Official 2014 New York Mets Thread

nmigliore

Justin Turner signed with the Dodgers.

I'd like to preemptively congratulate him on the game winning home run he's about to hit against the Mets this year

well not quite on the mark but you get the idea

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well not quite on the mark but you get the idea

At least they recovered to win...that would've been a tough one for sure.

Doofus predictably sinking now that he's playing everyday...batting .190 since May 5, .220 since April 15.  This is what always happens with him, but I guess Sandy and his band of merry men needed to see it one more time to be sure. 

Still can't help but wonder, if Gee comes off the disabled list and Niese continues to be solid, if one of those two gets moved at the deadline.  Colon would probably have to be phenomenal from here on out to merit any interest, but that second year is a killer. 

Listened to the WFAN yesterday and I'm surprised by the number of callers who seem to be willing to give Sandy a pass.  We know the Wilpons' financial woes clearly affect the team's ability to spend and do business, but look at who Sandy signed:

Granderson to pretty big money.

CYoung to an iffy "what the hell, why not?" contract.

An overweight, aging Colon to two years. 

Though the money Sandy had available to spend clearly wasn't what he had hoped for, what he DID have, he spent very poorly this past offseason.  Even if Colon was pitching lights-out (and he's been pretty good in 6 out of his 9 starts, to be fair), why did the Mets need to spend $20 million over TWO seasons for him?!  They already had Niese, Gee, Mejia and Wheeler, with Harvey slated to return in 2015, and some young starters likely to get a shot soon, and as we've seen, both deGrom and Montero are getting their chances sooner than expected.  Did Mets really need another starting pitcher?  Sure, you can never have too many starting pitchers, but if money is tight, why the hell would you spend a considerable chunk of it on something you really don't need? 

Back down to nine HR's now lol (with the rainout)

I'm half tempted to go Sunday because it's supposed to be such a nice day, on the other hand it might be too nice a day to sit around and kvetch about the Mets for eight hours :lol: 

I did go to a doubleheader once in 2006, I remember the first game against the Marlins being a tight loss in Pelfrey's ML debut and then the second game we kicked the crap out of them so badly I left in the fifth inning (it was 17-3 or something like that).

Edited by NJDevs4978

I'm supposed to go today, but not sure if I will.  Weather isn't supposed to be great, and my wife wasn't feeling well last night.

I went to that same doubleheader...Valentin hit a grand slam in the first inning of Game 2, then a bases-loaded triple in the second inning.  Pelfrey debuted in that second game.  We went down to the restaurant after the second (not the Diamond Club...I forget what it was called)...they had good burgers there.

I knew some player had gone nuts in Game 2 and had seven RBI after two innings, but admittedly I had to look it up.

And since I had read Steven King's The Stand, which had a character named Vic Pelfrey, for some reason it took me a while to stop thinking of Mike Pelfrey as Vic Pelfrey.

Speaking of Pelf...it's too bad that the Mets didn't try to trade him off 2010 (nmig, to his credit, advocated strongly for that at the time).  In a way I understood why they kept him...he was coming off a career year in 2010 and had been pretty good in 2008 (2008 and 2010 are almost identical statistically).  Clearly he was never going to be an ace, but the Mets probably thought he could at least be a solid #4-type, at a reasonable cost.

He's been flat-out awful since...all of the numbers are bad, and he's had trouble staying healthy to boot.  His 12-29 record since 2011 is pretty well-deserved.

lol you're right the blowout game was Pelfrey's debut.  For some reason I remember him having lost but I think it was Maine that pitched the first game.  I did remember Valentin's big game though.

It is amazing how we thought we had a potentially good young rotation with Pelfrey, Maine and Oliver Perez and that blew up pretty quickly.

For me, the downfall of Generation K felt even worse.  Isringhausen and Pulsipher had shown a ton of promise in '95, and Paul Wilson (1st-overall pick in '94) was due to come up in '96.     

Well, we know how that all turned out...injuries, ineffectiveness, and Izzy finding eventually finding sustained success as a closer...with Oakland.  Steve Phillips took some flak for that one, but Izzy had struggled in '96 and '97, missed all of '98 due to injury, and wasn't lighting it up in '99 and had just been converted to a reliever just before he was dealt...give Billy Beane credit for thinking Izzy could close.  Beane seemed to take some delight in having fleeced Phillips...think he said something about how easy it was to convince Phillips that a bad deal for him was actually "good". 

Same old Wheeler.  Tons of pitches and laboring.  It so rarely looks easy and smooth. 

God I hope this is growing pains, because the more I see of him, the less I'm impressed.  He seems like he has a lot to figure out. 

Well at least Wright hit a home run...and ALL three of his HR this season have come at CitiField.  Are all the away parks now too cavernous for him as well?

