Official 2014 New York Mets Thread

nmigliore

Sandy, Terry and Co. need to be grilled big-time by the local beat writers if they make that decision, because I need to hear from them why that decision could possibly make any sense.  Show me a "90-win" team that has both Dice K and Lannan in their rotation.  Who knows, maybe Mejia turns out to be the next Jason Jacome (if you don't know him, he's a lefty starter that had a nice run a little like Mejia's to end the '94 season, then basically did nothing after...in fairness, he was not considered to be a big prospect), but WHY NOT FIND OUT?!  Jesus, the Mets don't think it makes sense to see what he can do after last year?  So fvcking stupid.

to be honest I agree with sending mejia to the pen, unless we're looking to feature him as a starter for a trade package. Assuming syndergaard is the real deal, next year you have Harvey, wheeler, syndergaard, gee and niese as a 5 man rotation with colon hopefully flipped for offense and montero in the wings as well. The best allocation of talent for our purposes would be to try and use mejia in the bullpen and long term I think that's where he lands.

The 90 win thing is so blown out of proportion, I really have no idea if sandy is crazy enough to think we have a 90 win team this year but what was he supposed to say- We're lucky to get to .500? I don't care either way because realistically my expectations are 82 wins at best, I just hope the whole 90 win quote doesn't follow the team around all season like a running joke.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you give Mejia this year as a starter just to see if he can handle it.  Let him fail at the job first before putting him in the 'pen.  If he succeeds, you may be able to package him for a need elsewhere...if he got through a year healthy and had some success, I'm definitely selling high on him.  If he fails, you can consider a 'pen move then, but I'd like to at least see him get a legitimate shot at starting, especially if Dice K and Lannan are the guys "blocking" him.

Sandy should have not made any comments about win totals.  Something along the lines of "I expect us to be competitive and to improve off last season", followed by some reasons why, would've been enough for me...that would've been Sandy-speak for flirt with .500, and it would've made some sense.  And the problem with a specific win total like 90 is that it WILL follow the team around, not to mention make Sandy and the Wilpons look clownish...especially since this team has no chance to pull that off unless absolutely EVERYTHING goes right. 

Colon is old and not exactly a physical specimen.  If he has a great year (don't bet on it, he outperformed his peripherals last season and should see some significant regression), maybe you get someone to overpay a little bit, but he's got another year left on his deal for next season, which isn't going to thrill potential suitors.  He'll be a "We missed out on the guy we really wanted, so we're going after this guy" kind of acquisition for a deadline team.   

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/17/justin-turner-calls-out-the-mets-and-the-new-york-media/

I think the issue is that nobody takes responsibility for what they say,” Turner told me as we chatted in front of his spring training locker. “You’ve seen that with Tejada over the last few weeks. It’s all ‘a source said that they’re not happy with him.’ It’s like, you know what? If you’re gonna come out and gonna attack a guy’s character, and his work ethic, be man enough to put your name on it. Don’t say, ‘This is off the record’, and then off the record means they’re gonna write it anyway.”

It's obviously a move that won't mean anything in the long run, but I remain befuddled why they decided to cut bait with Turner. You can half-joke about penny-pinching but he was projected to make less than $1 million in arbitration, so that wasn't it. He wasn't great but he could play all over the infield and hit respectably for a bench player (96 OPS+ with the Mets). At the time of his DFA I remember saying whoever replaced him on the bench would be worse and I'm still strongly betting on that. Quintanilla is horrible; Seratelli hasn't hit this spring and has looked awful in the field; you're not going to carry Flores as a backup SS. They should just punt the idea of carrying an emergency SS for a better all-around player but I doubt they do that. Kind of amazing this team ran with Tejada/Quintanilla as the top two SS on last year's depth chart and, as of right now, are going to enter 2014 the same way. 

Edited by nmigliore

2013 Part Deux.  That's where you can really beat up on Sandy as far as I'm concerned.  Too many lingering questions from 2013 that should've been resolved.  With Tejada it's a double whammy, because not only is he still here, but it seems like no one in the organization is backing him at all.  Sandy, you lazy meek little zilch, you had your friggin' chance to wash your hands of him!  It's YOUR fault that he's still here...you have no one to blame but yourself.  Just friggin' sign Drew already.   

