3 Ways The Devils Have Disappointed (You) at the Break

devilsrule33

Come on, the idea that we'd be Buffalo bad is insane.

Devils have an elite goalie and a defense that allows the least amount of shots in the league

That, and some people were so sure Kovy was holding us back and we'd 'become a team again' with balanced scoring from 924 third and fourth liners. Guess that didn't work out.

That, and some people were so sure Kovy was holding us back and we'd 'become a team again' with balanced scoring from 924 third and fourth liners. Guess that didn't work out.

Most (rational) fans had us around where we currently are. Pretty amazing NJ isn't quite buried considering they can't score and haven't won any shootouts

Most (rational) fans had us around where we currently are. Pretty amazing NJ isn't quite buried considering they can't score and haven't won any shootouts

I think there was some intrigue more than anything else initially, with all of the new bodies like Jagr, Ryder and Brunner, Schneider, etc.  I think it was reasonable to expect this team would be better than last season's, especially since the goaltending figured to be significantly better (it couldn't get much worse than 2013).  Unfortunately, as we're seeing, the new bodies with the exception of Jagr haven't done a whole lot...not consistently, anyway.  We know how great Schneider has been of late.   

How is Ryder a good player on the rush?  He's slow.  His skill is his shot, and he's been getting plenty of shots lately, they are just not going in.

He may not be the play driver, but you can't honestly tell me you think this dump/chase/cycle system benefits a player like Ryder more than a rush-oriented attack would.

I think there was some intrigue more than anything else initially, with all of the new bodies like Jagr, Ryder and Brunner, Schneider, etc.  I think it was reasonable to expect this team would be better than last season's, especially since the goaltending figured to be significantly better (it couldn't get much worse than 2013).  Unfortunately, as we're seeing, the new bodies with the exception of Jagr haven't done a whole lot...not consistently, anyway.  We know how great Schneider has been of late.   

I think this season has shown that, while hockey is most definitely a team sport, quantity can't always replace quality.

This. I pretty much figured the team to be only slightly better than they are. I was expecting/hoping to be a 5th-7th seed most of the year, so I can't be super disappointed in where they ended up.

What exactly have the owners done to kill the atmosphere?  I get they took away the goal song.  But how does that affect the cheering and clapping during the actual the actual game?  What exactly did the owners do?

The atmosphere is on the fans, not the owners.

Ticket prices, goal song, changing around little things that fans loved like the high school jerseys...

Ticket prices, goal song, changing around little things that fans loved like the high school jerseys...

I hate the high ticket prices too.  They also didn't take away the high school jerseys.  They just moved them.

What do these things have to do with the atmosphere?  Contrary to popular belief, the attendance isn't any lower than it was in years past sans last year.  Not counting the outdoor game, the Devils average an 88% seating capacity this year (14,604 average out of 16,592 seating capacity).

So what exactly is different?

Just stop already.  Your constant bitching about the owners has been about your precious goal song and only the goal song.  It's over and just forget it.

Ticket prices have always been high, but you still have Stubhub for your dirt cheap tickets so really nothing has changed.  Oh boo hoo the new owners are not doing those ticket deals anymore.  Well hate to break it to you but they are running a business and not running as a fan.  Look at great running it as a fan did for JVB.  You would really want to go through that again last year of constant articles in the paper and the league almost taking over the team?

Also very few people noticed the jerseys were moved and even less care.

That isn't really true if you look at what the ultra-rational observers were saying.  Apparently, last year it was all the fault of goaltending and Kovy was never that good anyway.  Otherwise, in every other department except the one that counts, goals, we evidently were good at.   Well, we have arguably the best goalie in hockey, or certainly a top five goalie and no Kovy and his bad points per icetime ratio (or whatever goal posts people want to move to tell us he wasn't a good player) and we're still in the same place as last year. 

He may not be the play driver, but you can't honestly tell me you think this dump/chase/cycle system benefits a player like Ryder more than a rush-oriented attack would.

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2013/6/4/4385610/how-michael-ryder-scored-his-goals-in-2013-part-3-analysis

How else do you get goals in a possession system?  Someone has to score them.  Why not a guy with a terrific shot?

That isn't really true if you look at what the ultra-rational observers were saying.  Apparently, last year it was all the fault of goaltending and Kovy was never that good anyway.  Otherwise, in every other department except the one that counts, goals, we evidently were good at.   Well, we have arguably the best goalie in hockey, or certainly a top five goalie and no Kovy and his bad points per icetime ratio (or whatever goal posts people want to move to tell us he wasn't a good player) and we're still in the same place as last year. 

If they hadn't wasted the vast majority of their best offensive performances with the worse goalie and could win half their shootouts, NJ would have 4-5 more points and people wouldn't be having this discussion at all.

They lost three 30 goal scorers and replaced them with zero, maybe one if Jagr keeps going. Its common sense you aren't going to win that way unless your defense was so lights out they were giving up less than two a game. 

If Corey started most of the games and still had his current save percentage and GAA, maybe they would be in a slightly better position. But there were a LOT of one goal losses/shootout horror shows that could have been avoided if you threw another 30 goal scorer or two in the mix.

I hate the high ticket prices too.  They also didn't take away the high school jerseys.  They just moved them.

What do these things have to do with the atmosphere?  Contrary to popular belief, the attendance isn't any lower than it was in years past sans last year.  Not counting the outdoor game, the Devils average an 88% seating capacity this year (14,604 average out of 16,592 seating capacity).

So what exactly is different?

