Discuss - Most Likely Trade Deadline Targets

Sharifijanov2099

Just look up seasonal game logs...they're everywhere.  Just have to count up the wins and losses.

Ah, that makes sense. More work than I was intending on doing, but makes sense.

So, going back all the way to 2000-2001, since the turn of the millenium we've been 12-13 in playoff overtime. Not quite .500, but definitely not cursed. 5-12 in the 1990s decade with Marty personally going 3-11 in that time period. That's when we were cursed.

Edited by NewarkDevil5

All good points - yeah, I don't think NJ should go crazy and get Vanek or something like that, but if there's a deal available that doesn't impact the future significantly and can improve the 1st line LW spot, I'd consider it.  

I agree 100%. To me, the contract of the player being acquired is almost as important as the player himself. Rentals (especially high priced ones) are for teams looking for the extra push to legitimately contend for a cup. They are a tougher sell for a team just looking to get in. There is actually less risk for Boston trying to acquire Vanek than there is for NJ.

(And, obviously I'm just using Vanek as an example since he's probably this year's top rental).

Edited by NLinfante

Ugh, not for nothing, but Clowe has been one of our better players lately

Concussion history is a little scary, but the Devils were aware of it going in.

IMO since were just on the outside of the bubble rather than look for guys we want we should consider who or what of value we'd be willing to give up for a rental. IMO a guy like stafford or camilleri (and of course vanek) couldn't be had without a decent prospect or high draft pick involved. Here is what id feel comfortable parting with at this point without considering ourselves "sellers":

Zidlicky

Fayne

Matteau

Brunner

Any of Salvador volchenkov or Harrold.

Maybe a 2015 2nd rounder.

Obviously all of those things have varying value, some may not bring back anything of substance and the higher priced rentals couldn't be had for most of them, but if anything outside of that list is involved I would hope it'd be for a player signed past this year.

IMO since were just on the outside of the bubble rather than look for guys we want we should consider who or what of value we'd be willing to give up for a rental. IMO a guy like stafford or camilleri (and of course vanek) couldn't be had without a decent prospect or high draft pick involved. Here is what id feel comfortable parting with at this point without considering ourselves "sellers":

Zidlicky

Fayne

Matteau

Brunner

Any of Salvador volchenkov or Harrold.

Maybe a 2015 2nd rounder.

Obviously all of those things have varying value, some may not bring back anything of substance and the higher priced rentals couldn't be had for most of them, but if anything outside of that list is involved I would hope it'd be for a player signed past this year.

So... not that i care much about Matteau, but you'd be willing to even put the possibility that this happen...

1- Not giving up the 29th pick

2- Drafting Matteau

3- Burned a year of his ELC for nothing again because of Lou's mishandling of the roster

4- Trade Matteau for a guy who might not help at all and we still miss the playoffs

5- Whoever we'd get walk this summer

6- Pretty much loss our first round picks of 2012 and 2014 for absolutely nothing... and when we need it the most too.

i know this is a doom and gloom scenario but why would we even risk that? We took enough hits in the last few year

Edited by SterioDesign

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2014/02/devils_anton_volchenkov_wont_face_oilers_roster_move_coming.htmlAnton Volchenkov will not be in the Devils’ lineup when they host the Edmonton Oilers Friday night at Prudential Center.

While it would logically be Peter Harrold stepping in for Volchenkov, coach Pete DeBoer was evasive when asked who would take the Russian’s place.

“We’ll decide that after the pregame skate,” DeBoer said.

That could mean the Devils are planning a roster move, if not a trade, prior to the 3 p.m. Olympic roster freeze.

So... not that i care much about Matteau, but you'd be willing to even put the possibility that this happen...

