The Thread Formerly Known as The Reasons for Optimism Thread

Colorado Rockies 1976

http://espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs/matchups

According to this page, the Devils have the lowest percentage of quality teams left to face in their schedule.  They define a quality team as a team that has more points than games played aka better than NHL .500.

Rangers: 9 of 13 (69%)

Canadiens: 10 of 13 (77%)

Maple Leafs: 11 of 13 (85%)

Lightning: 12 of 15 (80%)

Flyers: 12 of 16 (75%)

Columbus: 10 of 15 (67%)

Washington: 10 of 13 (77%)

Detroit: 12 of 15 (80%)

New Jersey: 8 of 14 (57%)

Ottawa: 10 of 16 (63%)

Carolina: 14 of 17 (82%)

Add in the fact that most of their games are at home, and you have a scenario that helps the Devils chances at getting the 10 wins needed to make the playoffs.  10-3-1 is really all they need to do.  That's not too outlandish.  10-4-0 might be enough too.  10-4-0 gives the Devils a 71.4% chance at making it. http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/Eastern/Metropolitan/NewJersey.html

The trouble is that the Devils are not a quality team. We fall into the poor team bracket this season.  

Meh, a win against Boston (who will be on a back to back) will surely give the team confidence.  Even if they do win tomorrow, it's still a bit of a long shot, but one thing this team does do well is fight.  They give it their all and I expect them to go down swinging

They don't really. They didn't fight against Tampa, and have wilted and played scared in the 3rd periods and last minutes of many games.

Boston has won 8 in a row. They steamroll everyone and will especially steamroll us

They don't really. They didn't fight against Tampa, and have wilted and played scared in the 3rd periods and last minutes of many games.

Boston has won 8 in a row. They steamroll everyone and will especially steamroll us

I really do think the Devils will pull a rabbit out of their ass tomorrow and win.

Only to promptly lose pretty big to Minnesota on Thursday.

I really do think the Devils will pull a rabbit out of their ass tomorrow and win.

could happen I suppose. One of our goalies will probably throw up an enormous clunker as well

Edited by '7'

They did fight, they just ran out of gas on the road against a quality team on a back to back....it happens

The both funny and sad thing is I could see them going 3-1-1 or 4-1-0 in the next five, and all of us saying "Holy sh!t, can't believe they did that, we're back in business..."

and then going 0-2-1 against the Islanders, Panthers, and Sabres. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

The both funny and sad thing is I could see them going 3-1-1 or 4-1-0 in the next five, and all of saying "Holy sh!t, can't believe they did that, we're back in business..."

and then going 0-2-1 against the Islanders, Panthers, and Sabres. 

Very real possibility too.  Devils this season seem to play up and down to their competition.  I see Bruins as the bigger threat and I see them winning pretty handedly tomorrow only to lose to Minnesota pretty handedly too.

At least if they win tomorrow their retro night record will be an even 2-2.

You're also asking them to go 10-3-1 with Marty largely in net with Cory essentially playing his way out of the rotation down the stretch. As good as Marty's been his last couple of games I can't see that kind of sustained streak between him and a cold Cory.

Edited by NJDevs4978

You're also asking them to go 10-3-1 with Marty largely in net with Cory essentially playing his way out of the rotation down the stretch. As good as Marty's been his last couple of games I can't see that kind of sustained streak between him and a cold Cory.

If they want any chance at all at a run it's finally got to come together for the Devils and Cory. Meaning he has to play as he did during that amazing stretch, and the Devils have to score for him like they do for Marty. Otherwise this team will never win more than 3 in a row. 

I would think Cory's cold spell is coming to an end. We have to ride him. Give Schneider Boston, Brodeur Minny, Schneider NYR.

I have us getting a late lead and then blowing it for an OT loss tomorrow, getting blasted Thursday, rallying to win Saturday then losing a shootout Sunday. 1-1-2 where we'll somehow remain on the outskirts of the race to keep the tease going.

If they want any chance at all at a run it's finally got to come together for the Devils and Cory. Meaning he has to play as he did during that amazing stretch, and the Devils have to score for him like they do for Marty. Otherwise this team will never win more than 3 in a row. 

I would think Cory's cold spell is coming to an end. We have to ride him. Give Schneider Boston, Brodeur Minny, Schneider NYR.

The bolded pretty much sums it up, and puts into perspective how difficult this is going to be.  We all knew this team could not afford any real losing streaks...as we've seen, even two losses in a row is costly.  I'm not in the Devils are dead and buried camp, but I think this homestand represents their final chance.  If they don't come away with at least 7 points, I'm not going to say, "If they go x-x-x over their final nine..."  They either show something in these big five, FINALLY, or it's over. 

And even seven points isn't major cause for celebration...assuming they actually pull off that many, they'd have 78 points going into their final nine games.

If it takes 92 to get in, Devils need to go 7-2-0, 6-1-2, or 5-0-4 in their final 9 GP.

If it takes 91:  6-2-1, 5-1-3, 4-0-5

If it takes 90:  6-3-0, 5-2-2, 4-1-4      

And yeah, Devils don't have a prayer of pulling off any of the above without Cory playing well again. 

I think the retro goal horn got shelved for good after Game 3 against the Panthers lol

Oh you meant the SONG...yeah, no that's not happening.  Both sides have been totally obnoxious about that thing, the Devils are doing everything possible to cover up 'you suck' with the canned Let's Go Devils and speeding up the song.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I can't really get behind this. I am the point where I just don't really care who starts; it doesn't matter. Marty lets in terrible goals and Cory's play is unpredictable right now. I'm tired of the surprises. Start whoever, when it comes down to it, we need all of our players to step up if we want to go on our best streak in 2 years. And I hate to say it, but I don't know if they are capable of it.

Can we close this thread?

I always said the Devils couldn't afford a 3-game losing streak.  Well, it happened.  If the Devils somehow win the next four, maybe I'll start to hope again, but for now I'm all out.  This team is done. 

so should we change the name of this thread or something? lol

Done.

Ok, guys, I did some math!

If the Devils just go 10-2-1, and then Washington and Columbus lose out, and the city of Detroit officially goes bankrupt and closes down the Red Wings for the season, then the Leafs protest rumors of a second team in Toronto by seceding from the league, we can sneak into the 7th or 8th spot. Then, just a quick upset of the Bruins or Pens, and it's smooth sailing to the finals!