Official 2014 New York Mets Thread

nmigliore

Look, I hope Cuddyer works out, but the leadership probably isn't coming from Cuddyer, and it's definitely not coming from Granderson or Wright (you can't build your identity around a loser). I think it's gotta come from the young pitching...guys like Harvey and deGrom who don't want any part of the suckage that came before them. Those guys are the ones that can end losing streaks in a hurry.

fair enough, I think both granderson and cuddyer are fine 5-6 hitters on a playoff team. Add on the fact that they both know what it takes to get to the playoffs and their contracts are not unbearable. We now have 5 guys with playoff experience- those 2 plus wright, colon and EY.

I disagree with pitchers being clubhouse leaders because it's difficult to be that if you're not an everyday player.

Again I certainly don't think cuddyer puts us over the top but it's a step in the right direction and it allows use to use our prospects for other needs.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fair enough, I think both granderson and cuddyer are fine 5-6 hitters on a playoff team. Add on the fact that they both know what it takes to get to the playoffs and their contracts are not unbearable. We now have 5 guys with playoff experience- those 2 plus wright, colon and EY.

I disagree with pitchers being clubhouse leaders because it's difficult to be that if you're not an everyday player.

Again I certainly don't think cuddyer puts us over the top but it's a step in the right direction and it allows use to use our prospects for other needs.

Think you're making too much of intangibles here (and that's assuming Granderson and Cuddyer even have any).  2014 Granderson is a pretty bad 5th-place hitter (and let's face it, Yankee Stadium did wonders for his numbers).  I'm hopeful that Cuddyer can stay healthy...I'm not expecting him to put up Colorado numbers, but I'll take numbers somewhere around his career averages. 

Matt Harvey has something...he doesn't always come off the right way, but he seems like someone who's not afraid to call the franchise out on their nonsense, and who wants the ball in the big game.  Mets have needed a guy like that for a while.  Tom Seaver was very much a leader back in the old days, so I don't think it's impossible for a starting pitcher to take on that role (or for a few starting pitchers to be leaders by committee).  I just know the Mets can't look to Wright to be their leader...the idea that he can be that guy is a complete farce.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

• 2 weeks later...

Billy Beane sees something in Ike Davis (as we know, he has turned into a solid OB% guy...we also know about his power disappearance and other warts):

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/11926341/oakland-acquire-ike-davis-pittsburgh-pirates-fill-1b-spot

Haven't heard squat about the Mets of course, but I'm not surprised...they weren't going to spend tons of coin on Ramirez types.  We'll see what happens after the Winter Meetings. 

• 2 weeks later...

Good news everyone!  < /futurama >

Eric Young Jr. non-tendered by the Mets.  Source

Well, it took Sandy one year longer to figure out what Met fans already knew.  That Eric Young isn't good.

That being said, it's a shame he isn't better, because once he gets on the basepaths, he can make things happen, and for someone who isn't a full-time player and sucks at getting on base, he steals a lot of bases.  But like the old saying goes...you can't steal first.  And EY can't hit and simply can't get on base enough. 

What I hope happens at the winter meetings:

Mets are close to getting a real SS by the time they conclude.  I won't mind if Murph is traded if the offer is right, but that can wait until some point during the season.  I just don't want him to signed to a long-term deal...he's not good enough, especially for a team that has limited resources.

What I fear will happen:

Sandy will say there was "lots of dialogue", but nothing is imminent...a few days later, this will be followed by "Well, we tried, but there was just nothing there".  Mets start trying to sell us on Flores as the Opening Day SS. 

Prove me wrong Sandy...sorry, an injury-prone aging OF who isn't good in the field is not a signal to Met fans that "Hey, we're ready to contend now!" 

What I fear will happen:

Sandy will say there was "lots of dialogue", but nothing is imminent...a few days later, this will be followed by "Well, we tried, but there was just nothing there".  Mets start trying to sell us on Flores as the Opening Day SS. 

Prove me wrong Sandy...sorry, an injury-prone aging OF who isn't good in the field is not a signal to Met fans that "Hey, we're ready to contend now!" 

