Official 2014 New York Mets Thread

nmigliore

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Mets can get 1 of the next 3 then they get an A+ in this first nightmare stretch of 22 games. Whatever happens, they've already come out of it not buried, which is impressive.

Good to see d'Arnaud come around a bit. Crushed a ball to the deepest part of the park (really a HR most everywhere except San Francisco) also an RBI single

Granderson continues to stink.

Not surprised by Granderson sucking.  The numbers were there the past two seasons to indicate it could go this way, but for some reason this is the guy Passive decided he was going to go all in on.  Not much to say...he's a bad and overrated GM.  The Ike deal has fleece-job written all over it.  This guy might even be WORSE than Jason Bay.

But overall, impossible to complain about the won-lost record.  Even if they drop the next three, like '7' rightly pointed out, this team is not buried.  I don't think we were expecting much more than 8 wins through 22 GP, especially after that 0-3 start.  

Granderson's OPS is .659 if you include last season with 2014 (321 PA). Oof. 

Even putting the schedule aside it's shocking to see them 10-9 considering the offense/pitching numbers: 29th in MLB in OPS, 12th in the NL in ERA and FIP. Yikes. 

Edited by nmigliore

I agree nmig, seems like they're 10-9 in spite of themselves for sure.  Gotta give Wright credit, he's somehow getting his numbers without getting much help.

EY's OB% dropping in a hurry now...down to .337.

Here's an article, more related to fantasy baseball, but it briefly touches on Mejia's already-great strikeout having a chance to surge and walk rate decline based on his strike rate. 

Jenrry Mejia has gotten a ton of both called and swinging strikes. Yeah, his stuff is good. I still cannot believe that the Mets were seriously pitting him in a battle withDaisuke Matsuzaka for a rotation spot. Don’t worry about the inflated walk rate — his Str% is well above average and suggests that the walk rate is going to decline significantly.

http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/potential-starting-pitcher-strikeout-rate-surgers/

That's pretty wild considering his K% is already fantastic (currently 20th among qualified MLB starters), especially for a groundballer. Not far fetched to say he has the chance to be one of the game's best starters if his arm doesn't fall off and his walk rate falls in line with his strike percentage.

Edited by nmigliore

Here's an article, more related to fantasy baseball, but it briefly touches on Mejia's already-great strikeout having a chance to surge and walk rate decline based on his strike rate. 

http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/potential-starting-pitcher-strikeout-rate-surgers/

That's pretty wild considering his K% is already fantastic (currently 20th among qualified MLB starters), especially for a groundballer. Not far fetched to say he has the chance to be one of the game's best starters if his arm doesn't fall off and his walk rate falls in line with his strike percentage.

Thanks, I was trying to decide who to replace on my roster for Chris Sale. 

Harvey is getting backlash for tweeting out a photo of him smiling and sheepishly flipping the bird after he had TJS.

Big. fvcking. Deal. To anyone seriously "offended" by that, they can shove it up their ass. 

Harvey subsequently deleted his Twitter account, which is probably for the best anyway. Seems like anything he does gets ridiculously and unfairly blown out of proportion.

Edited by nmigliore

Yeah, sometimes I think Harvey deserves better than the Mets. 

Hope Mejia's walk rate drops as the article predicts. 

Grandyman-can't now in an 0-for-21 skid.  Now batting .118 in 68 AB.  I know holding players accountable isn't exactly a hallmark of Passive's reign, but jeez, how much longer before this guy gets sat down for a game or two?  

One of those nights where the Mets lineup is being mowed down.  Oh well, not like there wasn't a chance this would happen.  Just too many easy outs in the lineup. 

Wright Ks in a big spot.  Sounds about, well, Wright.

Yeah, series split is definitely fine.  11-11 with this schedule would be great. 

Just got back from Citi. Had free tickets from my sister but it was way too fvcking cold tonight. The wind is crazy. 

Really weird game too. Wacha's first 9 outs were strikeouts (or something like that) but then walked in 2 runs in the 4th and exited after 4 innings.

Edited by nmigliore

nmig, how long were you there for?

re:  Wacha...yeah, very odd line tonight for sure.  4 IP, 5 BB, 10 K.  93 pitches. 

Niese's ERA down to 2.52 after six innings. 

Still not a believer in Duda.  It's going to take a lot more. 

Literally 3 innings. It was terrible. I was in the Promenade (sister got them from a blood drive, so of course they were cheap seats). Couldn't even stand in the concourse area, the wind gusts were worse there.

Think I'm pretty much done getting/accepting tickets for April night games so far in advance. :lol:

Edited by nmigliore

Literally 3 innings. It was terrible. I was in the Promenade (sister got them from a blood drive, so of course they were cheap seats). Couldn't even stand in the concourse area, the wind gusts were worse there.

Think I'm pretty much done getting/accepting tickets for April night games so far in advance. :lol:

LOL, I used to buy the six packs/seven packs/nine packs back in the day.  There was always an April game in there.  Yeah, April games are brutal...even when it seems nice during the day, the temperature has a way of plummeting at Flushing. 

Were other people in "the hell with this!" mode too?

Is Granderson hearing the boo birds?

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Did you get the impression that Wacha was affected by it?  Was he running a lot of deep counts, even with the 10 K?