Fire DeBoer Thread

Daniel

Well, Cory made some very fundamental, bone-head, non-elite goaltender mistakes yesterday in a game that was very much needed by his club.  Cory makes saves on those last three Sharks goals and the game is different.

He played the 2 on 1 - Pavelski/Torres combo very badly.  Granted, Merril cheated to Pavelski's side a bit too much, however, Cory was very out of place when Torres shot that puck.  Plus, he gave up a few long range wristers yesterday...

I'm not 100% on Cory's "must win" game ability...

Keep Marty.

I really didn't think he gave up anything soft, and if you are faulting him on that 2 on 1, then you should just quit watching hockey. If anyone is at fault, it would be Merrill. Even then, that was an incredible pass from Pavelski.

I really didn't think he gave up anything soft, and if you are faulting him on that 2 on 1, then you should just quit watching hockey. If anyone is at fault, it would be Merrill. Even then, that was an incredible pass from Pavelski.

Brother, not sure what game you were watching because I've watched many, many, many hockey games in my life.  I also play hockey.  I'm not bluntly faulting Cory on that 2 on 1, but when Torres can set up a picnic and take his time to shoot into an open net, with Cory as far to the right as possible, it means that Cory couldn't get accross fast enough to even compete to fight the shot or take away some of Torres' open net...

Torres stutter stepped that shot, didn't even one-time it, so in my honest opinion, I think that Cory could have made that shot a little more competitive from his side, not to mention look like he tried to avoid doing pirouettes or snow angels at the other post...

Well, Cory made some very fundamental, bone-head, non-elite goaltender mistakes yesterday in a game that was very much needed by his club.  Cory makes saves on those last three Sharks goals and the game is different.

He played the 2 on 1 - Pavelski/Torres combo very badly.  Granted, Merril cheated to Pavelski's side a bit too much, however, Cory was very out of place when Torres shot that puck.  Plus, he gave up a few long range wristers yesterday...

Keep Marty.

If you really want to compare them...

Schneider: .923 SV%, +7.73 GSAA, .927 5v5 SV%
Brodeur: .900 SV%, -9.51 GSAA, .898 5v5 SV%

via (@ChrisBoyle33) NHL Clean SV% = .951...Schneider: .961, Brodeur: .928...difference of about 28 goals. 85% of the shots the Devils face are clean. For a team that needs every single point they can get, it doesn't make sense to play Brodeur. Boyle's full article really breaks it down.

If you really want to compare them...

Schneider: .923 SV%, +7.73 GSAA, .927 5v5 SV%
Brodeur: .900 SV%, -9.51 GSAA, .898 5v5 SV%

via (@ChrisBoyle33) NHL Clean SV% = .951...Schneider: .961, Brodeur: .928...difference of about 28 goals. 85% of the shots the Devils face are clean. For a team that needs every single point they can get, it doesn't make sense to play Brodeur. Boyle's full article really breaks it down.

That's nice but Pete has already said he doesn't look at save percentage. If he did, no article would have to be written.

Edited by devilsrule33

Keep Marty.

In the 2 on 1 situation the defender is suppose to take away the pass option. The Sharks were able to pass twice. You can’t blame Schneider on that goal.

Count me in too.

Brodeur no-doubt has his fair share of blame throughout this fiasco, with how he's dragged the media into this. But Pete DeBoer has alot of blood on his hands, in regards to making this goalie situation an absolute mess. He has completely mishandled it from the beginning.

How has Marty "dragged the media" into this?  He's been asked questions and answered them honestly, as he has about various things throughout his career.  I don't see him calling press conferences. 

How is the goalie situation "an absolute mess"?  We all knew it was going be an awkward transition initally...it wasn't like Cory was just going be named the #1 guy at the start of the season, for a lot of reasons.  Marty then had a 10-game burst of very good play, and Schneider had a meh December, which made the inevitable passing of the torch more complicated.     

