Has anybody been to the Izod Center lately?

Colorado Rockies 1976

god i loved those circus clown banners. DAMNIT who used to have the handle "clown banner" or something or other? ...i guess im showing my njdevs age here.

anyway, ive only been back to the izod center once since the devils left - i didn't really feel any negative feelings nor did i feel nostalgia. i just felt like i was "at the caa" for another event. it's definitely outdated, it definitely screams of about 359 fire code violations, but it's what it is, more or less. i think myself, like many devils fans (or patrons of the arena in general) have tripped up or stumbled down the steps at least once it its heyday lol. that xanadu sh!t is horrendous though. i still don't understand what purpose that was supposed to serve.

with that said - maybe i'm flying solo here - but it took me a while to become adjusted and feel comfortable at the rock. i think it's because i grew up at the brendan byrne/caa. i was in my 20s (yes, still young) but the time the rock opened its doors and i was at opening night no less - but it felt odd to me. i've now grown to love the arena and its attractions, but it definitely took me a few years. i guess i was still a little to wide-eyed and confused to get what was going on. i was used to $7.50 chicken tenders and fries. you add an extra $2 to that and i'm thrown for a loop, for sure.

LOTCB - Legend of the Clown Banners.

I've been to the Meadowlands twice since the Devils left...a Coldplay show (don't laugh, really good show) and a WWE event (okay you can laugh now, terrible event).  The first time was a little weird, for reasons everyone else has mentioned.

The second time I busted my shin when I tripped on a step heading up to my seat and it felt like home again for a few blindingly painful moments.

Devils lost their first game at the Rock to the Senators 4-1 (after a nine-game road trip to start the season). I remember the 6-1 beatdown...that was their second game there.

The Wilpons of course screwed up their building, thinking that somehow Mets fans would be more interested in going to a building that seemed to pay more homage to the Brooklyn Dodgers than to the team that actually played there. They've since taken some positive steps to correct, but that misstep left a bad taste in Met fans' mouths that still lingers even now. You are right, I think it's going to take some serious winning to wash that out.

I thought I would feel much more nostalgia than I did. I think some of it was stripped away by the mess that sprouted up around it...I remember tailgating in the parking lot back in the day during playoff games.

BBA was heavily criticized for having just the one concourse (terrible idea), and yeah, that had a way of crowding up in a hurry between periods and after games for sure. I never really minded CAA overall when I was watching games there...it served its purpose well, even if it lacked personality.

Great point CR- Xanadu and the parking garage kind of took away that unique feel the CAA had, outside anyway. Tailgating before playoff games, that big parking lot... It kind of went away a little at the end there. And I think by the time the Devils moved, everyone had had it with the CAA (I know I did). The single concourse, sh!tty food, rude ushers- I couldn't wait for the Rock to open. (Speaking of the single concourse- I remember going to Devils games as a kid in the 80's when they allowed smoking in the building. The concourse was like a giant ash tray). But looking back now, I kind of miss it. I'd never want the Devils to move back or anything, but I look back and smile now at some of the little things that annoyed me about the old barn. I guess time does that. Overall- I've had some of the best memories of my life in that arena (and not just Devils games, but Nets games as a kid and some great concerts as well). So while it may be a dump, it was OUR dump. And it will always hold a very special place in my heart.
  • Like 1

Great point CR- Xanadu and the parking garage kind of took away that unique feel the CAA had, outside anyway. Tailgating before playoff games, that big parking lot... It kind of went away a little at the end there. And I think by the time the Devils moved, everyone had had it with the CAA (I know I did). The single concourse, sh!tty food, rude ushers- I couldn't wait for the Rock to open. (Speaking of the single concourse- I remember going to Devils games as a kid in the 80's when they allowed smoking in the building. The concourse was like a giant ash tray). But looking back now, I kind of miss it. I'd never want the Devils to move back or anything, but I look back and smile now at some of the little things that annoyed me about the old barn. I guess time does that. Overall- I've had some of the best memories of my life in that arena (and not just Devils games, but Nets games as a kid and some great concerts as well). So while it may be a dump, it was OUR dump. And it will always hold a very special place in my heart.

God I remember when they had smoking in the concourse. You could actually see the haze in there from all the smoke.

As a kid I loved going around the entire arena around the walkway that formed a ring around the arena past the last row of the upper deck. Was a nice alternative than trying to walk through that busy concourse.

I will tell you one thing I don't miss about CAA and that is that friggin cattle walk they had there from Giants Stadium. I still remember the original wooden one they had there and that thing could get scary at times. It was dark, narrow and when it was filled you can feel the entire thing vibrating as you were walking in there.

Oh man that was one of my favorite memories of the Meadowlands! Walking through the 'tunnel' (as my family and I called it) was sooo much fun after a big Devils win, especially in the playoffs. I remember the walk back over to the Giants Stadium parking lot after we beat the Phailures in game 6 in 2000 to tie the ECF being crazier than usual, that was an amazing night lol. Plus there were a lot of sh!t-talking-but-suddenly-quiet Phailure fans who got it big-time in the tunnel that night. Great memories!

