Official 2014 New York Mets Thread

nmigliore

d'Arnaud continues to be a liability behind the plate. Can't throw the ball to 2nd, can't block a ball in the dirt. I really thought that was his strong suit

Niese collapses in the 5th. All the damage coming with 2 outs

Good to see Granderson start to come around though. Maybe he's finally regaining his strength post flu.

Edited by '7'

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Niese probably gets out of that inning unscathed if Lagares is playing CF -- the ball that dropped in front of CY to start that inning is a catch Lagares makes in his sleep.

Met offense has been absolutely brutal the past week: .168/.252/.236 and they've scored 3 or fewer runs in 8 consecutive games. It's kind of amazing they have a shot at coming home with a .500 road trip.

Edited by nmigliore

Niese probably gets out of that inning unscathed if Lagares is playing CF -- the ball that dropped in front of CY to start that inning is a catch Lagares makes in his sleep.

Met offense has been absolutely brutal the past week: .168/.252/.236 and they've scored 3 or fewer runs in 8 consecutive games. It's kind of amazing they have a shot at coming home with a .500 road trip.

I remember that. Thought CY could've given it a better effort. No doubt Lagares catches it, but CY should've dove or slid. It only dropped like 4 feet in front of him

What a moronic decision by Terry abusing deGrom like this. And of course David leads off with a single (on a ball Wright has to field, his range is so awful)

boom, another single. Nice going Terry. Go chew on your pen cap some more.

Considering how this team still can't score a damn run...a 5-5 road trip, especially after 7 games against 2 good teams (after 1-2 against the bad Padres) is actually pretty damn good. Many times the Mets have embarked on the same trip and ended up 2-8...3-7. 5-5 I would've signed for after the All Star Break.

Maybe Syndergaard pitches his way out of Vegas in 2014 after all. I can dream.

deGrom has now allowed 7 ER in his last seven starts, only 2 ER in his last four. Terry Collins is still an amateur masquerading as a pro.

Looks like nmig is fully on board the Duda bandwagon now, lol.

5-5 road trip...impossible not to be pretty happy with that, really. Mets did a pretty good job to go 4-3 after dropping two out of three to SD.

Hey, I was the one consistently defending Duda in the offseason when we were talking about him vs Ike. I did prefer Ike very slightly, I'll be honest there, but I largely didn't have a strong preference because, statistically, they were basically the same player up until this season. But even the most ardent Duda supporters couldn't have seen this coming, that's for sure. I'm not betting on him to keep up the .350+ OBP while slugging .500+ but he has plenty of room to regress from there and still be very good, and like I said the other day, his improvements are largely in believable/sustainable things instead of, say, a BABIP spike. 

Edited by nmigliore

The new top 100 prospects list was just released. Some grumblings from Mets fans that Dilson Herrera was seriously jobbed.

but 5 Met did make it in the top 100

1.  Noah Syndergaard (13)
2.  Kevin Plawecki (67)
3.  Brandon Nimmo (68)
4.  Michael Conforto (86)
5.  Dom Smith (88)

Hey, I was the one consistently defending Duda in the offseason when we were talking about him vs Ike. I did prefer Ike very slightly, I'll be honest there, but I largely didn't have a strong preference because, statistically, they were basically the same player up until this season. But even the most ardent Duda supporters couldn't have seen this coming, that's for sure. I'm not betting on him to keep up the .350+ OBP while slugging .500+ but he has plenty of room to regress from there and still be very good, and like I said the other day, his improvements are largely in believable/sustainable things instead of, say, a BABIP spike.

This is fair...the "LUCAS DUDA BITCHES" thing almost has a "I told you so" feel to it, as though you knew this was coming. Like I've said, he can't go back to being the Duda of 2012-13, but if he plays pretty well through the end of 2014, I'll give him 2015 to prove that this isn't a fluke.

This is fair...the "LUCAS DUDA BITCHES" thing almost has a "I told you so" feel to it, as though you knew this was coming. Like I've said, he can't go back to being the Duda of 2012-13, but if he plays pretty well through the end of 2014, I'll give him 2015 to prove that this isn't a fluke.

Not at all, it's just excitement, probably worded really stupidly. 

nmig, by all means, keep up the "Lucas Duda bitches!"  It seems to be working!  Whatever it takes...

Francesa reporting that the Phillies will make Cole Hamels available.  The Colon market (if it even exists) just got murkier.  Good news is he'll probably still be able to be moved by the August 31 deadline.  Doesn't necessarily have to happen now (though it'd be nice to see a spot open up for a Vegas arm). 

nmig, by all means, keep up the "Lucas Duda bitches!"  It seems to be working!  Whatever it takes...

Francesa reporting that the Phillies will make Cole Hamels available.  The Colon market (if it even exists) just got murkier.  Good news is he'll probably still be able to be moved by the August 31 deadline.  Doesn't necessarily have to happen now (though it'd be nice to see a spot open up for a Vegas arm). 

