GDT 01/24/14: Capitals at Devils

Mike Brown

3 more great plays by gio. And im kinda happy a 4th line player creates over 15 breakaways halfway through the year

Someone else springing him isn't really him creating a break away. Although he did have 2 really good plays tonight. If gio saw 6-8min a game and wasn't on the PK I'm sure no one would have any problem with him. The problem is PDB likes to try give him like 15 min a night and uses him on the PK where he is clearly at a huge disadvantage with that tiny reach.  

Also cory is fvcking good, such a joke that he hasn't had the majority of starts this year.

Edited by Sneax

Someone else springing him isn't really him creating a break away. Although he did have 2 really good plays tonight. If gio saw 6-8min a game and wasn't on the PK I'm sure no one would have any problem with him. The problem is PDB likes to try give him like 15 min a night and uses him on the PK where he is clearly at a huge disadvantage with that tiny reach.

Also cory is fvcking good, such a joke that he hasn't had the majority of starts this year.

I dont have the energy to disagree with everything you just said, but I do. The coach gives ice time to people who deserve it, he knows who deserves it much better than bartholomew hunt and sneax the two dorks on an internet forum. Thats why hes an nhl head coach. Gionta is a good 4th line player. These are the facts

I dont have the energy to disagree with everything you just said, but I do. The coach gives ice time to people who deserve it, he knows who deserves it much better than bartholomew hunt and sneax the two dorks on an internet forum. Thats why hes an nhl head coach. Gionta is a good 4th line player. These are the facts

The same coach that has been playing broduer over cory to the determinant of the team? Or the same PDB that played Mouse like 8 games straight in a stretch where he was playing some atrocious goal goalie? Or the same coach that likes to have fayne ride the pine for long stretches of time for peter harrold?

PDB is terrible at managing his players. He values 110%effort over guys that have the skill to make the difference, sometimes effort alone isn't enough. And it is no surprise that this team has struggled in times where gionta and the 4th line have played more than they should be. PDB makes a lot of terrible personnel decisions.

Gionta is a pretty good 4th line player, but that's how he should be used.

The same coach that has been playing broduer over cory to the determinant of the team? Or the same PDB that played Mouse like 8 games straight in a stretch where he was playing some atrocious goal goalie? Or the same coach that likes to have fayne ride the pine for long stretches of time for peter harrold?

PDB is terrible at managing his players. He values 110%effort over guys that have the skill to make the difference, sometimes effort alone isn't enough. And it is no surprise that this team has struggled in times where gionta and the 4th line have played more than they should be. PDB makes a lot of terrible personnel decisions.

Yes the same PDB that took a lottery team to the scf in his first year........................

I agree schneider should get the majority of time but the hate for marty on this forum is retarded, he hasnt been nearly as bad as this website makes him out to be. The same people saying marty should retire as soon as possible are probably the same dopes that decided to start a "corys better chant" on tuesday. You have the greatest goalie of all time and you disrespect him in his own building with a chant that was created for him. I was embarassed when I heard that the other day. Ive heard some dumb stuff come out of devs fans mouths at games but that took the cake. Just goes to show the immaturity of our fan base, and devils fans wonder why they get 0 respect.

And you think its an easy situation to just sit martin brodeur?

Fayne is a mediocre 3rd pairing defenseman, stop acting like hes brian rafalski. Theres a reason pdb has kept his job for this long.

Edited by Bartholomew Hunt

Salvador with a good job cleaning up on the pk... But nobody will mention that they will wait till his next mistake and just say he sucks.

so he makes one good play that all defensemen should make? Really you think that was a special play by Salvador that warrants his continued ice time? Every defensemen on our roster should be capable of doing that, meanwhile I saw him blindly throw a puck in his own zone onto a cap stick which led to them having like 1min+ of sustained pressure, a few minutes before the AMAZING clear. His gaffs far outweigh his "plays"

The same coach that has been playing broduer over cory to the determinant of the team? Or the same PDB that played Mouse like 8 games straight in a stretch where he was playing some atrocious goal goalie? Or the same coach that likes to have fayne ride the pine for long stretches of time for peter harrold?

PDB is terrible at managing his players. He values 110%effort over guys that have the skill to make the difference, sometimes effort alone isn't enough. And it is no surprise that this team has struggled in times where gionta and the 4th line have played more than they should be. PDB makes a lot of terrible personnel decisions.