I'm not saying I agree 100% with the way the goaltending situation has been handled all season...I think Marty got the "go-to guy" treatment too often, and if that is PBD's thinking for Tuesday, then I can't defend it at all.  I'm actually wondering at this point if something is wrong with Cory that we don't know about, because that is the ONLY reason I can possibly justify Marty getting the game against the Red Wings.  But I don't think the goaltending situation has been an absolute mess by any stretch.  Cory has been getting the majority of the starts for a while now, and I can understand why Marty got the game against the Isles.  I'm not sure how much better this whole thing would've gone with another coach...this was going to be complicated no matter who was behind the bench.

I'm so far onto the Anti-DeBoer bandwagon at this point that I'm literally not renewing my season tickets until he is either fired (unlikely) or not rehired (fingers crossed). I just can't with him anymore. Starting Marty tomorrow is so beyond awful that I can't handle it. Anyone faulting Cory for yesterday is insane. The last 3 goals were: a 2-on-1 played so poorly by Merrill that it became a 2-on-0, a 3-on-1 with a top shelf snipe to finish it, and a blind pass by Gelinas to a Shark all alone in front. Cory has given this team a chance to win most of his starts this year and is in the middle of a 17 game stretch where he's only allowed 2+ goals twice (and one of those was in OT). There's literally no excuse to start Marty over him in a must win game. DeBoer is an idiot.

I don't really see the big deal with starting Marty. Schneider got six or so games in a row after Marty screwed up and we all just assumed that Cory is now the every day starter. Turns out, DeBoer is going to keep going with the hotter goalie. Marty didn't have a big game on Saturday but he won and only allowed one goal. I think it's a fair decision to start him.

I don't really see the big deal with starting Marty. Schneider got six or so games in a row after Marty screwed up and we all just assumed that Cory is now the every day starter. Turns out, DeBoer is going to keep going with the hotter goalie. Marty didn't have a big game on Saturday but he won and only allowed one goal. I think it's a fair decision to start him.

Pretty sure I could've won that game against the Isles. They might be the worst team in the league at this point with Tavares out. Meanwhile, Cory lost to one of the top teams in the league. If that's what DeBoer is basing this decision on then he's dumber than I gave him credit for.

Its not that upsetting a decision for PDB to go with Marty tomorrow. Cory has looked very rusty in his two games post-break. Marty is going to have alot of pressure and eyes on him with all the trade talk so its not unreasonable to think Marty will have a solid game. Plus, this could be his last game as a devil, at home, give him a shot. 

I am so tired of Marty this or Marty that and who ask and who didn't ask, did they meet or didn't they meet, did he request or didn't he request, or for the good of Marty or the good of the Devils.

Marty needed to play out his contract with the NJ Devils and keep his mouth shut. He has done very well with the Devils financially and his son  got drafted so honor your contract Marty. You have next season to do what you want. Marty never took a cut in pay he just eliminated an agent fee.

fvck you Marty. I hope he gives up two or three softies tomorrow night and it puts an end to this subject. I didn't say Devils lose.

It is time for the NJ Devils and Devils fans to move on from Marty Brodeur's ego.

I am so tired of Marty this or Marty that and who ask and who didn't ask, did they meet or didn't they meet, did he request or didn't he request, or for the good of Marty or the good of the Devils.

Marty needed to play out his contract with the NJ Devils and keep his mouth shut. He has done very well with the Devils financially and his son  got drafted so honor your contract Marty. You have next season to do what you want. Marty never took a cut in pay he just eliminated an agent fee.

fvck you Marty. I hope he gives up two or three softies tomorrow night and it puts an end to this subject. I didn't say Devils lose.

It is time for the NJ Devils and Devils fans to move on from Marty Brodeur's ego.

Who would have thought this would come from you, after all those years of your enthusiastic support for Marty? Times have changed.

Edited by Neb00rs

Oh stop it. You can hardly contain your joy with this situation.

As fans we are in for a tough time if the Devils become an organization that keeps players around for what they used to be.  As for Brodeur, he needs to understand the situation with the goal-tending position.  Like every other player in professional sports history, Brodeur replaced somebody else when it became clear that the team would have a better chance at winning with him in net.  Now it's time for him to be the guy on the way out.  He's turning 42 in May and from what I've seen he has not become a worse goalie because he forgot how to play the game but because he is getting older.

