Martin Brodeur still pondering trade from Devils this season

msweet

re: marty - i think the league could retire him actually. maybe lou quietly asks around on marty's behalf if anyone wants him. assuming he gets no offers and no interest, you tell that to marty and maybe allow him to go out on "his terms" in the face of the public.

If Marty really wants out, this is the most likely way it will shake out.  Lou will NEVER embarrass Marty, and if he shops him it will be done with utmost secrecy.

He will never do it, but I really wish Lou would write a tell-all book about the inner working of the Devils and his dealings on all issues throughout his career after he retires.  It really would be fascinating to read what truly happens behind closed doors and how certain things went down with this organization over the years. 

Gaborik? oy.

Stastny could stay in Colorado but they are stuck with centers up the wazoo. They could keep him for the playoff run or trade him to get some help now.

Stastny and Zajac would solidify us down the middle for the next 5 years.

We are going to make one trade and sign one FA..there's no choice in the matter. We have to. I want Moulson and Stastny, but who wouldn't.

We got money to burn. Paul's dad I believe enjoyed his time here immensely. I hope Lou can work that connection.

Unless we fall into a ditch, I don't see Lou making a deal unless he's offered a first round pick. Teams can call about Jagr, Zidlicky, and others but unless there is a first round pick coming back to us, we aren't taking it.

He did until Herb Brooks was coaching.  Brooks called Stastny's $700k contract in '92-'93 "the biggest heist since Brinks" in the press, while Statsny was on the team.  Subtlety and tact were never Brooks' strengths.   

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/comments/brodeur_open_to_being_traded_by_devils_if_theres_a_better_sitiuation_for_me_ill_take_it/

“I don’t think so unless in the next three weeks it goes worse than (it is),” Brodeur said of whether he’d ask for a trade. “We’ll see. But I don’t think I will ask.”

Given the close relationship that Brodeur has forged with Lamoriello since the Devils drafted him 20th overall in 1990, it would seem the two should have some kind of conversation about Brodeur’s future – and they should have it soon.

If it doesn’t take place before the Olympic roster freeze goes into effect at 3 p.m. on Feb. 7 (a week from Friday), then it has to happen before the Devils resume play after the Olympic break on Feb. 27. The NHL’s trade deadline is less than week after that at 3 p.m. on March 5.

Brodeur said he hasn’t had any of discussion of that kind with Lamoriello yet and would only say, “We’ll see” when asked if he might approach him in the future.

Lamoriello did not return a telephone message left for him today while the team is in Dallas for Thursday’s game against the Stars.

- See more at: http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/comments/brodeur_open_to_being_traded_by_devils_if_theres_a_better_sitiuation_for_me_ill_take_it/#sthash.ZPmdPpg6.dpuf

I hate Roy, but gotta give him credit for knowing when to retire before his play slipped too much, or got into all that sh!t we're going through.

Roy retired 37-years old. He played 63 games, lost only 15.. and had a Sv% of .920 in his final season. He left as a starter, with dignity.

Marty turns 42 in three months, wants to continue to play as a back-up, and is now figuratively holding a gun to the Devils head. (ie; "Unless it gets worse over the next three weeks, I don't know." [regarding going to Lou to ask to be traded]) His Sv% went from .908 in 2012, to .901 in 2013, to now a .899 this season. Had he retired 3 years ago, his career Sv% would've been Top 10 all-time.. now it won't even be Top 20.

..he's killing his career, and causing a distraction while his team fights for the playoffs. Appalling.

Edited by Beezer34

Had he retired 3 years ago, his career Sv% would've been Top 10 all-time.. now it won't even be Top 20.

Ouch, that's like a Mickey Mantle type regression (I think he was close to a .320 hitter before his final four seasons dropped him below .300).

And yeah in hindsight Roy got out at the right time although there's nothing wrong with the way Beezer ended his career either, since he did actually make the transition from starter to backup. But if you're not willing to do that then don't make them cart you out.