Syndergaard and Montero were among cuts today - as expected, these guys were never making the team for business reasons. Also cut: Ryan Reid and Joel Carreno, who were a couple of interesting minor league relievers added in the winter, but were longshots to make the bullpen anyway. More cuts on the way later.

Right now I'd say the bullpen consists of 5 locks/near-locks in Parnell, Black, Valverde, Rice, and Torres. TC gave Valverde an endorsement yesterday and bench coach Bob Geren praised his velocity (93-94 mph) previously. I figured he'd make the team as long he didn't implode and that sure seems to be the case. Farnsworth, on the other hand, has looked awful stuff-wise and looks less likely to make the team. The rest of those names are obvious and/or have been confirmed as making it. As for the final two spots - Familia has been getting praised and could be make it and there has been talk of Lannan moving to the bullpen as a 2nd lefty, which makes absolutely no sense given his career splits, but I wouldn't put it past these decision makers. 

Unless Black steps up as a great setup man, Parnell returns healthy (his velocity has been way down and is becoming concerning despite what he's saying publicly), and Valverde returns to some form of decency, this bullpen is going to be bad. I'm still wondering where the money they were ready to give Balfour went. Pockets of Wilpons?

Edited by nmigliore

PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. -- Sandy Alderson has started to approach teams with whom he had talks during the winter to see if there is any existing trade interest in Ike Davis, a source familiar with that renewed dialogue told ESPNNewYork.com. 

LOL yeah, I'm sure there will be tons of interest now, with the season starting in less than 2 weeks and Ike sidelined since the start of Grapefruit League games. What happened to moving him during the actual offseason, when, ya know, teams are looking to add players? So silly. They'll be offered some reliever out of options and take it because of how garbage the bullpen looks.

LOL yeah, I'm sure there will be tons of interest now, with the season starting in less than 2 weeks and Ike sidelined since the start of Grapefruit League games. What happened to moving him during the actual offseason, when, ya know, teams are looking to add players? So silly. They'll be offered some reliever out of options and take it because of how garbage the bullpen looks.

Jesus Sandy, just let them both friggin' play at this point.  Maybe one of them has a good first month or so with whatever playing time they get, and you can do something then.  This is a team that maybe wins 80 games, so why rush when you don't have to? 

Anyway, the guess here is Ike gets traded for a meh reliever like nmig says, Doofus gets handed the first baseman's job and hits .230 with a .340ish OB%, 21 HRs, 55 RBI, plenty of strikeouts in big spots, and gets 2015 because Sandy says "His power is intriguing".  Sandy won't dare mention Duda's defense at first. 

Bobby Parnell just threw a fastball at 85 mph. #Mets

The concern grows. This is really not good. Sandy was dumb not to move him last July. I know that sounds like hindsight, but I felt that way on August 1st as well. Parnell is very good when healthy but given the volatility and lack of impact value of relievers, there was always a good chance 2013 was going to be a career year. The fact he is struggling to get out of the 80's with his fastball makes this all look so much worse now. 

Edited by nmigliore

Bobby Parnell just threw a fastball at 85 mph. #Mets

The concern grows. This is really not good. Sandy was dumb not to move him last July. I know that sounds like hindsight, but I felt that way on August 1st as well. Parnell is very good when healthy but given the volatility and lack of impact value of relievers, there was always a good chance 2013 was going to be a career year. The fact he is struggling to get out of the 80's with his fastball makes this all look so much worse now. 

Scary indeed. 

Didn't Parnell have some sort of neck injury though? Sort of unusual for a pitcher...so it's not like his arm was damaged or anything. He was probably prohibited from throwing for a very long time, and the result is that he's a bit behind the curve when building back his arm strength.

