Official 2014 New York Mets Thread

nmigliore

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I proposed the idea of selling high not too long ago but to be fair, I don't think he had that much value; too injury prone, below average velocity, and the underlying numbers showed a pitcher was who getting by mostly on lucky breaks. Teams aren't that stupid.

Edited by nmigliore

I agree. I really hope Sandy doesn't try to sell us on Tejada's hitting-front-of-the-pitcher-inflated OBP. His AVG and SLG are horrendous. He's still been one of the worst hitting SS despite that inflated OBP as well.

11 intentional walks for Tejada this season, and it's like I've said...the best thing that can be said for him is that he hasn't been a complete disaster (think .200ish BA/under .300 OBP). 

As for Gee...I'm done with both Niese and Gee, though if the Mets want to keep one of them around to be the 5th guy, fine. 

Duda just got ejected, apparently. SNY cut it off right before it happened.

Edit: Make it TC. 

What did Amateur get tossed for?

TC was right for arguing. Clown ump called a strike 3 on Duda that was literally shoetops.

Duda I don't think can raise his voice above a whisper so I wouldn't think he could ever get ejected

Edited by '7'

Geez '7', that was a bit much (the AIDS comment).  Understand the frustration though.

Now that the Mets predictably came up small in a series where they could have made some kind of statement, certain things need to happen:

1) Enough with Tejada.  Give Flores a month.  Yeah, he could conceivably play worse initially than Tejada, but there's no upside with Tejada.  Thanks for being a better stopgap than we had any right to expect Ruben, but it's over.

2) Go to a 6-man rotation and bring up Syndergaard.  He's been pitching better lately at AAA.  This will hopefully keep deGrom from getting shut down too early (he's at 132.2 IP total for his season with a rumored shutdown limit of 180-185).  It'd be nice for Noah to get a look and to get out of Vegas.  Sadly there's not going to be much room for other young arms, like Montero and Verrett...I may not be crazy about Niese and Gee these days, but they haven't been so bad that they lose their rotation spots.  If deGrom gets shutdown in mid-September, give his remaining spots to Montero (if he pitches well enough to earn it). 

3) Shut down Wright if his shoulder is to blame for his woes.  He is having an even worse season than 2011, which just about everyone except nmig realized was a pretty rough year for David.  In 2012 and 2013, he at least showed some flashes of the 2005-08 Wright.  I know he's never been a 'roid guy and I'm about as positive as I can be that he never dabbled with that stuff, so I'm not accusing him of anything at all...I'm just saying this for comparison's sake...but he almost looks like a former juicer who has lost his power.  The problem of course becomes who plays third base?  Eric Campell has a .932 fielding% in the minors at 3B, and if we're trying to find out if Flores can play SS, how can the Mets play him at third for an extended stretch? 

4) Glad to see Abreu go...it was time.  Though I hate the idea, I guess you can play CY daily, and hope against hope that he actually does something, then get someone who might want depth and a little power off the bench to trade for him.  The Mets will get next to nothing back and will probably have to eat some of his remaining money, but if the Mets save $500k or so in September in not having to pay him, why not?  Might as well get Eric Campbell some ABs...I'd rather see him than CY or EY.          

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Re:  Familia and Mejia, they were due for less-than-stellar outings.  Mejia is a bit of a concern though...he's been pretty consistent in giving up hits since moving to the bullpen:

34 IP, 34 H, 11 R, 8 ER, 14 BB, 36 K, 1.41 WHIP, 2.12 ERA, 16-for-18 in save opportunities.

And the hits allowed are going up...14 in his last 10.1 IP.  And he's not like Colon in that he never walks guys...he gives up BBs too.  You can only keep escaping trouble for so long...a 1.41 WHIP is an unseemly number for a closer.  Mejia is learning on the job here, so I'm not saying he's doomed to fail, but I wouldn't be surprised if he had some blown ones soon.   

Not that there is anything wrong with it, but the Abreu DFA does nothing for me. Regardless of how the playing time is divided up from here, the Youngs stink and Kirk is really not any more part of the team's future than Abreu is -- he's in his last option year, which means he's pretty close to DFA territory too. I don't think den Dekker is any better, hell he might even be worse, but I wouldn't have minded bringing him up, he was really hot in June/July. Even if they dump CY from here, whatever they do in LF will remain a disaster. They need outside help and that won't come until (maybe) the winter.

Edited by nmigliore

Not that there is anything wrong with it, but the Abreu DFA does nothing for me. Regardless of how the playing time is divided up from here, the Youngs stink and Kirk is really not any more part of the team's future than Abreu is -- he's in his last option year, which means he's pretty close to DFA territory too. I don't think den Dekker is any better, hell he might even be worse, but I wouldn't have minded bringing him up, he was really hot in June/July. Even if they dump CY from here, whatever they do in LF will remain a disaster. They need outside help and that won't come until (maybe) the winter.

It's true that whatever bodies that take Abreu's playing time won't be much better, but I don't need to see a washed-up chubby 40-year-old go 5-for-44.  There was no hope there, none.   

Terrific outing for Logan Verrett last night:  8 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 3 BB, 7 K.  His main problem lately is that he's been giving up home runs (8 in his last 6 starts), but his numbers have been pretty good in his last five...he's given up 169 hits in 132 IP overall, but he's starting to show signs of improvement in that regard over the five starts:

33 IP, 26 H, 14 ER, 7 HR, 10 BB, 24 K, 3.81 ERA 

He continues not to walk guys (only 28 in his 132 IP...less than 2 per 9 IP).  Definitely not a big strikeout type though (94 on the season).

His numbers are hard to read...his season ERA (4.57) isn't terrible for the PCL and for a guy who has a 1.49 WHIP, and he's given up 15 unearned runs, which shows he hasn't exactly been blessed with great defense.  Hitters also have a .360 BABIP against him this season, which means he also hasn't had the best luck. 

Another guy I'd like to see get out of the PCL ASAP, just to see what he could do in a more "normal" environment. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

This is the Zack that can drive you crazy.  Awful inning.  And d'Arnuad really needs to learn how to improve his behind-the-plate defense.