His incredibly bizarre season continues:  in his last 7 games, he's 13-for-29, but never seems to do anything with runners on base (one RBI, off yesterday's home run).  It's hard to believe he's batting .307 on the season...the awful K-to-BB ratio and the lack of walks in general help to take away from how the BA "feels", but still for a guy who's hitting .448 in his last seven GP, and on pace for a not-awful 90 RBI, it doesn't feel like he's been hot or productive at all.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Took the words out of my mouth.

Is Wright having a horrific season? Well no...not really. But it seems like all of his production is fruitless. It's never a big double or rbi single in a big spot. It's always him swinging and missing a 3-2 pitch off the plate with the bases loaded and 1-2 out.

Man, Montero has been baffling this season, both at Vegas and here.  3 Ks today early on, but still having control issues. 

One of those "good games/bad games" for Montero.  10 K in 5 IP is nice, as is only allowing 2 hits, but he also walked three and has thrown 102 pitches to this point.  His pitch count got driven up by the pop-up near first lost in the sun, but man it seems like every Met starting pitcher is always up around 100 pitches thrown by the 6th. 

Meanwhile Arroyo is at 57 pitches through five. 

7 mil for Chris Young. What a train wreck

What a microcosm of the mets since 2006 this game is. 4 double plays. Another small country left on the basepaths. And one of the DP's wasn't even a true DP as Chavez never tagged Arroyo, but the Mets weren't smart enough to notice

Unbelievable. 5th double play grounded into. Marshall comes in and can't find the plate against Abreu. Duda decides to swing at ball 1 and grounds into a DP

New, unheard of levels of ineptitude? Yep, the Mets will find them.

Edited by '7'

More typical Mets ineptitude in the 9th as Murphy drops an easy throw from Wright that would have ended the inning. Stupidity, incompetence, and choking all around. 90 wins here we come

now 2 on 1 out in the 9th. Only fitting this ends on a DP or some amazing defensive play or excruciating HR saving catch at the wall

This is not even the least bit shocking. And yes we are the only team in baseball that has to deal with this kind of stuff.

6-16 in our last 22.

Edited by '7'

And so was Gary Cohen. Sounded unusually agitated. Both have just about had enough and it sounds like it happenex at the same time.. We can at least change the channel. They have to take it all in. No choice. This is a lot to endure for both since the Beltran K in 06. The fact that theyve gone this long without a tirade is impressive.

It was a very nice crowd today. Shame the Mets had to give that kind of performance

Edited by '7'

Unbelievable. 5th double play grounded into. Marshall comes in and can't find the plate against Abreu. Duda decides to swing at ball 1 and grounds into a DP

New, unheard of levels of ineptitude? Yep, the Mets will find them.

I forever dream of the day when the Mets realize that Lucas Duda flat-out sucks, end of story.  Numbers once again predictably sinking.  Chances = failures for him, always have, always will. 

What the hell, why not give Eric Campbell a shot, even if he's not the future at first?  I can't take Doofus being shoved down my throat anymore.  The guy is 8-for-his-last-46 (.174).  He's NEVER shown anything to lead us to believe he's ever going to become a consistent hitter.  When is this team going to start filtering out the stiffs?  They've won six fvcking games in their last 22.  What is it going to take?  fvck Sandy, fvck the Wilpons. 

Yea, but today they were just desperate for a win to stop the bleeding (which they did) Mejia is most certainly not available for tomorrow.

If Mejia is a candidate to close in the future, then the Mets have to find out sooner rather than later if he can appear in 60 games or so without issue.  Yeah, he should be unavailable for tomorrow.

Nice job by Montero to give his team a sixth inning with the high pitch count.  Also a nice job by Dice K.  He's maddening sometimes, but overall he's given the Mets more than they had any right to expect, considering he was nothing more than a warm body signing initially. 

If Mejia is a candidate to close in the future, then the Mets have to find out sooner rather than later if he can appear in 60 games or so without issue.  Yeah, he should be unavailable for tomorrow.

Nice job by Montero to give his team a sixth inning with the high pitch count.  Also a nice job by Dice K.  He's maddening sometimes, but overall he's given the Mets more than they had any right to expect, considering he was nothing more than a warm body signing initially. 

It just sort of goes along with the pattern they've had with the younger pitchers with Wheeler and Montero going over 110 pitches recently.

I wouldn't mind seeing Campbell getting an extended look at 1B considering how Duda has fallen off the face of the earth. If they still have some faith in Lucas than hide him in left and hope Lagares flags down some balls going in his direction. Chris Young is an abomination. 7+ million on this .200 hitting scrub

I'm hoping he picks it up a little bit now so we can get a halfway decent return for him at the deadline.

