GDT: NJ Devils vs. NY Rangers - 12:30pm on NBC - Stadium Series Editio

Colin226

If Marty retires this offseason, what do you think the Devils do about a backup? Kinkaid seems like the only option of the prospects, but I'm not sure he's ready. There will be some free agents (Gustavsson, Scrivens, Khudobin), but some of these guys are probably looking for starting jobs.

I went to the game and had a good time, but the last thing I want to do is spend money to remember that clusterfvck of a game.

Yeah pretty much.  I walked through the store after the game and kinda just laughed at the prices of some of the stuff.  Forget that - I already paid $12 for my 'souvenir' cup.

If Marty retires this offseason, what do you think the Devils do about a backup? Kinkaid seems like the only option of the prospects, but I'm not sure he's ready. There will be some free agents (Gustavsson, Scrivens, Khudobin), but some of these guys are probably looking for starting jobs.

Ray Emery wouldn't be terrible.  Everyone you've listed are guys who want more of a shot than they would get in NJ.  Yeah, it's difficult, which is why I can see NJ trying to talk Brodeur into one more year, even though he is clearly worse than most of these guys.

Ray Emery wouldn't be terrible.  Everyone you've listed are guys who want more of a shot than they would get in NJ.  Yeah, it's difficult, which is why I can see NJ trying to talk Brodeur into one more year, even though he is clearly worse than most of these guys.

As far as trying to talk anyone into anything, it should be the other way around.

And not only is Marty worse, he'll go into next season still thinking he could still be the #1 guy, even if he says something different and all the right things.  Even if he DID accept a backup position, with no more than 20 starts coming his way, those 20 games still count.  I think Lou has to go out and try to find someone else. 

We're not going to need to talk Marty into anything. He's going to want to play next year, and we're the only place that will take him

Thomas Greiss, Curtis Mcilhenny, JS Giguere....we can find a competent backup.

i'd stay away from guys like Labarbera or Nabokov

Ray Emery wouldn't be terrible. Everyone you've listed are guys who want more of a shot than they would get in NJ. Yeah, it's difficult, which is why I can see NJ trying to talk Brodeur into one more year, even though he is clearly worse than most of these guys.

I believe #30 wants to play another season. The question becomes, can the Devils sign Schneids if he does. I say no. So, what does Lou do? A very agressive approach would be to trade him if the Devils are outside of the playoff race.(Marty may be real happy to go by then) Then sign Schneids in the summer right away,(5 years max). Then, if nothing materializes for a decent back up you very shadily sign MB for 1 year after the ink is very dry on Schneids contract and reassure Schneids he is the guy, meaning a 65/17 split.

I believe #30 wants to play another season. The question becomes, can the Devils sign Schneids if he does. I say no. So, what does Lou do? A very agressive approach would be to trade him if the Devils are outside of the playoff race.(Marty may be real happy to go by then) Then sign Schneids in the summer right away,(5 years max). Then, if nothing materializes for a decent back up you very shadily sign MB for 1 year after the ink is very dry on Schneids contract and reassure Schneids he is the guy, meaning a 65/17 split.

I disagree.  If Marty even has a microsecond of thought about coming back the reaction has to be, not here.  The adults in the room are going to have to make this decision for him.

THIS scenario would never happen

We trade Marty away at this deadline?  He plays for another team for a couple of months and then resigns with us?

No chance

8:00 pm tommorrow cant come fast enough, hopefully the blues are still not sharp. but they'll be looking for pay back.

Just keep remembering 10-5-5 in their last 20.  Yesterday blew, but as we saw with the Blues, any team can turn in a dud any given day.  The Devils really haven't had that many of them lately.  Even if they don't win against the Blues, I don't see them having a game like Sunday's. 

I disagree. If Marty even has a microsecond of thought about coming back the reaction has to be, not here. The adults in the room are going to have to make this decision for him.

id be interested to hear from the stat guys exactly how many wins Marty would cost us next year as backup. If he comes back and only gets 20 games with a .900 sv percentage, what does that equate to in wins as compared to say a guy like emery who has a .905 sv% over his last 75 games.

THIS scenario would never happen

We trade Marty away at this deadline? He plays for another team for a couple of months and then resigns with us?

No chance

Of course it is an unlikely scenario, but no one would have thought Kovy was gonna "retire." Having limited resources breeds creativity.

If the team is out of the playoffs, I say he gets moved, with both parties happy to do it.(Columbus would be a great fit) If the Devils can't find a suitable back up next season, then I don't see how Marty wouldn't be considered.(unless Cory stays unsigned) Also, you can't underestimate the value of Brodeur to the marketing side of the business, so having him ride the pine may be preferred to having Kinkaid do that.

Remember we don't have a first round pick this year, sport an anemic offense lead by a 40+ UFA, have a goalie going into the last year of his deal and have nearly no assets in the minors. Someone better start getting creative because the big bosses that own this team do this exactly for a living and will not tolerate "status quo."

id be interested to hear from the stat guys exactly how many wins Marty would cost us next year as backup. If he comes back and only gets 20 games with a .900 sv percentage, what does that equate to in wins as compared to say a guy like emery who has a .905 sv% over his last 75 games.

It's funny you mention this, as he's starting to make a strong case that he isn't even a viable back up, and he can't come in and play sporadically. So my guess is it would cost a handful of games when he's playing one out of every 5-6. He should just retire, at this point his best nights are league average and his worst are attrocities.

And the CBJ have a decent goalie tandem, broduer is going no where because no one is going to want him.

Edited by Sneax

It's funny you mention this, as he's starting to make a strong case that he isn't even a viable back up, and he can't come in and play sporadically. So my guess is it would cost a handful of games when he's playing one out of every 5-6. He should just retire, at this point his best nights are league average and his worst are attrocities.

