Official 2014 New York Mets Thread

nmigliore

haha, that's great.

ah man this poor pitching staff. Done all it can. But betrayed by the Wilpons unwillingness or inability to spend on major league bats

I would seriously demote Flores for not getting that run in.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad the Mets fans are staying away in droves.  This is what you do when ownership and the front office repeatedly give you the finger...you give it right back to them the only way we can...by not paying to watch that dreck.  fvck Passive and fvck the Wilpons.   

Flores might be young, but if he's any good, I have yet to see it.

If Niese keeps this up, he really could have some serious deadline value...not saying I absolutely want to see him dealt, but his value may never be higher that will be on July 31, and he's been fragile in the past.  He's on pace to go over 200 IP for the first time in his career.  I don't blame him for being pissed yesterday (he's probably thinking "Look at this stammering amateur clown coming to get me"), but I have to be fair to TC...I'd rather see him err on the side of caution with his starting pitchers, and he's starting to do that.   

This gem from David (courtesy of ESPN):

Worse yet, Wright's answers Thursday suggested he's getting frustrated by Citi Field's dimensions.

"I have to do a better job, especially when I'm here, of getting on top of the ball and hitting line drives," he said.

Fine Dave...so what's your excuse for why your road numbers are worse (.771 OB+SLG home, .622 OB+SLG road)? 

Spoken like a true non-superstar.  Either trade him or find a couple of bats that will relegate Wright to where he belongs...pure complementary status. 

Colon with another terrific start.  Don't know how he does it, but he does.  Take out the three trainwreck starts and his ERA is in the 2.20s in his other 10 starts.  I'm really curious what the available starting pitching market is going to look like come July 31...if Gee ever comes back and pitches lights-out, the Mets could have as many as three starters that may appeal to contenders:  Niese, Colon, and Gee.  I can't see anyone wanting Wheeler for a stretch run at this point in his career (too much of a wild card, literally), and with the Mets headed toward irrelevance yet again, there's no reason not to see if he can figure himself out here.  Depending on how long he stays in rotation, even Dice K might draw mild interest as someone's Plan C depth move, but he's not bringing back anything that would matter.

Of course, it will help a LOT if Montero (who I'm definitely worried about at this point) or Syndergaard looks like he's ready to pitch in the majors by then.  And you're also banking on Harvey being Harvey again in 2015, deGrom continuing to be competitive at this level, and Wheeler improving and finding some consistency.  Trading Niese, Colon, or Gee will be risky, and Sandy has to get back someone who can help either immediately or very soon.  No moving any of them for bodies that might help in 2016 or 2017.   

Wheeler with one of his maddening outings, offense doing zilch.  Praying for the day the Wilponzis hire a real GM with in turn will hire a real manager and sign real players...if the Wilpons have any real money to do any of this.

Glad the Mets fans are staying away in droves.  This is what you do when ownership and the front office repeatedly give you the finger...you give it right back to them the only way we can...by not paying to watch that dreck.  fvck Passive and fvck the Wilpons.   

lol I only buy off StubHub when I do go anyway.  Though I used to get programs at the games I don't anymore, at least not these days.  Maybe the ShakeShack lines are less ridiculous now.  It is annoying to waste the time cause it's an all-day venture though.  I might have gotten a ticket for last night if not for the weather, but I don't really see myself going at this point cause when you have a two-day weekend spending almost half of it going to and from Citi is a time investment that this team really doesn't deserve atm.

And Sandy and I guess management/players had a sth function today, and when someone asked him about whether payroll was going to increase Sandy admitted he won't know until the end of the season :P (via Rubin tweets)

Edited by NJDevs4978

Sucks to have bad owners.  Not like they're the only bad ones in baseball, but still...

It really is sad what's happened to them. That's what happens when you have owners who don't prioritize winning. I'm not saying they should spend like the Yankees because they obviously can't. But what would have been the harm in signing Cruz over a stiff like Young? And they didn't have a backup plan if D'arnaud failed. The pen was set up to fail. At least they got rid of the dead weight.