He will go down as the greatest goalie to ever play the game but he is no longer a top goalie -- not even in the Devil organization.  If Brodeur feels that he continue to play in the National Hockey League then he can either a. remain on the team as a backup or a. leave the organization and play for another.  I will have no hard feelings against Brodeur if he decides that he would like to play elsewhere.  He is a free man who is allowed to choose what he would like to do on a daily basis.  Would it be better if he retired as a Devil? In my opinion, yes but like I said, its up to him.

I'm in baby.

I said if Pete went with Brodeur after the Sharks game that I am jumping on this bandwagon. If the Devils lose this game against the Wings, the season might as well be over.

I think you're overreacting.  The season won't be over if we lose on Tuesday.  We have 6 or 7 losses to play with ideally.  If tomorrow is one of those 6 or 7 losses, so be it.  Detroit is one of the teams we're chasing.  But they're also not the only team we can catch to make the playoffs.  If we get to the 93 - 95 point total I'm personally aiming for, it won't matter what teams we beat, or what teams we lost to.

I think you're overreacting.  The season won't be over if we lose on Tuesday.  We have 6 or 7 losses to play with ideally.  If tomorrow is one of those 6 or 7 losses, so be it.  Detroit is one of the teams we're chasing.  But they're also not the only team we can catch to make the playoffs.  If we get to the 93 - 95 point total I'm personally aiming for, it won't matter what teams we beat, or what teams we lost to.

Oh of course I am. I'm not really calling for it basically because I know this issue is just as much on Lou as anybody else. Having both goalies here to start the season was always going to be a problem.

You've been elaborating for nearly a decade. 

Longer and anyone who says anything that doesn't agree with his Marty synopsis is <enter some snide personal remark>.

So unamazed that Marty discussion makes into so many threads as of late.  Well, probably the future, too. ;)

Brodeur no-doubt has his fair share of blame throughout this fiasco, with how he's dragged the media into this. But Pete DeBoer has alot of blood on his hands, in regards to making this goalie situation an absolute mess. He has completely mishandled it from the beginning.

So has Lou Lamoriello. He can not be given a free pass. Lamoriello, from the very beginning, with his "1A" nonsense to the media and his inability to properly handle the ego and fame of Martin Brodeur.

I agree. Lamoriello's quotes could have been very misleading to Brodeur in retrospect. (ie; "certainly Marty is still the starter" etc) However, DeBoer is still the main culprit as far as I'm concerned. It's okay to go back-and-forth between the two until a decision is made who to run with.. but that decision should've been made alot sooner than January. Rereading quotes from November & December, it's easy to see now how it frustrated both Brodeur & Schneider.

"I wish they'd make a decision either way, even if it's Cory. I'd rather that than going back and forth. It's harder to get in rhythm." -Brodeur

"It's frustrating not being able to play more. It’s like Groundhog Day for me. I just can’t seem to escape it." --Schneider

..my main complaint (like many) is the extremely short leash Schneidz got at the beginning of the season, where many times we would go to Brodeur, off of games that weren't even the fault of Schneider.. and it looks like we're right back to that again! Brodeur is playing tonight off a game where he only saved 18 shots against a dog-sh!t Islander team, where the Devils gave him a 6-spot in goal support. Schneider is shown the bench off a game where the Devils scored only twice, against a Sharks team with 40 wins, who's Top 5 in the league.

This is the most important game of the year for the Devils. How do you not play your best goalie?? :noclue:

Edited by Beezer34

Well what i'd likely like to see happen here... 

Brodeur get the start... gives up like 3 goals on 5 shots, get pulled and we score 4 goals and nothing goes past Cory. we win 4-3. Teams around the league sees it. Marty remain a Devils and play only when needed and HOPEFULLY he sees that after the outdoor game and this game against Detroit was his last bone that they'd give him and HOPEFULLY realise that he's done and deserve to be playing the amount of games he should.

Then if he still doesnt realize... gets a pro tryout with whoever next summer but doesnt get a contract so he retires as a Devil. 

Not that i want him to fail but for the love of god bro, your time is over