The Official 2014 Trade Deadline Thread

Derlique

Agreed. I don't know if Vanek is the answer but I think the Devils certainly could've matche the offer IF they thought they had a chance of resigning him. Devils still aren't in a position of rentals. They don't have the assets.

I wouldn't care about pissed Brodeur except that I know pissed Brodeur probably means he will get a shot for a lot of games.

Looking at the Vanek trade...and looking at the Devils deal. Just have to shake your head.

Lou did.

I bet Lou tried to move to get anything for him. I don't think teams wanted Marty. He's a headache. He wanted probably a guaranteed shot to play. Anyone who has seen him play knows that is dumb.

I bet Lou tried to move to get anything for him. I don't think teams wanted Marty. He's a headache. He wanted probably a guaranteed shot to play. Anyone who has seen him play knows that is dumb.

I am curious as to what went on behind the scenes with all of this.  If Marty is actually pissed that he's still here (I'd really like to give him the benefit of the doubt on that one), it's truly a shame.  This final chapter seems to be getting uglier by the day.  There's going to be a much higher percentage of "Thank God, just GO already" Devil fans if Marty retires or signs with someone else than I ever thought.

Certainly, having Jagr on the team doesn't help Marty one bit.  He's probably saying to himself, "If this guy can come here and lead the team in scoring at 42, sure as heck I can still play goalie at 41"...

It's a "mine is bigger than yours" enigma the Devils have on their hands.

And let's be fair here, if Jagr was playing 2nd or 3rd line minutes, he would probably suck too.  So, I get Marty's argument here.  "If I don't play, I can't be good..."

I am curious as to what went on behind the scenes with all of this.  If Marty is actually pissed that he's still here (I'd really like to give him the benefit of the doubt on that one), it's truly a shame.  This final chapter seems to be getting uglier by the day.  There's going to be a much higher percentage of "Thank God, just GO already" Devil fans if Marty retires or signs with someone else than I ever thought.

Brodeur and Favre should open up a restaurant together called "Primadonna's"

Regardless of if Marty wanted to stay or if he wanted to go I am happy he is still a Devil. But I really do hope that there is some realisation on his part that this is it. There was a huge market for goal tenders this deadline and only the Wild seemed to have an interest. He basically didn't get a look in.

Also hopefully this makes him appreciate the fact he has been playing as part of a team working dam hard to keep him happy. And that every game he gets is a blessing.

I wouldn't care about pissed Brodeur except that I know pissed Brodeur probably means he will get a shot for a lot of games.

Looking at the Vanek trade...and looking at the Devils deal. Just have to shake your head.

Marty can go fvck himself. No one wanted him.

Who is?

Everybody.  It's disgusting seeing him being treated like this.  All of the posts above I quoted are major overreactions.  Nobody has a damn clue what's going on in his head.  He's been very professional about everything.  He hasn't been in any way disrespectful either.  The guy has done more to earn his right to vent about playing time, then any fan has done to whine about his frustration.

Edited by Mike Brown
  • Like 1

So for Vanek, you probably would have had to trade one of the young defenseman plus a second round pick?  Would you have done that, because I certainly wouldn't.

Otherwise, see my comments in the Ruutu thread as to why I don't think it's the calamity that a lot of people seem to think.

If the Devils fall out of contention I see Marty getting a fair amount of starts, especially at home. If they hang in the race, we are going to see how professional Marty is in handling the situation.

I can see this getting ugly where Marty ends up on waivers.

If the Devils fall out of contention I see Marty getting a fair amount of starts, especially at home. If they hang in the race, we are going to see how professional Marty is in handling the situation.

Marty on waivers, rofl. Like Lou would ever even entertain that thought.

you are out to lunch.

This is one of those posts that in 5 years will be great to bump for a good laugh.

I misread it.  Sorry man.

You misread mine...great job.  I said IF Marty was pissed and I also said I want to give him the benefit of the doubt about him even being pissed.  That qualifies as an overreaction?  Give me a fvcking break.

Motormouth Marty...lol

A guy who, for 20 years, has been pretty much a great example of how to deal with pressure, the spotlight, and the media, is suddenly thought of as a motor mouth?  Jesus, I must be getting old, or people are just getting dumber. 

:clap2:

Marty can go fvck himself. No one wanted him.

Not wanting Marty to play or be on the team is a legitimate opinion and many posters have made valid posts regarding those opinions. As for comments like the one above, they make me embarrassed to argue, as I often do, that Devils fans are a cut above the rest.

Eh, I've always found a lot of Brodeur's comments to be cringe worthy when he gets his back up against the wall.  For years I just wrote it off as him being the one that all the reporters run to and stick a microphone in his face right after a tough loss but I didn't like a lot of his comments the year he melted down against the Rangers and Avery and I'll always remember him throwing Colin White under the bus after Staal blew the series winner past him in the last minute.  His act has really grown tiresome now that he's a below average goalie.   

I do think he'll end up retiring a Devil though.  I suspect today's deadline was a preview of the type of interest he's going to receive this summer.  Given that almost every comment he makes these days is about wanting more playing time and the fact that he plays such a different style that the young goalies in terms of mentoring someone, I just don't see a situation where it makes sense for a GM to bring him in next year.