1- Not giving up the 29th pick

2- Drafting Matteau

3- Burned a year of his ELC for nothing again because of Lou's mishandling of the roster

4- Trade Matteau for a guy who might not help at all and we still miss the playoffs

5- Whoever we'd get walk this summer

6- Pretty much loss our first round picks of 2012 and 2014 for absolutely nothing... and when we need it the most too.

i know this is a doom and gloom scenario but why would we even risk that? We took enough hits in the last few year

IMO the history of how we drafted Matteau and the whole kovy penalty should have little bearing on how we value him in terms of potential trades. I personally see him as a third line nhler- (in 2 years) and not the answer to our scoring problems.

It's not like im looking to trade him but like I said for the right guy I would consider it.

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2014/02/devils_anton_volchenkov_wont_face_oilers_roster_move_coming.htmlAnton Volchenkov will not be in the Devils’ lineup when they host the Edmonton Oilers Friday night at Prudential Center.

While it would logically be Peter Harrold stepping in for Volchenkov, coach Pete DeBoer was evasive when asked who would take the Russian’s place.

“We’ll decide that after the pregame skate,” DeBoer said.

That could mean the Devils are planning a roster move, if not a trade, prior to the 3 p.m. Olympic roster freeze.

Could we even get a defenseman from Albany on this short notice if there's a trade, since I would assume a defenseman would be the one who is traded.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IMO the history of how we drafted Matteau and the whole kovy penalty should have little bearing on how we value him in terms of potential trades. I personally see him as a third line nhler- (in 2 years) and not the answer to our scoring problems.

It's not like im looking to trade him but like I said for the right guy I would consider it.

Yeah, I really hope this guy can have a career and not have everyone holding when he was drafted over his head. He had no choice in the matter.

I personally don't see him being traded just because he looks to be a Zubrus type that would fit the Devils perfectly when he's ready.

Yeah, I really hope this guy can have a career and not have everyone holding when he was drafted over his head. He had no choice in the matter.

I personally don't see him being traded just because he looks to be a Zubrus type that would fit the Devils perfectly when he's ready.

agreed definitely on the draft situation. I also don't think Lou would move him.

So in other words, you don't like when people are being rational.  Good to know.

Listen, I'm not going to entertain you with yet another board arguement so you can boost your post count some more - you've done enough of that in the past few days with different people in various threads.  You're not rational - you're annoyingly and falsely optimistic.  I refuse to get into it over something as silly as this.

My point here, again, is that I firmly believe the Devils should not be buyers this season.  In fact, I think it'd be downright stupid to not trade several of Jagr/Zidlicky/Fayne if possible.  Call up Gelinas, Larsson, and Boucher and let them play the season out.  It'll be ugly, but at least it'll be progress.

And it's getting tiring seeing people reference the Devils as "just outside a spot".  We need to look at trends here..not just current standings alone.  Big picture stuff - does anyone here think the Devils will somehow magically find a way to get 65-70% of the points available from this point forward without something drastic like a coach change or huge shakeup trade (neither of which is likely coming)?

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Like 1

It's funny, as everyone knows, Devils offensive defenseman Tom Kurvers was traded to the Maple Leafs in early in the 1989-90 season, for Toronto's first-rounder in 1991.  He actually played well for the rest of that season for the Leafs, and for that one season, they were actually an exciting (though terrible defensively) offensive team.  Then it all crashed and burned for them, and Toronto was playing so badly early on the following season that it looked like that '91 draft pick that been had traded for Kurvers could very well turn out to be Eric Lindros.  Unfortunately, Kurvers started hearing about it from the Leaf faithful...enough so that GM Cliff Fletcher, who was clearly embarrassed at the prospect of seeing the Devils take Lindros with the '91 Leaf pick, traded Kurvers and several other players to avoid finishing with the worst overall record.  The move worked...Leafs finished with the second-worst record overall, but due to the expansion Sharks being awarded the second pick in the '91 draft, the Devils had the third pick and took Scott Niedermayer.  Even now it's still considered one of the worst deals ever made in the NHL...and Kurvers, who was simply the body moved in the deal, took a lot of abuse for Fletcher's mistake. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976