I believe part of Roy retiring was that he already had the gig with the Remparts lined up. He was definitely ready for a transition and had prepared himself to move on to something new. It's pretty clear that Marty never did that. I guess he never expected his play to slip like it did.

And in true Roy fashion, he announced his retirement during the Cup finals that year, hahaha.

I don't want a bad divorce for marty and this team because it would be awesome for him to come and be the goalie coach. But who knows if hes a good teacher, probably wouldnt be able to put aside the fact that he lost his job and would just be a bitter fvck.

I don't want a bad divorce for marty and this team because it would be awesome for him to come and be the goalie coach. But who knows if hes a good teacher, probably wouldnt be able to put aside the fact that he lost his job and would just be a bitter fvck.

I truly have a hard time thinking he'd be a good goalie coach considering how he played the game and how goalies play these days.

Roy retired 37-years old. He played 63 games, lost only 15.. and had a Sv% of .920 in his final season. He left as a starter, with dignity.

Marty turns 42 in three months, wants to continue to play as a back-up, and is now figuratively holding a gun to the Devils head. (ie; "Unless it gets worse over the next three weeks, I don't know." [regarding going to Lou to ask to be traded]) His Sv% went from .908 in 2012, to .901 in 2013, to now a .899 this season. Had he retired 3 years ago, his career Sv% would've been Top 10 all-time.. now it won't even be Top 20.

..he's killing his career, and causing a distraction while his team fights for the playoffs. Appalling.

Beez, this is not correct, re:  Marty's save%.  It really hasn't dropped off THAT much in the last four years.  His career save% never been higher than .914, which I don't think was ever good enough for Top 10:

after

2009-10:  .9137  (shown as .914)

2010-11:  .9133  (shown as .913)

2011-12:  .9129  (shown as .913)

2012-13:  .9127  (shown as .913)

2013-14:  .9124  (shown as .912) 

Re:  save% rankings, Patrick Roy had a .910 save%...that ranks him 29th, but he was putting up .900+ save%s when most goalies weren't (back in the 80s).  That list is a tricky thing, because like most "All-time" leaderboards, they try to compare players across eras, which is really hard to do.  

I can't get on Marty for not "retiring with dignity", and I think part of the problem is the Devils NEVER developed a young goalie in house in Marty's later years that looked even remotely capable of being a full-time #1 guy, so going into the 2012-13 season, Lou didn't have much choice but to bring Marty back on Marty's terms (2 years), and like I've said, can you blame Marty OR Lou for thinking Marty still had something left after 2012?  Jeff Frazee not panning out probably screwed up the goaltending situation much more than is ever brought up.  I'm sure Lou would've loved nothing more than for Frazee to be ready to backup in 2013 (so he wouldn't have to bring back Hedberg), then possibly be ready to start this season, or at the very least, Lou still goes out and trades for Schneider, and Frazee is a young, capable 20-25 game backup with some upside.  But unfortunately that didn't happen. 

Roy is an interesting case, in that he was still clearly playing well, but I think he held himself to an insane standard.  DD56 posted a clip of Roy giving up a weak goal in the playoffs (think it was an OT goal, and the last he allowed in his career), and it seems like he just felt like he wasn't the same guy anymore, even though there was no visible decline in his game.  With Marty, like has been said many times, it's more of a case of "I've got one more in me, I know I do." 

I think if he gets out after this year and does it willingly and with minimal fuss, there's no tarnish.  Even if he puts himself in the position where Lou has to tell him no, I think the fact that he was one of the best ever to play will mean that even his harshest critics will get over it sooner rather than later.     

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Nice of Marty to put himself in front of the team and worry about his own interests. Lovely.

He answers questions that are put to him.  He tries to answer them honestly.  But honesty is probably not his best friend right now.  Silence or minimal speaking would probably serve him a lot better.

