Discuss - Most Likely Trade Deadline Targets

Sharifijanov2099

There's no pressing reason or rationale for keeping Jagr and Zidlicky considering its a sellers market where the trade deadline gets you a solid return for top notch playoff veterans with little contract commitment as rentals.

You can even resign them again in the offseason if you are so inclined although I would prefer spending money on youth and speed.

With all those good teams in the West and that logjam to come out of the conference, it's going to be a great Spring out there. The Devils could potentially have an impact and/or say in that if any of those teams come calling in a few weeks (and they will). The depth that the Devils could offer those teams could bring back assets better then we think (or would normally expect), especially if some GM/ownership group thinks they are *that* close to a Cup or home ice, etc.

The Devils are in an ideal spot to deal and collect assets. That's not even mentioning dealing with any East teams. Sure it'll hurt to sell and not make the Playoffs, but in the long run i truly believe this is the best course of action. I'll take a step back if it means moving forward. 

There's no pressing reason or rationale for keeping Jagr and Zidlicky considering its a sellers market where the trade deadline gets you a solid return for top notch playoff veterans with little contract commitment as rentals.

You can even resign them again in the offseason if you are so inclined although I would prefer spending money on youth and speed.

You can't spend money on youth and speed.  That's not how free agency works.

I think I'm with HOI that I'd try to move Zidlicky but I would keep Jagr.

Edited by Triumph

Like I said before the only way id move jagr is if he asks to be moved or if we get a very good return on him, ie not just a draft pick.

I'll mention Brandon pirri not necessarily because he's the right fit here or would be able to be had for jagr, but that's the type of return id want if I was going to move jagr- a young forward who is or just about is nhl ready.

Zidlicky I'm fine getting a pick for because IMO its a positive just to clear some space on the blue line, but If we move jagr to a contender Id rather a closer, more sure prospect than a late first round pick. Of course I'm not familiar with many prospects so idk if there's even a fit anywhere like that.

Ps I know the hawks would have no interest in jagr but pirri is just my example.

Edited by dmann422

Everytime you do that, you're only telling part of the story. Stop ignoring all of the other teams that are a part of this, or anything else that doesn't paint as rosy of a picture as you'd like. The % to get in is 33 for a reason, and the number of teams involved and the fact that other teams do have games ahead of them play a factor in that percentage.

We'll know by the deadline what the Devils should do. Originally I said the Devils needed to go 4-1-1 in the six games before the trade deadline. So far they're 1-1 in those games. I'll back off a little on that prediction...maybe 3-1-0 or 2-0-2 (4-2-0 or 3-1-2) would be OK. But I'm not sure how much of a buying endorsement I can give them if they don't come away with at least 6 points over the next four games.

I've said the Devils need to go 12-6-6 to have a good shot to get in (basically repeat what they did in the last 25 games before the loss against the Caps). Now it's 12-5-6 to close out the season.

If they go 3-1-0 in the next four, that's 9-4-6 to close out the year to get to 91 points. It's 10-5-4 if they go 2-0-2. Based on the Devils' record in Cory's last 14 starts (7-3-4), that's doable, but it's all predicated on Cory continuing to provide the best puck-stopping in the league, and either Marty or whoever will back up Cory approximating what Cory's doing when he has to be rested (I'm guessing at this point, PDB might just start Cory every game until he has the kind of game that shows he's temporarily spent). I do believe that the scoring will get better, but I don't know by how much.

2-2-0 in their next 4 pre deadline, that means 10-3-6, 11-4-4, or 12-5-2 to close out for 91. That also means they would have gone 6-6-3 in the 15 games leading up to the deadline. There has to be a top-end somewhere, and I can't make a case for the Devils doing any better some combo that gives them 24 points over the season's final 19 games. I hate to bail on a potential playoff berth, especially with Cory's situation being what it is, but if the Devils aren't in reasonable position to get to 91 points, with 24 points in 19 games after the deadline being the most I can ask for, then they should sell.

I've already been through this. Not all of those teams are gonna stay in contention. It only takes one win right now to jump over two teams. Not all of these teams will finish with 90+ points.