Yeah, he had surgery to repair a herniated disk. He was a little behind at the beginning of spring training and battled a quad injury, but it's still alarming his velocity is where it's at less than 2 weeks from Opening Day. I mean, how realistic is it to expect him to go from 85-89 to sitting in the mid-90's that quickly? Even TC offered up cryptic words on Parnell today, highlighted by "I think he might have hit 90 today." Parnell claims he's fine and not worried about it, so we'll see what happens once the season starts I guess, but I'm still concerned.

Closer Bobby Parnell continued to lack velocity in his fourth exhibition appearance, but Parnell nonetheless tossed a perfect ninth inning. 

“The first time out the adrenaline was flying and he threw it up there pretty good,” Collins said. “Today I think he might have hit 90 mph. He’s still going to need some innings. Next time out he’s probably going to go back-to-back, which may help him a little bit. He’s throwing good. He feels good. I think he’s just getting himself ready.” 

Said Parnell: “I feel good. Every day it’s getting better. I feel like I had good depth on my two-seamer today, so I used it a lot.” 

As for his velocity, Parnell added: “I’m not worried about it.” 

Edited by nmigliore

two weeks (little less actually) from opening day, yes the velocity is alarming. But as long as it starts to rise incrementally over his next few outings I wouldn't be too alarmed. He can always go to extended Spring Training

NY Mets Matt Harvey explains why he wants to stay with teammates, meets with Alderson about rehab and media rules

Interesting article

also, I'm getting a little bit sick of the buffoonish Jay Horowitz. I'm sure he's a nice enough guy but, you know our PR hasn't exactly been all that great the past couple of years. Maybe it's time for some new blood?

Edited by '7'

NY Mets Matt Harvey explains why he wants to stay with teammates, meets with Alderson about rehab and media rules

Interesting article

also, I'm getting a little bit sick of the buffoonish Jay Horowitz. I'm sure he's a nice enough guy but, you know our PR hasn't exactly been all that great the past couple of years. Maybe it's time for some new blood?

Jay's gonna keep getting propped out there until he's like the guy from Weekend at Bernie's.

The worst part about the Devils sucking is having another mediocre Mets season on the way.

I used to lean on the Devils and count on them for a relatively stress free sports season. I guess this is growing up

lol when of your three teams the Jets with a suspect QB and little inclination to spend in FA are your BEST hope for an entertaining season that's pretty bad.

Interesting article

fvck Jay Horowitz and fvck Alderson too.  Clowns.  Worry about improving your team Sandy. 

PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. -- The Arizona Diamondbacks are making Didi Gregorius, not fellow shortstop Chris Owings, available in trade discussions with other teams, an industry source told ESPNNewYork.com. 

The D-backs seek an MLB-ready starting pitcher in return, hoping to offset the loss of intended Opening Day starter Patrick Corbin with a UCL tear. 
PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. -- The most interesting sight on the back fields for Mets minor-league intrasquad games Tuesday was not newly demoted Noah Syndergaard pitching. It was the army of Arizona Diamondbacks scouts, as well as one from the Seattle Mariners, that were on hand watching Mets prospects. 

Arizona dispatched special assistantTodd Greene and two other scouts. They saw Syndergaard facing right-hander Logan Verrett on a back field, as well as Kevin Plawecki behind the plate. Former Mets GM Joe McIlvaine was on hand representing the Mariners.

Rubin has been pushing these rumors for about a month now, for what it's worth, especially the Seattle connection. Franklin and Gregorius are kind of opposites. Franklin is known more for his offensive upside, even though he hit no better than Gregorius last season at the MLB level, but has serious questions about whether he can stick at SS. Most believe he's a better fit at 2B. Gregorius, on the other hand, is a great defensive SS, rating as the best defensive SS in Southern League (AA) in 2012 and the best defensive infielder in the D-Backs' system pre-2013, but comes with questions about his bat. I will note, however, if he can hit like he has over his MLB career (92 OPS+), that would easily be sufficient for a player with his defensive abilities. 