Attendance and atmosphere arent necessarily one in the same. The crowds arent into the games like they were last year. Obviously, a lot of that has to do with the low offense, but you cant also discount the of the Diablos, the growing vuvuzela use, and the anti-climactic goal song.

Just stop already.  Your constant bitching about the owners has been about your precious goal song and only the goal song.  It's over and just forget it.

Ticket prices have always been high, but you still have Stubhub for your dirt cheap tickets so really nothing has changed.  Oh boo hoo the new owners are not doing those ticket deals anymore.  Well hate to break it to you but they are running a business and not running as a fan.  Look at great running it as a fan did for JVB.  You would really want to go through that again last year of constant articles in the paper and the league almost taking over the team?

Also very few people noticed the jerseys were moved and even less care.

You're complaining about someone constantly bitching about something? lol thats funny. Keep speaking on behalf of people, and inaccurately at that, too. It'll give you something else to complain about.

Attendance and atmosphere arent necessarily one in the same. The crowds arent into the games like they were last year. Obviously, a lot of that has to do with the low offense, but you cant also discount the of the Diablos, the growing vuvuzela use, and the anti-climactic goal song.

You're complaining about someone constantly bitching about something? lol thats funny. Keep speaking on behalf of people, and inaccurately at that, too. It'll give you something else to complain about.

Edit: I don't care anymore, just say what you want.  The constant whining about the precious goal song will never go away with some people.

Maybe the reason for the dead atmosphere is because the Devils are a flat-out snoozefest most nights.  I have left more games early this year than I have since at least 2008 because they are just flat-out boring.

Edited by DevsMan84

They lost three 30 goal scorers and replaced them with zero, maybe one if Jagr keeps going. Its common sense you aren't going to win that way unless your defense was so lights out they were giving up less than two a game. 

If Corey started most of the games and still had his current save percentage and GAA, maybe they would be in a slightly better position. But there were a LOT of one goal losses/shootout horror shows that could have been avoided if you threw another 30 goal scorer or two in the mix.

The problem is two out of the three probably wouldn't have scored 30 as Devils this season if all had remained here.  Look up Kovy's SKA numbers...he's not exactly lighting it up over there (16 goals in 44 GP), after not lighting up here last season.  And we know Clarkson's story...he got a tremendous amount of puck luck in his 30-goal season.     

Yea but none of that is on the owners.  The quality of the team has very little to do with the owners.  And 7 Nation Army has been eaten up by out fanbase.  The fans love it.

This team is in the position I expected them to be in coming into this season.  Can't say I'm disappointed, although their inconsistency is frustrating to watch at times.  Fact of the matter is, this is a very average team that plays that way.  Their system and goaltending keep them in games and give them a chance to win, but the offense is non-existent and it is a struggle just to pot 2 goals on most nights.  I'd be estatic just making the playoffs this season.

Yea but none of that is on the owners.  The quality of the team has very little to do with the owners.  And 7 Nation Army has been eaten up by out fanbase.  The fans love it.

I agree that the owners (especially these owners since they are new) aren't the reason that the atmosphere is dead inside the Rock this season.  It's on the fans to make the building the way it was in 2012.  The goal song isn't the reason the you can hear a conversation 2 people are having from the other end of the rink with 2 minutes left in the 3rd.  However, if you really think the majority of fans love the new goal song, I want some of what you're smoking.   

We need to retire the idea of David Clarkson being 'a 30 goal scorer'.  He did that once.  He will not likely do it again - he's not a very good player, and he is having just a disastrous year in Toronto.

I refuse to get into yet another debate about this, but let's be clear - 'the fans' don't all love it.  It's incredibly tacky.  I'm sure some like it, but quite a few I know and have spoken with don't.  It's a mix, for sure.

Edited by Devilsfan118

I refuse to get into yet another debate about this, but let's be clear - 'the fans' don't all love it.  It's incredibly tacky.  I'm sure some like it, but quite a few I know and have spoken with don't.  It's a mix, for sure.

agreed who the hell loves the 7 nations army goal song? i havent found one person in person that thinks that was a "good" pick for our song... actually it blows there were way better choices that could have been used.

I agree that the owners (especially these owners since they are new) aren't the reason that the atmosphere is dead inside the Rock this season.  It's on the fans to make the building the way it was in 2012.  The goal song isn't the reason the you can hear a conversation 2 people are having from the other end of the rink with 2 minutes left in the 3rd.  However, if you really think the majority of fans love the new goal song, I want some of what you're smoking.   

I have yet to meet a fan who doesn't like it.

We need to retire the idea of David Clarkson being 'a 30 goal scorer'.  He did that once.  He will not likely do it again - he's not a very good player, and he is having just a disastrous year in Toronto.

It's bad, but if he got every opportunity he got under Deboer in Toronto it wouldn't be that awful. I don't think anyone pointed out more than me how ridiculously lucky 50% of Clarkson's goals were, but you get on the ice and good things happen.

Carlyle is using Clarkson no different than how Lemaire did. 

agreed who the hell loves the 7 nations army goal song? i havent found one person in person that thinks that was a "good" pick for our song... actually it blows there were way better choices that could have been used.

I have yet to meet a fan who doesn't like it.

There's 2 who apparently don't.

It's bad, but if he got every opportunity he got under Deboer in Toronto it wouldn't be that awful. I don't think anyone pointed out more than me how ridiculously lucky 50% of Clarkson's goals were, but you get on the ice and good things happen.

Carlyle is using Clarkson no different than how Lemaire did. 

I think I went through it with you once...the goals that went off random body parts, etc.  I've never seen puck luck like that in one season, ever.