Official 2014 New York Mets Thread

nmigliore

I don't think Abreu has any power left and his speed has probably eroded to zilch as well. He can still probably draw walks and work long counts from the left side...but that's all that I see him providing. 

Exactly what I expect. Negative contributions defensively/baserunning, no power, and a decent OBP, maybe. This is a 40 year old guy who didn't even play MLB or MiLB last season. He's much worse than carrying Duda as a 5th OF.

At least he'll have to prove himself a bit in AAA but that shouldn't be an issue in Las Vegas.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only took 1 game for EYJr. to find the bench despite no Murphy. Good, hopefully he stays there.

First good thing to happen this season, lol. 

Agree with '7', sure, Parnell's velocity was definitely a red flag, but at the same time, he should've told them he was in pain. 

TC confirms Valverde is the closer "for now" and said Farnsworth will be his 8th inning guy, at least vs RHP. They have no choice with Valverde but talk about a complete 180 with Farnsworth. He went from being cut, technically released for a day, to 8th duties in the span of a week. 

Parnell didn't tell the team of elbow pain, well at least that absolves the Mets brass a bit. It's up to Parnell to report this stuff, they can't get inside his head.

Except now they look like bufoons again with the Chris Young re-injury, which they did know about.  So I'm not sure I exactly buy the cover story with Parnell.  Maybe it's not their fault with him though someone at some point should have acknowledged the velocity dip and figured something was wrong.  

Edited by NJDevs4978

Apparently we set a ML record with 31 strikeouts (at the plate) in the first two games, way to go boys.

As skeptical as I've been of Granderson hoo boy, the crowd turned on him quicker than they did Beltran his first year.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Mets batting .156 as a team so far with a .211 OB%.  5 BB and 31 K.  Outstanding.

Murph is taking some flak for not returning to the team more quickly, but so what.  For one, he's within his CBA rights.  For another, if the GM doesn't care and is punting away ANOTHER season, I can't expect a guy like Murph to come running back.

Granderson is going to be Jason Bay all over again.  Of course, 2012 and 2013 showed signs of that being a possibility, but heaven forbid Sandy would notice.  He saw the low BA and the high K rate and figured, "Yep, there's my guy."  Because Sandy seems to love those qualities in his "hitters". 

The criticism on Murphy is sickening. Heaven forbid he misses 2 games for the birth of his child. Some fans are real loons. 

At least the MiLB season starts tonight. You can follow the box scores here. Some notable top prospect assignments by level:

AAA (Las Vegas): Noah Syndergaard, Rafael Montero, Jacob deGrom, Cesar Puello, Wilmer Flores (once sent down)

AA (Binghamton): Kevin Plawecki

High Class-A (St. Lucie): Brandon Nimmo, Dilson Herrera, Steven Matz, Michael Fulmer, Gabriel Ynoa

Low Class-A (Savannah): Dom Smith, Gavin Cecchini

This regime has been conservative with prospect assignments so no surprises on this list. Las Vegas' rotation will be the center of attention on that team. Binghamton is basically Plawecki and a bunch of fringe prospects. St. Lucie has intriguing names on the position player side (Nimmo, Herrera) and the starting staff should be a lot of fun with Matz, Fulmer, Ynoa, Cessa. Cecchini hasn't done much since being drafted and is already crawling into the fringe prospect territory. Savannah is a tough environment but he needs to show something this year. I love the full season assignment for Smith instead of holding him back in extended spring; Savannah is a bitch on left-handed hitters, so it's a good challenge for him. There are a couple sleeper prospects in the rotation (Gsellman, Flexen).

Edited by nmigliore

The criticism on Murphy is sickening. Heaven forbid he misses 2 games for the birth of his child. Some fans are real loons. 

At least the MiLB season starts tonight. 

i remember last year Keith made some snarky comment about how he was on the road when his children were born...most players did not leave teams for this. Something of an old school mentality. Let the wife take care of the kid, I'm out making money. Not sure what he's said about it regarding Murph...

CYoung to the DL and the-Grandy-man-can't racking up the Ks.  And oh yeah, no bullpen to speak of.  Great offseason Sandy. 

I've always known that Mike Francesa was a complete douche on many levels.  It's bad enough that he can barely put sentences together anymore (lots of stammering and Butt-Head like "uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"s), and has a way of stating only the obvious or using lots of words to say nothing at all, but this is a whole new level of douchery for this bloated a$$hole:

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/10721495/daniel-murphy-new-york-mets-deflects-criticism-taking-paternity-leave

"You're a major league baseball player. You can hire a nurse,'' Mike Francesa reportedly said of Murphy on WFAN Radio during Wednesday's show. "What are you gonna do, sit there and look at your wife in the hospital bed for two days?"

You fat, stupid, piece-of-sh!t blowhard.  REALLY?!  It was the birth of his first child you fvcking MORON!  Somehow you actually found someone who was willing to get on top of you (underneath you definitely was NOT an option) without throwing up (hope the room was as dark as possible for her sake) and was even willing to give birth to three children with you!  How the fvck can you tell someone that he is not entitled to two whopping days with his wife and newborn child?  Wow, he's going to a miss a whole two games with a team that everyone but Sandy knows has no chance to reach the playoffs.  How horrible.  And you have NO excuse Fat fvck...it's not like you haven't had kids...you should know that there's bonds that form and memories that are priceless when your wife/fiance/girlfriend/whoever gives birth to your child, and you're there for as much of as it as possible, both before, during, and after.   

What a complete fvcking jerk.  a$$hole. 

Typical Wheeler game...too many pitches and too many foul balls.  Really hopes he makes progress on both of these fronts this year.   

TC burning out arms as usual. Colon, Wheeler, Germen up again today after throwing multiple innings yesterday.

Great.

100 pitches for Gee in 6.2 IP (and I think he was left in too long)

110 pitches for Colon in 6 IP

114 pitches for Zack in 6 IP

Yep, that's definitely TC-type starting-pitching killing.  But heaven forbid Passive might actually give him ANY semblence of a 'pen to work with. 

EY 0-for-10 with 4K so far.  How much longer before Sandy and Terry learn what the fans already know...that this guy sucks.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Rice only needed 4 pitches to give up two hits.  At least he's efficient.

Four-pitch walk...hey Sandy, you're actually paid to ADDRESS team weaknesses, you do know that don't you, you useless fvck!

Here comes the Met bullpen to destroy any hope of a comeback.

6-2 before you can breathe.  Continued thanks for nothing Sandy.

Make that 7-2.

I know we can't do anything about the Wilpons, but can we get a real GM and a real manager instead of these befuddled imposters?

0-for-11 with 5 K for EY.  I'm so glad he's back. 

Hilarious. Regular season starts and EY turns back into the awful hitter he's always been. Unfortunately he'll keep getting run out there with this Young injury. Who needs Matt Joyce?!

We'll probably get fed a line about how EY had a fine spring and just needs time to find his stroke.  I hate this team already.  Took all of two-and-a-half games.

Yeah I thought going to a game this weekend would be a good idea before the season went to ****, who knew it could go to **** already in three games?  I'm already at the whatever stage about Saturday.

I go to one or two games per year (sometimes more), and I know it can't stay THIS bad, but goddamn...the worst-case scenario is sure rearing its ugly head in a hurry. 

And Torres walks in a run.  Jesus H.