Arlette

lucifer91

Thought it was kind of an interesting read

http://www.trentonian.com/sports/20140225/devils-anthem-singer-arlette-is-quite-the-hit

The Trinidad native, who goes simply by “Arlette” while performing in Newark, was discovered by legendary New Jersey general manager Lou Lamoriello while the Hockey Hall of Famer was walking past a restaurant called “Vino” on the Upper East Side of New York City in the late 90s.

After a few visits, Lamoriello somewhat coyly approached Arlette about performing before his team’s games.

“One day, this gentleman said, ‘I’m involved with this team, and once and a while we need anthem singers,’” she recalled.

She’d never been to a hockey game before, so she accepted the offer from the somewhat mysterious, yet friendly man. It wasn’t until after she stepped out of the limo a few days later and started to get acclimated with her surroundings that she realized just who she’d been dealing with.

“We found out that he is ‘the man,’” she said with a laugh. “By that time, we’d become such good friends, so I joked with him: ‘I’m involved?’ But he’s such a great person. He’s been so kind to me and my husband, and he’s kind of adopted us.”"

Lou just has his ways, and because of the success he's had here, he gets away with it. There's a price we pays as fans for having such a principled GM, such as a lack of communication and a lot of the 'cool' things that other teams do, but the positives of having such a person in charge are far more rewarding; Lou makes us all a little better.

Is it wrong of me to think Max D does a better job at singing the national anthem for both the US and Canada than Arlette?

Arlette is always good, but I just think Max is better.

Different strokes for different folks. In the context of the Devils and Newark, etc. etc., I think Arlette has a lot more emotion and soul in her voice, while Max is more proper and classically trained (which may work for other venues/teams)...