The Green Jacket

Vic Rattlehead18

That era is already here. http://hockeyjobs.nhl.com/teamwork/jobs/jobs.cfm/Hockey-Operations?supcat=218

The New Jersey Devils are looking for someone with the passion, intelligence and experience to lead its hockey analytics group.  The position reports directly to the President and General Manager, Lou Lamoriello.  Interested applicants should have a deep understanding of both hockey and advanced data-centric techniques to analyze games, players, and rosters. Experience on/around the ice is a plus while a deep passion for NHL hockey is required. Experience in statistics, data science, econometrics, computer science, or other data-driven fields is a must.  The position will office in the Prudential Center in Newark.

Not the first team to use analytics, but AFAIK they're the first to advertise the position.

That era is already here. http://hockeyjobs.nhl.com/teamwork/jobs/jobs.cfm/Hockey-Operations?supcat=218

Not the first team to use analytics, but AFAIK they're the first to advertise the position.

That does not mean a new era is underway in terms of what I was referring to anyway....

This has no bearing on the "Lou attitude/view of the team" conversation.

Funny you guys should bring this up, because I was thinking about this this morning (and have at other times).  No one can ever argue Lou's track record...some will, because some can't accept that successful runs don't last forever, that downturns are almost unavoidable, and that even the best GMs don't see all of their moves work out or pay off as expected.  But Lou's had one hell of a career.  He'll go down as one of the best GMs in any sport, ever.

But yeah, I think when he retires, it will be a breath of fresh air for a lot of people within the Devils' organization.  I've always maintained that, for many players, being a Devil isn't necessarily fun, and that the organization, for better and for worse, seems to take on a lot of Lou's personality traits (VBK's more fan-friendly, one-of-us approach seemed to make the franchise "warmer" in a way it hadn't been previously).  It takes a certain breed to play here.  And I don't think Lou will be ever be one to take the Tom Coughlin route, and adapt or change any part of who he is...he's as set in his ways as it gets.  When he does ultimately call it a career, I don't necessarily think it's going to be Armageddon.       

Lou runs a very tight, and I am sure it can be annoying for some (curfews, home game hotels, 1 million other things we don't know about it (I heard he doesédid rounds on the buses to see who`s been drinking)), but I don`t think it has been that bad for the players. I know that many free agents have had their doubts about the organization, but very few have been unable to handle it, and we haven`t heard many former players really criticize it publicly). That may have something to do with the Devils usually having a mature/veteran team or that there aren't that many headcases in the NHL.

But at the same time, Lou does everything to protect the players. He treats them well and makes sure that all they focus on is hockey. He isn't looking for community ambassadors or allowing film crews around. When the Devils need a representative somewhere they send Daneyko, Driver, Marshall, etc. As a player, you go to the rink, you practice/play and go home. Many other teams push their players to do a lot more than that. And they start to enjoy it. 

I think when Lou leaves, it will be a breath of fresh air for the marketing department and the fans. Get rid of "not the name on the back" approach. Let the fans know who these players are. We don't know a single thing about anyone, really, if it wasn't for TG giving us some tidbits here and there. Who are the comedians? Let their personalities show. Let the fans iin, because many players probably would want to. This is the kind of stuff that so many other teams do, and it really works. Suddenly, guys like Ryan Carter and Mark Fayne are more than hockey players to you. It isn't for everyone, but it's for most people (especially a younger group) it is.

Edited by devilsrule33

That does not mean a new era is underway in terms of what I was referring to anyway....

This has no bearing on the "Lou attitude/view of the team" conversation.

You're right about that. But it tells me a lot about his attitude towards knowledge, learning and improvement. I think this, coupled with the fact that we have a new owner trying to put butts in seats and not doing the same old, faceless team-thing...the times are changing.

Lou runs a very tight, and I am sure it can be annoying for some (curfews, home game hotels, 1 million other things we don't know about it (I heard he doesédid rounds on the buses to see who`s been drinking)), but I don`t think it has been that bad for the players. I know that many free agents have had their doubts about the organization, but very few have been unable to handle it, and we haven`t heard many former players really criticize it publicly). That may have something to do with the Devils usually having a mature/veteran team or that there aren't that many headcases in the NHL.

But at the same time, Lou does everything to protect the players. He treats them well and makes sure that all they focus on is hockey. He isn't looking for community ambassadors or allowing film crews around. When the Devils need a representative somewhere they send Daneyko, Driver, Marshall, etc. As a player, you go to the rink, you practice/play and go home. Many other teams push their players to do a lot more than that. And they start to enjoy it. 

