The Official 2014 Trade Deadline Thread

Derlique

This idea of players going to another team in the twilight of their careers is nothing new and happens in all sports.

Exactly. And it has happened throughout time. It's not a new thing. Fact of the matter is that an athlete's shelf life is short, and if they want to play and there is a team willing to employ them, then why shouldn't they move on. Marty owes nothing to the Devils, and vice versa. If he wants to play another year to get to 700 wins, or because he still has to pay off Melanie, or he just isn't ready to hang up his skates, then who are we to say he should retire. It won't tarnish his legacy, or diminish what he has done for or meant to this franchise in any way.

Edited by Chuck the Duck

How about some kind of package for Niederreiter? What would it cost? Or do you think he's untouchable for the Wild since they just picked him up over the summer?

Obviously it'd take much much more than Marty. Probably either a veteran or an established young D.

I think of it this way. He doesn't want to retire and intends to play next year. Are you comfortable giving him a new contract and bringing him back next year? Even in a limited back up role? Just for nostalgic reasons I can see it, but it's just not practicable.

I would love Marty to retire a Devil. If he said this year was it and he wanted to retire at the end of the season, I would say fine, keep him around. But if he is just going to play elsewhere next year anyway, you might as well get something in return.

How about some kind of package for Niederreiter? What would it cost? Or do you think he's untouchable for the Wild since they just picked him up over the summer?

Obviously it'd take much much more than Marty. Probably either a veteran or an established young D.

The Wild are like the Devils in that they need all the help they can get scoring goals, so they won't be trading away someone like that, unless it's for another forward, which the Devils don't have. 

It doesn't tarnish his legacy at all to me if he goes elsewhere. I just don't want to see it and I especially don't want to see him end up in Minnesota.

But you ESPECIALLY don't want to see him with the Flyers and you ESPECIALLY don't want to see him with the Rangers...but ESPECIALLY NOT the Penguins either or Isles.

What's your point? He's not going to end up on any of those teams anyway.

My point is it reminds me of people said anywhere but Minny for Parise (which to me made little sense). Why would Minny be a problem? I am sure you wouldn't be happy with any situation, but one where he gets to see his kids all the time is the especially?

My point is it reminds me of people said anywhere but Minny for Parise (which to me made little sense). Why would Minny be a problem? I am sure you wouldn't be happy with any situation, but one where he gets to see his kids all the time is the especially?

Did you ever stop and think that some fans don't want him helping/playing with Parise, who isn't exactly held in high universal regard? Perhaps they don't want to have to see Brodeur play in Minnesota's uniform later this month and/or pull out a win and hurt the Devils playoff chances (if they aren't slim by then). 

Did you ever stop and think that some fans don't want him helping/playing with Parise, who isn't exactly held in high universal regard? Perhaps they don't want to have to see Brodeur play in Minnesota's uniform later this month and/or pull out a win and hurt the Devils playoff chances (if they aren't slim by then). 

That's dumb.

So you're assuming A. Marty will play that game and B. Marty will win that game

You're assuming he won't? 

You can't tell me honestly, if he's a member of the Wild, that he isn't playing that game. Come on....don't be thick. Winning the game is hypothetical, but don't sit there and tell me this doesn't set up with variables.

Edited by TheRedStorm

Cause personally for myself I would like to see Marty do well on whatever he desires. I personally won't root for Minnesota cause I refuse to root for Parises team.

Again this is my personal view and of course I don't want Marty to go anywhere but again this is what I want. I've stated that several times.

No matter what happens Martys legacy won't be tarnished to me though.

I think Marty really wants to hit 700.

Based on what?  When has he ever said that this was of major importance? 

Have Brodeur come back later this month and rob two important points away. We'll see then.

Lol. First off, you do realize that, aside from the one game we play against Minny, any game that Minnesota wins can ONLY help the Devils? Secondly, I think you are the ONLY person in the world who even thought of this. Thirdly, why would we be afraid that Marty could steal points from us? The whole point in letting him go is because we don't see his skill as that valuable anymore. I am not even entirely sure why I responded to this, it's silly, but hey, the ridiculousness caught my attention.

All people on this board Ido is talk about how bad Marty is. Now everyone thinks if he plays against the Devils he will win?

Must be all different people posting in this thread.

Marty has been terrible this year, I have no interest in him playing anything resembling starting role ever again.

Doesn't mean I won't be sad to see the most important player in this franchise's history get traded.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Lol. First off, you do realize that, aside from the one game we play against Minny, any game that Minnesota wins can ONLY help the Devils? Secondly, I think you are the ONLY person in the world who even thought of this. Thirdly, why would we be afraid that Marty could steal points from us? The whole point in letting him go is because we don't see his skill as that valuable anymore. I am not even entirely sure why I responded to this, it's silly, but hey, the ridiculousness caught my attention.

Usually i ignore you, as i've seen enough of your posts, but are you serious with this? 

I'd love to see your reaction if Brodeur beats the Devils later this month and damages their playoff hopes. Trust me, i'll be the first one looking for you.

Edited by TheRedStorm

All people on this board Ido is talk about how bad Marty is. Now everyone thinks if he plays against the Devils he will win?

Must be all different people posting in this thread.

Red Storm is the only one I see showing concern about that scenario.  Big difference from "everyone". 

Anyway, if the Devils were ever that worried about Brodeur playing against them in one game and beating them, if they're that mentally fragile, then they've got serious issues.  If anything they'd actually have a nice advantage...they've only been practicing against him forever. 

Red Storm is the only one I see showing concern about that scenario.  Big difference from "everyone". 

Anyway, if the Devils were ever that worried about Brodeur playing against them in one game and beating them, if they're that mentally fragile, then they've got serious issues.  If anything they'd actually have a nice advantage...they've only been practicing against him forever. 

You don't think Brodeur knows the Devils and has a nice advantage against them, either?

It's about Brodeur getting a chance to come back, beat you AND damage your playoff hopes. The Devils are going to need that game. If he all of a sudden turns into vintage Brodeur for that night out of, maybe, spite and circumstance? Some of you are acting like this couldn't happen. 

If the Devils miss the playoffs, it'll be due to other factors overall. With the way this season has gone, if you don't think there's a possibility of Brodeur being the one to hammer the nail in....then let's talk afterward if/when this happens. 

Edited by TheRedStorm