Official 2014 New York Mets Thread

nmigliore

Maybe the Mets can move to Yankee Stadium or Coors Field. 

Nice solid RBI single by Wright to plate the Mets' 7th run.

And Wheeler fvcking walks the first hitter in the 4th.  Terrible job by him tonight.

Make that two walks.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mets get their 4 run lead back and he starts walking the ballpark.

This game might be his low point as a major-leaguer.  He's just been awful.  You can't throw friggin' strikes when given nice leads?  And of course Amateur Terry STILL can't figure out when to get a pitcher out of the game.  fvcking clown.

You got VERY lucky just then Terry.

alright 11-4 with the Murphy shot off the pole.

Now let's not start walking guys!

And Wheeler proceeds to walk Ellsbury. Great. Nice job. Let him keep chucking at 110 pitches. Blow out his arm while you're at it. Base hit McCann. Operation "get the Yankees back in the game" in full effect

Edited by '7'

Why the hell is Wheeler still in? He's been terrible and he's clearly tired. Awful TC.

Overdoing it trying to get him the win.  I was horrified when I saw his line after he came out.

And lol at Familia...I wonder how long THIS closer experiment lasts?  They might as well try Mejia as a closer.

You hear a lot of this on the Fan. "If George was alive he'd...etc etc"

I know this for sure, if Steinbrenner was alive and had his wits, tonight would've been the last straw. Something would've gone down tomorrow. I don't think it evens matters what happens at Citi tomorrow (unless Tanaka throws a no hitter or something) but the Mets have won their last 4 at the New Yankee Stadium and are essentially playing with house money

Edited by '7'

Would Girardi even have survived two non-playoff years with George in the first place?  I doubt it.

Then again Lou's standards seem to have changed as he got older so who knows :P

not a chance. Girardi would've been gone after last year. The 2009 honeymoon would've been long over

Not that he was super deserving of it. I don't think Girardi is that great a manager. I'd actually put him at Collins level...maybe a tick above. But he's had way more to work with. He's younger and changed his stubborn ways unlike Terry.

Terry is the perfect manager for the Mets, as he's a reflection of how they operate...they can't wait to prove how moronic and clueless they can be.  The one positive thing that can be said about him is that his players do play pretty hard for him. 

Pretty good relief appearance by Dice K, but the walks are still disturbing.  He threw a lot of balls last night too.  Not sure how much longer the Mets can get away with him as a bullpen option. 

Seven 2B for Wright in his last 10 games.  He's now on pace for a much more Wright-like 43 doubles (he's never hit that many in a season, but has reached 42 three times, and hit 41 in his last full season).  He's slugging .588 over his 11-game hitting streak (he slugged .275 for all of April, which is kind of hard to fathom). 

Curious to see how Montero's control is up here...it was so good for minor league career, but was a problem for him this season. 

I still have zero interest in Familia as closer. Ron Darling put it perfectly: is he really ready to be closer when he's walking guys and needing a talk from the pitching coach with a 6-run lead? Give me Torres, Mejia, or deGrom. I'm yet to be convinced Familia is anything more than a replacement level arm.

Gonna miss Montero's debut tonight, unfortunately. Mets are in for a tough matchup anyway; Tanaka has been pretty incredible outside of the longball -- 58 strikeouts and 7 walks in 49 innings. Cliff Lee-like K/BB numbers there. Would be awesome if this team stole one more to take 3 of 4.

Edited by nmigliore

Cliff Lee-like K/BB ratios are becoming more common, the same way lousy BB-to-K ratios are common with hitters.  Colon had a 38-to-5 K to BB ratio. 

Wheeler is really having an awful year...1.60 WHIP.  This is truly about luck evening out...he was tremendously lucky with RISP last season (hitters batted well under .200 in those situations last season), which allowed him to escape a lot of jams.  This season, hitters are batting well over .300 in the same situations, meaning that potentially bad innings are now becoming bad innings or even worse innings.   

I was more so referring to the individual K% and BB% numbers -- 29.9% and 3.6%, respectively. Of qualified starters this year with at least a 25 K% and 5 BB% (or lower), only David Price is with Tanaka.

Speaking of Colon's terrific K/BB that's a reason why I'm not ready to declare him cooked. He's looked awful but the underlying numbers are in line with what he's been the last couple years with Oakland (101 xFIP- in 2012, 100 in 2013, 101 in 2014). In fact, his K% is up from the last two years and his BB% is lower than it's ever been. Hopefully his luck turns a corner soon. I'm not overly concerned right now.

Wheeler is doing a pretty good John Maine circa 2008 impression, although it's nice to see he's become a groundball pitcher and his strikeouts are up a couple ticks from last year. The control is the killer right now. That's going to make the difference between him being an inconsistent league average-ish starter versus something better.

Edited by nmigliore

My problem with that take always goes back to the same thing:  somehow the pitcher isn't responsible for the amount of hits he allows.  Colon has been very hittable, which isn't really anything new...since 2006, he's allowed 908 in 813.1 IP...of course, when you keep the walks down (168 BB in that same period) and don't give up too many home runs (104, not great but not terrible), you can get away with giving up a lot of hits for a while.  The big question is what happens when you're old and not exactly a physical specimen?  Does a guy like Colon go from being hittable to VERY hittable...at which point, the low BB rate (and part of the reason that % is lower this season is because a higher % of hitters are getting hits) isn't really anything to get all that excited about.  Colon has allowed 8 HR and has a 1.44 WHIP.  That's pretty bad. 

Gee to the DL with a lat injury. Retro to 5/11. 

Montero tonight

Degrom tomorrow

What the hell, why not, re:  deGrom.  Better him than Dice BB or any other retread.

fvcking EY.  Moron.

Crazy to make any declarations based on 2.1 IP, but Montero seems to have a hell of a time inducing swings and misses (as he Ks Jeter on ball four...lol),

fvcking EY. Moron.

Crazy to make any declarations based on 2.1 IP, but Montero seems to have a hell of a time inducing swings and misses (as he Ks Jeter on ball four...lol),

Yeah that was a terrible play by ey- he wasn't even close.

I know many would disagree but I like terry keeping wheeler in last night and montero in tonight- yeah montero gave up the home run but he promply got the next three. It's time to instill a mentality in the young pitchers that they need to battle through tough days.

Edited by dmann422

Amateur Terry strikes yet again.  Montero has clearly labored through five innings, but nope, even though he's thrown almost 100 pitches, The Guy No One Wanted has to send him out there for the sixth inning.  BAM!  Home run.  At least he retired the next three...but goddamn Terry...

Anyway, on paper, the numbers don't look bad, except for the home runs and high pitch count:  6 IP, 5 H, 3 ER (one of which had to do with EY being a moron), 2 HR, 2 BB, 3K, 108 pitches 

Wasn't really as good as some of those numbers look.  Montero clearly needs some work...to be expected, of course, but I think Matt Harvey developing and succeeding so damned quickly probably has us all hoping that other young guys will follow in his footsteps. 

Yeah that was a terrible play by ey- he wasn't even close.

I know many would disagree but I like terry keeping wheeler in last night and montero in tonight- yeah montero gave up the home run but he promply got the next three. It's time to instill a mentality in the young pitchers that they need to battle through tough days.

With EY, there's no excuse...he's supposed to be a good defender.

The problem with TC is that he leaves starters in when they're clearly gassed, and waits until after the sh!t hits the fans before he reacts.  It's been an issue with him since he got here.