Local TV ratings - Devils dead last

Z-Man

that's insanely low. Even for us

Isles seem unusually high household wise. Coming off a playoff season...still they've stunk worse than us this year

Flyers had a gigantic drop as well

Doesn't help we got off to the hideous 0-4-3 start and haven't been in a playoff position the entire season pretty much while the Isles came out strong and had some early buzz with the Vanek trade.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Yeah, this is the first thing I thought when I saw these numbers.  If many teams in the NHL are gaining 50%+ and losing 50%+ year to year, I don't think these numbers are particularly meaningful.

I mean the implication is that there are fewer people watching on TV than at the games.  That's insane to me.

Measuring TV ratings isn't an exact science either so 12,000 households can mean more eyes are watching. Plus I don't believe the TV numbers include those who may be watching via NHL Center Ice or the Gamecenter App.

The drop in ratings is a bummer but the Devils should still get their money from MSG regardless.

Those are some piss-poor numbers, and they come as no surprise. MSG is using our mercenary Jagr as the face the franchise because there's really no one else at this point. The style of play has been boring and the results aren't there either. No exciting players, whatsoever (outside of Jagr).

This year's team was doomed from the outset, as far as entertainment value and ratings would go.

Don't forget, I think we were getting record ratings the year Kovalchuk re-signed with us and Parise was playing. Luckily that was the year we renegotiated our TV deal, if I remember correctly. Don't underestimate how many casual fans, kids, and even girls will watch a team because of an elite player or two who look halfway decent. The Clarksons, Kovys, and Parises went a long way in that regard: local players that kids and casual fans could feel excited about and look up to. Now, you won't "get" Devils hockey unless you're a diehard fan who understands the game, and even then.....

Edited by DJ Eco

As someone who spent a lot of time in the broadcasting business, I will share this: putting ratings in the hands of someone not trained in interpreting them is a dangerous thing. Having not seen the actual numbers, I can't presume to analyze them. I will point out that there are many unusual nuances about this market that work against us in the ratings world.

As someone who spent a lot of time in the broadcasting business, I will share this: putting ratings in the hands of someone not trained in interpreting them is a dangerous thing. Having not seen the actual numbers, I can't presume to analyze them. I will point out that there are many unusual nuances about this market that work against us in the ratings world.

I think ratings are like attendance rankings.  Unless there is away to eliminate all of the variables, there is no real good way to evaluate it.  Regarding attendance numbers, those variables include standing room and seating capacity.  Not every arena has standing room, not every arena who does have standing room counts standing room, not every arena counts club seats while some arenas do.  For example, the Devils could sellout every game, and they couldn't be higher than 20th.  ESPN's unofficial rankings are way off since they don't even have every arenas' correct seating capacity.

I think there are also too many variables in tv ratings that makes it very difficult.  Market size has a huge effect on ratings for sure.

DVR doesn't count t directly. But they are counted in the side. They know who watches what with the dvr its been noted.

I think this is correct because presumably a recorded broadcast can be fast forwarded, so advertisers know their commercials probably won't be seen and thus don't want those views included in the overall numbers.

Outside of a few communications classes I'm by no means an expert on these things but as has been said in this thread, these numbers can be twisted and turned so many ways depending on what you are trying to get from them. And the bottom line is they are nothing more than an educated guess by Nielsen to try and give broadcasters more clout when negotiating advertising deals. To read then as some sort of reflection of a fanbase is really silly.

Just curious...are the ratings analytics gained via questionnaire like radio? I used to host a CBS FM radio show community and know they used a form to get their ratings from households, was curious if TV worked the same way.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by Devlin