The Official 2014 Trade Deadline Thread

Derlique

Pat Brisson, Luongo and Brodeur's representative, said that he had "conversations" regarding Marty's future prior to the trade deadline.  He just came on Toronto's version of ESPN Radio.  He did say, however, Lou did NOT give him authorization to talk to any teams, unlike what Vancouver did with Luongo.

He also said that Brodeur was "OK" with still being a Devil.

Funny that Brisson seemed very "tentative" when talking about Brodeur and Lamoriello.  It's almost as if he had been given a gag order or had signed a confidentiality agreement with the Devils.  lol.

One of the weird ones trickling in after the deadline.... Calgary trades Reto Berra to Colorado for a 2nd rd pick.  Strange on both ends... A second is a lot for a guy to sit behind Giguere and Varlamov, and now Calgary is rolling with Kari Ramo and Joni Ortio.

Well, Giguere is probably gone after this year. Berra I can see them resigning.

Let's all get some perspective here. Think about the Islanders' GM, Mr. Garth Snow: he basically just traded Matt Moulson, a first round pick, and a second round pick for Sebastian Collberg and a worse second round pick. Collberg better pan out for them or else this team is just choosing to destroy itself...

That's what happens when you try to nickel and dime people and wait for the "better offer"...you end up getting burned.  And burned they have gotten with the whole Moulson / Vanek situation.  It looks as if Buffalo did amazing things with these two guys...lol.

Salvador's contract is not really the issue.  He gets paid what an average NHL defenseman gets, and could have been dealt pretty easily after last year, if the idea was to just get rid of him.  It's frustrating that Lou didn't pull the trigger on that, but again, Larsson just has not been great shakes thus far, and you can't count on him to be any sort of savior in the short term.   It's hard to accept the fact that a highly touted prospect doesn't really meet expectations.  It certainly has been for me. 

salvador's contract is very much an issue in that it exists. i don't care if he made the league minimum with jake taylor. he got 3 years to clog the roster when the devils had others that were more appropriate for that spot.

when larsson has been given a shot, he's been plenty good. admittedly, i am probably higher than actual on him while you are most definitely lower than actual on him but the biggest issue with larsson is that salvador is blocking his path. notice i didn't say volchenkov and that's not because of my bias for him. it's because when volchenkov was signed, his contract made sense (yes it was probably 1 or 2 years too long but that's UFA). the team and roster were setting up for sal to not be resigned. but he had a out of character 6 weeks during the playoffs and here we are 

Let's all get some perspective here. Think about the Islanders' GM, Mr. Garth Snow: he basically just traded Matt Moulson, a first round pick, and a second round pick for Sebastian Collberg and a worse second round pick. Collberg better pan out for them or else this team is just choosing to destroy itself...

Hah, wow I hadn't put this together in my head yet.

That's EMBARRASSING.  

Yup. Worst GM of the day? I'd put Steve Yzerman in there too. He basically let a player bully him into making his contending team weaker. If he were in a hockey market, he would likely be fired.

• Like 1

Pat Brisson, Luongo and Brodeur's representative, said that he had "conversations" regarding Marty's future prior to the trade deadline.  He just came on Toronto's version of ESPN Radio.  He did say, however, Lou did NOT give him authorization to talk to any teams, unlike what Vancouver did with Luongo.

He also said that Brodeur was "OK" with still being a Devil.

Funny that Brisson seemed very "tentative" when talking about Brodeur and Lamoriello.  It's almost as if he had been given a gag order or had signed a confidentiality agreement with the Devils.  lol.

Hopefully this is a wake-up call for Marty. The league holds Devan Dubnyk in higher regard right now... just hang 'em up after this year. Please.

salvador's contract is very much an issue in that it exists. i don't care if he made the league minimum with jake taylor. he got 3 years to clog the roster when the devils had others that were more appropriate for that spot.

when larsson has been given a shot, he's been plenty good. admittedly, i am probably higher than actual on him while you are most definitely lower than actual on him but the biggest issue with larsson is that salvador is blocking his path. notice i didn't say volchenkov and that's not because of my bias for him. it's because when volchenkov was signed, his contract made sense (yes it was probably 1 or 2 years too long but that's UFA). the team and roster were setting up for sal to not be resigned. but he had a out of character 6 weeks during the playoffs and here we are 

That's fair.  But at the same time it's only fair to concede that Salvador and Volchenkov  are part of what is among the best defensive units in the league, if you're going on shots against, goals against, and the penalty kill.  It's hard to say that they have nothing to do with that, or that the shots against and shots/goals for would be significantly better if they were replaced by Larsson. 

Don't get me wrong, I am not reflexively in favor of everything Lou does.  Not giving up the 2012 pick could prove to be a minor disaster.  Not being able to sh!t or get off the pot so far as Larsson being in the NHL or not could prove to be hugely counterproductive. 

I think we'll really know if Lou has completely lost his marbles this offseason. 

I'm looking forward to seeing Motormouth Marty's first interview....

Motormouth Marty...lol

A guy who, for 20 years, has been pretty much a great example of how to deal with pressure, the spotlight, and the media, is suddenly thought of as a motor mouth?  Jesus, I must be getting old, or people are just getting dumber. 

• Like 1

Yup. Worst GM of the day? I'd put Steve Yzerman in there too. He basically let a player bully him into making his contending team weaker. If he were in a hockey market, he would likely be fired.

Yzerman has made some stupid deals, and although they might be weaker today, Callahan could still provide useful to them, depending on what he asks for after this season, and those two picks could also end up being HUGE.  A first and at least a second, which could turn into another 1st.  That's a STEAL for a 38yr old forward who has father time stalking him, not to mention the fact that he didn't want to be there and requested the trade himself.

Wrong. So, who are you over on HF for real?

I actually don't post there :)

He's slow so I imagine if he steps up on the foward they can easily get past him and make him look like a fool.

Yeah, but guys like Stevens, Daneyko, and Driver weren't exactly fast either. 

Edited by NJDfan1711

Hopefully this is a wake-up call for Marty. The league holds Devan Dubnyk in higher regard right now... just hang 'em up after this year. Please.

after last night that was probably such an ego boost for him.. the crowd chanting for him and hes taking it all in as everyone loves him and doesnt want him gone.. will only influence him to try to resign next year

Motormouth Marty...lol

A guy who, for 20 years, has been pretty much a great example of how to deal with pressure, the spotlight, and the media, is suddenly thought of as a motor mouth?  Jesus, I must be getting old, or people are just getting dumber. 

Perhaps you did not read my earlier posts explaining precisely why I made the post you quoted

and apparently the 2nd round pick is conditional on Montreal making the playoffs (they probably will but it just goes to show how low they sold vanek for).