Since It Would Be A Pretty Epic / Historical Event in Devils History..

Sharifijanov2099

Straight Up Pole - Will Brodeur Be Traded This Season  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Will Marty be traded prior to this season's deadline?

PS - i know this topic has been debated in other threads, but I wanted it here specifically for polling purposes, to see how our collective powers of prognostication will fair. And while it might not be an epic moment in our team's season, or even in how many more Wins Brodeur achieves as a result... it will still be an epic moment for almost all Devils fans to see our career HOF netminder play on another squad. 

I know personally, that's not something I EVER thought possible.  If you read Brodeur's book, you'd know how important the "1-team" concept seemed to him, and how ferociously loyal he comes off. 

Today, he's one of the worst goalies in the game.  But it will still be sad to see his name elsewhere, when he could have instead retired before now and maintained his lifelong career in NJ.

Edited by bekim

I went with yes, though it wouldn't surprise me if he stayed, due to lack of interest from other teams, or Lou (out of respect) not wanting to trade him for a mid-to-low round pick.  The Devils aren't in any position to give him a showcase start or two, so the latest start an interested team will have to gauge him on is the outdoor disaster back in late January.  In five January starts, he put up an .862 save%, and the Devils went 1-3-1.   

But I have a strange gut feeling that some team thinks he's got something, even though the performances scream inconsistency bordering on bad.  I just don't know what a team should be willing to give up for that "something".  If I'm a GM, I can't give up anything more than a 4th-rounder for him...past success simply can't mean much here, and the most respectable part of his numbers (wins) was built more on good luck and fortune than it was good play.  Maybe some GM thinks he's got another 10 game burst like the one he had from 10/27-11/25 (7-3 record, only 5 goals allowed in the three losses, .934 save%).   

the problem is the return would be minimal + we'd have to get a backup in return (because we'd need one) so we wouldnt get a full value. So i dont think it's worth it but i think it will happen, he wouldnt be worth much more than just a backup swap really so whats the point?

If he goes and we somehow get a pick i just hope its to a bottom team so that we get an earlier pick if theres one.

Edited by SterioDesign

No for the simple reason= we have no back up goalie.. But there will be a trade.. one or two of our defenseman. If there is none Lou has lost his mind.

I just hope who ever it is we get, if we get.. is UNDER 30.

I said this in the trade thread, but you could have a Terreri-for-Vanbiesbrouck kind of deal, a goalie swap.  Marty goes somewhere where the starter isn't as good as Cory or lacks experience, and the Devils get someone back who's younger and has a pure backup mentality (I know the Terreri-for-Beez was more the Devils trying to improve the backup situation more than anything else).  It all goes back to whether or not someone really thinks Marty still has something left and can be an effective starter if needed. 

Marty - Bryz makes more and more sense the more I think about it, though.  A simple swap.

Devils get a serviceable backup (albeit a slightly crazy one), Edmonton gets their '1B' goaltender to split games/mentor Scrivens.

It's a deal that doesn't get done unless Marty asks for a trade though, obviously.

No, because who is going to make him a starter?  No one.

To me, this is Brodeur seeing the writing on the wall - he wants to start next year, and the less ice time he gets this year, the harder it is going to be to get a job like that anywhere.  I could see him going somewhere for a pittance to get a shot to start - I just can't see him being any good there.  The more playing time he gets, the more he'll hurt his chances.

Any where Marty goes it won't be as a starter. If a team trades for him, it's because they want a veteran in the locker room and an experienced guy who can step in if their starter gets hurt. Not a whole lot of teams will be needing that, and who knows how many are on Marty's list if he indeed has asked for a trade. I can think of Chicago, Minnesota, Tampa, and San Jose as teams that may want that piece for a playoff run, but I just don't know if what Brodeur would bring to them would be worth the distraction, nor do I think the Devils would really get much back. So I have to say there won't be a trade.

I guess Edmonton could make sense if they want a pointless goalie controversy to end their season. It just seems more and more obvious that Marty will have to hang it up when the season ends.

Edited by Devil Dan 56