Official 2014 New York Mets Thread

nmigliore

Yeah but watch out, that place the mods can get uptight over the stupidest things.  I once got banned just for using the term buttbuddy (referring to Tony B and Omar).  Not suspended or post deleted, banned.  Other than that it's okay...it is prospect-centric though, you have your faction of posters that want to play every young guy in creation and not sign any FA's.  

Yea I find that place is less emotional. Nobody goes ballistic after losses...you can sense the agitation but it's pretty even keeled.

Though getting banned for something as benign as that. Maybe Jeff Wilpon is a mod!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

honestly on stubhub you can prob get like, seats behind home plate for $50 this week. It'll be a ghost town, take advantage of it

I just haven't decided which one to go to yet, though I have plans Tuesday and Sunday so it could be anytime from Wednesday-Saturday.  Probably wait till the last minute to get something cause of weather and other plans that might happen.

Wednesday - kind of intrigued by seeing DeGrom

Thursday - the best pitching matchup (Niese/Lohse) and thus the least chance of having one of our four-hour instant anti-classic games.

Friday - probably the best chance for an actual Met win with Colon against Stults

Saturday - love the time, hate the fact it's Wheeler pitching :P

nmig hasn't been around in a few weeks...the Mets probably broke him too :(  He still posts on the Mets board I sometimes frequent (NYFS) but he hasn't posted in the main forum there in a while too (still posted a few times during the draft in the prospects forum though, so he hasn't been abducted or anything) 

I may finally make myself go to a game this week but that's mostly cause I have the week off.  That'll probably be it for me this year sadly as far as going to games.

Yeah, I kind of assumed nmig had moved on...the sabes guys tend to stick together (it tends to be their way or no way when it comes to give-and-take discussion...if the sabes say a guy has been terrific, then he's been terrific, end of story, even if our eyes tell us otherwise), and he's hinted at going over to a dedicated Met board before.  Like I've always said, I've never been an anti-sabes guy, and they give us more info than traditional stats alone ever could.  I hope nmig comes back...it's always better in here with more participants.  Sometimes I feel like I'm alone in here.

I just haven't decided which one to go to yet, though I have plans Tuesday and Sunday so it could be anytime from Wednesday-Saturday.  Probably wait till the last minute to get something cause of weather and other plans that might happen.

Wednesday - kind of intrigued by seeing DeGrom

Thursday - the best pitching matchup (Niese/Lohse) and thus the least chance of having one of our four-hour instant anti-classic games.

Friday - probably the best chance for an actual Met win with Colon against Stults

Saturday - love the time, hate the fact it's Wheeler pitching :P

Yeah, I was supposed to go to a game a couple of weeks ago, but I was fighting a cold, then my wife got it and was feeling pretty crappy, and the weather wasn't supposed to be all that good (it wound up being better than expected), so we bailed.  I have no idea if we'll go to one this season. 

Zack unfortunately looks like one of those guys who's going to need 2-3 years (maybe even more than that) to become consistent.  As we've seen, he pitches just well enough that you get a glimpse of what could be, but then has those labor-intensive, 100-pitches by the 5th-inning slow-as-molasses-fests where it seems like he's 3-2 on every batter. 

Even with yesterday's largely crappy start, there are numbers that continue to give us reasons for hope as of late:

Last 5 starts:  29.1 IP, 25 H, 12 ER, 2 HR, 7 BB, 34 K, 3.68 ERA 

With strikeouts being so damned high throughout the league, I don't know how much of a big deal I should make out of his Ks, but at least the walks have been down lately, the K-to-BB ratio is as good as it's ever been for Zack, and he's only given up a couple of HR in those five starts (he's been good at keeping the ball in the park this season...5 HR allowed in 73.0 IP, which is pretty good). 

'7', re:  Doofus, CY, etc...unfortunately, these are "bad team ballplayers".  I can't really get mad at CY because he's doing about what should've realistically been expected.  If you sign a guy with slash lines of .231/.311/.434 and .200/.280/.379 in his previous two seasons, should anyone really hope for a hell of a lot?  Billy Beane (who is light-years ahead of the useless moron masquerading as a GM here) gave CY a shot last season, but was smart enough to steer clear this season (last year represented the 4th straight season of OB+SLG decline for CY).  For some reason, Sandy couldn't see it...I swear, sometimes it seems like Sandy purposely signed sh!t players just to spite his employers.  I keep wondering what kind of research he did before making some of his moves. 