Yep...knew it:

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/sandy-alderson-says-mets-trade-possibilities-for-a-shortstop-increasingly-limited-1.9698793

Alderson reiterated that he's "reasonably comfortable" beginning the season with Flores alongside second baseman Daniel Murphy, even though both have defensive limitations.

"We've had conversations but not extensive conversations," said Alderson, who has made no secret of the Mets' desire to trade a veteran starter before spring training. "So I think if anything's going to happen, there's still work to do, so I think those rumors are premature."

Same old Passive. 

It's not even that Passive is completely wrong (the SS market isn't great right now)...it's just that even if someone WAS available at short who could help the Mets, there'd be a million excuses why Sandy couldn't bring him in.

Flores starting the season at short is a complete farce.  He was considered to be a such a poor SS in the minors that the Mets moved him from the position.  Exactly what has happened that Flores is now a viable candidate to be an everyday SS at the major-league level? 

Oh, and there's this:

Alderson played down the notion of having Ruben Tejada compete with Flores for the shortstop job, one day after manager Terry Collins raised the possibility.

And from this article:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/sandy-alderson-mets-ss-article-1.2040057

“I guess conceptually it’s a possibility,” Alderson said carefully. “They’ll both be there.”

Why is this scenario even being discussed as a possibility?  How in God's name can Tejada be a part of the Mets' plans at all?  This is the kind of player the Mets are supposed to be moving on from.

I'm sorry, and maybe it's too early to say this, but this is a team that is clearly content with taking a baby step this season.  Looks like they're going to hope for the best with all of the young starting pitching, hope that David Wright has a bounceback year, hope Duda wasn't a one-year wonder and hope young guys like Lagares and d'Arnaud continue to improve.  The "big" offseason move was Cuddyer...wow.  Mark Reynolds might force his way into the picture with a big spring...as we well know, due to the AAA team being in Vegas, he'll probably have an eye-friendly year if he goes back there, so it'll be hard to know how good he can be until he's a full-time Met. 

But this is not the kind of off-season you have if you're really serious about contending.  This isn't the outright punt we've gotten used to, but it's clear that 82-86 wins or so is good enough for the Mets in 2015.  Guess it's all about 2016. 

If this was a couple other sports teams I root for I wouldn't assume transparency...but with the Mets it's near impossible not to believe Sandy is being truthful, especially with the Mets' recent history.

Shortstop has been a sore spot since Reyes became too expensive for them and they just continue to make it worse with negligence. I'd probably settle for even a good glove guy who can't hit, like the guy the Yankees traded for. I don't care how much you move the fences in, the Mets have to build around pitching and defense. Flores and Tejada don't help there.

I don't know whether Sandy's content with baby steps ('meaningful games in September') or if he's just delusional enough to believe Cuddyer was all the team needed - the 90 wins comment in 'private' last year suggests delusional.

Sandy just seems like a guy who doesn't try terribly hard and is borderline passionless about his job. 

If I'm attempting to read Sandy's mind, I think he sees the return of Harvey as being similar to signing a big free-agent starter, and assumes that just about every bat in the lineup will improve over last year's performances.  He's also assuming Zack will get better, and may be counting on Syndergaard being ready at some point during the season.  I'm not asking for $150 million over 7 years-type signings, but don't go into spring training with the SS position being a "battle" between Flores and Tejada.  That's chicken-sh&#33;t thinking, and with this staff, the Mets need a glove there (even if the bat is meh-ish).   

Well for what it's worth the Mets are supposedly sniffing around on that Korean SS prospect (Kang) big leg kick, generates power. His swing looks like a d'Arnaud swing on steroids. He hasn't been posted yet

Jed Lowrie is out there (pursued by the Astros) I wouldn't mind giving him 3 years at 30 years old. But not 4 years. I'm not so hot on Asdrubel Cabrera but he's out there as well.

Edited by '7'

When it comes to the Korean kid, I can't see the Mets doing more than sniffing around.  They'll never out-post the highest bidder.  On that one, I can't say I would blame them much...it's a big risk (we have no idea how he'll fare against major-league pitching), and with what he'll cost, if he doesn't work out, it could be crippling to the Mets' flexibility.  Even if he goes to another team and tears it up, I wouldn't kill the Mets for not going for it.

