GDT: NJ Devils vs. NY Rangers - 12:30pm on NBC - Stadium Series Editio

Colin226

Vigneault's adjustments during the first break and then the second, good coaching...

That's the thing that bothered me the most about the game, not backing off and making it difficult after the 3-1 lead.   It's as if they were in a feeding frenzy trying to destroy the Rangers and it backfired horrifically

An 'embarrassing organization'? Are you on paint thinner? My God, the overreaction is ridiculous...

Yeah even I agree that's harsh. I think the organization is however flying without a clear idea of where it's going and what they can do and want to do. Deboer and Brodeur and Lou are a big part of this. We need to clean up and chart a course.

Another failure by the HC and Marty. Just terrible. You can't be a playoff team when you can't hold leads and don't play more than 25 to 30 minutes of quality hockey.

Hopefully we sell after the Olympic break. But we won't and we will realize its a mistake only afterwards.

Yea let's sell when we have no first round pick and we still have a shot at the playoffs.  That would be a bad move.

calling us an embarrassing as an organization is ridiculous. This is one of the best franchises historically in all of sports.

Yea let's sell when we have no first round pick and we still have a shot at the playoffs.  That would be a bad move.

if we sold we might have a 1st round pick!

That's the thing that bothered me the most about the game, not backing off and making it difficult after the 3-1 lead. It's as if they were in a feeding frenzy trying to destroy the Rangers and it backfired horrifically

Seemed to me more like they quit after Marty's softy made it 3-2. If they had more than one quality chance in the second period Id be stunned. No excuse for that Mickey Mouse effort.

Seemed to me more like they quit after Marty's softy made it 3-2. If they had more than one quality chance in the second period Id be stunned. No excuse for that Mickey Mouse effort.

No, they were pretty aggressive in the first and made some good plays and finished, so they weren't played back at much.   But when I envisioned Devils and outdoor game, I was thinking of bad ice and a halfcourt slog, that was not at all what this game was.   They kind of lost their collective minds.   That goal where Greene tried to enter up the middle was their game in a nutshell.

No, they were pretty aggressive in the first and made some good plays and finished, so they weren't played back at much.   But when I envisioned Devils and outdoor game, I was thinking of bad ice and a halfcourt slog, that was not at all what this game was.   They kind of lost their collective minds.   That goal where Greene tried to enter up the middle was their game in a nutshell.

when you are so far behind you have to try force plays to get back into the game. The devils are good when we are in the lead and force teams to play our game, we are terrible when we have to play someone elses.

No, they were pretty aggressive in the first and made some good plays and finished, so they weren't played back at much. But when I envisioned Devils and outdoor game, I was thinking of bad ice and a halfcourt slog, that was not at all what this game was. They kind of lost their collective minds. That goal where Greene tried to enter up the middle was their game in a nutshell.

In the first yeah, but not after that. And if they were pinching too much it's partly cause this goalie can no longer stop a beach ball and they know they have to score 4+ to win.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Yeah even I agree that's harsh. I think the organization is however flying without a clear idea of where it's going and what they can do and want to do. Deboer and Brodeur and Lou are a big part of this. We need to clean up and chart a course.

They want to make the playoffs this year.  This was the first real bad game they've had in a while.  I know this loss sucks, but let's not overreact and call this team done.  I still believe they're only one good top 6 forward away from being a legit playoff threat.  You can disagree with me there if you want.  But one thing you can't disagree with is facts.  We're one point out of playoff position.

In the first yeah, but not after that. And if they were pinching too much it's partly cause this goalie can no longer stop a beach ball and they know they have to score 4+ to win.

If you're pinching on a fast track and can't skate, how is that helping the goalie?   He didn't play well, but it was a swarm of 3 on 1s... and they had a lead.   It was just really really poor strategy.   Should have just backed off and made it difficult for them to get speed.   They didn't, if anything, they made it easy for them to get speed

when you are so far behind you have to try force plays to get back into the game. The devils are good when we are in the lead and force teams to play our game, we are terrible when we have to play someone elses.

They were doing this when they were winning and it was tied!   lol.

First, I'm sure glad I didn't pay those ridicules prices to see this game. Also, funny how people want to scream about how bad we are...were you screaming when we were up 3-2? I put a significant portion of blame on the coaching staff. I love Marty, but to leave him in as long as we did, was bad coaching.

For those ripping Lou, let me remind you that this past off season, and probably last one too, Lou was hamstrung by the ownership situation. He was clearly limited in what he could commit to based on the fact the team was for sale. In hindsight, I'll bet the whole Kovalchuck situation was the result of the Devs finances. It's ridicules to start screaming about Lou.

To absolve Lou Lamoriello of anything that is currently befalling this team is ridiculous in and of itself. Lou hasn't been Lou in a long time and if people want to use the finances as an excuse....well if that makes you sleep at night......

It was a bad game. Marty was terrible, and the D was bad. The d has played well recently, but played stupid trying to do too much. If they get back to basics and bench Sal or Volch for one of the kids, that gets easier. Also, Marty has to save some of those breakaways. Almost every hockey games have runs for each team. A good goalie keeps his team in the game during bad runs. Marty did the opposite today. I love him, and wanted him to step it up today (and thought he would), but it didn't happen. They need to ride Cory as hard as they can for the rest of the season. They're still in this thing. Long term, I think they're okay. They have a legit goalie, a core of young d, and a couple bad contracts going away. They need forwards, and this draft would have helped, but forwards are easier to get than d. 

Carp, what specifically did the media say that made it seem like they ignored the Devils successes?

From what I've seen time and time again, at least as of late, the Devils are ignored by the NHL and hockey media. The lead up to this game was about 94 and tons of former Rags were interviewed. As was pointed out a few pages back, this just became a Rags broadcast.

Look at it this way: If we were say second in the division right now and the Rags were dead last, the spotlight would still be on them and 94 not on us and Marty, 3 cups, lou or game 6 in 2012.

It was a bad game. Marty was terrible, and the D was bad. The d has played well recently, but played stupid trying to do too much. If they get back to basics and bench Sal or Volch for one of the kids, that gets easier. Also, Marty has to save some of those breakaways. Almost every hockey games have runs for each team. A good goalie keeps his team in the game during bad runs. Marty did the opposite today. I love him, and wanted him to step it up today (and thought he would), but it didn't happen. They need to ride Cory as hard as they can for the rest of the season. They're still in this thing. Long term, I think they're okay. They have a legit goalie, a core of young d, and a couple bad contracts going away. They need forwards, and this draft would have helped, but forwards are easier to get than d. 

I agree with everything.

From what I've seen time and time again, at least as of late, the Devils are ignored by the NHL and hockey media. The lead up to this game was about 94 and tons of former Rags were interviewed. As was pointed out a few pages back, this just became a Rags broadcast.

Look at it this way: If we were say second in the division right now and the Rags were dead last, the spotlight would still be on them and 94 not on us and Marty, 3 cups, lou or game 6 in 2012.

I agree.  They didn't interview one Devils during the broadcast.  Lou might have had something to do with that though.