Marty was winning, Cory wasn't. Now that it's flipped guess what- Cory is getting the starts. Moose was our only hope during that stretch. Kinkaid was not ready to handle legit starts, one save against a weak stamkos shot doesn't change that.

Pete is not terrible at a managing players- he wants to put the best team on the ice, and sometimes that doesn't equate to the most skilled or youngest or prettiest team.

Gionta is used as a 4th line player, he has the lowest average 5v5 toi of any regular forward this season. I don't know what games you are watching that you see otherwise.

Yes the same PDB that took a lottery team to the scf in his first year........................

I agree schneider should get the majority of time but the hate for marty on this forum is retarded, he hasnt been nearly as bad as this website makes him out to be. The same people saying marty should retire as soon as possible are probably the same dopes that decided to start a "corys better chant" on tuesday. You have the greatest goalie of all time and you disrespect him in his own building with a chant that was created for him. I was embarassed when I heard that the other day. Ive heard some dumb stuff come out of devs fans mouths at games but that took the cake. Just goes to show the immaturity of our fan base, and devils fans wonder why they get 0 respect.

And you think its an easy situation to just sit martin brodeur?

Fayne is a mediocre 3rd pairing defenseman, stop acting like hes brian rafalski. Theres a reason pdb has kept his job for this long.

You seem to think that just because PDB took us to the SCF that hes good with personnel? He has a good system, one that worked exceptionally well when no one knew much about it. Marty has cost this team 6-8 points, off the top of my head. That is the difference between play offs and not right now.

And yes at his age and the way corey has played outside of like 2 games this season, it is an easy decision to play him over Marty.

Peter harrold has no business playing night in and night out, and Fayne was a top 4 guy for us in your precious 2012-2013 season where the GOD like PDB took us from rags to riches. And fayne has also played extremely well this year once he has gotten into a rhythm, which can be hard when your always a scratch for scrubs like peter harrold.

The reason PDB has kept his job is he motivates his players to play and has a pretty good system. But keep believing that he is without his flaws.

• Like 1

Marty was winning, Cory wasn't. Now that it's flipped guess what- Cory is getting the starts. Moose was our only hope during that stretch. Kinkaid was not ready to handle legit starts, one save against a weak stamkos shot doesn't change that.

Pete is not terrible at a managing players- he wants to put the best team on the ice, and sometimes that doesn't equate to the most skilled or youngest or prettiest team.

Gionta is used as a 4th line player, he has the lowest average 5v5 toi of any regular forward this season. I don't know what games you are watching that you see otherwise.

Our only hope? Kinkaid in the brief amount he played was at least stopping pucks, puck were flying through moose. He was clearly not the best bet, he was struggling mightly and pete went back to him every night in spots marty in his prime wouldn't be playing. You don't even make a valid argument, you just blindly believe that PDB was right.

I'm watching the games where gionta is out there in overtime.

Pete is horrible at managing players, just because he wants to put the best team on the ice doesn't mean he does.

• Like 1

Our only hope? Kinkaid in the brief amount he played was at least stopping pucks, puck were flying through moose. He was clearly not the best bet, he was struggling mightly and pete went back to him every night in spots marty in his prime wouldn't be playing. You don't even make a valid argument, you just blindly believe that PDB was right.

I'm watching the games where gionta is out there in overtime.

Pete is horrible at managing players, just because he wants to put the best team on the ice doesn't mean he does.

lol it seems you only deal in absolutes- I say Salvador makes a nice play and you interpret it to mean Salvador is amazing. Bartholomew and I argue that Pete isn't horrible at player management like you say he is, and you interpret that as us thinking he is a god.

You're perception bias of other posts is almost as bad as your perception bias of players like gionta and Salvador. But we can agree to disagree, just try not to twist words.

lol it seems you only deal in absolutes- I say Salvador makes a nice play and you interpret it to mean Salvador is amazing. Bartholomew and I argue that Pete isn't horrible at player management like you say he is, and you interpret that as us thinking he is a god.

You're perception bias of other posts is almost as bad as your perception bias of players like gionta and Salvador. But we can agree to disagree, just try not to twist words.