Sometimes I wonder what's going on in John McMullens alternate universe where the Devils moved to Hoboken insteaddevarena.jpg

I always said that if they ever managed to pull that off it would have been an enormous success for the franchise.  The same mass transit access as Newark and you would have a lot people living within walking distance that would go to games as well, with a lot more to do after the game.

God I remember when they had smoking in the concourse. You could actually see the haze in there from all the smoke.

As a kid I loved going around the entire arena around the walkway that formed a ring around the arena past the last row of the upper deck. Was a nice alternative than trying to walk through that busy concourse.

Yep, I remember that walkway lol. At game 1 against the Rags in 2006, I was sitting in the last row of the upper level... Who comes walking right past mt on that very walkway during the first intermission but Joe Benigno from WFAN, a huge Rags fan who I remember was talking lots of noise on the air about the Rangers being able to beat us pretty easily. After we blew a hole in the Rangers in the first period and he came walking by I yelled 'hey Joe, how's it feel right now?' If looks could kill... He was so pissed lol.

Yep, I remember that walkway lol. At game 1 against the Rags in 2006, I was sitting in the last row of the upper level... Who comes walking right past mt on that very walkway during the first intermission but Joe Benigno from WFAN, a huge Rags fan who I remember was talking lots of noise on the air about the Rangers being able to beat us pretty easily. After we blew a hole in the Rangers in the first period and he came walking by I yelled 'hey Joe, how's it feel right now?' If looks could kill... He was so pissed lol.

That dude is a blowhard.  I still remember when Ozolinsh scored for us that series.

Beningo's a good guy even though he's a Ranger fan.  Was very good to my friend when he used to work at the Fan.

Beningo's a good guy even though he's a Ranger fan. Was very good to my friend when he used to work at the Fan.

Yeah I like Joe, but I remember being annoyed at the fact that he seemed to think the Rangers would handle us in that series. I remember him not giving the Devils much of a shot coming into that series. I couldn't resist tweaking him when I saw him lol.

god i loved those circus clown banners. DAMNIT who used to have the handle "clown banner" or something or other? ...i guess im showing my njdevs age here.

LOTCB lol...he shortened the name (and usually only posts in the other sports forum these days) but the abbreviation still lives.

I haven't been there yet since the last Devils playoff game I was at but I've been to the Meadowlands itself twice and just seeing the Izod from a distance is frightening.  It looks like a different building, though I'd probably recognize it more if I actually went inside.  I don't really plan to go back anytime soon.

EDIT: Actually checking my ticket stubs (yes I generally keep all of them) apparently my last game at CAA was Game 2 of the first round series with the Lightning - so I went out with a loss after all, oh well.

Edited by NJDevs4978

The area was clearly never scenic, but still, I remember warmer days in the CAA parking lot (especially June 24, 1995)...the area feeling pretty wide open...the arena in clear view...that's all gone now (thank God the Devils don't play there anymore).  But I agree, even if the chance for nostalgia's been wrecked by Xanadu and other factors, none of that tarishes the memories of all of the great things that happened there.  I guess I just prefer to remember as it was and not how it is.

I used to be one of the concourse smokers for about 8 years...I quit smoking for good back in May 2001. Won't ever go back to it...I can't believe I ever WAS a smoker (I wasn't a super-heavy smoker...4 to 5 packs a week usually...but definitely smoked more than enough).

They botched it badly from the beginning by not really being in tune to what mets fans wanted or needed...but since then there have been some fixes. Blue walls, friendlier dimensions, more Mets stuff in general, Mets HOF. And the Mets have given us some good moments in the building despite not being very good over the last few years (Santana no hitter among other things)

I wonder what's left? Do they have to make the playoffs for it to really feel like home?

well I don't listen to garbage if that's what you mean

re:  CitiField, read my post at the bottom of page 2.  I agree, the Wilpons have taken steps to correct it, but the initial iteration of Citi was just the latest example of them coming off as clueless amateurs.  Most people would rightly say that the mistakes made in the beginning really shouldn't have been made at all.  The Brooklyn Dodgers had been gone for about 50 years when Citi opened, and it's not like the Dodgers don't exist anymore.  Why pay ANY homage to them at all?  As far as Jackie Robinson goes, even though I understand WHY the Mets did it, it's still odd that they've taken ownership of his legacy, considering he never had anything to do with the franchise. 

Anyway, my point with this and my other post is yeah, with the fan hatred towards the Wilpons and the mistakes they constantly make, it probably is going to take flirting with true relevancy before people start to truly warm up to Citi.

As for the music...there's people who like that stuff and listen to it...otherwise it wouldn't be on the radio and these artists wouldn't be able to profit off touring.  Doesn't mean I don't think a lot of stuff on the radio is crap (hell, I think a lot of stuff my wife listens to is god-awful), but there's a lot of different tastes out there. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I'm extremely jealous of you older folk who got to tailgate, get sauced and play street hockey before heading into the arena. Rutgers and giants games are always a good experience from the tailgate alone. Really impossible to do that at the rock

You take the good with the bad.  I like that there are places to go before and after the game around the Rock.  Also, there weren't as many opportunities to tailgate as you would think.  Most games are in the evening on weeknights, so even if you went to every home game, most games you couldn't tailgate.  It was a lot of fun during the deep playoff runs though.

