GDT: NJ Devils vs. NY Rangers - 12:30pm on NBC - Stadium Series Editio

Colin226

Parise better than Elias?  Oh boy, that's rich. They're close, but Elias has an easy edge because his career is nearly over but he has maintained an incredibly high level of play, whereas Parise has likely past his peak.  So for Parise to be as good as Elias, he has to keep being as good as he is for as long as Elias did.  Good luck doing that.

This too...so long as you offer Cory an eight-year deal (which there's no real reason not to assuming he doesn't nosedive the rest of the season) there's really no reason he wouldn't be signed barring getting bitten by the 'I want to go home' disease.

Thankfully Boston locked up Rask, so they don't need a goalie lol.

Not attacking Marty, but goalies need to save you some games, and there was a stretch in the second where Marty could have saved at least SOME shots, which makes it a different game. He gave up 3 goals in a row, a couple of which went through his legs. A couple times, Marty was slow coming across the goal mouth, and never got his feet set, which meant he couldn't adjust to deflections. If the shots were unpredictable, I'd get it, but everyone knew who was going to be shooting, and the ice was slow enough that the passes weren't exactly crisp. I don't want to beat on Marty here, but he was off, and IMO he was off because he's nowhere near the athlete he used to be. This hurts, because we should love Marty, and we're used to him being great, and because this game was supposed to be his swan song, but it's also good, because if we play Schneider for the stretch run, this doesn't happen again, at least assuming most of the defensive breakdowns were flukes (an assumption I make because they haven't made this type of mistake with any frequency in awhile). We witnessed a perfect storm of sh!t. Hopefully, we learn from it. Benching Sal or Volch, preferably Sal, for Merrill or Larsson would be another good lesson, though I don't see DeBo going that far.

Hey, the Devils and Brodeur made the front page of ESPN.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nhl/story/_/id/10356255/martin-brodeur-new-jersey-devils-says-ice-yankee-stadium-was-worst-ever

What a fvcking dumb headline. Maybe a dumb comment too, but this is a non-story. Shocking that the worst ice he ever played an NHL game on came in the 1 game he didn't play in an NHL arena.

8 years at a $7m cap hit is what I'd do for Cory.

I hate long term deals after Kovi and hopefully Schneider feels the same after getting screwed over by the Luogo contract. 

There's few players that are as good as they were 8 years ago. And there's few teams that are good as they were 8 years ago. Too risky for both sides.

I realize some players require long term deals... But if a guy won't be your friend unless you sign an 8-year-deal... then he's not really your friend.

Edited by devils102

I hate long term deals after Kovi and hopefully Schneider feels the same after getting screwed over by the Luogo contract. 

There's few players that are as good as they were 8 years ago. And there's few teams that are good as they were 8 years ago. Too risky for both sides.

I realize some players require long term deals... But if a guy won't be your friend unless you sign an 8-year-deal... then he's not really your friend.

don't think we are in much of a position to worry about guys taking breaks for us. We need to keep cory here or we will be dogsh!t for the next 8 years.

Devils are 10-5-5 in their last 20 GP.  They were 5-1-2 in their last 8 before this mess.  Today sucked something fierce, but it is just one loss.   

Anyone who wants to blame Marty 100% for this loss isn't seeing the whole picture.  Plenty of blame to go around today.  That being said, I really hope more than ever that Marty stops thinking about playing next year, and retires after this season.  Like I've said, Marty will probably always think he still has it in him to be what he was.  He doesn't.  He may have some good games left in him, but good luck guessing when he'll have them. 

We've known that the Cory Schneider Era was going to start before much longer, but this is the game that slammed the door shut on the Marty Brodeur Era.  Like I said, I don't blame Marty for everything that went wrong today, but from here on out, he can't ever be thought of as a 1B here again, only as a distant #2.  This is Cory's time now.  Just ride him.     

Devils are 10-5-5 in their last 20 GP.  They were 5-1-2 in their last 8 before this mess.  Today sucked something fierce, but it is just one loss.   

Anyone who wants to blame Marty 100% for this loss isn't seeing the whole picture.  Plenty of blame to go around today.  That being said, I really hope more than ever that Marty stops thinking about playing next year, and retires after this season.  Like I've said, Marty will probably always think he still has it in him to be what he was.  He doesn't.  He may have some good games left in him, but good luck guessing when he'll have them. 

