Very fluky goal in LAK vs DET game.

Mike Brown

Fluky? Fluky is euphamistic, this goal was illegal. Blatantly illegal. NHL refs are really bad, the worst in any sport I'd have to say.

even the refs last night were actually down right horrible.. first we get called for too many men when we shouldnt have..then we have too many men and we dont get called.. a player was laying on the puck in the crease which should have resulted in a penalty shot we dont get it..henrique gets clearly high sticked clearly and no call gets made.. i bet if people start losing their jobs or however they handle it someone will start making better calls.. we got screwed atleast 3 times last night

It's a stupid rule. But according to it, it played out right.

Under Rule 85.1: "However, if the puck striking the spectator netting goes unnoticed by the on-ice officials, play shall continue as normal and resulting play with the puck shall be deemed a legitimate play. Players must not stop playing the game until they hear the whistle to do so."

Edited by CarterforPresident

The puck was out of play and wasn't called, did you watch the video?

I did watch the video.  And I know it hit the safety netting.  But the fluky part is that it hit Quick in the back and rolled in the net.

It's a stupid rule. But according to it, it played out right.

Under Rule 85.1: "However, if the puck striking the spectator netting goes unnoticed by the on-ice officials, play shall continue as normal and resulting play with the puck shall be deemed a legitimate play. Players must not stop playing the game until they hear the whistle to do so."

Yea this rule is strange to me.  I've seen it happen though where the puck hits the netting and nobody blows a whistle.

Fluky? Fluky is euphamistic, this goal was illegal. Blatantly illegal. NHL refs are really bad, the worst in any sport I'd have to say.

Hockey is also a more difficult sport to officiate.  Missed calls happen, but the NHL refs are the best at what they do.  There will always be missed calls, there's no way to improve the officiating, but in my opinion everything should be reviewable to make sure that missed calls can be corrected so that the outcomes of games are closer to being 100% based on what the players did and closer to 0% based on what a few people watching with the action quickly happening around them thought they saw.  If this play was reviewable, it's a non-issue.  Can you imagine the embarrassment that would ensue if this was an overtime goal in the Stanley Cup Finals?  Everything should be reviewable.

I remember a play in the 2009 Frozen Four when a puck was shot out of play with just a few seconds left in the third and the original call was that it went off a forechecker so the faceoff was out of the zone.  They weren't sure, so they were able to review it.  The ref himself went into the scorer's box to watch the video, no phone calls to upstairs, no calls to Toronto, just the referee himself quickly goes in, watches the video, and makes sure he gets the right call.  Turns out it was shot straight out, so they corrected it and had the faceoff in the defensive zone, and the attacking team scores right off the faceoff.  That goal either tied it and they won in overtime, or that might have been the winning goal, but either way, the right team won because they were able to make sure the right call was made.

• Like 1

Every goal is reviewed though?

The puck going out of play before a goal being scored isn't one of the things they can check for though.  Here's what the rulebook says is reviewable:

38.4 Situations Subject to Video Review - The following situations are subject to review by the Video Goal Judge:

(i)  Puck crossing the goal line.

(ii)  Puck in the net prior to the goal frame being dislodged.

(iii)  Puck in the net prior to, or after expiration of time at the end of the period.

(iv)  Puck directed or batted into the net by a hand or foot. With the use of a foot/skate, was a distinct kicking motion evident? If so, the apparent goal must be disallowed. A DISTINCT KICKING MOTION is one which, with a pendulum motion, the player propels the puck with his skate into the net. If the Video Goal Judge determines that it was put into the net by an attacking player using a distinct kicking motion, it must be ruled NO GOAL. This would also be true even if the puck, after being kicked, deflects off any other player of either team and then into the net. This is still NO GOAL. See also 49.2.

(v)  Puck deflected directly into the net off an Official.

(vi)  Puck struck with a high-stick, above the height of the crossbar, by an attacking player prior to entering the goal. The determining factor is where the puck makes contact with the stick. If the puck makes contact with the stick below the level of the crossbar and enters the goal, this goal shall be allowed.

(vii)  To establish the correct time on the official game clock, provided the game time is visible on the Video Goal Judge’s monitors.

(viii)  The video review process shall be permitted to assist the referees in determining the legitimacy of all potential goals (e.g. to ensure they are “good hockey goals”).  For example (but not limited to), pucks that enter the net by going through the net meshing, pucks that enter the net from underneath the net frame, pucks that enter the net undetected by the referee, etc.

LoL. One one the things I really like about the NHL is the (generally) great officiating. You should watch some other sports/leagues every now and then to get a better point of reference. :)

LoL. One one the things I really like about the NHL is the (generally) great officiating. You should watch some other sports/leagues every now and then to get a better point of reference. :)

I watch the NHL, NFL and MLB. The magnitude of calls missed is bigger in say the NFL and MLB, but for frequency of missed calls, I think the NHL takes the cake.

We don't need to copy the NFL, that's a silly gimmick. How about all goals for any reason are review-able, not like it would slow the ga,e down more then it is already. Ref discretion is fine for calls that should be subject to discretion, not goals which are much more boolean.

I watch the NHL, NFL and MLB. The magnitude of calls missed is bigger in say the NFL and MLB, but for frequency of missed calls, I think the NHL takes the cake.

Yeah well look at how much more difficult a job it is to officiate hockey compared to football and baseball.

I am on board with a coach's challenge system as well as letting the officials review a play whenever they feel like they need to double-check something.  Also, I don't understand why we need video goal judges and calls to Toronto.  Just let the ref or linesman himself take a look at the replay in the scorer's box.

Yeah well look at how much more difficult a job it is to officiate hockey compared to football and baseball.

I am on board with a coach's challenge system as well as letting the officials review a play whenever they feel like they need to double-check something.  Also, I don't understand why we need video goal judges and calls to Toronto.  Just let the ref or linesman himself take a look at the replay in the scorer's box.

It doesn't work that well in football either....in fact the NFL is looking towards the NHL's "War Room" model to set up replays in the same style