I think when Lou leaves, it will be a breath of fresh air for the marketing department and the fans. Get rid of "not the name on the back" approach. Let the fans know who these players are. We don't know a single thing about these players, if it wasn't for TG giving us some tidbits here and there. Who are the comedians? Let their personalities show. Let the fans get to know them a bit. This is the kind of stuff that so many other teams do, and it really works. Suddenly, guys like Ryan Carter and Mark Fayne are more than hockey players to you. It isn't for everyone, but it's for most people (especially a younger group) it is.

Great post.

Those little things DO go a far way.  They are extremely beneficial to all professional sports teams.  A team trying to build a loyal fan base/Season Ticket Holder base could really use things like this.  This generation is all about reality TV/all access/social media etc.  All of these things do not exist within the New Jersey Devils organization.

You're right about that. But it tells me a lot about his attitude towards knowledge, learning and improvement. I think this, coupled with the fact that we have a new owner trying to put butts in seats and not doing the same old, faceless team-thing...the times are changing.

Maybe changing, but not in the way we were talking about.  He is willing to embrace change in terms of a statistician on staff; but he is not about to go ditch his "team is over everyone" and "only the crest on the jersey matters" mantra.  A Devils employee told me that a few seasons ago they had a mockup Kovalchuk bobblehead made for a giveaway.  Lou saw it and crushed the promotion entirely.  Little things like this are frustrating as a fan.  When he is gone we will definitely see some player promotion/marketing.  Hopefully we have some players worth putting on billboards then....

Maybe changing, but not in the way we were talking about.  He is willing to embrace change in terms of a statistician on staff; but he is not about to go ditch his "team is over everyone" and "only the crest on the jersey matters" mantra.  A Devils employee told me that a few seasons ago they had a mockup Kovalchuk bobblehead made for a giveaway.  Lou saw it and crushed the promotion entirely.  Little things like this are frustrating as a fan.  When he is gone we will definitely see some player promotion/marketing.  Hopefully we have some players worth putting on billboards then....

Be careful what you wish for. There are lot's of GM's that can approve bobble heads and have promotions, but that doesn't mean they can necessarily put a good hockey team together. While I agree the team needs to step into the 21st century marketing-wise, I also hope that whoever comes in has half the passion and hockey knowledge that Lou does.

Be careful what you wish for. There are lot's of GM's that can approve bobble heads and have promotions, but that doesn't mean they can necessarily put a good hockey team together. While I agree the team needs to step into the 21st century marketing-wise, I also hope that whoever comes in has half the passion and hockey knowledge that Lou does.

Absolutely

On ice product is first and foremost.   Without constructing a winning team; the rest of that stuff doesn't mean a damn thing.

So in a few years maybe we'll see beards during the season, see players actually interacting with fans, be able to see practices and training camps and players won't be left in the dark all season about contract talks. Good times ahead.

I almost wish Chris Lamoriello shows up, is a copy of his dad and squashes your hopes.

• Like 1

So in a few years maybe we'll see beards during the season, see players actually interacting with fans, be able to see practices and training camps and players won't be left in the dark all season about contract talks. Good times ahead.

I like the no facial hair thing, it's makes them appear more professional. I would like practices to, at least occasionally, be open to the public though. Training camp would being open would be cool too.

I like the no facial hair thing, it's makes them appear more professional. I would like practices to, at least occasionally, be open to the public though. Training camp would being open would be cool too.

i would like to be able to go check out a practice... even if its not something that they do all the time.. if they sold some type of ticket to go and see a practice here and there they would even make some extra cash on it.. just something small like 5 or 10bucks to go check out a practice would be a cool thing

There really isn't any reason to keep practices closed anymore.  When asked about it previously, the team used the excuse that they couldn't allow the public into the practice facility because of issues with the public possibly entering the Rock.  With the new owners saying they would do whatever is necessary to enhance the fan's experience, there is no reason they can't hire a security guard or 2 to keep people from wandering into the main arena.  I don't think every practice needs to be open to the public, but a few every month would be nice.  I loved going to South Mountain and getting autographs after practice as a kid.

Funny how Lou drops the facial hair ban come playoff time. What happens to being "professional" then?

Funny how Lou drops the facial hair ban come playoff time. What happens to being "professional" then?

That's exchanging one tradition for another. Playoff beards are a great tradition, and theres no way Lou could step in and stop it. That Daneyko beard with the cup and no teeth is iconic to Devils history.