I'll always love what he's done for my enjoyment over two decades, and I don't fault him for wanting to play more - and even somewhere else -- but to do this sh*t in the newspaper is terrible for his teammates.

It's time to say Good Riddance and we'll see you at the Jersey Retirement Night

Marty was the starting goalie for a Stanley Cup final team after beating the Vezina winner in the conference finals.  Lou wanted him back and signed him to a two year deal worth $9 million, evidently when other teams were interested.  I don't know how anyone can say he was somehow duty bound to retire at that point.

He's in the last year of that deal, and has taken a back seat to someone who is arguably an elite goaltender.   I think it's only fair to see how the rest of the season plays out before saying he's hanging on too long.

Marty was the starting goalie for a Stanley Cup final team after beating the Vezina winner in the conference finals.  Lou wanted him back and signed him to a two year deal worth $9 million, evidently when other teams were interested.  I don't know how anyone can say he was somehow duty bound to retire at that point.

He's in the last year of that deal, and has taken a back seat to someone who is arguably an elite goaltender.   I think it's only fair to see how the rest of the season plays out before saying he's hanging on too long.

It's not up to fans to decide when a player's career is over.  Brodeur can go on playing as long as he wants.  But he is not a good goaltender, he hasn't had a good season in 4 years, and his career as a good goaltender is over.

I'll always love what he's done for my enjoyment over two decades, and I don't fault him for wanting to play more - and even somewhere else -- but to do this sh*t in the newspaper is terrible for his teammates.

It's time to say Good Riddance and we'll see you at the Jersey Retirement Night

It's  been mentioned, but he's answering questions. It's not like he grabbed a reporter and said "hey, I'd accept a trade." Marty has always been very honest with the media, and now reporters like Chere are using that to fish for stuff like this. It's the same as the bad ice thing at Yankee stadium. He was asked how the ice was, and he answered. Then it got spun as if he was asked why he lost and answered with "the ice was bad." He needs to stop answering all of these questions and say "no comment". Of course, then he'd be a jerk for that too.

Reporting is all about trying to get things said and twisting it. Hell, the Messier "guarantee" was a big load of nothing. He was asked "are you guys going to win" and he said "yes". Then it got twisted into this big Braveheart thing.

It's not up to fans to decide when a player's career is over.  Brodeur can go on playing as long as he wants.  But he is not a good goaltender, he hasn't had a good season in 4 years, and his career as a good goaltender is over.

Ughh. 

Someone brought up the idea that he should have "retired with dignity".  Whatever his save percentage was, and even if you think it's the end all be all when it comes to rating a goalie, the fact of the matter is, is that he got a two-year deal after advancing to the Stanley Cup finals, and putting up a very respectable .917 save percentage during the playoffs. 

If you think he should be engaging in some form of public penitence for ruining the franchise and returning his ill gotten gains, more power to you.  I personally think it's fair to have him play out (or sit on the bench, however you want to put it) the rest of what was a short term deal before saying he's hanging on too long.   

But he's good at those

Marty was for a few month stretch back to his old self during the '12 second half and playoffs.  Hard to tell him to retire then.  Hard to tell him to retire after last year too considering he played only 29 games in a lockout season and would be leaving $4 million on the table.  I can't blame him for not retiring until this offseason...but you can't be passively agressively complaining about playing time when you've played the majority of games this year with an .899 save percentage.

And if he wants to play beyond this year then it's all about stat-padding.  He's not going to be able to hop on a team better than the Devils for any significant role, and we aren't all that great right now anyway.

If Marty really wants out, this is the most likely way it will shake out.  Lou will NEVER embarrass Marty, and if he shops him it will be done with utmost secrecy.

He will never do it, but I really wish Lou would write a tell-all book about the inner working of the Devils and his dealings on all issues throughout his career after he retires.  It really would be fascinating to read what truly happens behind closed doors and how certain things went down with this organization over the years. 

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

I want a blonde with DD's and a million ca$h!

• Like 1