Official 2014 New York Mets Thread

nmigliore

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha she is, but I didn't mean it that way..... :P

Oh she's quite fine that way too, lol...

Same old Mets.  Can't make this stuff up.

Man this offense has just gone off a cliff. Can they get a god damn hit?

Why should we expect them to hit in a ballpark that's even more of a cavern than Citi :P

They really put cold water on their pre-ASB run fast.  I figured they'd crap out but I was hoping it wouldn't be THIS soon.  Oh well at least they can maybe do what they should be doing and trying to deal off guys.

4th straight pretty good start for Wheeler.  The BB on his record was intentional and Abreu pulling a Roger Dorn led Wheeler to allow one more hit than he should have. 

lol I've got to see this play now, what inning was it?  Abreu's always been scared of the wall though you're right, that was his rap when he was with the Phillies/Yankees.

Compared to some of the sh!t the Mets have shoveled down our throats the past however many years, I thought this loss was pretty benign.

I just hope it doesn't break their spines and they end up gagging up the entire trip.

The Padres are atrocious at the plate, but they can pitch. And sometimes the Mets look really really bad at the plate nomatter who is on the mound

Edited by '7'

lol I've got to see this play now, what inning was it?  Abreu's always been scared of the wall though you're right, that was his rap when he was with the Phillies/Yankees.

I think it was the fifth, on a high pop-up...Abreu isn't known for his speed obviously, and he took a while to get there, but if he dives, he probably makes the play.  He looked like he was afraid of the ball, but yeah, he's always been a bit of columns-filler who is known for being a major softie. 

Logan Verrett has been pretty good in his last 2 starts:  13 IP, 11 H, 4 ER, 4 BB, 5 K...not too bad for a guy who's given up 153 hits in 112 IP (like just about everyone else who pitches for a western team in the PCL, he probably can't get out of there fast enough).  Three out of his last five starts have been solid. 

Kind of amazing his ERA is only 4.58, considering the league he pitches in, and the number of hits he's allowed.  His FIP (4.07) is lower than his ERA, for what that's worth.  He's one of those guys I'm really curious about, as far as what he can do when he gets out of the PCL.  He's always had terrific control, and I like that fact that he hasn't let the PCL turn him into a tentative nibbler...with a 4.4 BB%, he's still clearly challenging hitters.     

The best thing that can happen is he gets a September callup, gets 3-4 starts and shows something, and makes himself valuable enough that he can be a part of a package for a bat.  I'm guessing Syndergaard is the one untouchable starting pitcher the Mets (in their eyes) have in the minors.  I think they'd prefer to keep deGrom as well...deGrom has done enough to pitch himself firmly into the Mets' plans.  They'd probably like to keep Matz too if at all possible...but let's face it, chances are we're going to be surprised at some of the names that will move.  It's going to be tough...as much as we love having all of this young pitching, Sandy going to have to part with a good chunk of it...no matter what kind of a deal he makes, or how good of a bat comes back, someone is going to get upset about which young arms get dealt.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Why should we expect them to hit in a ballpark that's even more of a cavern than Citi :P

They really put cold water on their pre-ASB run fast.  I figured they'd crap out but I was hoping it wouldn't be THIS soon.  Oh well at least they can maybe do what they should be doing and trying to deal off guys.

I expected this from the Mets.  That's what they do.  If they win 5 out of 7 the rest of the way, then I guess it's game on, but I don't trust this team, and I don't think Sandy should either.

I just hope Sandy isn't looking to hit a home run with Colon.  Just get as much of his money off the books as you can.  It would've been great if he could've stayed in a groove, but he didn't, so the expectations as to what kind of return he'll fetch have to be fair and realistic on Sandy's part. 

At this point, I'm really hoping Sandy wakes up long enough to deal Colon and Murphy.  Nothing against Murph, but he's still the same old Murph, and will always be.  2 BB drawn in his last 27 GP, and his OB% is now down to .336 after it was .371 on May 17.  At the end of the day, he's just too damned average overall, and right now he's at the top of his game...let someone else (over)pay him for his declining years and All-Star appearance.        

