one is saying that, but you can only ignore this stuff for so long.  Here is the breakdown (goals allowed) in his last 11 games:

5 goals:  twice

4 goals:  twice

3 goals:  three times

2 goals:  once

1 goal:  twice

0 goals:  once

He has a save% less than .880 as well, to go with that.

It was one thing when Option #2 was a struggling Hedberg.  Option #2 is a hell of a lot more appealing this season.

Can I please pull the trigger?? Please

Marty understands only one thing he feels he is the best, it's his ego always has been.

To be as successful as Marty has been, you have to believe you are the best. Any athlete who is or was at the top of his position in any sport does. It's those same qualities that get a player to the top level that make it hard for them to give up their spot. Guys like Jordan and Favre had the same issue.

When you've been one of the best at something nearly your entire life, it's not just flipping a switch to "ok I'm done now".

• Like 1

To be as successful as Marty has been, you have to believe you are the best. Any athlete who is or was at the top of his position in any sport does. It's those same qualities that get a player to the top level that make it hard for them to give up their spot. Guys like Jordan and Favre had the same issue.

When you've been one of the best at something nearly your entire life, it's not just flipping a switch to "ok I'm done now".

There have been quite a bit of athletes who have decided to step away without letting ego get in the way . Sandy Koufax being a good example.

BTW, I didn't see anything on NHL.com about him being unhappy.

Notice he didn't post a link to it. 

100% true, and unfortunately that's when the organization has to make the tough call that the player can't or won't.  Marty coming back next season shouldn't even be on the table.  My only issue with the nhl.com article that LD seems to be referencing (but not linking) is that Marty seems to think it's up to him whether or not he plays next year for the Devils.  Rangers made the mistake of not telling Messier it was time.  Devils will have done the same thing is Marty is back next year.     

There have been quite a bit of athletes who have decided to step away without letting ego get in the way . Sandy Koufax being a good example.

Terrible example.  Koufax pitched through excruciating pain during his final season.  It was a miracle he not only pitched that final year, but pitched so damned well. 

But yeah, there have been guys who got out before it ever got embarrassing or ugly for them.  John Elway left the game and went out on top...had one of his finest seasons in his final year. 

Okay guys. I can vouch for what LD said. When he said it I checked that moment and their was a article on it but now their is no longer a article for it but I can vouch and say I did see what he was talking about.

I know there was an article...I read it.  Wasn't at all like LD made it sound (which is why he didn't post a link).

I never said it did man. Just saying that there was an article. Only thing that bothers me is" his heart says stay in the NHL" I want him to pull a Patty or Dano. Devils from day one to the end. I feel that's what we all want.

That quote doesn't scream "upset" to me. But whatever.

I never said it did man. Just saying that there was an article. Only thing that bothers me is" his heart says stay in the NHL" I want him to pull a Patty or Dano. Devils from day one to the end. I feel that's what we all want.

i could never imagine him playing in a different jersey