The Official 2014 Trade Deadline Thread

Derlique

Honestly at this point I think he's mad at someone...either Lou for trading for Cory and displacing him as starter (and his buddy Hedberg off the team entirely), or Pete though I don't know why he'd be mad at Pete unless he thinks he was owed a 50-start season.  There's no rational explanation for the guy kicking the tires to try to get himself traded all year just to play a small percentage of games more.  I mean good christ, when you've played 1300 games or whatever it is, what's the difference between the 7-10 he might get elsewhere and the 4-5 he might get here?

Minnesota does make sense though.  Kuemper is an unproven goalie, and Marty is a nice safety blanket in case he flops.  Not only that, Minny has a solid team this year, and are in good position to make the playoffs.  Not only that, his two kids go to school in Minny at Shattucks St. Mary's.  It's also a chance for him and Zach to be reunited.

Ah Christ... It was easy this whole time talking about trading Marty when it was a hypothetical. But now that it's apparently about to happen... Not gonna lie it's tough to think about. He's been the man since I was a little kid watching the team..

It won't ruin his legacy for me one bit. But still, watching him don another Jersey will kill me a little bit.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Honestly at this point I think he's mad at someone...either Lou for trading for Cory and displacing him as starter (and his buddy Hedberg off the team entirely), or Pete though I don't know why he'd be mad at Pete unless he thinks he was owed a 50-start season.  There's no rational explanation for the guy kicking the tires to try to get himself traded all year just to play a small percentage of games more.  I mean good christ, when you've played 1300 games or whatever it is, what's the difference between the 7-10 he might get elsewhere and the 4-5 he might get here?

I think it's Lou...not for trading for Cory but for not alerting Marty that he's trading for Cory. All of a sudden poof...here's your replacement and the future of the franchise...which by the way isn't you anymore. Perhaps Lou should have approached this more gently with the flaky Brodeur. But then again maybe this trade came out of the blue and he never got a chance too.

Still, Brodeurs options are limited. Other than Minnesota I don't see another realistic destination for him (other than the absurd which I've mentioned before...Calgary)

maybe Florida. Clemmensen or Thomas for Brodeur straight up. ha

Lou may just hold firm here and Marty will have to sulk it out the rest of the season, and then there will be a parting of ways in the offseason.

Edited by '7'

Ah Christ... It was easy this whole time talking about trading Marty when it was a hypothetical. But now that it's apparently about to happen... Not gonna lie it's tough to think about. He's been the man since I was a little kid watching the team..

It won't ruin his legacy for me one bit. But still, watching him don another Jersey will kill me a little bit.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Man some of the posters on HF don't share this sentiment.  I agree with you though.  This doesn't in any way tarnish his legacy.  The guy has put his heart and soul into the Devils for 20+ years.  When he was drafted by the Devils back 1990, this wasn't exactly a ideal place to play hockey, much like Mario in Pittsburgh.  In both cases, neither place was a traditional hockey market.  Mario stayed loyal to Pittsburgh, and hockey flourished in Pittsburgh because of Mario.  Hockey is imo pretty popular here in NJ.  Marty was a big part of it.

Fayne Stanley on HF is really starting to aggravate me btw.

There's no way Marty gets traded for a fourth-round draft pick straight up. I think they get at least a 2nd or some prospect equivalent. I also think if he goes it's to the Wild. I live in Minneapolis and there's been a lot of discussion in the local media about just such a trade. It will be interesting to be sure.

I think Lou will be able to get a good return for Marty. Marty is a living off reputation but that could play in the Devils favour. I mean how many teams would be interested in a goalie with his stats who was being shopped not called Brodeur?

I can see Lou somehow getting player/prospect + a pick.

frankly, i would be fine getting a 4th for him which isn't very much of anything. but i get the feeling lou might even get more. this could be a janssen for salvador type heist

I don't think it will necessarily be a heist, but if he's dealt, I do think we'll all be pleasantly surprised by the return.  Brodeur is still a brand name, even though his numbers aren't good.  I do think some GMs still get caught up in the experience/name factor. 

If Lou and Marty decide it's time for Marty to move on despite the return, it will kind of suck to get nothing more than a mid-round pick for him...not because that kind of return isn't an accurate showing of Marty's current value (it pretty much is), but because it kind of blows to see a guy who meant so much to this franchise for so long get dealt away for almost nothing...knowing Marty, he'll probably use that as a motivational tool.  But if Marty decides he really doesn't want to be here anymore and teams simply aren't willing to give up anything, Lou's hands are tied. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I would love a prospect and pick for Marty, but who exactly will be our insurance policy in case CS tweaks a groin or hurts his back?

