Two Interesting Articles on Deboer

CaptainRafalski

Found these over at HF Boards:

DeBoer, The Tyrant And Locker Room Terror Nobody Sees

Florida Panthers Fire Head Coach Peter DeBoer After 2010-2011 Season

The first talks about how he treats young players.  One of my biggest complaints is how he continues to bury the young guys in favor of the old vets.  

The second talks about his firing from the Panthers.  Ironically they had enough with his constant line juggling and inability to hold leads.

Is it me, or does it seem like he's on his way out? He's being villanized so much, it just feels like the end is near. Also, kind of surprising to hear that he's rough on younger players. That's either one player with some kind of agenda against PDB, or the emotionless robot we see on the bench transforms like the Hulk when he's in the dressing room

Edited by cgb6397

Articles are nothing special, really.  Could've been anyone on here writing articles like that. 

If Lou thinks PDB's the problem, he'll let him go.  I think he gets until the end of the season though, but if they lose the next two games and go into the Olympic break 23-23-13...guess I wouldn't be completely surprised.  Not sure what a new coach can really do though.  Devils would probably have to 10 games over NHL .500 to get in the rest of the way. 

How does Lou fire Pete? Just because he has had a quick trigger in the past? Lou sees a team that is prepared to play, has a good system, rarely if ever takes night's off (great back-to-back record), but can't score. Since 2012, the Devils didn't sign Sykora, Parise, Clarkson and lost Kovy. Lou hasn't done enough to replace, and I think he realizes Tedenby, Josefson, Matteau were not great answers.

If he wanted Larsson playing, he could have him playing very easy. People can be upset but Deboer has not been the reason this team has struggled to win.

by the same token when's the last time a Lemaire team blew a one-goal lead late in a game?  This has happened three games in a row with Pete, really three years in a row.

I mean - how is this germane?  How is blowing late game leads somehow tied to coaching?  They played 3 marvelous 3rd periods in each game.

Articles are nothing special, really.  Could've been anyone on here writing articles like that. 

If Lou thinks PDB's the problem, he'll let him go.  I think he gets until the end of the season though, but if they lose the next two games and go into the Olympic break 23-23-13...guess I wouldn't be completely surprised.  Not sure what a new coach can really do though.  Devils would probably have to 10 games over NHL .500 to get in the rest of the way.

He is the coach of a team that routinely blows leads and buries young guys. Go figure.

I mean - how is this germane?  How is blowing late game leads somehow tied to coaching?  They played 3 marvelous 3rd periods in each game.

The Devils didn't play 3 marvelous 3rd periods. Choking in the last seconds isn't marvelous...neither is not getting the crucial insurance goal to put us up by more than 1. That all goes into it...and I'm sick of blaming it on an unprecedented streaks of bad luck.

Edited by '7'

I agree with '7'.........tonight there was a brief flurry, but I seem to feel that the 3rd periods in the last 3 games they were just dumping the puck and playing D.

I tell you all though, if they do manage to make the playoffs, they will be well suited for the tight games there.

I agree with '7'.........tonight there was a brief flurry, but I seem to feel that the 3rd periods in the last 3 games they were just dumping the puck and playing D.

I tell you all though, if they do manage to make the playoffs, they will be well suited for the tight games there.

Colorado outshot NJ 9-8 in the third.

In Dallas, NJ outshot Dallas 8-6.

In Nashville, NJ outshot Nashville 8-7.

Breaking even on the shot board while trailing is really hard and yet NJ did it 3 straight nights - just couldn't get the insurance goal in either game.

Colorado outshot NJ 9-8 in the third.

In Dallas, NJ outshot Dallas 8-6.

In Nashville, NJ outshot Nashville 8-7.

Breaking even on the shot board while trailing is really hard and yet NJ did it 3 straight nights - just couldn't get the insurance goal in either game.

To be fair here, the Devils didn't pepper the opposing goalie with a large number of shots.  That being said, I also don't think they simply sat on a 1 goal lead either at least until the very end of the period.  I think that's the problem.  I don't want them sitting on a one goal lead in the 3rd even with just a minute to go.  Keep attacking.  They also need to know it's ok to ice the puck.  Stop always trying to simply chip it out of the zone.

They hit what, four posts? PDB can't do much about that. "Hey Zubrus shoot inside the frame!" ?

This was their 36th 1-goal game. They have 22 1-goal loss or SO/OT loss. If you play that many close games you will also blow a lot of leads.

But we've surrendered 5 leads this year when the other team pulled their goalie late in the game.  5 times!  2 of those games we won.  If we finish those 5 games off in regulation, not only do the Habs and Rags each have fewer points than they currently have, but we have 3 more points and are at worst tied for a playoff spot.

People can point to the shootout failures as why we're not in the playoffs, but those 5 games imo is more damning.

Edited by Mike Brown

I don't see Deboer back after this year unless he miraculously gets this team a playoff spot and perhaps a series win. Coaches don't stay around anymore for more than a few yrs . The Babcock types are rare and even he might be on the hot seat soon in Detroit in the next yr or so.

Deboer is such a bad fit for where the Devils need to go and what they need for getting their younger talent coached up and acclimated.

Edited by coldply123

I think in many cases the head coach isn't your friend IMO that's the job of the assistant coaches.  That being said I think it's time to let PDB go.

The last two nights sucked, but at the same time, it's really hard to put them entirely on PDB:

Against the Preds, Jagr does exactly what you'd want him to, Preds get an incredibly fortunate bounce.

Against the Avs...three friggin' posts.  Team on ice unfortunately gets caught and gassed at the worst possible time.    

I'm not sure what a new coach can do with what he has to work with.  It feels like it will be change for change's sake.  Does the next coach get the guys who don't score for 10 games or more at a time to start scoring more consistently?       

But we've surrendered 5 leads this year when the other team pulled their goalie late in the game.  5 times!  2 of those games we won.  If we finish those 5 games off in regulation, not only do the Habs and Rags each have fewer points than they currently have, but we have 3 more points and are at worst tied for a playoff spot.

People can point to the shootout failures as why we're not in the playoffs, but those 5 games imo is more damning.

And how many times have the opposition pulled the goalie? You can't just throw out "given up goals" without context. The success ratio is something like 30% when pulling the goalie.