We've known that the Cory Schneider Era was going to start before much longer, but this is the game that slammed the door shut on the Marty Brodeur Era.  Like I said, I don't blame Marty for everything that went wrong today, but from here on out, he can't ever be thought of as a 1B here again, only as a distant #2.  This is Cory's time now.  Just ride him.     

Pretty much agree with this.

pretty much, i feel the same that the loss is not on Brodeur but this decision today was obviously made based on feelings and the whole chabang... but seeing the results its pretty damn fair to justify that i has to be the last time it comes in play in any decisions. There's no way to know if we would have won with Cory in net but still, Brodeur is not the #1 anymore, thats as clear as day

I just don't have any faith in management or coaching to do this.  There's 29 games left.  Schneider should get 22 of them at a minimum - probably closer to 25.  Somehow I feel like he ends up with 18 or 19.  Until I hear DeBoer say 'Schneider is our #1 goalie', I'm not going to be surprised when Brodeur gets the odd start here and there.

Edited by Triumph

pretty much, i feel the same that the loss is not on Brodeur but this decision today was obviously made based on feelings and the whole chabang... but seeing the results its pretty damn fair to justify that i has to be the last time it comes in play in any decisions. There's no way to know if we would have won with Cory in net but still, Brodeur is not the #1 anymore, thats as clear as day

That was Marty's last thank-you bone, and I understood completely why it was thrown, and agreed 100% with the decision.  But no more bones. 

At this point, as he's still going to start some games, I hope the Devils do what they can to protect him and themselves, and try their best to put him in against lesser teams.  Kinkaid is now struggling for Albany, Wedge clearly isn't ready, and no way the Devils dream of embarrassing Marty by bringing in a backup, so they'll have to try to spot Marty in games that give the Devils a chance to win.  At this point, if the Devils go NHL .500 in Marty's remaining starts, I'll happily sign up for that. 

I just don't have any faith in management or coaching to do this.  There's 29 games left.  Schneider should get 22 of them at a minimum - probably closer to 25.  Somehow I feel like he ends up with 18 or 19.

They can't ignore this anymore Tri.  Marty had a .901 save% last season and is down to .899 this season.  The sample is pretty large.  The 50-game surge I've repeatedly brought up ended almost 18 months ago.  They have no right to be foolish about this.  There's a guy who is playing light-years better right now, who's in his prime.  I couldn't agree more, at least 22 games for Schneider going forward.  If the Devils blow this, they have no one to blame but themselves.  Marty has no more bones coming to him (at least, he shouldn't).

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

They can't ignore this anymore Tri.  Marty had a .901 save% last season and is down to .899 this season.  The sample is pretty large.  The 50-game surge I've repeatedly brought up ended almost 18 months ago.  They have no right to be foolish about this.  There's a guy who is playing light-years better right now, who's in his prime.  I couldn't agree more, at least 22 games for Schneider going forward.  If the Devils blow this, they have no one to blame but themselves.  Marty has no more bones coming to him (at least, he shouldn't).

Depending on playoff implications/if we are out of the race, etc....this will change the thought process of the starters

Yeah that's true, it's not like the Devils played Kevin Dean and Lyle Odelein and Colin White when he first came up and the end of Daneyko's career (and indeed maybe Daneyko himself) - it was all HOFers back there, all the time.  

I guess the defense must be way better for Schneider since Schneider is putting up HOF level numbers so far here.

Besides pulling random names for effect, you could do a lot worse as a goaltender then those players.

This is a "chicken or the egg" argument at it's core. Is Brodeur's success an indictment of his individual talent or is it more a direct result of the players and system he played with/under? I'm sure the day he retires, this will be brought up in retrospect of his career.

• Like 1

Besides pulling random names for effect, you could do a lot worse as a goaltender then those players.

This is a "chicken or the egg" argument at it's core. Is Brodeur's success an indictment of his individual talent or is it more a direct result of the players and system he played with/under? I'm sure the day he retires, this will be brought up in retrospect of his career.

This has already been a hot button topic for the last 10 years.

I'm with Tri on this one, I honestly have zero faith in management standing up to Marty's ego/legacy/whatever you want to call it. The fact he started after his comments a week or so ago [when Schneider was on the roll and he said he was upset about not playing] reinforces my belief. There has to come a point in time, as you said CR, where they need to think of the team and not the individual, but time after time, in my jaded point of view, they allow him [brodeur] to pretty much call the shots.

The coach just said yesterday that he doesn't believe in save percentage.  So that means whenever Cory loses, there's the threat of Brodeur going back in there.