Doofus is the prototypical "bad team ballplayer".  He's good enough to play in the majors.  Stick him at first base everyday and if he stays healthy, he'll hit you 20-25 HR and drive in 75-80 runs (maybe even a little more than that in a really good year), which at least makes him look "not that bad, really" at a quick glance.  But he's one of those guys you don't ever expect to do much against a top closer or a upper-echelon starting pitcher.  He's not really a tough guy to overmatch, and you're almost stunned when he comes through in a tough spot.  If you're a team in transition and you have a 1st-base prospect that's a year or two away and you don't see your team winning 80 games without a lot of things breaking right, sure, you can get by with Duda at first.  But once you become serious about contending, Duda is not your first baseman.  As long as there's bad teams in baseball or teams on their way to improving but aren't quite there yet, there will be room for guys like Duda.  He can actually have a decent 10-12 year career...guys like him sometimes do.

Speaking of "bad team ballplayers", I've always felt that Daniel Murphy fit that mold, but could also possibly be a nice ninth-place hitter on an AL contender.  It's still too early in this season to make any declarations, and 2011 teased similar promise, but if Murph can put up 2011 numbers (.320/.362/.448, .810 OB+SLG) fairly consistently going forward (he's not that far off that pace now), I think you could actually stick him on a contender and get by with him.  The one thing he doesn't do and probably won't ever do is hit home runs or be any better at fielding his position than he is right now, but his 2011 and 2014 seasons to date make for a second baseman we can live with.  Of course, the flip side to that is, if he turns in a 2011-type season this year, do you sell high?      

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Tip of the cap to Lonnie Chisenhall, who just played the game of his life, and a game for the ages; becoming just the 4th player in the last 100 years to have 5 hits, 3 homers, and 9 RBIs in one game. The announcer called it best after his 4rd homer: "Lonnie Chisenhall is back in little league for one night."

I love these kinds of stories. Who really knew the name Lonnie Chisenhall before tonight?

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2014_06_09_clemlb_texmlb_1&mode=recap_away&c_id=cle

Nice story for sure, but should've gone here:

http://njdevs.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=133533

Ah sorry, didn't see that thread.

It's all good...it's better than anything that's going on with our baseball team right now!

Montero made his second Vegas start since being sent down...numbers don't look as bad as they could due to only 1 run being earned, but his two starts since being going back down aren't exactly screaming "recall":

8.1 IP, 13 H, 9 R, 4 ER, 6 BB, 8 K 

I get the feeling we're not going to be seeing him back here for a while, and that's OK.  I'd rather he get himself straightened out (something is clearly not right with him) than be rushed.  He's still only 23.   

Montero made his second Vegas start since being sent down...numbers don't look as bad as they could due to only 1 run being earned, but his two starts since being going back down aren't exactly screaming "recall":

8.1 IP, 13 H, 9 R, 4 ER, 6 BB, 8 K 

I get the feeling we're not going to be seeing him back here for a while, and that's OK.  I'd rather he get himself straightened out (something is clearly not right with him) than be rushed.  He's still only 23.   

Honestly I thought he was more ready than deGrom, but it doesn't look to be the case. Those walks are a bit troubling. Might as well keep him there until 2015

What's the big holdup with Plawecki? He's crushing it in AA. Easily out most complete hitting catcher

Ha totally. And that looked like the typical low and away pitch that d'Arnaud whiffs on endlessly.

Still would like to see Plawecki. Maybe a Plawecki/Recker platoon. Teagarden will quickly fall out of favor once he K's 19 out of 22 AB's (yes he's that big a whiffer) but tonight was a nice moment. He socked that to the one little enclave at citi field where it's sort of easy to get one out if it's on a line

Nice job out of Matsuzaka

Honestly I thought he was more ready than deGrom, but it doesn't look to be the case. Those walks are a bit troubling. Might as well keep him there until 2015

What's the big holdup with Plawecki? He's crushing it in AA. Easily out most complete hitting catcher

d'Arnaud is going to get the "backing" for now...but let's face it, if Plawecki keeps this up, he's going to start pushing d'Arnaud in a huge way, and understandably so.  If the Mets have a guy who's tearing it up, I don't know how long they can wait for d'Arnaud to figure things out.