Montero made his second Vegas start since being sent down...numbers don't look as bad as they could due to only 1 run being earned, but his two starts since being going back down aren't exactly screaming "recall":

8.1 IP, 13 H, 9 R, 4 ER, 6 BB, 8 K 

I get the feeling we're not going to be seeing him back here for a while, and that's OK.  I'd rather he get himself straightened out (something is clearly not right with him) than be rushed.  He's still only 23.   

Well maybe we got the answer now that he left tonight's start after five pitches.

The hits just keep on coming...

Supposedly it's a left-side injury, possible an oblique. 

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/mets/post/_/id/89188/montero-apparently-injured-departs-game

D21, as much as I can't stand the Wilpons, I blame Sandy more for this than anyone else.  The money he did have to spend, he couldn't have possibly spent any worse (though Colon is working out so far, but starting pitching wasn't really a major need for the Mets).  If he signed guys who were "sure" things, but then they faltered, I'd give him a pass...sometimes great "on paper" moves just backfire, but you can at least understand the thought process behind those moves.  But both Granderson and CY were incredibly questionable moves the second those contracts were inked.  A lot of people aren't surprised by how poorly both have played.  Granderson's numbers have actually been pretty good since April 29 (.281 BA, .393 OB%, 7 HR), but he's still not a guy you have much confidence in in big spots.  

Something has to be done about CY.  It's enough.  The guy sucks.  He's a .199 hitter since the start of 2013...that represents 156 games and 498 AB.  This year isn't isolated suckage.  Sometimes you admit you simply made a very bad mistake, and take care of that mistake.  The ONLY reason you keep a guy like CY around is because you're too cheap to do what's right.  He is not going to be here next season (he'd better not be), so there's no reason for him to be turning in useless AB after useless AB.  I can understand the Mets hanging onto him until Lagares is healthy enough to play, but at that point, get him out of here. 

Chris Young is so bad he might not even be in baseball next season. He has more K's than hits on the season

Would like to hear some word on Lagares. This team just died after he went out of the lineup. Flat out died

Really frustrating watching Kevin Quackenbush come on and groove two 90 mph fastballs down the middle of the plate to Wright who proceeds to foul both back, and then fly out on ball 4 up and away

Is he hurt? because right now he is absolutely terrible.

well. Baby steps. Guess it's nice to have a team worse than you in the building...so the mets were able to take 2 of 3. Great job by the pen piecing things together after Dice-K came down with the runs. Still atrocious with RISP but what else is new. Vic Black looked like he would implode there for a second...

Duda, who's looked awful with his range recently, made 2 nice stops in the 9th with Mejia working his second inning.

Granderson does well in the leadoff spot, but I don't think I want him there all that often. When he hits his HR's I want at least a chance for there to be runners on base.

Kind of hard to believe that the Mets are STILL only 5.5 games out of first.  They're one terrific run away from getting back into an NL East that can never seem to pull it together...all the more frustrating is that the run won't ever happen (and if it did, of course the Mets would follow it up with a six or seven game losing streak.  It's just what they do). 

Not sure why David Wright has to play every single day when he's in a slump like this.  The Mets have played 69 games and David's played in all of them.  Obviously he's the everyday third baseman...money, status, and the simple fact that there's no pheenom at 3rd in the Mets' system pretty much guarantees that.  But good Lord, how hard is it to sit him for one friggin' game?  The guy has done about as close to nothing as is possible for an everyday player...he's two for his last 39.  Maybe it won't do any good, but what the hell do you have to lose at this point?  Can he possibly do any WORSE? 

Montero officially diagnosed with a left oblique strain. 

Syndergaard is off the DL and will be starting tonight.  He'll be limited to 75 pitches.  Just hope he stays healthy enough and pitches well enough to get some time in the majors this season. 