The coach just said yesterday that he doesn't believe in save percentage.  So that means whenever Cory loses, there's the threat of Brodeur going back in there.

My main concern. The coach doesn't care for stats. What exactly is he looking at? I have 0 faith at all that if Cory has a bad outing against St Louis, he isn't sitting on the bench the next game.

Scary thought.  I'm hoping Lou and PDB are smarter than that.  Even if PDB doesn't believe in save%, he should believe in Cory being better.  If he can't see that, he shouldn't be coaching this team anymore.

Brodeur had a lot of great teams and a lot of very solid years.  He is not the greatest goalie of all time but he is clearly in the top 10, below Roy and Hasek in his era but certainly better than people like Curtis Joseph.

The Devils have an excellent defense now.  That's what you're disregarding in your previous post.

I'm gonna cherry pick from the last couple pages of this thread.

. Keeping Schneider is not a slam dunk. Schneider is going to sign where he thinks gives him the best chance to win and make the most money?  The Islanders could throw the kitchen sink at him...  There are a lot of teams out there that are going to be in the mix to get him.  Trading the pick for 2 years of him was not a good trade at all.  Locking him up long-term is the key to that trade.  Lou's best chance to do that would have been last summer.  Now, we've already frustrated him with playing time and playing behind a marginal team.

Lou cannot even offer an extension until this summer. The CBA doesn't allow for it. I would like to think that Lou discusses extension with Schneider this offseason. I would be concerned if he doesn't have one when the season starts but if he doesn't, none of the public quotes you hear will indicate anything definitive one way or another. "when you have time, you use it." "i'm always open to an extension if it's right for me and the team", etc.

Positives to take for me:

- the defensive breakdowns that we saw constantly are rare for us, so I'm not worried about it.
- the power play continues to produce. It's a shame we couldn't draw a few more penalties late because I think we could have made it interesting, but if our power play continues to convert at this rate we will be in good shape.
- josefson looked halfway decent on the jägr line, better than Boucher did. I hope to god Pete keeps him there for Tuesday
- broduer letting in 6 goals will further cement Cory as the starter. I hope and think he will get at least 20 of the final 29 games, probably more than that.

i agree with these positives (along with actually being at the game which was really fun - although i wouldn't want to consistently watch games from that kind of vantage point - the best seat for this game is worse than the worst seat at the rock).

Not attacking Marty, but goalies need to save you some games, and there was a stretch in the second where Marty could have saved at least SOME shots, which makes it a different game. He gave up 3 goals in a row, a couple of which went through his legs. A couple times, Marty was slow coming across the goal mouth, and never got his feet set, which meant he couldn't adjust to deflections. If the shots were unpredictable, I'd get it, but everyone knew who was going to be shooting, and the ice was slow enough that the passes weren't exactly crisp. I don't want to beat on Marty here, but he was off, and IMO he was off because he's nowhere near the athlete he used to be.

this is essentially how i feel about marty for the last 3 years when he has games like these. i said today, and i've said for years - when marty loses, he is usually a big reason for it. this year, when schneider loses, he is rarely a big reason for it. this year, when marty wins, he usually is not one of the top 3 reasons why. when schneider does, he is almost always the best or 2nd best player on the ice.

This is what I'm hoping will continue - if it does, the devils are 80% to make the playoffs. even if this game is in MSG, we feel differently. it's our once in a lifetime event and marty was as bad as could possibly be.

i have learned to not necessarily believe everything this coach says when brodeur is involved. in fact, i will give PDB a ton of credit for how he has handled the most massive ego he's likely ever had to deal with.

i have learned to not necessarily believe everything this coach says when brodeur is involved. in fact, i will give PDB a ton of credit for how he has handled the most massive ego he's likely ever had to deal with.

It started well in 2011-2012. Brodeur was awful and he didn't give  sh!t who he was. He even pulled him in a tie game in the playoffs.

But this year his actions are backing up his words. I think Deboer has handled things well with his comments, but not with how he has handled the games. Marty has played way too much. If he goes back to Brodeur in the next few games, I'll have no faith that he will ever do the right thing with Brodeur/Cory.

He simply can't see/or doesn't want to see how poorly Brodeur has been and how easy the goalie situation is. The name Brodeur, that for some reason was not too big for him in that first year, is now too big of a name to burry him like he should.

With no thanks to his boss. As soon as Lou started with that "1A" nonsense he made Pete's life that much more difficult. Pete's own GM took away any leverage he might have thought he had with one sentence.