I'd just point out that the Sharks we're in the race last year and still traded Clowe who didnt score a goal in ages and got 2 2nd round picks and still made the playoffs.

It's allllllllll a gamble, you could hold on to a guy and he could get hurt 2 days after the deadline. Or he could take a slapper and get our best player between the eyes or he could fall off a roller coaster that weekend. Nothing is sure but in our situation and for our future, its a lot more safe to bet on getting picks and go down that road.

They traded Clowe for the same reason we need to trade a d man. They had a plethora of forwards.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

You can't spend money on youth and speed. That's not how free agency works.

I think I'm with HOI that I'd try to move Zidlicky but I would keep Jagr.

No we need to trade for it which is why we need to accumulate assets. And Jagr appears to be asking out regardless of whether we need his service at forward.

Lou will have little choice but to trade this offseason unless he wants to overpay a Vanek or Stastny.

Edited by coldply123

When has jagr asked for a trade? Curious, source? Cause I doubt it.

No we need to trade for it which is why we need to accumulate assets. And Jagr appears to be asking out regardless of whether we need his service at forward.

Lou will have little choice but to trade this offseason unless he wants to overpay a Vanek or Stastny.

lol okep im giving up. Your over optimistic/black and white approach refusing to see the forest for the trees has no match in the real world. enjoy.

Lol I never said I think we will make the playoffs.

If Mike wants to believe we'll make the playoffs, let him believe it. I pray he's right, but I'm sure he'll admit he was wrong if he turns out to be. Unfortunately, I agree with those of you who think we won't make it.

I actually did say I don't think we will make it.

This is about if Lou should be sellers or buyers.

Jagr has never said he wants to be traded. He actually said the opposite.

Said " cause I doubt it" due to the fact no one else has ever said it nor him. I personally feel he doesn't wanna be ran around the country anymore, for two different teams a season.

Jagr has never said he wants to be traded. He actually said the opposite.

Edited by CarterforPresident

And let the backtracking begin.

Dis_gon_be_good.gif

Edited by Devilsfan118

Show me one post I said we were gonna make the playoffs.

The entire time I've been saying we shouldn't be sellers because we are in a good position to make the playoffs.  There is no backtracking whatsoever.

Do you not believe in your own perpetual optimism? 

3 points out with 23 games to go means we have a good chance at making the playoffs.  Period.

And let the backtracking begin.

Dis_gon_be_good.gif

Not backtracking at all.  I just never once said we are destined for the playoffs.  The only thing I've ever said was that we have a good chance to make the playoffs.

Show me one post I said we were gonna make the playoffs.

The entire time I've been saying we shouldn't be sellers because we are in a good position to make the playoffs.  There is no backtracking whatsoever.

3 points out with 23 games to go means we have a good chance at making the playoffs.  Period.

Not backtracking at all.  I just never once said we are destined for the playoffs.  The only thing I've ever said was that we have a good chance to make the playoffs.

Then it should be no problem for you to say these words: "We will make the playoffs".  

Edited by TheRedStorm

Then it should be no problem for you to say these words: "We will make the playoffs".

I do have a problem with saying that because I'm not sure if this team will make the playoffs.

What I do know is that we're close, and Lou should act accordingly.  He would send a horrible message to the fanbase if he just gave up, and gave Jagr away.  YOU PEOPLE ARE UNWILLING TO ACCEPT THE FACT NO OTHER GM WOULD EVER SELL IF THEY WERE IN OUR POSITION.

I do have a problem with saying that because I'm not sure if this team will make the playoffs.

What I do know is that we're close, and Lou should act accordingly.  He would send a horrible message to the fanbase if he just gave up, and gave Jagr away.  YOU PEOPLE ARE UNWILLING TO ACCEPT THE FACT NO OTHER GM WOULD EVER SELL IF THEY WERE IN OUR POSITION.