They each have their warts, obviously, but if they didn't, they wouldn't be available in the first place. I like the idea of going after either player, although I prefer Gregorius because he's a lock to stick at SS, figures to cost less in a trade, and I'm a little hesitant on Franklin's bat (he's only a switch-hitter in name, as he's never hit LHP at all, and had serious contact issues in the Majors last year). 

We'll see if anything comes out of this; Rubin seems to be the only one peddling these rumors so heavily whereas other writers, like Joel Sherman, continue to refute them. 

Since this front office doesn't seem very high on Mejia, I'd consider moving him for Gregorius. I don't like the idea of giving him up but I rather move him for a young SS than convert him into a reliever. 
Edited by nmigliore

Well, we knew that not every starter is going to make the team.  I would do this deal for Gregorius in a heartbeat...Mejia's health will always be a concern.  I'd dangle Niese first...he's also a health risk, but has as least been a decent major-league pitcher over the last four seasons and is on a reasonable contract.  Not sure if Arizona can look past his 1.4+ WHIP in four out of the last five seasons.  That's a lot of baserunners for a guy who's not exactly rubber-armed. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I guess I've sort of adopted the Mets as my NL team due to this thread and listening to them on WFAN over the last few years.  Obviously with Harvey out, this team won't be able to challenge for a playoff spot, but I'm wondering what you guys would consider a "successful" season: .500? I know it's not like hockey where there is an incentive to do poorly because of the draft, since from what I understand, the MLB draft is such a crapshoot, and guys won't impact your MLB team until they are 22-23.

I guess I've sort of adopted the Mets as my NL team due to this thread and listening to them on WFAN over the last few years.  Obviously with Harvey out, this team won't be able to challenge for a playoff spot, but I'm wondering what you guys would consider a "successful" season: .500? I know it's not like hockey where there is an incentive to do poorly because of the draft, since from what I understand, the MLB draft is such a crapshoot, and guys won't impact your MLB team until they are 22-23.

Some may say .500, but I don't think it's realistic. Fangraphs' Depth Chart Standings have us at 74 wins and PECOTA agrees. I mean sure, anything can happen, but beyond that and speaking realistically, I think we're all resigned to this being another mediocre 74-78 win type of season, with hopefully good development out of the kids and good years out of the players locked up to multi-year deals this past winter (particularly Granderson).

As CR likes to put it, this is going to be a lot like 2013 Part Deux. 

Edited by nmigliore

Flirting around .500 is all that should really be expected if everything goes extremely well, but this year is not about wins and losses (which is why Sandy should've kept his mouth shut about 90 wins).  This year is about preparing for 2015.  So how do the Mets do that?

1)  Hope Harvey doesn't have any setbacks.  Don't allow him to pitch in 2014.  It's great that he's so driven, but there's just not anything to gain by throwing him out on the mound in September. 

2)  Hope for improvement from Wheeler...specifically, get his per-game pitch count down, and get him to induce more swings-and-misses.

3)  Get Syndergaard and Montero some experience.  It's OK if they take some lumps. 

4)  See if Mejia, if he's here, can stay healthy for a full season and have success.  Ditto d'Arnaud.   

5)  Get Dice K and/or Lannan out of the rotation ASAP.  They shouldn't be anything more than placeholders for a couple of months.  They are not the future here.

6)  Hope Colon has another "outperform his peripherals"-type season.  His being signed for two years has disaster written all over it.  If someone wants him at the deadline, move him.

7)  Figure out what the hell you're doing with Ike Davis, Lucas Duda, Ruben Tejada, and Eric Young...Sandy should've had this figured out in the offseason.  It's hard to make much of a case for any of those players being a part of 2015, but the guess here is at least one of them will be on the 2015 Mets, possibly two. 

8)  SPEND!  An $82 million payroll is hard to take for a team in this market.  And if the young pitching does its job, the Mets SHOULD have money to spend on holes.

Considering that Sandy's "plan" is now a year behind schedule, he's actually getting off pretty easy, but if 2015 turns into some kind of 2013 Part III, Met fans are going to go ballistic.  No more snail's pace progress...2015 has to be the "we're not fvcking around anymore" season. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976