Plawecki should probably get some AAA time...crushing it in AA doesn't mean he's ready for the big leagues.  Montero was tearing up AA not too long ago. 

Nice start by Dice K...every good start he gives the Mets is a bonus, in that he's actually giving the Mets good starts, and that Montero won't be rushed back up.

What's interesting, re:  Plawecki, is if he gets a call-up to AAA soon and tears it up there to close out 2014.  Does d'Arnaud get traded for the third time in his young career as part of a package for a big fish?  Unfortunately, I think his value right now isn't what it was as a pure prospect, in that he's now 25 years old (he'll be 26 as pitchers and catchers report for 2015) and has shown very little at the major-league level.  When he was hitting in the minors as he was dealt in packages for Cy Young Award winners, there was intrigue, especially since he's a catcher, but now that he's been so underwhelming in roughly a half-season's worth of major-league plate appearances, how much has his stock fallen as a result?

I'm not saying he can't still figure it out and become a good player, but unfortunately, with his injury history and shaky major-league resume, his value has to be lower than it was when he was dealt previously.  Unless he REALLY starts showing something, he's not going to be a prime young piece in any offseason deals, and in the event that he DOES show something, would you WANT to deal him at that point?  You're not leaving yourself any options at that point...you're basically putting every last egg in Plawecki's basket.

Zach Lutz is gone...headed to Japan:

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/mets/post/_/id/88949/source-zach-lutz-headed-to-japan?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Some will criticize the Mets for not getting anything at all back for him, but I'm all for a move like this...the Mets have too many AAAA players in AAA...guys who put up nice numbers because it's the PCL, but there simply isn't anyone in their lineup you can really expect to help at the major-league level.  Lutz is also 28 years old and primarily a 3rd baseman.  Not exactly much opportunity for him here.

Wright is now 1-for-his-last-26.  His year has now sank back down to being awful, though I'm sure some could probably find ways to dress it up and make it look better/unlucky. 

Poor deGrom...now 0-3.  Last night wasn't pretty, but good for him for sticking around for six major league starts and looking like he can at least compete.  Last couple of starts haven't been great, but at least both starts didn't get completely away from him.

I know Collins was given a vote of confidence by Passive, but I'm not sure how much more losing he should be allowed to oversee.  Yeah, any managerial change is probably not going to mean a whole hell of a lot, not with this bunch that doesn't have a leader in the clubhouse.  It will be strictly for cosmetics.  But it's time. 

Though part of me is mildly intrigued by Allan Dykstra (he cooled off after that insane start, but still has an 1.004 OB+SLG), especially since Duda has clear limitations, the fact is Dykstra probably won't be much of an improvement...he's DHed in 16 games, which is fair indication as to what kind of fielder he is, and though he had a nice year in Binghamton last season, he was also overage.  The only way he'll get any kind of a shot is if Duda gets hurt...even if Duda continues to be a .230ish hitter who hits random home runs and draws some walks (his last three season indicate as such), he probably gets the rest of this season no matter what Dykstra does.  As much as I don't like Duda, I guess I can't really blame the Mets on this one...Dykstra is already 27 years old, and with scouts constantly on the lookout for someone who can help, the fact that no one's even offered to swap a minor-leaguer or two for him speaks volumes (unfortunately). 

Lutz had no value. Ever team in baseball probably has at least 6 Lutz's floating around the minors

Mets NEVER score any runs for deGrom. Very disheartening as he could easily be 3-0

Neither Duda or Dykstra are the long term answer at 1b. Dykstra I think would literally put up the exact same Duda numbers if he were brought up. Heck maybe he could even be a consistent .260 guy which would be better than Lucas.

Duda has some value. Not a ton but if we deal him we could get back a decent arm who projects to be a reliever. I certainly would explore trading Duda and look at giving his job to Dykstra for the rest of 2014. Any way you cut it we need to find a new 1B for next season.

