Official 2014 New York Mets Thread

nmigliore

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm thinking maybe Mejia should've been kept in and Colon to the pen

Colon would have extra time to sneak out to the Shake Shack.  Bad idea.

Really hope d'Arnaud improves considerably over what he's shown to date.  So far it seems like the only thing he does consistently well is frame pitches.

bringing in Chokesworth here is so stupid. 22 pitches. He could've at least started the 9th

Mejia had gone an inning and a third and just K'd Gardner. Major fear either Teixeira or McCann will  take him deep

Edited by '7'

Meh, Farnsworth is what he is.  Hopefully his days of being the "closer by default" are coming to an end.  Even in his prime (or what passed for one), he was always susceptible to imploding in big spots.  And he's just never been consistent, especially from year to year. 

I'd give it to Familia just to see what he does with the chance.  His numbers have been good lately (like nmig says, this could be a fluke):  9.2 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 3 BB, 11 K.  In binary code, he's Not-Farnsworth, which is good enough for me.   

deGrom officially up...Germen going to the DL with a virus (?!)  Hope he gets in there tonight if the circumstances allow for it.

Florida is 17-5 at home, 3-14 on the road.  They're currently getting destroyed on a West Coast Trip.  Hard to believe that the Mets are only 3 games out, but they are. 

They'll need to make room for Montero, wonder if this is the end of Valverde or Dice-K. It almost has to be either one of them. Valverde has basically been relegated to Familia's previous role, so my bet is on him, barring a surprising DL move.

11 BB in Dice K's last 8.1 IP.  I'd dump him based on that, though it's not like either one is an attractive option to keep around. 

It's scary.  I'm not sure all of the babying is really helping them at all.  A lot of the old-timer feel these guys need to THROW. 

Just by seeing how the Mets handle their minor-leaguers (I'm sure most teams handle their youngsters in a similar fashion), you can't help but wonder if limiting young pitcher to about 5 innings every start is really a good idea.  Suddenly they have to get used to pitching 6+ innings and throwing 100 or so pitches. 

Glad mejia is back in the pen where IMO he's always belonged, hopefully that settles that question for all time.

Excited to see montero, although I'm not getting my hopes up, need to give him time and be patient- it's a marathon not a race.

On TJ surgery- It's scary how common its become. Heard a stat that over the past 2 months of the season 15 mlb players have gotten it- that's ridiculous. I have no medical credentials but I agree worth Nolan Ryan that it's more about what the player does in his youth- nowadays when a guy comes up he's pitched over a thousand innings starting in little league, by the time he makes the big leagues he's basically what a 35 year old vet was back in the 60s and 70s.

Edited by dmann422

What an atrocious first inning by Wheeler. Got the DP and gagged it up. Wheeler is now desperately trying to give the Yankees the lead in the 2nd. Better get the damn pen up

Edited by '7'

What an atrocious first inning by Wheeler. Got the DP and gagged it up

Wheeler is truly maddening sometimes.  I'm starting to wonder how good he's going to be, crazy as that sounds.  He hasn't dominated at any level in his pro career.  At the very least, he could use some of Harvey's competitive fire. 

He reminds me a lot of Maine unfortunately.

tonight the Yankees are absolutely on every pitch. I wonder if he's tipping them. But nobody is fooled. Not a single hitter

Edited by '7'

He reminds me a lot of Maine unfortunately.

tonight the Yankees are absolutely on every pitch. I wonder if he's tipping them. But nobody is fooled. Not a single hitter

The excess foul balls remind me of Leiter.  It's just so rare that Zack has a game where he's not laboring, even when the results are good. 

More and more I'm thinking he's going to be a tease...he won't suck, but every season it's going to be "Once he puts it all together..."  Except he never will...not entirely.