And the CBJ have a decent goalie tandem, broduer is going no where because no one is going to want him.

right, hence my question. Somehow I'd prefer a statistical analysis over your estimate of "a handful of games". Again, somebody specifically mentioned emery, who over the past 75 games has a .905 save percentage. So what does that mean in terms of games win/lost if you figure Cory's backup will hopefully play 20-25 games next season.

I would very much prefer if Marty retired this offseason, but I want to know what he's cost us if he didn't.

right, hence my question. Somehow I'd prefer a statistical analysis over your estimate of "a handful of games". Again, somebody specifically mentioned emery, who over the past 75 games has a .905 save percentage. So what does that mean in terms of games win/lost if you figure Cory's backup will hopefully play 20-25 games next season.

I would very much prefer if Marty retired this offseason, but I want to know what he's cost us if he didn't.

No one can give you an exact number, because who knows how the game pans out, whatever answer you get will be a guesstimate. The only thing people can tell you is, marty will suck in some of those starts. It's another story entirley if his sucking is the reason for the losses are not.

Marties stats could take a serious nose dive off that low 90% save mark if he's barley playing, that's another factor. Emery is more likley to have those kind of numbers in a back up roll, marty seems like if he's not playing often could be more often than not the marty whose got some crappy .880 save percentage. Also another year, another step lost.

I don't think you are going to get a real answer to that question. Maybe someone like Triumph could take a stab at it with super in-depth stat crunching.

Only place I ever saw those onsale was at the Stadium...for $600!

I love them too, but for nowhere near that price!!!

They're like Bway show jackets -- they're custom made.  Actors have to buy theirs  bet those guys didn't  hmmph.  Sports dudes really have no idea how easy they have it.  Yeah yeah tell it to a dancer how your body is shot at 30... whiners.

No one can give you an exact number, because who knows how the game pans out, whatever answer you get will be a guesstimate. The only thing people can tell you is, marty will suck in some of those starts. It's another story entirley if his sucking is the reason for the losses are not.

Marties stats could take a serious nose dive off that low 90% save mark if he's barley playing, that's another factor. Emery is more likley to have those kind of numbers in a back up roll, marty seems like if he's not playing often could be more often than not the marty whose got some crappy .880 save percentage. Also another year, another step lost.

I don't think you are going to get a real answer to that question. Maybe someone like Triumph could take a stab at it with super in-depth stat crunching.

I understand it would be a guesstimate ate best, but at least it would be an educated guess.

Off the top of my head: average sv% this year is .913. Obviously backups are on the lower end. You average backup may have a .907-.910. If the devils continue to average ~26 shots a game, a backup playing 25 games a season will see about 650 shots. In this case the difference between a .907 and a .900 sv% is just less than 5 goals over those 25 games. I suppose that significant but not incomprehsnibly terrible.

I don't know maybe my numbers are wrong but my feeling is Marty as a backup next year and only as a backup - no more than 25 games, will not cost us severely.

Yes and no.  The turn has started partly because Cory has been SO lights-out lately that he hasn't given PDB any choice.  What happens if Cory has a meh game and gives up four goals?  (This happens to everyone eventually.)  I would hope PDB doesn't go running to Marty under such circumstances, but sadly I can absolutely see him doing that.  And I'll be beyond infuriated if he does.   

Agree, but I get the feeling Marty gets the Oilers too. 

Well, if Cory has a stinker, I'm sure this board would over analyze every goal against and rip him a new one, as is tradition. :giggle:  But what I'm looking at is that Cory got Dallas, Florida and Toronto, Marty got Montreal which we all knew, then Cory got Colorado, Marty got Phoenix, Cory got St Louis and Washington. The only one that REALLY doesn't make sense is the Phoenix one.

Heading into the break, I think Cory needs to have 5 of the 6. I expect him to get 4 of them unfortunately. If Cory gets 5 or god forbid all 6, we may have finally turned the corner on this mess. Cory has spent all season proving he's the best, and now the guys are playing for him. It's becoming his team, and Marty, Pete, and Lou need to just step back and let that happen.

I understand it would be a guesstimate ate best, but at least it would be an educated guess.

Off the top of my head: average sv% this year is .913. Obviously backups are on the lower end. You average backup may have a .907-.910. If the devils continue to average ~26 shots a game, a backup playing 25 games a season will see about 650 shots. In this case the difference between a .907 and a .900 sv% is just less than 5 goals over those 25 games. I suppose that significant but not incomprehsnibly terrible.

I don't know maybe my numbers are wrong but my feeling is Marty as a backup next year and only as a backup - no more than 25 games, will not cost us severely.

But you don't know.  Brodeur is at .895 now.  Who's to say it won't be .880 next year?  He's old.  The Devils don't have a strong offense and won't have one next year either.  And you don't know - maybe Schneider struggles a bit early and Brodeur becomes the starter, AGAIN.  I just don't trust anyone involved to make the right decisions until Brodeur is gone.

I think the problem with Marty is more than just on the ice. As long as he's here, it's still looked at as his team. And he'll still be looking to start. I think this off season is time for a clean break and a stop gap backup unless they feel Kinkaid is ready.

But you don't know.  Brodeur is at .895 now.  Who's to say it won't be .880 next year?  He's old.  The Devils don't have a strong offense and won't have one next year either.  And you don't know - maybe Schneider struggles a bit early and Brodeur becomes the starter, AGAIN.  I just don't trust anyone involved to make the right decisions until Brodeur is gone.

This... In bold is the worst case scenario and it's not worth that risk. There are other options out there. Now that the job is unquestionably Cory's, the cord has to be cut on Marty when the season ends.