I don't think Lutz had any value either, but some people will say "But they could've gotten SOMETHING for him".  Sure they could've.  They could've gotten an equally unlikely-to-help piece at best, body-for-body.  Like I said, Lutz is an AAAA player (now helped greatly by the PCL) who occasionally gets call-ups and quickly shows why he's a AAAA player.

And yeah, I've always felt the long-term solution at first base isn't currently wearing a Met uniform or playing at Vegas.  Duda is exactly what I said he is...as long as there's bad teams in the league or teams in transition who need a first-base placeholder for a year or two, Duda will find employment in the majors.  He may even have an eye-friendly year or two that opens people's eyes (think .265 avg, .350 OB%, 30 HR, close to 100 RBI) if he stays healthy and gets a lot of playing time.  But the Mets can't upgrade over him fast enough.

I don't know what he'd bring back.  He's not really all that useful to a playoff team, because I think good pitchers have no trouble getting him out in big spots...I could see him doing next to nothing in the playoffs.  Yeah, if the Mets got back an unpolished arm with upside (like a lesser Vic Black) and some low A-ball middling prospect, I'd take it.  Duda may not be a very good major-leaguer, but he's shown he can play in the majors.      

He's just so lost right now

And then the Mets actually do manage to get 1st and 2nd. Tejada meekly grounds out on the first pitch

The Mets should be named Team Ambien.

I don't think Lutz had any value either, but some people will say "But they could've gotten SOMETHING for him".  Sure they could've.  They could've gotten an equally unlikely-to-help piece at best, body-for-body.  Like I said, Lutz is an AAAA player (now helped greatly by the PCL) who occasionally gets call-ups and quickly shows why he's a AAAA player.

And yeah, I've always felt the long-term solution at first base isn't currently wearing a Met uniform or playing at Vegas.  Duda is exactly what I said he is...as long as there's bad teams in the league or teams in transition who need a first-base placeholder for a year or two, Duda will find employment in the majors.  He may even have an eye-friendly year or two that opens people's eyes (think .265 avg, .350 OB%, 30 HR, close to 100 RBI) if he stays healthy and gets a lot of playing time.  But the Mets can't upgrade over him fast enough.

I don't know what he'd bring back.  He's not really all that useful to a playoff team, because I think good pitchers have no trouble getting him out in big spots...I could see him doing next to nothing in the playoffs.  Yeah, if the Mets got back an unpolished arm with upside (like a lesser Vic Black) and some low A-ball middling prospect, I'd take it.  Duda may not be a very good major-leaguer, but he's shown he can play in the majors.      

We really missed the boat with Jose Abreu. Could've solve 1B for us for a very long time. Ike/Duda would be a distant memory at this point.

Duda in the AL as a DH and sometimes 1b...in a park with a reasonable rightfield porch. He could thrive in that environment. Lucas Duda on the orioles for instance (not that they need him) he could thrive there and put up 25 HR.

Edited by '7'

1st and 2nd, 2out in the 10th...another chance to end it. Eric Campbell taps out to 3rd. And the 0-fer with men on base continues

Why the hell are we starting garbage like Eric Campbell. Look at how paper thing the talent is on this team. This is a bottom 5 roster. Just anemic. Pathetic. Unwatchable. They're not just unclutch they are so bereft of talent that they need to start offering minor league prices because right now the only major league hitter on this team is Dan Murphy and occasionally Abreu.

Just win it already Brewers. Put Wilpons bargain basement garbage out of its misery.

Looks to be about 5k in the stadium as well. Should be 0

I mean just look at this. Flores, Recker, Tejada, Campbell, Brown, Chris Young

How can the Mets not hit with RISP?

BECAUSE THERE IS sh!t UP AND DOWN THE LINEUP

If I was Wright I'd ask for a trade. Most of his career has been flushed down the toilet already

Edited by '7'

So the Mets load the bases in the bottom of the 11th with one out and don't score? YA DON'T SAY

top prospect Wilmer Flores gets a meatball down the middle from a gassed reliever and what happens. Little dribbler to 2nd. Flores is probably going to end up another bust. Just no clue what to do with room service fastballs

Unbelievable how many 90mph meatballs them miss.

And now Recker gets rung up on back to back low and inside pitches. Like he would've gotten a hit anyway...

Edited by '7'