The Official 2014 Trade Deadline Thread

Derlique

Reporters asking him about trades and reading into everything he says is what is driving the trade train. 

The counterpoint is I don't think anyone has ever answered as truthfully to trade rumour questions than Brodeur before or allowed the questions to keep coming in. Not saying it is right or wrong, but the man has never heard of the phrase, "no comment" or "I don't want to speak about it".

Edited by devilsrule33

The counterpoint is I don't think anyone has answered truthfully to trade rumour questions than Brodeur before or allowed the questions to keep coming in. Not saying it is right or wrong, but the man has never heard of the phrase, "no comment" or "I don't want to speak about it".

One of the reasons reporters always loved him was because he was honest and willing to speak his mind. It's not the best approach at all right now. 

The counterpoint is I don't think anyone has answered truthfully to trade rumour questions than Brodeur before or allowed the questions to keep coming in. Not saying it is right or wrong, but the man has never heard of the phrase, "no comment" or "I don't want to speak about it".

Yup, that strategy has really helped shut down the rumors and discussions about Ryan Kesler.

Brodeur possibly being traded is a big story, especially for a Devils team that hasn't really been a reporter's dream this year. So no matter how he answers the questions, it'll still be discussed. And if he doesn't get traded, Chere will immediately start asking him every day if this is his last year or if he would sign somewhere else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This 100%. Marty has not only answered the trade questions but the follow-ups too and even expanded upon his position. Typical Marty and I don't fault him. Secondly, the media is not driving the trade rumors, the media is responding to the direct quotes from Brodeur saying "I would accept a trade depending on where it is...", "I want to play and if I have have to go somewhere else to do that then I will..." etc...

Edited by Neb00rs

Is this really gonna happen?  :(

I wouldn't be surprised if Weeksie still keeps in contact with Marty.  Wanna know what's ironic?  Weeksie had to suffer through riding the bench because of Marty.  And now Marty wants a trade because he's stuck behind Cory.

What would happen to this place if Marty gets traded to Minny, get's reunited with Zach, and the Devils play the Wild in the SCF?

Marty for a 4th? I'd rather keep Marty if that's the deal

Take it in all honesty. Just get him out of here before he winds up saying something wrong or becomes a bigger distraction with his passive aggressive comments or actions. He's a 500lb gorilla each day he walks into the locker room from here on out. Give the team to CS and let him go play without the gorilla in the room anymore.

Take it in all honesty. Just get him out of here before he winds up saying something wrong or becomes a bigger distraction with his passive aggressive comments or actions. He's a 500lb gorilla each day he walks into the locker room from here on out. Give the team to CS and let him go play without the gorilla in the room anymore.

Eh, I disagree. I think Marty has been pretty decent about his role. Trading him for high round picks in this draft seems a bit wasteful.

Eh, I disagree. I think Marty has been pretty decent about his role. Trading him for high round picks in this draft seems a bit wasteful.

We're gonna get peanuts back regardless.  But then again, "7" does make a good point in the other thread.  If Cory does go down with an injury, would we want an unproven Kinkaid to tend the nets?  I personally am a big fan of Keith.  I wouldn't mind giving him that chance if need be, but it's still a scary thought.  So yea I agree with you that maybe if all we're gonna get is a late draft pick, we probably should just hold on to him.

Can't get too upset. It'd be nice for him to retire here, but it's clear he doesn't care, so why should we?

What exactly do you mean by "he doesn't care"?

We're gonna get peanuts back regardless. But then again, "7" does make a good point in the other thread. If Cory does go down with an injury, would we want an unproven Kinkaid to tend the nets? I personally am a big fan of Keith. I wouldn't mind giving him that chance if need be, but it's still a scary thought. So yea I agree with you that maybe if all we're gonna get is a late draft pick, we probably should just hold on to him.

What exactly do you mean by "he doesn't care"?

It's not a priority

What's strange is that he said he's willing to get traded to be a backup.  I really don't know what's going through his head right now.  If he's willing to be a backup, why just stay with the team?

Honestly at this point I think he's mad at someone...either Lou for trading for Cory and displacing him as starter (and his buddy Hedberg off the team entirely), or Pete though I don't know why he'd be mad at Pete unless he thinks he was owed a 50-start season.  There's no rational explanation for the guy kicking the tires to try to get himself traded all year just to play a small percentage of games more.  I mean good christ, when you've played 1300 games or whatever it is, what's the difference between the 7-10 he might get elsewhere and the 4-5 he might get here?