Big dropoff for Lowrie last season over 2013.  There's worse ways to go, but I'd be stunned if the Mets coughed up $30 million over three years for him.  I think Cuddyer is the only player the Mets were willing to cough up $10 million per year for.  Maybe they'll take on an existing contract, but I think any offseason FA contracts are going to be low-cost "bargain" deals.  Basically business as usual.  

When it comes to the Korean kid, I can't see the Mets doing more than sniffing around.  They'll never out-post the highest bidder.  On that one, I can't say I would blame them much...it's a big risk (we have no idea how he'll fare against major-league pitching), and with what he'll cost, if he doesn't work out, it could be crippling to the Mets' flexibility.  Even if he goes to another team and tears it up, I wouldn't kill the Mets for not going for it.

Big dropoff for Lowrie last season over 2013.  There's worse ways to go, but I'd be stunned if the Mets coughed up $30 million over three years for him.  I think Cuddyer is the only player the Mets were willing to cough up $10 million per year for.  Maybe they'll take on an existing contract, but I think any offseason FA contracts are going to be low-cost "bargain" deals.  Basically business as usual.  

I'm shocked at how fast they jumped in on Cuddyer too. It almost seems like a favor to Wright to have his buddy here after David has suffered through one miserable injury plagued no-lineup protection canyon ballpark season after another.

fwiw the Mets just signed John Mayberry Jr. To me he just looks like a 5th outfielder. Some pop. Doesn't make good contact. Not even a guarantee to make the team imho. Can play 4 positions though

Edited by '7'

Mayberry Jr. is exactly the kind of move I would expect Sandy to make.  Probably a couple more of these types of moves coming, then Sandy will call it an offseason.  I think the SS position is going to be an open competition among Flores, Reynolds, and (inexcusably) Tejada. 

I think Cuddyer was a combo of many things...Wright's situation factored in, but I think Sandy was trying to appear proactive...sadly, in Metland, a signing like Cuddyer is an exclamation point move to them. 

I thought the Mets were going to try to do enough to be a 90-win team, but they're not.  They could still win 90, but it's going to have to come from within.  I've already listed what Sandy is banking on for the Mets to have a chance at that. 

I'm shocked at how fast they jumped in on Cuddyer too. It almost seems like a favor to Wright to have his buddy here after David has suffered through one miserable injury plagued no-lineup protection canyon ballpark season after another.

fwiw the Mets just signed John Mayberry Jr. To me he just looks like a 5th outfielder. Some pop. Doesn't make good contact. Not even a guarantee to make the team imho. Can play 4 positions though

Can Mayberry really be any worse than most of the crap we had on the bench last year?  Sounds like they're close to moving Gee but nothing's happened yet.

The Mets' problem right now with doing nothing is other NL teams that they didn't neccesarily have to jump over last year have improved infinitely more than them (the Cubs, heck even the Marlins are on one of their binge spending sprees)

Look, I think Sandy is about as passive and lazy of a GM as there is, but what big move is really out there for them?  They don't need a front-line starting pitcher.  I'm not in love with the Cuddyer signing, but on paper, he does address a need.  I've got to think Granderson is untradeable with his contract (or will simply bring back another lousy one).  Wright's contract is an albatross.  I do think Sandy needs to address the SS situation, and I'm going to be pissed when he doesn't...but I have to admit it, I'd be scared if he went all-in on Tulowitzki...that's the kind of contract the Mets simply can't risk taking on.  Troy's best years are already behind him.

Anyway, the winter meetings went about as I expected...Sandy basically doing nothing.  I'm hoping some mid-tier moves are coming, and I'm curious to see what Gee brings back, because it sure seems like Sandy is intent on moving him.

Has, the card Sandy is playing is that the players on the team will improve from last season, and that Harvey is basically the equivalent of signing a FA.  He doesn't think the team needs much improving because the improvement is already built-in.  If that doesn't happen, a lot of Met fans are going to be furious.

Mayberry makes sense; he has good career numbers vs LHP and should play the OF with Cuddyer at 1B when the Mets face a LHP.