No, you continuously point out those type of plays (that Salvador makes)as a means to say that he doesn't deserve the bad rap that everyone gives him (Only happens once every few games for obvious reasons, mainly Salvador doenst do much right). It's not like you made a one off statement like great play by Salvador there, it was rooted in your constant agenda about how he isn't that bad.

Also my emphasis on words like , amazing are to allude to sarcasm. I don't believe you think Salvador is amazing, I do however, think you think he's good when he's barley serviceable.

Edited by Sneax

No, you continuously point out those type of plays (that Salvador makes)as a means to say that he doesn't deserve the bad rap that everyone gives him (Only happens once every few games for obvious reasons, mainly Salvador doenst do much right). It's not like you made a one off statement like great play by Salvador there, it was rooted in your constant agenda about how he isn't that bad.

Also my emphasis on words like , amazing are to allude to sarcasm. I don't believe you think Salvador is amazing, I do however, think you think he's good when he's barley serviceable.

ok I just disagree, I don't go into a game looking for plays to justify Salvador's play (I honestly can't recall pointing anything out in a gdt before), but the way many talk on here makes it seem like they look out for every mistake, similar to how you point out that deboer used gionta twice in overtime this season and therefore uses gionta as more than a 4th liner. The truth is that's not the case, but because you look for it and it happens a handful of times you believe it to be true.

I think Salvador is a below average nhl defenseman and at best a third paring guy. I don't know where the info can be found but I think he's been used as just that since coming back and us using 6d. I do not think he is as bad as most on here make him out to be.

Edited by dmann422

Great job by Cory.  Numbers from his last seven games (.960 save%, 1.11 GAA) are only going to improve after tonight. 

God I wish Zajac could finish his scoring chances.

Great job by Cory.  Numbers from his last seven games (.960 save%, 1.11 GAA) are only going to improve after tonight. 

God I wish Zajac could finish his scoring chances.

you know your goalie is good when the only thing he's letting in is deflections :D, stats like those paint the picture as well though!

• Like 1

You seem to think that just because PDB took us to the SCF that hes good with personnel? He has a good system, one that worked exceptionally well when no one knew much about it. Marty has cost this team 6-8 points, off the top of my head. That is the difference between play offs and not right now.

And yes at his age and the way corey has played outside of like 2 games this season, it is an easy decision to play him over Marty.

Peter harrold has no business playing night in and night out, and Fayne was a top 4 guy for us in your precious 2012-2013 season where the GOD like PDB took us from rags to riches. And fayne has also played extremely well this year once he has gotten into a rhythm, which can be hard when your always a scratch for scrubs like peter harrold.

The reason PDB has kept his job is he motivates his players to play and has a pretty good system. But keep believing that he is without his flaws.

God this is bad. Okay so since you have those 6-8 points on the top of your head, name every single point right now. And how is it 6 to 8? If your so positive about those points wouldnt it be a definite amount, not an approximation? Lol are you sure about those 5 minutes, ARE YOU SURE ABOUT THOSE 5 MINUTES.

And by all means necessary ignore the games marty has won for us by standing on his head. You know any knowledgeable fan would APPRECIATE being able to see this legendary player every single game he has left, yet you cant seem to get him out of here quick enough. What an immature, unappreciative view you have on THE most important player in this teams history. Are you one of those people who became a fan when we got kovy or when we went to the scf? Not being a smartass im serious, because you have the mindset of one of those fans.

Again if you think if its easy to just sit martin brodeur then youre naive and clueless dude. Going into the season you should have known this is what it was going to be.

Mark fayne is MEDIOCRE. He was mediocre in 2012, hes the same now. He hasnt made the next step to a shutdown guy, he still makes dumb reads, dumb passes, but he makes up for it with very good plays sometimes. Thats an average defenseman. Harrold does the same thing but makes a few more mistakes defensively but brings much much more offensively.

I never said pdb was godlike, Im pointing out that him playing brodeur and gionta doesnt make him a worse coach. Hes done a great job of coaching this team since he toom over 3 years ago.

Great game by Schneider and decent game from the forwards.  Still, the defense has a couple issues - they should not be giving up this many shots to an Ovechkinless Capitals team even with the lead for most of the game.  And Salvador-Volchenkov should never close out a game - that's utter insanity.

Whitney did absolutely nothing right tonight, I wouldn't be shocked if he went right back down, and if he plays like this again on Sunday I'll be shocked if he is still here.

Edited by Triumph