Reid Boucher Back to Albany

msweet

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/devils_return_reid_boucher_to_albany/

The Devils have assigned rookie left wing Reid Boucher to Albany of the AHL. Boucher, 20, had two goals and five assists in 23 NHL games since being called up on Dec. 4. He picked up an assist on Jaromir Jagr’s goal in Tuesday’s 7-1 win over St. Louis. - See more at: http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/devils_return_reid_boucher_to_albany/#sthash.1cNDevQ8.dpuf

I wanted him down but he just played a pretty good game so it is upsetting but, this is not a move indicating a trade is on the way. I read on ILWT that the deadline to send them down to Albany so they can play during the break is Friday at 5pm. Which is before our cap game obviously, so my guess is there is probably an Albany game coming up which would allow him to get more game time by going down now.

Well that really messes the lines up, Zubrus to top line, Bernier to 2nd line and Gionta to wing.

I'm not convinced this is what this means.  They need to get Harrold off IR - they could do that, waive him tomorrow, and assign him to the AHL, then Boucher comes back.  As I noted in the other thread, Boucher has played plenty this year, so I'm not sure he will end up in Albany over the Olympic break.

It would be odd to do this without a corresponding move.  The other move would be Larsson back to the NHL, which they're already saying they're not doing.

Edited by Triumph

Forgot to quote...

They would be silly to go with 8 defensmen at the moment. I  doubt DeBoer wants Boucher out of the lineup as well, I would tend to think Boucher is back for Fridays game, especially coming off a massive win and an upcoming game against Washington. Something should happen by then.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

A rule in the collective bargaining agreement, outlined in a memo to all 30 NHL clubs before this season began, holds that all players, waiver-exempt or not, who play in at least 16 of the last 20 games before the Olympic break cannot be assigned to the AHL during the break.

May be why RB went to Albany

Whatever the reason, I have no problem with this move. IMO he still has a lot of developing to do, and while he's done fairly well, and is better than most of his replacements, he may develop more in the AHL. If they do call him back up quickly, he's played well enough as well. Right now, Reid's really in a no lose position.

Whatever the reason, I have no problem with this move. IMO he still has a lot of developing to do, and while he's done fairly well, and is better than most of his replacements, he may develop more in the AHL. If they do call him back up quickly, he's played well enough as well. Right now, Reid's really in a no lose position.

I agree.  I was surprised by his defense to be honest.

A rule in the collective bargaining agreement, outlined in a memo to all 30 NHL clubs before this season began, holds that all players, waiver-exempt or not, who play in at least 16 of the last 20 games before the Olympic break cannot be assigned to the AHL during the break.

May be why RB went to Albany

reid has played in all 20 of the last 20 games, so he would need to sit out after the dallas game jan 30.  he will likely be back for wash and the rags.  then maybe not road trip him west

Edited by EdgeControl

He has had a lot of energy but he hasn't exactly exploded offensively. Two goals, and one of them was just a lucky puck hitting him. I don't think they needed to drop him back to Albany, but I am certainly not shocked or upset. I've seen enough to know that if he is cultivated properly, he could be a great player. But he's not yet. 

Lou claims it has nothing to do with it.

if this has nothing to do with it then the move makes no sense. To send Boucher down after a solid game and him just starting to click with jagr only to replace him with a player with 0 nhl games is not a good move unless there are other factors involved.

This is Lou we're talking about, there are always ulterior motives and secondary reasons.