The SS situation is really depressing. I know I'm a broken record but I wish we had the money (thanks Wilpons) and balls (thanks Sandy) to go for Tulo. Realistically, of what's left, excluding trades, I like Jed Lowrie most. He's on the wrong side of 30, is coming off a down year, and has notably had injury issues in the past but I have the most confidence in him being decent. Kang sounds somewhat interesting. Asdrubal Cabrera is really more of a 2B or 3B now and I don't even want to hear about Stephen Drew.

I'm guessing we'll add some marginal SS upgrade (think Drew on a pillow deal), a reliever and small pieces via a Gee trade and then go into full hype mode (if we haven't already): the young pitching, yadda yadda yadda, how certain players should be better (while ignoring the regression candidates that outnumber them), yadda yadda yadda, the return of Harvey ("It's like adding an ace!" said Omar Minaya Sandy Alderson), yadda yadda yadda.....

Mark Simon of ESPN -- who you should really read, plus he's a Mets fan -- put it great the other day: the Mets, at the end of the offseason, should be saying 'we added ____ and Michael Cuddyer' not 'we added Michael Cuddyer and ____.' 

Edited by nmigliore

Hard not to sound like a broken record, re:  the Mets.

I'm just so tired of Sandy and Sandy-speak...all the fancy ways he comes up with of basically saying "Yep, I'm still not really going to do sh!t, or even attempt to try to come up with creative ways to improve the team."  He really has done next to nothing since coming here.  Two trades where he was extremely lucky that both players (Beltran and Dickey) performed well enough that both had terrific value at the time they were dealt.  Then a lot of meh-to-poor player acquisitions (and what-the-hell scrap-heap signings) and the slow implementation of talent of guys who were drafted before Sandy became the GM.

Maybe if this team is contending near the deadline, that's when Sandy actually goes all-in and does something of real significance.  But I can't say I won't be surprised to see Mr. Meek saying how there was lots of discussion, but nothing was ever close, blah blah blah.

No to Drew...that's exactly the kind of signing that would show to me that the Mets aren't that serious about 2015.

Lowrie gone:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/12033586/jed-lowrie-reaches-agreement-houston-astros-three-year-contract

Really hard to think that someone from outside the organization will be playing short next season.  Basically we've got a low-average singles hitter/average-at-best fielder (Tejada), a guy who suddenly is good enough (in the Mets' frugal eyes) in Flores to play the position at the major-league level and is unproven with his bat, and a who-really-knows with Matt Reynolds.  I know I shouldn't be all that shocked by this...but it still blows.  Just feels like Sandy isn't even trying (is he ever?).  

And now the Mets are 'unlikely' to put in a bid for Kang...what a surprise.

I can't really kill them on this...when you don't have money to spend (and the Wilpons clearly don't, if Cuddyer is going to be the big offseason move), you can't afford to make too many mistakes (Sandy has already made one big one in Granderson).  They got burned once with Matsui.  If Kang turns out to be a guy who doesn't play well in the majors, it could really cripple the Mets. 

That being said, not like I haven't made how I feel about Sandy any big secret.  You can be cheap as long as you're still showing some creativity and trying to do something.  Sandy just seems to be defeated 100% of the time.  One of the worst GMs in the game.

I can't really kill them on this...when you don't have money to spend (and the Wilpons clearly don't, if Cuddyer is going to be the big offseason move), you can't afford to make too many mistakes (Sandy has already made one big one in Granderson).  They got burned once with Matsui.  If Kang turns out to be a guy who doesn't play well in the majors, it could really cripple the Mets. 

That being said, not like I haven't made how I feel about Sandy any big secret.  You can be cheap as long as you're still showing some creativity and trying to do something.  Sandy just seems to be defeated 100% of the time.  One of the worst GMs in the game.

They were burned by Matsui...who then actually turned into a pretty good ballplayer for Houston and Col :doh1: albeit very briefly

Pitt wins the bid-to-negotiate war for the Korean SS. Just over $5 mil. Bid wound up being not too bad, but I still consider going for him a risk. Still don't blame the Mets for not going this route.

• 4 weeks later...