Colon is rocking an 85 ERA+ and owed $11 million next year. Sandy couldn't hit a double in trading in Colon if he tried, let alone a homerun. The peripherals are at least average, but I get the feeling the Mets will end up dealing him in August for crap while eating a small sum. 

Edited by nmigliore

Colon is rocking an 85 ERA+ and owed $11 million next year. Sandy couldn't hit a double in trading in Colon if he tried, let alone a homerun. The peripherals are at least average, but I get the feeling the Mets will end up dealing him in August for crap while eating a small sum. 

Sold, I'll take it.  Hopefully Sandy will too. 

BTW Colon's FIP is 3.58 and his xFIP is 3.72...I don't know what is considered league-average for these numbers, but at least they're lower than his ERA.  I guess now ERA+ trumps these other sabes? 

Sold, I'll take it.  Hopefully Sandy will too. 

BTW Colon's FIP is 3.58 and his xFIP is 3.72...I don't know what is considered league-average for these numbers, but at least they're lower than his ERA.  I guess now ERA+ trumps these other sabes? 

That's what I was referring to when I said "the peripherals are at least average." Once you adjust for the park and league, his FIP and xFIP are basically league average on the dot.

No, ERA+ doesn't trump them, but when we're talking about trade value, actual results are still very meaningful. Brandon McCarthy had pretty good peripherals (3.69 FIP, 2.92 xFIP) but horrible results (5.01 ERA) and was dealt for Vidal freakin' Nuno, and the D-Backs even ate half of his remaining 2014 salary in that deal. I'm not saying that's an apples to apples comparison, but you get the idea.

Obviously Cashman saw a good buy-low opportunity with McCarthy, so it's not like buyers are going to ignore Colon's FIP/xFIP... but from a trade leverage standpoint, it's going to be damn near impossible for Sandy to ask for much, and Colon's age/weight/remaining contract won't help either. 

Edited by nmigliore

But we never were expecting much in a return...how could we, really?  The contract and Colon's age and weight saw to that.  He's going to be someone's Plan B or Plan C deadline move, especially with the way he's been pitching lately.  Getting his money off next season's payroll would be the win, not what the Mets will get back in bodies.   

Poor Ike Davis...he's now basically lost his job to Gaby Sanchez...not that Sanchez is anything special, which means Ike will probably get more chances to play, but things are really falling fast for him in Pittsburgh.  I'm guessing if Pitt doesn't tender him (has to be a realistic possibility at this point), he might have to sign a somewhere with a chance to make the major-league team, but with no guarantees.  Based on the last two months (and two seasons beforehand with similar two months invisibility spells), I don't see how him being in the minors next season can't be a real possibility. 

Speaking of 1st basemen, here's a little blurb about why Allan Dykstra, despite some interesting minor-league numbers, remains a longshot to make the majors:

http://metsminorleagueblog.com/analysis/allan-dykstra-a-second-chance-and-an-unkind-history/

He's batting .280 on the season after an insane start (nothing special in the PCL, and he was hitting around .400 or so through the first 4-5 weeks)...he was going to have to do something monumental at the plate to get noticed (think .325+ at the plate, especially since he's supposed to be a butcher at first), even more so when you factor in his age (27).  Looks like a guy who can have a nice AAA career, but not much else.  Another Crash Davis. 

Haven't seen the game, figures a guy with nearly as many walks as strikeouts this season is no-hitting them. 

Oh well, at least Wheeler was apparently quite good based on his stat line. 

Mediocre return to AAA for Montero: 4 innings (was presumably on a pitch count), 1 ER, 3 BB, 3 K. Plawecki has been curiously absent for a few days.