Nice job by Torres yesterday, and he's been a pleasant surprise since he was called up last season, but it looks like he's starting to come back to earth.  He has a 1.54 WHIP this season, which usually doesn't bode well, in that his more respectable numbers (like his ERA) are probably going to take a hit soon.  Even with yesterday's solid appearance factored in, his numbers are rough lately (the 6/12 appearance does distort things a little...he was credited with one inning pitched and allowed seven hits):

7.1 IP, 17 H, 8 ER, 4 BB, 10 K   

Hard to believe that Eveland can possibly continue what he's done so far for long (though he's has a couple of decent stretches in the majors before), but the fact that he's given the Mets anything at all is a bonus.

Granderson is very quietly having a torrid month, and it's barely being noticed (by me included) for two reasons:  1)  the Mets continue to lose (5-9 in June), and 2) his overall numbers still look bad at a quick glance, though some are starting to look pretty good:  OB% is up to .346 (that's actually ABOVE his career .340 OB%), and he's on pace for 21 HR.  But his numbers for June are just as awesome so far as his April was brutal:  .375 BA, .471 OB%, .650 SLG, 1.121 OB+SLG.  His May was really about we could've realistically hoped for:  .253 BA, .373 OB%, .465 SLG, .838 OB+SLG. 

I think if you went up to most Met fans and posted Granderson's overall numbers since May 1, they'd be stunned:

40-for-139, .288 BA, .402 OB%, .518 SLG, .920 OB+SLG, 8 HR, 24 RBI

Think about it...if Granderson had started the season this way (or had even had had a simply bad April instead of a completely invisible one), we'd all be wetting our pants and talking about what a killer signing this was.  Unfortunately for Grandy, he's going to need another 30 days or so of performing at the above pace before anyone forgets April and is able to see the negative impact that month had on his numbers (and I am the first to admit that I'm as guilty of this as anyone else...I've been killing Granderson, and Sandy for signing him all season). 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

You guys have to read this. Its truly one of the craziest and most unlikely scenarios I've ever heard... But Evan and Joe were discussing it on WFAN today. It makes me think of 'Major League'... Except with this being real life, the Mets won't win it all like the Indians. :Phttp://www.heralddeparis.com/hoodwinked-are-the-wilpons-about-to-pull-off-the-ultimate-developers-dream/237510

I don't know how much I even want to read that article...seems like a lot of moving pieces that would have to fall into place and Selig isn't going to be around much longer to help Fred and Jeff.

btw lol at DeGrom batting #8 and EY batting #9 in the lineup.  Collins channeling his inner LaRussa.

Yikes.  Beyond kooky.  If anyone but Wilpons owned the Mets, I'd say this has a .000000000000000000000001% chance of happening.  But considering that those incompetents do indeed own the Mets, I upgrade the possibility to .000000001%. 

I don't know how much I even want to read that article...seems like a lot of moving pieces that would have to fall into place and Selig isn't going to be around much longer to help Fred and Jeff.

btw lol at DeGrom batting #8 and EY batting #9 in the lineup.  Collins channeling his inner LaRussa.

Always a sad day when EY gets ABs.  Someday the Mets will realize how awful he is. 

By all means TC, just keep throwing David Wright out there.  Heaven forbid you might pull your head out of your ass long enough to see that he's completely lost right now.  Sadly this isn't the first time in recent years that Wright has completely vanished when his team desperately needed him to step up. 

And man it's so frustrating watching a team like the Cardinals racking up the clutch hits. 

Syndergaard returned to the Vegas rotation last night...4 IP, 7 H, 4 ER, but did throw 73 pitches and I haven't seen anything to suggest that he had any physical issues.  It will probably be another start or two before we know if there's anything lingering. 

Zack Wheeler made his debut exactly one year ago tomorrow.  Sucks that just enough conspired against Syndergaard to prevent him from debuting around the same time this season.  I'm guessing unless Syndergaard really tears it up, we're not seeing him up here until late July-early August at the very earliest.  I'm starting to think we may not see him until late August-early September.  I'm actually OK with that, as long as he gets some starts up here before this season ends (even if it's only a handful). 

