Discuss - Most Likely Trade Deadline Targets

Sharifijanov2099

Outside of Pittsburgh or Boston maybe.

Boston ok.

Pittsburgh no.  Sure they could beat us in 5 or 6.  But ask any Penguins fan what team they would hate to play.  Many will say the Devils.

Unless we move a defensemen we can't afford his cap hit.

Mark Fayne.  Sharks fans are willing to take a bag of pucks for him.

Boston ok.

Pittsburgh no.  Sure they could beat us in 5 or 6.  But ask any Penguins fan what team they would hate to play.  Many will say the Devils.

You're absolutely delusional if you think the Devils would be favorable in a matchup against the Penguins in a playoff series.

I don't care who Penguins fans hate to play - that is one incredibly talented roster.  The days of the Devils manhandling the Penguins kinda ended when Kovy and Parise departed.

And I know you're going to come back with "Well yeah but the season series is tied, so who knows!", but come on.  Do you really think the Devils can shut down the Crosby-Kunitz AND Malkin-Neal lines?  I don't.

Edited by Devilsfan118

You're absolutely delusional if you think the Devils would be favorable in a matchup against the Penguins in a playoff series.

I don't care who Penguins fans hate to play - that is one incredibly talented roster.  The days of the Devils manhandling the Penguins kinda ended when Kovy and Parise departed.

And I know you're going to come back with "Well yeah but the season series is tied, so who knows!", but come on.  Do you really think the Devils can shut down the Crosby-Kunitz AND Malkin-Neal lines?  I don't.

I gotta agree. Our defense isn't set up against the likes of those lines.

Yeah, their roster is just too talented. But I do believe their goalie is overrated that is their weakness

The Devils system is murder against the Pens defense.  Nobody said we'd be the favorites.  But we match up against the Penguins very well.

For the record, Devils' chances dropped to 38% tonight.

I'm sure it'll bounce back up if they win these last two games..but I think the writing's just about on the wall here.

All it takes is a 4-1-0 run and those percentages go up.

*shrug*

Devils went 3-3 with Pens in 2011/2012. 3-1 last year. Have looked good vs them this year. 

IF this team gets in, and that's a damn big IF, I only see one mountain to steep to climb, and that's Boston. Versus anyone else in the East, I like our chances. If they get real lucky, they could win two rounds because of how the divisions and playoffs are set up. 

For the record, Devils' chances dropped to 38% tonight.

I'm sure it'll bounce back up if they win these last two games..but I think the writing's just about on the wall here.

I talked about this in the OOT thread, but I think if the Devils don't go at least 4-1-1 before the deadline, they should be sellers.  They've followed up a pretty good 8-3-4 run with a 3-3-3 stretch that has not helped them at all.  Other than Schneider playing extremely well, this team hasn't made a case for why Lou should invest in it with any win-now rentals.  9 points or more in their next 6 would help their cause greatly. 

I'll still be at as many home games as possible, cheering on this team. However, even 4 pts in our next two games before the deadline leaves us outside a playoff spot. Not sure how you can be buyers when you're outside the top 8. The hill to climb is looking quite large, and although Cory is giving them a damn good effort night in and night out, I dont see this team winning 4 or 5 games in a row, which is exactly what it's going to take to get back in serious contention.

Let's hope the guys prove me wrong.

In terms of the playoffs though, I am very much a believer in "just get in and see what happens". I'm not particularly scared of anyone in the east, except maybe Boston. When they get good goaltending they are hard to beat. Our nice comeback win against them earlier in the year was propelled by their parade to the penalty box.

Being just outside of a playoff spot is all the more reason to buy, because that could be the difference between being in or out.  They don't have shootouts in the playoffs.

Define just outside.  Five points back with no games in hand on the final WC team with multiple teams ahead of them isn't just outside.  If that changes significantly for the better by the deadline, then I agree, Devils should buy.  But if nothing really changes by then, I don't think that they should, unless the move(s) they're making can also help them beyond this season. 