Such an odd year for Montero.  Everything else is pretty much where it was last year (comparing his AAA numbers from last year to this), except for the walk%, which has not only gotten worse, but has gotten worse since this season has gone on:

2013 Vegas:  88.1 IP, 85 H, 35 R, 30 ER, 25 BB, 4 HR, 78 K, 6.9% BB (considered high for him at the time), 21.5 K%, 3.05 ERA, 3.24 FIP, .252 BAA

2014 Vegas:  54.1 IP, 48 H, 30 R, 22 ER, 27 BB, 3 HR, 52 K, 11.5% BB, 22.1 K%, 3.64 ERA, 4.01 FIP, .232 BAA 

He's the one guy I've kind of given up on getting called up.  I'm still hoping Syndergaard does...and Verrett to a lesser extent. 

They're putting any delusions they had about getting back into this thing to rest very quickly.  Hopefully Sandy's being awakened from his perpetual coma and will start to deal off players who don't fit into this team's plans long-term.  Dump Colon's salary.  See what the market will bear for Murph.  If the Mets didn't have guys coming through the system, I might keep Dice K for depth, but see if you can get someone to take him off your hands...though considering that he'll bring back next to nothing, there's probably not much harm in keeping him around for mop-up and to spell other bullpen arms.  Not too many pure untouchables here...really hope Sandy makes some things happen. 

Murph has his strong suits but man can he be a dope at times. Ackley with a double to score a run, and Murph makes a very ill advised cut off throw basically 3 feet over d'Arnauds head. Looks like he was aiming for the press box. You had no chance at the runner there...might as well tried to prevent the guy from going to third.

deGrom has been sensational again tonight. This is a bit arbitrary but his stat line since that rough start in St. Louis last month (includes tonight): 39.2 IP, 11 BB, 45 K, 1.59 ERA. Overall on the season, he's given up more than 3 runs just twice (6 in the aforementioned St. Louis game and 4 in Chicago on June 5th). And another nifty nugget, this one from Grantland/ESPN (why hello Collin McHugh!):

degrom-stats.png

Lucas Duda just hit one to Tacoma, by the way. Wow what a shot. 

Edited by nmigliore

Woo. The first Mets pitcher in 20 years to complete a throw to 2nd base...starts a twin killing and the Mets stop the bleeding

Play of the game to Lagares who did an amazing job tracking down a Chavez fly ball. A sure triple off the bat and he was actually slowing up when he caught it.

Duda also hit one to the moon.

Woo. The first Mets pitcher in 20 years to complete a throw to 2nd base...starts a twin killing and the Mets stop the bleeding

Play of the game to Lagares who did an amazing job tracking down a Chavez fly ball. A sure triple off the bat and he was actually slowing up when he caught it.

Duda also hit one to the moon.

Yeah, that was some catch. I'm not sure any other CF in baseball tracks down that ball. He hasn't hit much since returning from the DL but the glove makes him a must-start everyday. Anything he gives you with the bat is just gravy (and his overall numbers this season are actually pretty decent (104 OPS+), although very BABIP-inflated).

Edited by nmigliore

"Syndergaard's gotta come up I think - in part for his development, too. He's pitching well at Las Vegas; people are obsessing over the 6 ERA. Vegas is a horrible place to pitch - you know that, I'm saying that for the listeners just looking at the stat line - I mean I said he's having a great year and I have people coming after me on twitter: what? "no he has a 6 era in vegas" - it's like pitching on the surface of the moon. He's gonna be fine - he's striking guys out, not walking guys. Now thats a guy who gets downhill plane on his fastball, cause I have to get on a stepladder just to talk to him - so he can get on top of the ball, he's going to be fine. He could help the Mets very easily later this year and I think developmentally too: there's no reason to give him 120-130 innings in Vegas they might as well bring him up." (Keith Law on an ESPN Podcast)

Couldn't agree more with Keith. I'd bring him up when they (hopefully) dump Colon.

Edited by nmigliore

Certifiable brain damage by Terry letting Colon pitch to Miller when he was on 100 pitches and DONE. Guess he wants to lose this game. He had lost some miles off his fastball all inning. Terry didn't notice this?

Edited by '7'