It's gotten ugly for deGrom in his last three starts:  15 IP, 26 H, 13 ER, 6 BB, 9 K, 7.80 ERA.  And he's 0-4 (the record clearly isn't all his fault...he pitched well enough to win at least three out of his first four starts).  I wonder how much patience the Mets will show with him.  If he has a couple more rough ones, does he get demoted to the bullpen or Vegas?  Gee (remember him?) is supposed to be back in the rotation in late June or early July.  If deGrom really gets banged up in his next start (if that happens, I'd start to worry about his confidence...an 0-5 record can't help a young pitcher feel terribly good about himself), they could send him back down to Vegas and have Eveland take his place until Gee is ready, though Eveland in the early going is doing a pretty nice Carlos Torres imitation (coming out of nowhere to stake a bullpen claim in the majors).   

Syndergaard returned to the Vegas rotation last night...4 IP, 7 H, 4 ER, but did throw 73 pitches and I haven't seen anything to suggest that he had any physical issues.  It will probably be another start or two before we know if there's anything lingering. 

Zack Wheeler made his debut exactly one year ago tomorrow.  Sucks that just enough conspired against Syndergaard to prevent him from debuting around the same time this season.  I'm guessing unless Syndergaard really tears it up, we're not seeing him up here until late July-early August at the very earliest.  I'm starting to think we may not see him until late August-early September.  I'm actually OK with that, as long as he gets some starts up here before this season ends (even if it's only a handful). 

It's gotten ugly for deGrom in his last three starts:  15 IP, 26 H, 13 ER, 6 BB, 9 K, 7.80 ERA.  And he's 0-4 (the record clearly isn't all his fault...he pitched well enough to win at least three out of his first four starts).  I wonder how much patience the Mets will show with him.  If he has a couple more rough ones, does he get demoted to the bullpen or Vegas?  Gee (remember him?) is supposed to be back in the rotation in late June or early July.  If deGrom really gets banged up in his next start (if that happens, I'd start to worry about his confidence...an 0-5 record can't help a young pitcher feel terribly good about himself), they could send him back down to Vegas and have Eveland take his place until Gee is ready, though Eveland in the early going is doing a pretty nice Carlos Torres imitation (coming out of nowhere to stake a bullpen claim in the majors).   

I think Wright might be hiding an injury at this point. Sometimes the guy tries a bit too hard. And it's extra hard for him to come out of slumps since there is absolutely tumbleweeds in the lineup next to him. Why throw him a fastball, why give hi,m anything to hit. What is the next guy in the lineup going to make you pay...or the guy after that? no and no

Yea they're starting to figure deGrom out a little. Doesn't seem like his pitches have all that much movement. velocity is there but too much of what he's been throwing of late is just straight. You're not fooling MLB hitters that way.

Man Lagares is taking forever to come back.

Not directing this at you '7', but I think a lot of Mets fans make one too many excuses for David Wright.  Since 2009, he really has not been that great, and has been prone to long and costly periods of invisibility.  Overall he has clearly NOT been awful since '09, but it seems like there's a contingent of Mets fans who want to tell you how great Wright is, but then make excuse after excuse for him when he's not playing great or even good.  They can't have it both ways.  But it's the same old sh!t...team sinks, he sinks.  God I hope the Mets find a Keith Hernandez-type...he came to a team in '83 that won just 68 games, but he did his thing and became a nice cornerstone to build around.   

It's easy to want to give Wright a pass for just about anything.  Lifelong Met fan and homegrown star, signed pretty much for the rest of his career and is all class.  Nobody knows he's letting the team down right now more than David.  Of course this organization's let him down plenty over the years too.

Not saying he's ever been a bad guy, and yeah, the Mets haven't exactly been gangbusters in building their team.  But he's not like he's been a shining star...like I said, lots of stretches of futility, often at the worst times.  Wright has shown time and time again he'll never be the first piece in leading a team to greener pastures.

I think the Mets should really explore trading him at this point. 

brilliant job terry batting the pitcher 8th again. 1st and 2nd, 2 out in the top of the 1st and Niese is up. That's just who you want up there in the 8 hole...a pitcher

Yeah I honestly thought he just did it because it was DeGrom last night (who's hit better than almost everyone else in our lineup sadly), I didn't think he'd actually do it again with a black hole hitting pitcher.

Edited by NJDevs4978