Turning the pre game Gary mentioned "Reading the tea leaves, it doesn't look like Colon will get traded/Mets will do much at the deadline"

I was in another room when he said it but that's pretty close to his exact quote

Not good. No reason to keep that bloated salary around any longer. We're not contending this year and can get a pretty good piece for him. Could be just a smokescreen, but he really needs to be traded and Noah brought up.

'7', his bloated salary is the reason he DOESN'T have much value, especially if younger/cheaper names are available.  No one wants to pay him $11 million next season...everyone's kind of waiting for the clock to strike midnight with Colon.  You're dreaming if you think the Mets will get much back for him.  I think what you hope for now is that he has a strong August and his being dealt is re-visited then...there shouldn't be as many names on the market by that time. 

The Mets have until the end of August to move Colon; nobody is going put in a waiver claim with the intention of blocking him next month, not with $11 million due to him next season. 

The one thing I don't want to see with Colon is the Mets having to eat a X amount of dollars and getting crap in return. I'm on board with trading him and using his salary to address other another hole(s) next season, but I think there does come a point where you have to ask if it's worth eating a few million and still getting junk back versus keeping him as your #4 or #5 entering next season (especially given pitcher attrition rates).

Edited by nmigliore

Agree with above.  Mets shouldn't eat much more than $2 mil.  It's not like Colon sucks...overall his numbers are decent, and as we've seen the last couple of seasons, he IS capable of getting on a roll.  I still wouldn't expect much in return, but I agree that if the Mets are going to be asked to pay a significant part of his remaining money AND get zilch back in a deal, then they might as well keep him around...if he pitches well the next two months, one year/$11 million might not look so bad to starter-starved teams where $11 million isn't really that much money.  It's pretty obvious from Sandy's quotes that he's not just going to give Colon away anyway, or get hoodwinked into eating a lot of Colon's coin.

Anyway, re:  Colon's blocking Syndergaard or another AAA arm this season (admittedly a concern of mine), Joe and Evan brought up some fair points: 

1) deGrom will probably get shut down before season's end (he's thrown 125.1 IP this season between AAA and the majors).  I'd rather that than see him moved to the bullpen, though I still think the babying of arms that goes on is ridiculous.  But that opens up a spot.

2) Mets can always go to a 6-man anytime they want, which could delay the date they shut down deGrom (not by much though), and could potentially open up two spots, which means any two of Syndergaard, Montero, or Verrett would be able to get some time up with the Mets...of course, the domino effect would open up some spots in AAA too, though I'm not sure who is an obvious promotion candidate from Binghamton...Matz has been pretty good at AA, but not awesome, and the only other guy who looks like he might be ready is Tyler Pill (decent numbers, nothing great).  Another starter, Greg Peavy, seems to be stuck between AA (he's been great there) and AAA (where he's been awful), and he's getting up there in age to boot (already 26).  Reliever Jack Leathersich seems to have the same problem, as he was beyond awful in Vegas last season, but has been very good in AA. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Turning the pre game Gary mentioned "Reading the tea leaves, it doesn't look like Colon will get traded/Mets will do much at the deadline"

I was in another room when he said it but that's pretty close to his exact quote

Not good. No reason to keep that bloated salary around any longer. We're not contending this year and can get a pretty good piece for him. Could be just a smokescreen, but he really needs to be traded and Noah brought up.

'Reading the tea leaves' meaning going by Sandy's quote that he doesn't expect a trade :P

The Mets have until the end of August to move Colon; nobody is going put in a waiver claim with the intention of blocking him next month, not with $11 million due to him next season. 

The one thing I don't want to see with Colon is the Mets having to eat a X amount of dollars and getting crap in return. I'm on board with trading him and using his salary to address other another hole(s) next season, but I think there does come a point where you have to ask if it's worth eating a few million and still getting junk back versus keeping him as your #4 or #5 entering next season (especially given pitcher attrition rates).

It wouldn't even be the end of the world if they don't move Colon till the offseason unless (and this is a big risk for a 41-year old) he gets hurt or his stuff goes to **** before then.  That's the main reason there's a certain amount of urgency to move him, but Sandy's shown in the past he's very...deliberate before making a trade.

Plawecki finally returned to the Vegas' lineup last night, and with a couple hits, after being diagnosed with vertigo. Nice to see him back.

nmig, this guy was a little before your time, but have you ever heard of Nick Esasky?  Vertigo basically ruined his career:

http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20114741,00.html

As the article states, it took a long time before he was accurately diagnosed...his sudden disappearance as a ballplayer was baffling to everyone. 

Chris Young sucks.  Really really sucks.  But at least he keeps getting chances to prove it, in case we didn't already know.  Not like there's a plethora of better options though...bleech.

13th error for Murph.  He can make you crazy sometimes.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976