I think Philly probably has the best of both worlds.  Wells Fargo center has a ton of parking for tailgating, but otherwise South Street and Passyunk aren't that far away if that's what you want to do. 

Edited by Daniel

Had to be for my brother's graduation from William Paterson in 2012... never go to a college graduation of a mid major school because the speaker isn't interesting enough and its just a reading of names and speeches that I wish I was drunk for. But I'm not the sentimental type for things like that.

Edited by roomtemp

You take the good with the bad.  I like that there are places to go before and after the game around the Rock.  Also, there weren't as many opportunities to tailgate as you would think.  Most games are in the evening on weeknights, so even if you went to every home game, most games you couldn't tailgate.  It was a lot of fun during the deep playoff runs though.

I think Philly probably has the best of both worlds.  Wells Fargo center has a ton of parking for tailgating, but otherwise South Street and Passyunk aren't that far away if that's what you want to do. 

As a broke college student, I'd much rather buy a cheapo 30 for $20, the cheapest hamburgers you can find, bring a grill charcoal etc and have an awesome time. Divide it between four friends and it's very cheap. I don't have the money to go out to a restaurant after the game, eat a meal that's overpriced and isn't even filling. 

As for the weeknights go, I'd have no problem tailgating on the weeknights, and have done it before. Back in 2012 RU was playing Louisville Thursday night for the Big East title. Living about 40 minutes south of RU, me and three buddies hopped in a car and picked up another friend from class at Monmouth. We got there about 4:00, got hammered and made it into the game at 7:30. Waking up for the 8:30 class the next day was no fun, but it is definitely an experience worth having again. Sucks that you can't really do that with the Devils.

I'm extremely jealous of you older folk who got to tailgate, get sauced and play street hockey before heading into the arena. Rutgers and giants games are always a good experience from the tailgate alone. Really impossible to do that at the rock

I tailgated maybe a handful of times for Devils games, for the reasons Daniel stated.  The time of the games (mostly weekday nights of course) and the mostly chillier weather pretty much discourages it.  Most of the time I was freezing my ass off in the tunnel or freezing my ass off in the parking lot either running or jogging to the CAA.   Sure, it's great once everything blooms in April and May during the playoffs, but overall it was a pretty small part of the whole CAA experience. 

Having local bars and restaurants is pretty cool too, and you definitely didn't have THAT at the CAA.  I admit that, as far as hockey goes, I go to the game, then head right out.  Kind of hard to sample the local nightlife with a 5-and-a-half-year-old girl in tow (especially since she's spent by the time the game's over).   

But yeah, in reference to your last post, I know what you mean about the cost of the restaurants being prohibitive if you're still in school.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

As a broke college student, I'd much rather buy a cheapo 30 for $20, the cheapest hamburgers you can find, bring a grill charcoal etc and have an awesome time. Divide it between four friends and it's very cheap. I don't have the money to go out to a restaurant after the game, eat a meal that's overpriced and isn't even filling. 

As for the weeknights go, I'd have no problem tailgating on the weeknights, and have done it before. Back in 2012 RU was playing Louisville Thursday night for the Big East title. Living about 40 minutes south of RU, me and three buddies hopped in a car and picked up another friend from class at Monmouth. We got there about 4:00, got hammered and made it into the game at 7:30. Waking up for the 8:30 class the next day was no fun, but it is definitely an experience worth having again. Sucks that you can't really do that with the Devils.

At the Rock you can go pretty ghetto by hitting the liquor store in Penn Station and grabbing some Mickey D's.  If you brown bag the beer and don't get too noisy, you'll generally be left alone by security.

Yeah I kind of miss the cow tunnel. I was pretty convinced I was going to die in it, the floorboards giving way to drop me onto Route 3, after the first Stanley Cup parade. That was pretty insane.

Even the newer concrete one was cool.

Exactly what I was going to mention. People stamping out "Let's Go Devils" and expecting the whole thing to collapse and kill all of us.

I did wish there was more afternoon games on weekends. I feel like there used to be more. I wish we were a little more like the Bruins in that case. Lots of 1pm starts on Saturdays.

I promised my 6 year old I'd take her, expecting it to be a weekend matinee. There weren't any I could go to until March 29 or something, so we did a Saturday night instead.

She stayed pretty interested for a game that was 0-0 through regulation, and she flipped out when we won it in overtime.

Exactly what I was going to mention. People stamping out "Let's Go Devils" and expecting the whole thing to collapse and kill all of us.

I remember that you could actually see the traffic speeding along route 3 in between the cracks in the floorboards.  How that thing passed safety inspection in the first place is beyond me.

I remember that you could actually see the traffic speeding along route 3 in between the cracks in the floorboards.  How that thing passed safety inspection in the first place is beyond me.

That's rte 120 actually, but yeah, the original bridge was very scary to me.  I remember seeing the cars whizzing by below too. 

And there was always a guy selling pretzels just outside that bridge on the Giants Stadium side after the game was over.  Can't imagine that he could've sold very many of them.