The thing you're missing is it's ok to say they'll make the playoffs and support it with what you've been saying ad nauseam. That makes a lot more sense then stopping just short like you are doing. That opens you up for the criticism you receive. Someone as positive in nature such as yourself has a difficult time committing to one side and THEN lending your support to it. 

This team is unique in it's position. They have a chance to obtain assets at the cost of expiring contracts and aging vets who could be valuable depth on better teams.

My fear is Lamoriello thinks this team is better then they are. They have to sustain and improve after the break. They have to score more, they have to win SO's they have to leapfrog teams....i mean this is not an ideal situation. Besides, this is not a team that's going to win a round or go deep without offensive support via trade and it's going to take more then a Mike Cammalieri. I certainly do not want any asset burned on a player like that who, himself, is not the answer for a month of service. This team is in a situation where it has to look ahead because when a 42 year old on a one year deal is your best player....what's that say about next year when he's gone?

The thing you're missing is it's ok to say they'll make the playoffs and support it with what you've been saying ad nauseam. That makes a lot more sense then stopping just short like you are doing. That opens you up for the criticism you receive. Someone as positive in nature such as yourself has a difficult time committing to one side and THEN lending your support to it. 

This team is unique in it's position. They have a chance to obtain assets at the cost of expiring contracts and aging vets who could be valuable depth on better teams.

My fear is Lamoriello thinks this team is better then they are. They have to sustain and improve after the break. They have to score more, they have to win SO's they have to leapfrog teams....i mean this is not an ideal situation. Besides, this is not a team that's going to win a round or go deep without offensive support via trade and it's going to take more then a Mike Cammalieri. I certainly do not want any asset burned on a player like that who, himself, is not the answer for a month of service. This team is in a situation where it has to look ahead because when a 42 year old on a one year deal is your best player....what's that say about next year when he's gone?

I'm not understanding your first paragraph.  I don't want to say they will make the playoffs, because I have no idea if they will.  I'm not stopping short of anything.  I'm not gonna state an opinion that I don't have.  The opinion I do have is that I think they should be buyers.  That's the only opinion I've shared in this thread.

We're not in that unique of a situation because just about every team has been or is in the same situation.

What is not ideal about our situation exactly?  We clearly have offensive problems.  That's why you make a trade or two to improve that problem.  Is it a gamble?  Sure it is.  If this wasn't debatable, we wouldn't be debating it.  Some of you don't want Lou to make that gamble, and I'm fine with that.  It is of my opinion that we do have the prospects to spare.  We have a plethora of defense prospects that teams would kill to have.  Like I said, it's unrealistic to expect all of them to be on the Devils.  Why not trade one of them for a proven scorer to help us get into the playoffs?  I understand the gamble, but it's definitely worth taking.

I also don't think you guys understand that the leap frogging of multiple teams and games in hand don't come into effect until much later into the season.  With 23 games left, you don't worry about that stuff.  With 5 games left, yes, but not 23.

Here's why the games in hand thing and leap frogging of teams thing isn't important RIGHT NOW.

1. It's unrealistic to expect all of the teams to finish with 90+ points.  13 teams in the conference getting to 90 points is pretty much impossible,  So if the Devils finish with the 92-93 points required, it won't matter in the end.

2. With all the teams so tightly packed the way they are, the standings are always gonna be fluctuating and changing.  For example, if the Devils win one game with Ottawa, Washington, and Carolina losing, the Devils just leap frogged 3 teams in basically one game.  The Devils would be tied with Ottawa, Washington, and Columbus in points, but the Devils would own the tie breaker (ROW) against Ottawa and Washington.

3. It's gonna take more than 64 points to make the playoffs regardless.  Every single team still needs to win more games in order to make the playoffs.

He hasn't asked for it publicly of course.  Geez.  He wants a new contract but sees the Devils won't give him one.  He wants to go try and win a Cup and in the process boost his value for getting another 1 yr deal somewhere.  I've heard from a few people he's let Lou know he would not mind a trade to a contender.

He's also clearly soured on Deboer, that he's been pretty careful with on choosing his words, but he pretty much came out and let his dissatisfaction be known the last few weeks, and this is on top some of his whining the previous month.