Being just outside of a playoff spot is all the more reason to buy, because that could be the difference between being in or out.  They don't have shootouts in the playoffs.

yes and the Devils are just terrific in playoff overtime. Really looking forward to that.

well maybe having Schneider in net will change things....

:argh:

I almost hope other teams keep winning, just so that it's ABUNDANTLY CLEAR we shouldn't be buyers this season.

yes and the Devils are just terrific in playoff overtime. Really looking forward to that.

How many of the same players do the Devils even have that were on the team for the last playoff OT loss?  About half?  The past isn't really that relevant.     

How many of the same players do the Devils even have that were on the team for the last playoff OT loss?  About half?  The past isn't really that relevant.     

Nah, NJ lost in OT against the Kings in 2012.  But again, this 'we're no good in playoff overtime' has been dead for the better part of a decade - NJ is around .500 since 2006.

Not for nothing, but Marty's the one who hasn't been the greatest of shakes in playoff overtime. We have very little to go by for Schneider's playoff overtime record and in all actuality, that's more of an older stat as we seem to have gotten better in playoff overtime in the last ten years whereas during the 90s it felt like an automatic loss.

Nah, NJ lost in OT against the Kings in 2012.  But again, this 'we're no good in playoff overtime' has been dead for the better part of a decade - NJ is around .500 since 2006.

I know it was against the Kings in 2012, but just among the forwards, Kovy, Parise, Sykora, Poni, and Clarkson are no longer on the team.  The rest of the team is actually fairly intact, though obviously Marty won't be the playoff goalie if the Devils get in.  Past still isn't terribly relevant, which was more my point anyway.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Just for kicks, since Lockout II

2005-06:  0-1

2006-07:  2-0

2007-08:  1-0

2008-09:  1-1

2009-10:  0-1

2011-12:  4-3

Add it all up, NJ is 8-6 in OT since 2006.  Doesn't sound like a curse to me.

Honestly Tri, where on earth do you find these stats? I was trying to look it up and couldn't find anywhere that listed it as a statistic.

I see your point, but it depends on how far out come deadline day and, more importantly, what kind of deal you make - especially if you end up not making the playoffs after being active at the deadline. If you mortgage the future on a deal, for say, Vanek and you miss the playoffs, people will call it a terrible deal. It's a little different if you bring in this year's Steve Sullivan on the cheap and then you miss; not good but not quite as bad. We're all pretty guilty of monday morning quaterbacking when it comes to trades.

If Lou makes a big deal and the team misses, people will freak about trading away too much. If he adds a small piece and the team misses, people will criticize him for not doing enough. Not an enviable position to be in as a GM. Of course, if you make the playoffs, everything you did will be viewed as perfect. Either you made the right deal, or you didnt mess with the team dynamic and put trust in the players.

Edited by NLinfante

Honestly Tri, where on earth do you find these stats? I was trying to look it up and couldn't find anywhere that listed it as a statistic.

Just look up seasonal game logs...they're everywhere.  Just have to count up the wins and losses.

hockey-reference.com - they list a team's full schedule during the year, including whether or not a game went to OT.  

http://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/NJD/2006_games.html

Then I can just change the URL year to get the rest.  

I see your point, but it depends on how far out come deadline day and, more importantly, what kind of deal you make - especially if you end up not making the playoffs after being active at the deadline. If you mortgage the future on a deal, for say, Vanek and you miss the playoffs, people will call it a terrible deal. It's different if you bring in this year's Steve Sullivan on the cheap and then you miss. We're all pretty guilty of monday morning quaterbacking when it comes to trades.

If Lou makes a big deal and the team misses, people will freak about trading away too much. If he adds a small piece and the team misses, people will criticize him for not doing enough. Not an enviable position to be in as a GM. Of course, if you make the playoffs, everything you did will be viewed as perfect. Either you made the right deal, or you didnt mess with the team dynamic and put trust in the players.

All good points - yeah, I don't think NJ should go crazy and get Vanek or something like that, but if there's a deal available that doesn't impact the future significantly and can improve the 1st line LW spot, I'd consider it.