That's another big question.  Lou clearly didn't believe that Kinkaid could eventually become a 55-65 starts per year type (he doesn't trade for Schneider otherwise...he could've brought in a stopgap), but does Lou think Kinkaid can approximate Hedberg-circa-2010-2012?  If Lou trades for a backup, either in a Marty deal or a separate one, then you have your answer.

I think it's Lou...not for trading for Cory but for not alerting Marty that he's trading for Cory. All of a sudden poof...here's your replacement and the future of the franchise...which by the way isn't you anymore. Perhaps Lou should have approached this more gently with the flaky Brodeur. But then again maybe this trade came out of the blue and he never got a chance too.

Still, Brodeurs options are limited. Other than Minnesota I don't see another realistic destination for him (other than the absurd which I've mentioned before...Calgary)

maybe Florida. Clemmensen or Thomas for Brodeur straight up. ha

Lou may just hold firm here and Marty will have to sulk it out the rest of the season, and then there will be a parting of ways in the offseason.

honestly, I really think Marty just realizes he's not going to be here next year, so why not get out of dodge now so it benefits everyone involved- Marty can go someplace to try and prove he's still worth a contract for next year, and the devils get some return for him going.

If he isn't moved which sounds unlikely now, it's not because Lou refused to do so. IMO if Marty is set on going, lou will definitely find a place for him to go to. His respect for Marty is too high to not work something out.

frankly, i would be fine getting a 4th for him which isn't very much of anything. but i get the feeling lou might even get more. this could be a janssen for salvador type heist

Apparently more than one team is interested and it seems like Halak is the only other goalie on the market. I wouldn't be shocked if we get a second. The Isles game might have helped a lot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

seems like him going to Minny will be happening. So what do we want from them really lets say its happening?

id like to get a prospect or something like Zucker or wtv but i cant see that happening... he wont fetch anymore more than a pick id guess and not a first or a 2nd either

Edited by SterioDesign

seems like him going to Minny will be happening. So what do we want from them really lets say its happening?

id like to get a prospect or something like Zucker or wtv but i cant see that happening... he wont fetch anymore more than a pick id guess and not a first or a 2nd either

If it's a 4th you'd have to be happy with it. It's more than he's worth (future considerations or so) but you never know...name cache and all that.

can't any whole-career Devil just retire with the Devils anymore and not retire with another team? Why can't we have more players like Daneyko who are career Devils? Are we going to be having the same talks about Elias now in a couple years when his contract is up? I dunno it was one thing with Neids going to Anaheim because he wanted the chance to play with his brother, but it's another with this whole Marty BS. I know he wants to play more but honestly I can't see anyone making him a starter and it kind of tarnishes his legacy a little bit if he doesn't end his career here after all he's done for the org.

can't any whole-career Devil just retire with the Devils anymore and not retire with another team? Why can't we have more players like Daneyko who are career Devils? Are we going to be having the same talks about Elias now in a couple years when his contract is up? I dunno it was one thing with Neids going to Anaheim because he wanted the chance to play with his brother, but it's another with this whole Marty BS. I know he wants to play more but honestly I can't see anyone making him a starter and it kind of tarnishes his legacy a little bit if he doesn't end his career here after all he's done for the org.

It's happening all over the league - Alfredsson, St. Louis, even Iginla though that was a mutual decision.  We're not exclusive to having our stars leave at the end of their career although it's getting annoying in general seeing ALL these guys go away at the tail end of their career.

TG said that Kevin Weekes didn't twitter anything about Marty waiving his NTC

He said it on TV apparently.

It does feel weird.  I'm still not entirely ruling out Marty realizing he's not what he was and sticking around and retiring at the end of the season as a Devil (the scenario I think most Devils fans would prefer to see), but that seems more and more like a longshot every minute.  Seems like he wants to set himself up for playing next season.

In bold:  this is so unfair.  He gave you all of his very best, and often gave the Devils discounts to do it (at the very least, he made each re-signing process relatively painless, once he canned his agent).  Think any other goalie will be winning 683 games with one franchise anytime soon?  Anytime ever?  Again, look at the other goalies in his ballpark, in terms of games played and wins...all of them except Marty played for more than one team, and in their primes for that matter.  Marty has more than earned the right to play somewhere else and if he and some other team think he can help them, can't he explore that without it "tarnishing his legacy"?