Duda is 3 for his last 31 and is still batting 25 points higher than young. Which is all you need to know about Chris Young.

Edited by '7'

It just sort of goes along with the pattern they've had with the younger pitchers with Wheeler and Montero going over 110 pitches recently.

One issue I see is the Met starters (in the minors) seem like they're usually held to 5 innings in a lot of starts.  Not sure what their pitch counts actually are, but I do worry a bit when suddenly they're throwing 110+ plus.  At the same time, you wonder if all this pitch count crap and constant handle-with-care treatment is really doing any good.  Some of the old-timers say you've got to throw and throw and throw to build up arm strength...of course, you've got the other end of the spectrum, the Dwight Gooden-types (and he might not be the best example, in that he was a drug abuser, though he in his memoir he did say he was clean from '87-'94 after going through rehab, so one can argue that drugs didn't really affect him in his prime).  Doc threw 195 minor-league innings in 1983, 218 at the major-league level in 1984, 276 in 1985, and 250 in 1986 (all of this before his 22nd birthday).  From 1987 on, he was never the same strikeout machine he had been earlier, and he also became much more hittable.  SI, in an article about BFS (batters faced per start), predicted that Doc would wear down more quickly than expected, and he basically did just that...the premise of the article was that young pitchers who faced too many batters per start and threw a lot of innings would pay for it later on.  

Like nmig always says...pitchers.  Feels like no matter how you handle them these days, you're screwed.

I wouldn't mind seeing Campbell getting an extended look at 1B considering how Duda has fallen off the face of the earth. If they still have some faith in Lucas than hide him in left and hope Lagares flags down some balls going in his direction. Chris Young is an abomination. 7+ million on this .200 hitting scrub

I'm hoping he picks it up a little bit now so we can get a halfway decent return for him at the deadline.

Duda is 3 for his last 31 and is still batting 25 points higher than young. Which is all you need to know about Chris Young.

I just wonder what they see in Doofus that makes them think he's worthy of all the chances they give him.  It's almost as bad as Gretchen Weiners trying to make "fetch" happen.  Power that can be described as random at best (does it ever feel like Duda is capable of hitting a home run when you really need one?)...I just don't get why the Mets can't move on.  It's time.

re:  CYoung, what's maddening about him is that, if Sandy wanted to go the "looks like a lost cause but may have some upside" route, he could've either found someone less expensive, or someone he didn't have to promise ABs to (I'd like to think that wasn't true).  What's also maddening is that the franchise can't keep talking about the importance of OB%, then keep bringing in guys who aren't decent-to-high average hitters, DON'T draw walks AND strike out a ton.  CYoung hit .231 with a .311 OB% in 2012 (his career numbers are .234 with a .314 OB%) and .200 with a .280 OB% last season.  This year, he's at .204 with a .289 OB%.  I'm guessing Sandy made this move hoping Young might regain his 2010 form, but that's how it always seems to be with the Mets...Omar often did the same thing after a while:  stack up on "Ifs" and keep hoping that it all somehow comes together.  Hey, that guy used to be pretty good four years ago, that guy was a decent closer a while back, when that other guy was actually healthy that one season he was solid...just tired of the house-of-cards Met mentality. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

One issue I see is the Met starters (in the minors) seem like they're usually held to 5 innings in a lot of starts.  Not sure what their pitch counts actually are, but I do worry a bit when suddenly they're throwing 110+ plus.  At the same time, you wonder if all this pitch count crap and constant handle-with-care treatment is really doing any good.  Some of the old-timers say you've got to throw and throw and throw to build up arm strength...of course, you've got the other end of the spectrum, the Dwight Gooden-types (and he might not be the best example, in that he was a drug abuser, though he in his memoir he did say he was clean from '87-'94 after going through rehab, so one can argue that drugs didn't really affect him in his prime).  Doc threw 195 minor-league innings in 1983, 218 at the major-league level in 1984, 276 in 1985, and 250 in 1986 (all of this before his 22nd birthday).  From 1987 on, he was never the same strikeout machine he had been earlier, and he also became much more hittable.  SI, in an article about BFS (batters faced per start), predicted that Doc would wear down more quickly than expected, and he basically did just that...the premise of the article was that young pitchers who faced too many batters per start and threw a lot of innings would pay for it later on.  

Like nmig always says...pitchers.  Feels like no matter how you handle them these days, you're screwed.

You're not wrong...I've probably been a little too peevish about pitch counts since the Santana no-hitter ended his career more or less.  Innings limits are another story, I do think every team goes ridiculously overboard trying to manage innings and it's more hilarious by the season the Nationals squandered their best opportunity to win by shutting down Strausberg for no reason.